main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Best Videogames Ever Created

Discussion in 'Archive: Games' started by Gonk, Oct 24, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Gonk

Gonk Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jul 8, 1998
    So I went looking through about 7 or so page and didn't find an equivalent thread, so I'm posting this.

Here's a place for people to post what they think are the best games ever created. My list is going to include a fair number of older games, so I'm sure many will dispute them. I am not, atm, including exlusively online MMORPGs like WoW. In certain cases where titles are close enough in quality, I've grouped them together.

Please note that I have not ranked the following games, either because I think they're the most significant games I haven't played, or becuase it's too soon for me to place on my all timer list yet:

-Grand Theft Auto
    -The Longest Journey
    -Silent Hill
    -Portal
    -Batman: Arkham Asylum

Here we go, counting from lowest with highest at the bottom:

25. Space Quest II (yeah, I said it, bring it on)
    24. Day of the Tentacle
    23. KOTOR I
    22. Baldur's Gate II
    21. Homeworld
    20. KOTOR I
    19. Wolfenstein 3D
    18. Gabriel Knight (I and III)
    17. Ultima (all games)
    16. Grim Fandango
    15. Doom
    14. Simcity (all games)
    13. Tie Fighter
    12. Civilization (all games)
    11. Legend of Zelda (Orcana Of Time)
    10. Street Fighter II
    9. X-Com
    8. Dune II
    7. Final Fanatasy IV/VI
    6. KOTOR II
    5. Starcraft
    4. Bioshock
    3. Fallout (all games)
    2. Planescape: Torment
    1. Star Control II

2. Reynar_Tedros

Reynar_Tedros Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jul 3, 2006
    Super Mario World

/topic

3. Boba_Fett_2001

Boba_Fett_2001 Chosen One star 8

Dec 11, 2000
    Well, we had the Top 200 Video Games countdown last year.

4. MarcusP2

MarcusP2 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 10, 2004
    Your 'top 25' contains KOTOR 1 twice nearly 50 games overall (there are at least 10 and perhaps 16 Ultima games, 5 SimCity games, 6 or 8 Civ games, etc...) I mean, really.

My top 20 is in a PM somewhere for that list above. P:T was right up there though, so I agree on that one.

5. timmoishere

timmoishere Force Ghost star 6

Jun 2, 2007
    [image=http://www.onelastcontinue.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/05/ocarina-of-time-logo2.jpg]
    kthxbye

6. Gonk

Jul 8, 1998
    Your 'top 25' contains KOTOR 1 twice nearly 50 games overall (there are at least 10 and perhaps 16 Ultima games, 5 SimCity games, 6 or 8 Civ games, etc...) I mean, really.

Crap, there was a copy/paste issue in the final 10:

25. Space Quest II (yeah, I said it, bring it on)
    24. Day of the Tentacle
    23. Baldur's Gate II
    22. Homeworld
    21. KOTOR I
    20. Wolfenstein 3D
    19. Gabriel Knight (I and III)
    18. Ultima (all games)
    17. Grim Fandango
    16. Super Mario Brothers (1, 2, 3)
    15. Doom
    14. Simcity (all games)
    13. Tie Fighter
    12. Civilization (all games)
    11. Legend of Zelda (Orcana Of Time)
    10. Street Fighter II
    9. X-Com
    8. Dune II
    7. Final Fanatasy IV/VI
    6. KOTOR II
    5. Starcraft
    4. Bioshock
    3. Fallout (all games)
    2. Planescape: Torment
    1. Star Control II

However in my defense in a lot of cases I have "all games" where the quality of the games and its sequels was comparable enough. KOTOR II was, IMO, significantly better than KOTOR I, though it was already a great game.

The Civ games were all about equally good -- perhaps IV was a bit of a letdown but I was willing to split the difference, and the same with the SimCity games.

And those Ultima games might look dinky now but in thier day they were very impressive. But I wasn't going to sit down and compare the finer points of Ultima VI, V, and IV. They were all good for what they did -- becoming an Avatar, dealing with the Gargoyle race, etc... unless I thought the difference was signifcant enough (like KOTOR or say, Final Fantasy IV/VI and the other games of the series -- although I was seriously considering posting FF VII which was of course another standout) I left many of the series together as one.

As for the top 200 games... I refuse to recognize a list that leage that doesn't have SCII ANYWHERE on it.

7. Aragorn327

Aragorn327 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 20, 2001
    TIE Fighter

8. The_Chim

The_Chim Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jul 16, 2001
    TIE Fighter: Empire

9. Commander_Ducky

Commander_Ducky Jedi Master star 3

Nov 5, 2008
    Pac Man = Best. Game. EVER.
    followed by Half Life 2, Portal, and TF2

10. Barriss_Coffee

Barriss_Coffee Chosen One star 6

Jun 29, 2003
    That was the very first (computer) game I ever played. If fact, it was the first time I ever used a computer, come to think of it.[face_thinking]

In retrospect, SQIV was probably my favorite, but I'll never forget SQII.

11. MarcusP2

Jul 10, 2004
    Was that the one you started in the junkyard? I always tried to pick up the metal plate and watched Roger die in a fountain of blood. Love you Sierra.

My first game was King's Quest III. Feeding the chickens death. Walking down the cliff death. Turned into a cat death. Eaten by bears death. Drowned death. Love you Sierra.

12. Gonk

Jul 8, 1998
    Was that the one you started in the junkyard? I always tried to pick up the metal plate and watched Roger die in a fountain of blood. Love you Sierra.

No, it was the one where you started out sweeping up the outside of a spacestation.

13. Asterix_of_Gaul

Asterix_of_Gaul Jedi Master star 5

Sep 13, 2007
    Some not mentioned:

Suikoden II (One of the best RPGs of all time, regarded as the best in the series by most)
    Mega Man X (evolution of the Mega Man series)
    Uncharted II (following the likes of Tomb Raider--it is one the best games in the adventure genre, thus far)

This is not, perhaps, one of the best videogames ever created, but it is, in my opinion, the ultimate samurai game (and the sequel isn't bad either)--

Way of the Samurai

14. JediMatteus

JediMatteus Jedi Grand Master star 5

Sep 16, 2008
    Deus Ex 1 and 2. are the best i think.

also loved Vampire Masquerades Bloodlines, The Beast Within which is like 15 years old, Kotr 1 and 2- liked 2 better, Fallout 3, Bioshock, Civ 4, Metal gear 2, Zelda 2, GTA 3, Diablo, Empire At War, Madden 95, Warcraft 2, Heroes of might and magic 3 ( awesome awesome game)Willow on NES, Batman: Arkym Asylum.

15. Chance the Jedi

Chance the Jedi Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jul 25, 2005
    For me it has to be The Elder Scrolls III: Morrowind and KoTOR.

16. Salty

Salty Jedi Grand Master star 5

Dec 24, 1998
    My top 5

1)Final Fantasy VII
    2)Zelda: A Link to the Past
    3)Super Metroid
    4)Galaga
    5)Wolfenstein 3D

Honorable Mention

1)X-COM UFO Defense

17. Barriss_Coffee

Barriss_Coffee Chosen One star 6

Jun 29, 2003
    You like III's. The junkyard was Space Quest III. For some reason it took me an inordinate amount of time to get out of there.

The Sierra "Quest" games were pretty good, come to think of it. Space Quest. King's Quest. Quest for Glory. Ecoquest. There were probably more... can't remember. Amazing what they could do with these old screen-by-screen adventure games. (Although, to be fair, King's Quest VIII was something of a FPS...)

18. MarcusP2

Jul 10, 2004
    Police Quest.

Quest for Glory was always my favourite. QfG III was the worst one though, breaking my streak. :p

19. Gonk

Jul 8, 1998
    Man, maybe I should have said PQ instead of SQII.

The original PQ was great in that it was long and had a lot of things going on. I think LS Larry II had similar strengths.

20. TiniTinyTony

TiniTinyTony JCC Super Bowl Pick 'Em Winner star 7 VIP - Game Winner

Mar 9, 2003
    QFT (concerning 1, 2, and 3 of your top 5).

21. Chewgumma

Chewgumma Chosen One star 7

Apr 14, 2009
    The best video game ever is undoubtedly Space Invaders. It recently enjoyed it's 30th anniversery (I think) and still enjoys numerous reissues to this very day. It's simple, addictive and just full of retro coolness.[face_laugh] High profile video game events like Video Games Live sport the 8-bit design as their logo, you can even buy T-shirts with the sprites on and not look like a dork!

Everyone should love Space Invaders.

22. Salty

Salty Jedi Grand Master star 5

Dec 24, 1998
    I love Space Invaders but I think Galaga took that concept and made it better.

23. melkor834

melkor834 Jedi Master star 3

Oct 24, 2009
    My favorite game of all time is The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time.

24. KnightFr0mOssus

KnightFr0mOssus Jedi Youngling star 1

Apr 26, 2009
    Mass Effect, KOTOR, Monster Hunter Freedom 2 Unite, Advent Rising

25. Gonk

Jul 8, 1998
    In my head there was for a very long time a division with gamers between those who favored computer games versus those who favored consoles. Plenty of crossover, of course, but for myself I had an Atari way, way back when I was 5 or 6, and then the NES. And then that was essentially the last console I had that was my own before getting my Xbox 360. So that sort of colors my choices, naturally. I'd thought for a long time that I could get, on the whole, a much better experience on my computer than a console.

Not that the console didn't have great games: just that I was a lot more interested in the sort of stuff that came on on computers. And plenty of people had a healthy dose of both.

I think that seperation's finally closed with the onset of the XBox and PSP. The difference has essentially merged at this point as the consoles have adopted more and more complex electronics. I mostly just use my computer for programming and surfing the internet now.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.