main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

PT Best way to convince a random fan to like the prequels?

Discussion in 'Prequel Trilogy' started by JammerPickle, Dec 16, 2016.

1. JammerPickle

JammerPickle Jedi Padawan star 1

Nov 20, 2016
    What simple paragraph or sentence do think has the best chance of convincing a random fan to like the prequels, example: I know a few guys who always tell me the prequels suck. I have tried everything but they won't believe me. Also, these aren't some random people they are friends. But the question is a theoretical random prequel hater.

2. ezekiel22x

ezekiel22x Chosen One star 5

Aug 9, 2002
    I don't think there's any convincing someone who thinks they "suck." Although to briefly explain why I prefer the PT:

The trilogy feels to me like a perfect fusion of blockbuster Lucas and THX-style "artsy"/subversive Lucas. In terms of characterization, plot, and theme, I find the PT more challenging, interesting, and relevant than the Star Wars norm. Not only do I care about the characters, but they make me think. Visually and design-wise I think the PT is uniquely beautiful. Painterly and fantastic for the most part, although rugged and real where appropriate. Lastly, these types of films are supposed to be fun, and the PT's action is first rate.

3. JammerPickle

Nov 20, 2016
    ezekiel22x thanks! I've always thought that one major factor why the prequels is good is the conversations they bring.

4. Seagoat

Seagoat Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 25, 2013
    Lend them your copies and tell them how to press the play button

5. JammerPickle

Nov 20, 2016
    Seagoat It is sad how many people haven't even seen the prequels, personally I always liked them. But, I had not seen them in years and when I got back into Star Wars I waited a long time ( a few months ). Mainly due to it not being easily available online(legally). By then I knew so much about Star Wars lore and saw all the clone wars episodes, yet I didn't see the movies in along time. I feel that probably is the same with people who hate the prequels. I'll try that out.

6. Jedi Knight Fett

Jedi Knight Fett Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2014
    CGI was used in Rogue one look how well that turned out. :p

Bam argument closed.

7. heels1785

heels1785 Skywalker Saga + JCC Manager / Finally Won A Draft star 10 Staff Member Manager

Dec 10, 2003

[​IMG]

Seriously. I've watched The Phantom Menace five times in the last eight days. I'm not a huge fan of some of the Gungan action, and Ric Ollie irritates me as much as the next guy - but in its entirety, I love the story that is told, and I am invested in the characters. Watching Qui-Gon get speared never gets easier to watch. The immediate cut to prowling Maul after Anakin's ship loses power never gets less scary. And I always cheer for R2 when he gets the deflector shield fixed.

8. theraphos

theraphos Jedi Knight star 2

May 20, 2016
    Nothing. People are allowed to not like things, even things that you like, and it doesn't make them wrong. Nor is it something to go through life thinking you can (or should) try to prove them "wrong" about somehow. Liking things is not an argument to be won. People just don't like stuff sometimes.

If they tell you they don't like the prequels just say "that's cool, I do though" and change the subject.

DrDre, Echo7even, CIS Droid and 2 others like this.
  9. rpeugh

rpeugh Force Ghost star 4

Apr 10, 2002
    I dont know. I have encountered many PT haters on this forum who claim they have seen the movies many times and have tried hard to like them but just cant. (Though I wonder if anybody watches particular movies that many times do they really hate it as much as they say the do?) All I can say is that I have seen them many times and still love them. My expectations for TPM were extremely low and in the weeks leading up to the release of TPM I was acting just like the bashers. But when I finally saw the movie I just couldnt hate it. I was charmed. It felt just like SW. Apparently a few of them hate TFA so much that it has at least gotten them to appreciate the effort that went in to the prequels. All I can say is that I truly believe that if they are judged by the same standard that the OT was judged by they have to be objectively viewed as solid efforts. I can respect the argument that they dont meet the standards of the OT. But it absolutely baffles me that TFA is viewed by many as a better SW film and film in general. Prequels are better films and way better SW films than TFA.

You might show them this article: http://nypost.com/2015/12/16/why-the-force-awakens-made-me-like-the-star-wars-prequels-more/
    From the article:
    " But the scorned prequels got one big thing right — the intangible “Star Wars” spirit.“The Phantom Menace,” “Attack of the Clones” and “Revenge of the Sith” all felt like honest-to-goodness “Star Wars” entries, despite their shortcomings. They oozed mythology, gravitas, nonstop momentum and unwavering earnestness — hallmarks of the series at its best. "

You know what were never hallmarks of the series? Acting and dialogue. I was so relieved that the prequels got all those previous qualities right that I didnt care about imperfect acting or dialogue. Because I didnt think Lucas would even get those qualities right after 16 years of producing mediocre stuff like Howard the Duck and Willow. I thought they would be soulless movies like TFA.

10. Tonyg

Tonyg Jedi Master star 4

Jan 16, 2016
    My impressions are that the random fans like the prequels. Or like most of them, especially ROTS. There is special sort ot fans that dislike them: 1. brainwashed from some vloggers (RLM and other trash) 2. OT desperate purists with a special branch of “I like TESB only“ (now these are the strangest SW fans for me). I say “desperate“ because these are not the fans who think that OT is much better. 3. TFA new fans (who wasn‘t on SW before this movie) who think that the mainstream is to hate PT. So, out of this the random fans like them or at least think they are OK. But the visual delight of PT world building, less war and less schematic good/bad guys is always an argument. That‘s why PT is the only opportunity to make a woman to like SW if you have such intentions of course ;) Is not that they are for girls, is just they show the girls as integrated part of their world, in OT they are a little alienated (yes, including Lea).

11. {Quantum/MIDI}

{Quantum/MIDI} Force Ghost star 5

Dec 21, 2015

Ric annoys people? Since when?

Never really heard this till now...

12. Utah_CUtiger

Utah_CUtiger Jedi Padawan

Dec 16, 2016
    I also opt for the Palpatine angle and compare how layered and complex his plan is in the prequels to his rather plain and unimaginative plan in the Classics. I tell them to really focus on the fall of Anakin and Palpatine's machinations behind it. Try to see past the shenanigans and trifling stuff

Tonyg likes this.
  13. JammerPickle

Nov 20, 2016
    theraphos Everyone has a opinion, sure, but opinions can change.

14. JammerPickle

Nov 20, 2016
    Utah_CUtiger I think that the basic plot is so much more intriguing than the OT, but the OT's execution was much better.( acting and such ). I feel like if they seriously removed a Anakin and padme's romance scenes (I hate the sand). Opinions of the PT would go way up.

15. rpeugh

rpeugh Force Ghost star 4

Apr 10, 2002
    ^ Actually it would have been stronger if they had left in the scenes at Padme's house.

16. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval Head Admin & TV Screaming Service star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Aug 19, 2003
    "If you like Return of the Jedi, don't move the criticism goalposts and you'll probably love these, too..."

Strongbow and Darkslayer like this.
  17. Darkslayer

Darkslayer #1 Sabine Wren Fan star 7

Mar 26, 2013
    Just have them watch the movies.

Seriously. People complain a lot about the PT but if they actually watch them you'll get a lot of reactions of "Oh, that was actually pretty good."

It's just the Internet culture that exacerbates PT hate. I don't think many ACTUALLY hate them.

18. theraphos

May 20, 2016
    I think you may have skipped over the rest of my post. There are no secret equations to make people like something. There's no magic bullet super logical argument paragraph you can present to a person that will make them say "gosh, you're right, this thing I don't like is actually the most amazing thing ever!" It's not a winnable argument. It's not even an argument. It's just a difference in tastes, and it's better for all concerned to just accept that and move on. You're not going to be able to make other people share your tastes, any more than I can force someone else to like lima beans.

People will dislike things you like, and like things you dislike. It's really not a big deal.

If someone dislikes the prequels now and rewatches them five years from now and finds something they like at that point in their lives, great! But you can't make that happen just so other people's opinions will match yours. It's out of your control.

19. JammerPickle

Nov 20, 2016
    theraphos I'm not trying to control people's interests, but instead looking for the answer to the question the best thing that will convince a random person to like the prequels.

20. ezekiel22x

ezekiel22x Chosen One star 5

Aug 9, 2002

Well let's try this "convincing" experiment right now. I don't have a problem with the sand line. Isn't it maybe possible that Anakin (in his slightly awkward way) is drawing a comparison between the life of slavery he lived on a desert planet and his current reality that sees him spending time with someone he cares about on a world that is like a paradise? When you think about that brief interlude on Tatooine is pretty much the only time in the whole film saga that Anakin experiences something close to true contentment. Even becoming a Jedi on Coruscant wasn't quite the freedom he thought it was cracked up to be. In some ways his slave life on Tatooine had "gotten everywhere" except for that moment on Naboo with Padme. To me the line is a nice moment of characterization. A little cheesy, sure, but this is the same series with dialogue about laser brains and dirty hands and whining about a Muppet stealing one's dinner. I'd dare say even the Gritty War Film that was Rogue One had a one or two lines of pure cheese. If anything I'd say the sand line is more believable to me given that it wasn't designed as the type of quip-snark that is at home in any number of action movies.

21. Qui-Riv-Brid

Qui-Riv-Brid Force Ghost star 5

Apr 18, 2013
    Watch them yourself and making up your own mind is much better than having others watch them and make up your mind for you is a start.

Once that is done then you can go from there.

Andy Wylde, TX-20 and Prisic Duskleap like this.
  22. HevyDevy

HevyDevy Force Ghost star 5

Apr 13, 2011
    I feel the movies are largely misunderstood, but hey that's just me.

23. theraphos

May 20, 2016
    And I'm telling you - again, I guess - that that is a pointless effort and there's no such "magic argument" to be made. You cannot convince people to like things they don't like. It's out of your control.

Also please stop @ name-tagging me every time you respond, it's not necessary and it's giving me extra notifications to sort through when I already have a lot of notifications.

24. DBPirate

DBPirate Jedi Master star 4

Jun 20, 2015
    Usually it is impossible to change someone's opinion on a Star Wars movie. Last year, I loaned someone my SW Blu-Ray set so they could watch the prequels. They said they didn't like TPM or AOTC and just thought ROTS was "cool." Sometimes I think people have preconceived notions going into them and will hate the movies no matter what. They are too different from the originals, I guess. That could be off-putting.

Maybe let them watch TCW and that might change their mind. Might.

Prisic Duskleap likes this.
  25. icqfreak

icqfreak Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 7, 1999
    I think best way is to be unapologetic about your love for them and why they are worthy entries just like the OT..

I have two coworkers who are both casual fans and dislike the PT. I keep being the odd one out since I like them all. But by reinforcing that during conversations I've gotten one of them to consider rewatching the PT to see if they are as bad as he remembers.