main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Best Videogame Story

Discussion in 'Archive: Games' started by rogue_wookiee, Sep 11, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. rogue_wookiee

rogue_wookiee Jedi Youngling star 6

Apr 24, 2004
    What game had the best story?

For me out of the games I've played Deus Ex: Conspiracy was the best. The story just sucks you in and makes you think about conspiracies and secret power plays. I hope it gets made into a movie. It would be better than Tomb Raider and the other game movies. I can't wait for the books by Aaron Allston.

Oh and Night, if you say Biker Mice from Mars... ;)

2. jp-30

jp-30 Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 14, 2000
    Grim Fandango

3. Iwakura

Iwakura Jedi Master star 4

Apr 2, 2001
    hmm, final fantasy x and also all of the silent hill games.

4. YouAgain

YouAgain Jedi Master star 5

Dec 20, 2001
    Keen 3

5. Darth_Kevin

Darth_Kevin Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 30, 2001
    I thought RE: Code Veronica had a pretty decent story line.

Skies of Arcadia was pretty good too.

I have to give Soul Reaver my vote for best though.

6. Siths_Revenge

Siths_Revenge Jedi Youngling star 7

Jul 27, 2004
    Silent Hill 2 had an excellent story. It just sucked you right in.

Red Dead Revolver had a really neat story.

7. Night4554

Night4554 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 9, 2000
    I have no serious remark to add to this thread, so I will simply say:

Biker Mice from Mars

(maybe one day I'll post a video of this game)

¤Night

8. 3d4_12

3d4_12 Jedi Youngling

Nov 9, 2003
    I agree wholeheartedly, Deus Ex has the best story of all the games I've played. Not only is it so immersive, the gameplay, music and plot will have you eating and breathing DX for a long time.

I hope it gets made into a movie.

IMDB says production is cancelled (it was supposed to be released this year). I have mixed feelings about this though. I don't think squeezing an awesome 50+hour game into a 2hr movie will translate well. *shrugs*

9. Syntax

Syntax Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 1, 2001
    I'm kinda partial to 'The Suffering', personally. The story in that game is really cool. The story in both Max Payne games is great, too, along with Tron2.0's story.

10. Vader_vs_Maul

Vader_vs_Maul Jedi Master star 3

Dec 4, 2003
    Isn't the story of Max Payne pretty usual for cop movies?

11. SithForceLord

SithForceLord Jedi Master star 6

Jul 2, 2001
    For a Star Wars title: X-Wing Alliance.

Return to Castle Wolfenstein had a pretty comprehensive plot running through and the story was great... pity for the undead zombie part though :p But I guess that all tied in with operation resurrection.

12. Blithe

Blithe Jedi Master star 4

Jun 24, 2003
    Final Fantasy 7.

13. dark_charlie

dark_charlie Jedi Youngling star 4

Apr 18, 2004
    rygar had a suprisingly great story.

i think of all final fantasies, FF8 has the best story. i love the whole seed mercenary thing. mercenary schools (and i just love rinoa).

mafia had a good story too, but the playstation version of the game sucks, i cant say the same about the pc version cus i never played it.

soul calibur 1 and 2 have realy nice storys (for fighting games, that is).

silver is a nice fairy tale.

metal gear solid 2 has a quite nice cinematic story.

but i cant think of one game that has what could be called THE BEST VIDEOGAME STORY.

14. Charlie_Martel

Charlie_Martel Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 8, 2001
    Vampire: The Masquerade - Redemption.

15. plo_koom

plo_koom Jedi Knight star 5

Nov 26, 2002
  16. alpha_red

alpha_red Jedi Youngling star 5

Aug 24, 2003
    Ocarina of Time, Chrono Trigger/Cross, X-Wing Alliance, Jedi Knight, Jedi Outcast, KOTOR, and Eternal Darkness.

At least for single games, anyway. Some of my other favorite game stories develop over the course of multiple sequels i.e. Mega Man X/Zero and Metroid. Zelda develops (or rather, kind of confuzzles) its story over many games, but OoT has enough story crammed into it to make the list.

17. DarthNoctambulus

DarthNoctambulus Jedi Master star 4

Feb 24, 2003
    Planescape : Torment

"What can change the nature of a man?"

18. Boba_Fett_2001

Boba_Fett_2001 Chosen One star 8

Dec 11, 2000
  19. SoloCommand

SoloCommand Manager Emeritus & GTA Coruscant Developer star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 15, 2001
    Obviously RPGs are gonna feature prominantly in this department, The Baldurs Gate Games are epic and the whole Child of Bhaal storyline is fantastic (although, I did find some of the character-based side stories in BG2 alot more interesting than the main plot). Planescape does it for me too.

But, those two aside, onto the list.

Anachronox, possibly Ion Storms best game ever and a superlatively crafted RPG/Satire story, which unfolds across such a vast, vivid, beautiful and ever involving universe.

Deus Ex, possibly Ion Storms other best game ever, a superlatively crafted RPG/FPS story, with government plots, and all sorts of other things that would keep the avid X-Files fan involved for months. It's not the most varied game though, and monotonously follows a path of noir, confusion and paranoia, which don't keep the game as exciting as it could be, but the Narrative and Diversive Character Development is exceptional.

FF7 eats the perverbial best videogame story cheese, seeing as it's loved by all console toting RPG players. The Game itself is AWFUL, lacklustre graphics, dire 4 dimensional controls, repetitive gameplay.
    But the story entirely makes up for it, it's epic, varied, immersive, moving, full of depth and well-paced (if you can somehow turn the random encounters off).

No One Lives Forever easily wins the best FPS plot, with a scenario packed full of style, and an entirely witty and immersive story that easily rivals any 007 cinema offering.

StarCraft easily has the best story in any strategy game, the three races offer so much depth of story, and the Kerrigan wild-card is played well throughout the whole scenario and into Brood War.

Grim Fandango is the best old skool adventure story (seeing as Sam and Max and DOTT are just pure satire).

20. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    Eternal Darkness- the equivilent of a page turner.

21. Aragorn327

Aragorn327 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 20, 2001
    TIE Fighter.

22. darthmaul3162

darthmaul3162 Jedi Youngling star 1

Mar 24, 2004
  23. Connemara

Connemara Jedi Knight star 6

Nov 18, 2000
    *Grumbles* Everyone should be voting for KotOR, I don't know what's wrong with yall!

All though I will say the story has dulled a bit in my mind seeing as I've played it through 5 times. :p

But yeah, that or Jedi Knight. Now that was just cool. But part of that was probably due to my wicked crush on Yun. [face_devil]

24. SoloCommand

SoloCommand Manager Emeritus & GTA Coruscant Developer star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 15, 2001
    *Grumbles* Everyone should be voting for KotOR, I don't know what's wrong with yall!
    Because BioWare have quite often come up with better :p
    (cough cough Do I have to mention Baldurs Gate again? cough)

25. Siths_Revenge

Siths_Revenge Jedi Youngling star 7

Jul 27, 2004
    Besides, GL did the KOTR story MUCH better in his films/

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.