main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Best Use of the Force Theme

Discussion in 'Star Wars And Film Music' started by DarthSheev, Jun 3, 2015.

1. DarthSheev

DarthSheev Jedi Knight star 4

Mar 9, 2015
    The Force Theme is one of the most iconic pieces of music from the Star Wars franchise. So far, within the six films, which scene has featured the best use of this great theme? My top three would be:

1. The Return of Anakin Skywalker (9:08 into the Battle of Endor II from ROTJ)

I love how it breaks into the overbearing evil of the dark side as we witness Anakin pick up Sidious and throw him into the reactor shaft. Jedi vanquishes Sith. Light vanquishes darkness.

2. Luke's Destiny (2:22 into The Hologram/Binary Sunset)

As Luke watches the twin suns of Tatooine set, he has no idea of the big changes in his life that are about to happen the next day. His future as a Jedi is about to begin.

3. Victory (0:17 into The Throne Room/End Title)

Symbolic of the Rebel Alliance's Defeat over the Empire, I also think it epitomizes the light side's victory over the dark. Hope it's used in Episode IX, presumably in the end credits.

Chancellor Yoda and Darth Dnej like this.
  2. darth_revan96

darth_revan96 Jedi Padawan star 1

Mar 18, 2015
    When Luke is stuck upside down in the Wampa cave and he uses the force to get his lightsaber. It's pretty awesome to see Luke really use the Force for the first time in action.

3. Qui-Riv-Brid

Qui-Riv-Brid Force Ghost star 5

Apr 18, 2013
    My top "one" is in two interations.

Anakin and Obi-Wan at the start of ROTS and Luke and Han at the end of ANH:

http://www.starwarsringtheory.com/ring-composition-chiasmus-hidden-artistry-star-wars-prequels/5/

In the dizzying opening shot of Revenge of the Sith, Lucas’s swansong to his galaxy far far away, the camera follows two Jedi starfighters, piloted by Anakin and Obi-Wan, as they zoom across the surface of a massively long Republic Assault ship and plummet over its side into the chaotic battle below.

As a militaristic rendition of the “Force Theme” plays on the soundtrack, Anakin and Obi-Wan dodge enemy fire and, at Lucas’s request, “fly in perfect harmony to express their friendship.” 1 It’s a breathtaking opener that recalls the visual storytelling prowess of the opening shot of A New Hope 28 years earlier (And at 76 seconds, it’s the longest shot of any Star Wars film).

But when it’s read in terms of the ring structure, another rich layer of complexity is revealed, along with the full extent of Lucas’s visual ingenuity. Because like Clones, Sith begins at the end of its corresponding episode. So, if you can believe it, the continuous shot that opens Sith is actually a wildly imaginative reinterpretation of the final scene in A New Hope, where, following the destruction of the Death Star, newfound friends Luke and Han march in unison up a very long aisle in a throne room medal ceremony—with a military-style “Force Theme” soaring in the background.

As the final film in Lucas’s Star Wars saga, Sith bridges the gap between the original trilogy and prequel trilogy. In terms of the ring composition, however, it’s the last piece of the puzzle.

I don't think this is the best because of the ring structure above (which only was released as an article last year) as I loved these renditions for years but I never actually made the close connection between the two other than the Force theme. The connection to where even Luke is beside Han in yellow and Anakin is in his yellow Jedi fighter beside Obi-Wan just shows how much Lucas was working at a subconscious visual level.

4. Seagoat

Seagoat Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 25, 2013
    So many

The scene where Qui-Gon and Shmi talk about Anakin's birth, then later when he leaves

The intensely dark rendition incorporated into "Battle of the Heroes"

When it's played around the end of Luke's trench run

When Luke communicates with Leia from Cloud City

The bit of it we hear in the second TFA trailer (that unexpected piano key really struck me somehow)

grand_admiral_ewok likes this.
  5. Tho Yor

Tho Yor Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 27, 2001
    So many to choose from! Last month as I was thinking about it, high off the TFA trailer, I realised that this theme managed to be a character of its own in the films, effectively personifying the Force, and it's served as an emotional touchstone throughout all six films - and the fact that it will be back in December is so exciting.

My top five at this particular moment as I think about it:

5) "Now this is podracing!" (TPM) when Anakin destroys the Trade Federation ship - call me an oddball but I love this. Not only musically, for the way it's interspersed with Duel of the Fates and the brassy action music, but also with the fighter pilots all going 'yee-haaaww!!!!!' it creates some rare euphoria in that movie, and the theme makes you instinctively feel that the Force is 'with' Anakin at that moment. It's essentially TPM piggybacking on all the emotional legwork done by the OT but hell it works.

4) In the Wampa's Lair (ESB) - I agree with darth_revan96, this is powerful because it's the beginning of the second SW movie and you're sitting there eager with anticipation for Luke to demonstrate Jedi skills (and use a lightsaber). And hearing the theme as Luke closes his eyes and concentrates makes you instantly hope that he can muster the ability.

3) "Unexpected this is...and unfortunate" (ROTJ) - when Luke presses Yoda to confirm that Vader is his dad, and Yoda stalls, then finally confirms it, a low brass version of the Force theme kicks in, then segue-ing to Yoda's theme. I've always found it quite powerful here.

2) I have always been partial to the "Funeral Pyre for a Jedi" rendition from the end of ROTJ. Coupled with the moment, and the journey that has come to an end for Luke, I always found it incredibly emotive. Before I owned the soundtracks I remember I would re-watch that bit of the film on my VHS copy back in the day. On the special edition soundtrack, after "Leia's News" there is also a really powerful rendition of the theme (well two plays of the four-line motif) that was never used and I've always wondered what (potentially cut) on-screen action that was meant to score.

1) "Use the Force, Luke" (ANH) - in the Battle of Yavin, when the punchy brass and cymbals give way to strings playing only the first two lines of the theme, as Luke hears Obi-Wan tell him "use the force" and turns off his targeting computer. I always get chills at this moment.

6. Tho Yor

Nov 27, 2001
    Totally forgot about this - definitely one of the best.

Seagoat likes this.
  7. darkspine10

darkspine10 Chosen One star 8

Dec 7, 2014
    The bit in AOTC where Anakin leaves to find his mother, then the music segues into Duel of the Fates.

8. Seagoat

Jan 25, 2013

That's an excellent way of putting it! Imagine if the Force Theme didn't exist. Would it really seem as magical as it does now?

Its recurrence is a handy way of letting us know when something major that could influence the course of the galaxy's fate is going on - due to the will of the Force, perhaps?
    In a sense, it is funny how music could feel so tangible

9. Chancellor Yoda

Chancellor Yoda Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 25, 2014

One of the greatest star wars moments ever.

10. Tho Yor

Nov 27, 2001
    Yeah! I wonder how much Williams and Lucas discussed this before JW went away and conceived of the theme - had GL asked for a theme for the Force, and even expressed to JW the kind of role he wanted it to serve? Reminds me I have to go back and finish Rinzler's Making of book and see if it touches on any of the conceptual background for the score.

11. oierem

oierem Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 18, 2009
    I believe it's just an alternative version to the funeral scene. They decided to drop the more heroic version in favour of the other which is more similar to Binary Sunset.

Williams and Lucas usually spot the movie for a couple of days, deciding the kind of role the music need to play in each scene. It's difficult to know if, when they spotted the first movie, they were talking about specific themes. In any case, the Force theme was originally concieved as a theme for Ben Kenobi, who represented the more spiritual side of the story (opposed to Leia's theme, which represents the romantic element of the adventure, Luke's theme, which represents the hero, and Darth Vader's theme, which represents evil).

One notable thing that Lucas did specifically request was to use the Ben/Force theme for the Binary Sunset theme. Williams originally composed a totally different piece, darker, but Lucas preferred a more hopeful approach and requested new music using Ben's theme.

12. Seagoat

Jan 25, 2013
    Interesting to think that the beautiful piece used for one of the most magical forces (no pun intended) in fiction almost was not to be so

13. DarthSheev

Mar 9, 2015
    A couple of other ones:

1. When Ben arrives and checks on Luke after the Tusken Raider attack ("Come here my little friend. Don't be afraid")
    2. "Use the Force, Luke" during the trench run
    3. "Now that's a name I've not heard in a long time. A long time." This one really is amazing, the almost magical quality to it is another reason why I love ANH so much. ANH always was second behind Empire, but I love it even more now than I did before. It's right on TESB's heels. :)

Yeah, I'm very partial to the Force theme in ANH.

14. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    The Binary sunset and Use the Force Luke!

15. darksideDINO

darksideDINO Jedi Knight star 1

Apr 18, 2015
    It's been said many times before, but yeah... the binary sunset. A scene of absolute, sheer greatness!

16. MotivateR5D4

MotivateR5D4 Force Ghost star 5

Apr 20, 2015
    Wampa Cave. Probably my favorite scene in all of the films. The do or die mindset of a young guy, overcoming the apprehensiveness and doubt. Imagine if he had gotten distracted even for a millisecond during that sequence. And indeed, the music.

17. Alexrd

Alexrd Chosen One star 6

Jul 7, 2009
    Obi-Wan departing to Utapau.

18. DARTH_BELO

DARTH_BELO Force Ghost star 5

Nov 25, 2003
    Three for me:

1. The section in the "Throne Room And Finale" piece
    2. The opening of ROTS
    3. The soundtrack piece (from ROTJ): The Skywalker Legacy

19. Camarasaur8

Camarasaur8 Jedi Master

Mar 24, 2013
    "Master Yoda...Obi Wan Kenobi has made contact".

20. Queen Apailana

Queen Apailana Jedi Master star 1

Mar 8, 2015
    A personal favorite of mine is in Burning Homestead. Honestly though, it's great whenever it plays.

Baron_Papanerd and Sarge like this.
  21. General Kenobi

General Kenobi Administrator Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 31, 1998
    "Binary Sunset" is the grand champion of Force Themes.

"Leia! Hear me.... Leia." is always one that sends a chill down the spine.

22. DarthSheev

Mar 9, 2015
    Another good rendition is during Yoda's speech about the Force in TESB ("For my ally is the Force, and a powerful ally it....Luminous beings are we. Not this crude matter").
    Man, now I want to watch The Empire Strikes Back. :)

23. Seagoat

Jan 25, 2013
    That scene gives me spine chills every time

DarthSheev and Trebor Sabreon like this.
  24. SW Saga Fan

SW Saga Fan Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 19, 2015
    For me, the best uses of The Force themes are:

1. The ending of Revenge of the Sith, "A New Hope - End Credits":

2. The funeral pyre at the end of Return of the Jedi, "Leia's news/Light of the Force":

3. When Anakin goes to find his mother in Attack of the Clones, especially when it's combined with the Duel of the Fates theme, "Return to Tatoine":

4. And the classic one in A New Hope, "Binary sunset":

DarthSheev likes this.
  25. Trebor Sabreon

Trebor Sabreon Former Manager star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 15, 2010
    If there can only be one:

[​IMG]

CaptainHamYoyo, Sarge and DarthSheev like this.