main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Best Visual Effect Of the Prequels

Discussion in 'Prequel Trilogy' started by filmcell, Jan 5, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. filmcell

filmcell Jedi Youngling

Apr 29, 2004
    I think there have been discussions regarding similar topics & if this is too close to the others please redirect, but I was curious from you out there, in your mind "What was the best visual effect of the entire prequel trilogy?" I want to praise these masters who created all of these effects transporting me to another world for a couple of hours. It can be an explosion in space, a piece of clothing, etc. Don't be so broad, like saying, "I like the entire Anakin vs. Obi-Wan" duel. Center it on one specific visual. George Lucas may have had the imagination for creating this world but these artists are the true visionaries bringing it to life. Well, my best visual effect would be from Episode II when Yoda looks at Chancellor Palpatine with worry about his actions. That one visual totally changed my attitude on the fx department. Doing a horrible job on EP I with the puppet. I know alot of fx people were in charge of creating Yoda for EP II but that one shot of his face, with all his expressions, were totally right on. Hats off to the talented artist for making it happen.

Your Thoughts??

2. DuDisNow

DuDisNow Jedi Youngling star 1

Jan 2, 2007
    The light saber duals.

3. Master_Starwalker

Master_Starwalker Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 20, 2003
    Oo, that's a great question but I need to think a bit before I can answer.

4. BruceM

BruceM Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 8, 2006
    I think the battle of the heros worked out, both SvY and AvO

5. DuDisNow

DuDisNow Jedi Youngling star 1

Jan 2, 2007
    That's my fav too.

6. ROTS_Obi1

ROTS_Obi1 Jedi Master star 4

Mar 16, 2005
    I say battle droids from TPM. Simply stunning. I still sometimes question if that is CG or not.

7. Darth-Erevos

Darth-Erevos Jedi Youngling star 1

Sep 19, 2006

Hmm. Thats a tough question. You are talking about the 3 movies with the best visual effects of all times. If i really had to answer i d say the lava flow during battle of heroes. Its just perfect. No other word can describe it.

8. Dark_Faith

Dark_Faith Jedi Youngling star 3

Jan 30, 2004
    How can I pick one? Well the best CGI CHARACTER (or most realistic) has to be General Grievous.

The best Visual effect shot of all the PT...hmmmMaybe one of the shots of Coruscant but I'm not completely sure.

9. sith_rising

sith_rising Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 7, 2004
    Some of my favorite PT visual effects:

general grievous
    podrace
    battledroids
    kamino environment
    geonosis battle
    coruscant speeder chase
    watto
    ROTS space battle
    naboo gungan battle

The Clones looked good many times, but sometimes, not so much. Same with CG Yoda.

10. Kwenn

Kwenn Jedi Grand Master star 5

Mar 30, 2001
    The battle droids definately looked real in TPM - though not so much in AotC and RotS for some reason. The clones were excellent, too.

Some of the backdrops looked stunning, too, especially Coruscant as a whole, and that shot of Tantive IV approaching Theed in RotS. That was a gorgeous shot.

Grievous looked pretty good, but then so did Jar Jar. Regardless of what you think of his actual character, the CG work still holds up now, and of course pioneered everything that came after it.

11. Sinnion

Sinnion Jedi Youngling star 3

Sep 24, 2006
    Agree.

Greivious was rediculously Real, he was amazing.

The ROTS shots of Coruscant are by far some of the best matte and CG I've ever scene.

Utapau was AMAZING.

Yoda in ROTS.

I have to say ROTS had by far the best special effects I've ever scene in a movie.

When everyone walked out of the theatre, all we were talking about was how rediculous(in a good way) and Spectatular the effects were. We were lost in every shot.

12. _Sublime_Skywalker_

_Sublime_Skywalker_ Jedi Master star 4

May 8, 2004
    That is asking alot. The graphics are so well done, sometimes cheesy [mostly in AOTC] but amazingly done none the less. The ships, the planets, the clone troopers and battle droids, the space battles. Even how Christopher Lee really looks like he's doing the duels even though its a stunt body with his head animated on. Definatly above all, The lightsaber duels and of course, the great master yoda.

13. On_Your_Six

On_Your_Six Jedi Youngling star 1

Jun 5, 2005
    Well, I have nothing so specific as a piece of cloth or anything, but I think Otoh Gunga was visually stunning... Truly the most otherworldly environ in the Prequels, well, of course the whole Saga, utterly spectacular... Keep in mind I'm not commenting on entire scenes... Aside from that, I thought Theed was a rather enchanting place, and the "salt" waterfall effect was perfect... hehe... Of course I could go on and on about the "cinematography" of the prequels...

14. Thegoat

Thegoat Jedi Master star 1

Jul 28, 2004
    The battle droids from TPM (honest to God I thought they were advanced stop motion effects on first viewing) and the clone troopers. Both were stunningly real.

My favorite is probably the droid dekas (sp?). The visuals fit so perfectly with the sound, and the way the roll up, unfold, snap their shields on and start blasting the jedi makes up for every Jar Jar gag in the movie.

15. JAWA64

JAWA64 Jedi Knight star 3

Jun 20, 2006
    I think the acklay in episode 2 was really cool, also when Anakin lights on fire. That was special effects right?

16. Obi-Chron

Obi-Chron Jedi Master star 4

Nov 11, 2003
    Agreed that the duel on Mustafar is tops for too many reasons to list.

I'd place the Boga far above Greivous for best visual effect 'creature' in the trilogy. That lizard was visually spectacular!

17. _Sublime_Skywalker_

_Sublime_Skywalker_ Jedi Master star 4

May 8, 2004
    I'm pretty sure it was seeing as Hayden has no present burn marks. But yes, that was also a great breakthrough for special effects. Theres been people set on fire in movies before, but Lucas perfected it beyond belief.

18. OBIJUAN76

OBIJUAN76 Jedi Youngling star 2

Feb 6, 2006
    Battle of the Heros. From start to finish!
    I thought the Yoda/Dooku Duel was really well done, as well as the Pod Race. Although all three films had their moments.

19. dianethx

dianethx Jedi Grand Master star 6

Mar 1, 2002
    The night view from Padme's apartment in ROTS. Stunning and incredible. The other things mentioned were wonderful, too, but this scene really did it for me.

20. Sinnion

Sinnion Jedi Youngling star 3

Sep 24, 2006
    Yes the boga was truly cool.

21. icqfreak

icqfreak Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 7, 1999
    I agree on this one. Just watch that helicopter shot of the city panning to their apt, then compare it to a similar scene in tpm when the show of a night shot of the city then move to the discussion between sidious and maul. It's a huge difference in quality.

22. Darth_Zoo

Darth_Zoo Jedi Master star 4

Jul 15, 2002
    The battle droids in TPM are pretty amazing. It took me awhile to figure out they were CGI!

GG also looked very real sometimes like it is just an elaborate costume/machine.

23. the-shrude-dude

the-shrude-dude Jedi Youngling star 1

Sep 4, 2005
    funny init. Sometimes the effects (CGI really im talking here) are the best of any movie. Sometimes they're just rubbish. The battle in AOTC is particularly bad - the clone troopers - man. Looks baaad.

Then, the ship crashing through the atmosphere on coruscant. Love it. Brilliant.

24. Chancellor_Ewok

Chancellor_Ewok Chosen One star 7

Nov 8, 2004
    Yeah. That was a great moment, almost on the level of the opening shot of Ep.IV.

25. HanEllis

HanEllis Jedi Youngling

Jun 6, 2006
    The pod race.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.