main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Best & Worst Broadcasters

Discussion in 'Archive: The Arena' started by Baron-Soontir-Fel, Nov 16, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Shackleton

Shackleton Jedi Master star 4

May 16, 2004
    I'm a fan of Kornheiser also, as I try to catch PTI when I can. I'd have to say the one I absolutely can't stand is Joe Buck. I almost broke down in tears when it was announced that he would take James Brown's spot on Fox's NFL pregame show. I don't really have any qualms about any one else, though.

2. Rogue...Jedi

Rogue...Jedi Administrator Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 12, 2000
    I actually like Dick Vitale, although preferably in limited amounts.

Billy Packer, however, I don't like.

If this were about general ESPN people I'd say a lot more, but most of them aren't actually broadcasters.

3. Juliet316

Juliet316 39x Hangman Winner star 10 VIP - Game Winner

Apr 27, 2005
    *winces* I completely forgot about Dicky V. Scratch what I said before: Vitale is the worst broadcaster on the face of the planet. I get a headache within 30 seconds of hearing his voice.

4. NorCalBirdz

NorCalBirdz Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 28, 2004
    Probably the worst NFL Crew of all time was the ESPN SNF crew of Patrick, McGuire, and Theismann.

"Hey, now look at this here, this is amazing. Watch, Daunte Culpepper sees that he rush is coming and then, watch, watch this...<nothing happens>.....oh...."

Whenever there was an instant replay challenge their opinion was almost always wrong.

I like Joe Buck, but I agree with whoever said that he tries to be too dramatic alot. Especially when there's a throw over the middle. "OVER THE MIDDLE it's Shockey for a 5 yard gain"

Probably the worst announcing spectable I've ever heard was in 2003 when Wanny got fired before the season was over. They brought him into the booth for one of the Z games on FOX and it was just embarassing.

5. DarthPoppy

DarthPoppy Jedi Master star 4

May 31, 2005
    Best ever: Chick Hearns (L.A. Lakers, died a couple years ago-invented the phrases Slam Dunk! Game is in the refrigerator! Garbage Time! In and out--Heartbreak!, etc.)

Worst: Tim McCarver.

6. imperial_dork

imperial_dork Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 11, 2003
    For hockey, I loved Thorne and Clement. I can't stand Darren Pang, and was especially peeved at him when he was asking Marty Brodeur about his divorce just after the Devils won the Cup in 2003 (and after he said he didn't want to discuss it). [face_plain]

And I hate, haaaaate Joe Buck. Every week, I keep hoping Aikman is going to finally *****slap him.

7. Strilo

Strilo Manager Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 6, 2001
    Tim McCarver is the worst freakin sports announcer ever. The man is SUCH a moron. Every game he says something so moronic that I have to yell at the TV. I know SO many people who turn on the AM radio commentators for games he does on TV. Why this idiot is still around, I have no clue.

Al Michaels and Bob Costas are my two favorites. Keep in mind I am speaking only for baseball. I have no idea what they are like on other sports.

8. G-FETT

G-FETT Chosen One star 7

Aug 10, 2001
    I find the main thing thats important for a truely legendary commentator is that they need to have a unique and distinctive voice. Although he made many gaff's F1 commentator Murray Walker WAS the voice of Formula 1. His voice somehow translated to the audiance the high octane drama that vintage F1 was all about.

Another excellent UK commentator was Snooker's "Whispering" Ted Lowe. His was almost the opposite of what Murray Walkers voice was like, but again, his distintive voice summed up everything you needed to know about the sport he was commentating on.

9. Herman Snerd

Herman Snerd Jedi Master star 6

Oct 31, 1999

Really? I find Kornheiser to be absolutely ponderous when he's speaking on MNF. Maybe he looks okay by comparison, but he brings nothing to the game when he's on.

Now, I do enjoy PTI a lot. Great show and I love the rapport between the hosts.

One guy who surprised me by how good he became in the booth was Troy Aikman. First few times he called a game I thought he was still battling some lingering concussions. But as time went on I appreciated his laid back approach. He didn't try to be bombastic or entertaining. He just talked about what was actually happening on the field and quite often brought some good insight.

10. DarkPrince

DarkPrince Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 10, 2005
    Best: For hockey I love Doc Emmerich(sp?). He is by far the best, IMO. He is the voice for the Devils and all of hockey when he calls a game. I love listening to him while watching the playoffs (even though my Devils didn't make it far)last year, :() For some reason I don't like Chico Resch, he doesn't seem like a bad person, but I just can't take listening to him even though Doc makes up for him. I don't know what it is. I just don't think he has the voice for broadcasting.

For baseball, I would really like to hear more of Al Leiter during the season. His time doing the broadcasts for the Yankees wasn't that bad, I would really hope he would talk more though. I don't think I like Michael Kay that much. Ken Singleton is the best that I could pick from that group along with Jim Kaat (although he retired). On ESPN for baseball, I really like Joe Morgan and the other guy he's always with, I always forget his name.

Worst: Joe Buck, seriously I can't stand this guy. He just shouldn't be broadcasting. I can't watch a game with him on, I have to put it on mute. [face_plain]

11. Yodave27

Yodave27 Jedi Master star 4

Feb 2, 2001
    Fixed for "homer" calling.

12. Kyptastic

Kyptastic VIP star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 10, 2005
    For Cricket, Richie Benaud is the best commentator by far. His subtlety and wonderful knowledge complement the actual game beautiful and it will be a sad day when he does retire from it.

Worst, I would have to say Tony Greig. He's not actually a bad commentator, but he is so Anti-Australian that it shines through and can ruin a broadcast.

13. lovelucas

lovelucas Jedi Master star 4

Mar 19, 2004
    best: Jim McKay - the Wide World of Sports - and best sportscaster of Olympics.

14. DarthTunick

DarthTunick SFTC VII + Deadpool BOFF star 10 VIP - Game Host

Nov 26, 2000
    Best: [image=http://losangeles.dodgers.mlb.com/la/photo/vin_scully_tribute/405vinnie.jpg] The greatest baseball announcer the sport has seen.

[image=http://www.lewrockwell.com/north/hearn.jpg] Lakers broadcasts have never been quite the same since he died. @};-

[image=http://www.risfsp.org/images/Walton_Bill2.jpg] He really needs to do more NBA brodcasts, because he's really great to listen to.

[image=http://www.americansportscastersonline.com/images/almichaels.jpg] He does it all. :p

Worst: [image=http://www.americansportscastersonline.com/images/tmac.jpg] I don't have the hatred for him as many people do, but he is Captain Obvious in the booth.

15. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
    I used to love Phil Rizzuto (NY Yankees) - in fact I met him & got his autograph back when the Yankees were sharing Shea Stadium with the Mets. And if you listen to Meatloaf's Paradise by the Dashboard Light that's Rizzuto doing the brief bit of baseball coverage during the song.

16. Drew_Atreides

Drew_Atreides Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 30, 2002
    OH dear GOD NO!

Hawk is the absolutely most brutally annoying horrible broadcaster i've ever heard. Everytime i hear that "He gone" i want to drive down to chicago and filet him. This past season watching Tiger games on MLB.com (where you always get the home team feed).....I didn't think I could hate anyone as much as I do Tim McCarver, but....Hawk, you managed to pull it out of me.

He and the crew are just SO lacking in professionalism it's unreal.

That's actually the major problem with most broadcasters. Everyone's a shameless homer.

The art of quality broadcasting is near death!

(That being said Vin Scully is unquestionably the best thing currently going. I could listen to that guy all night long.)

17. Darth-Lando

Darth-Lando Jedi Grand Master star 6

Aug 12, 2002
    When it comes to baseball announcers, I'm quite fond of Jon Miller. Not only does he call a great game, but he actually takes the time to learn the player's names. He asks the players themselves how they want it pronounced.

18. Drew_Atreides

Drew_Atreides Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 30, 2002
    Yes, that's why he referred to Tigers pitching sensation "Jason" Verlander in their first round series against the Tigers (though to be fair, i'm sure it was written into his contract with ESPN that he had to devote all of his preparation time to the Yankees).

19. THE_JEDI_GUARDIAN

THE_JEDI_GUARDIAN Jedi Youngling star 3

Jul 18, 2006
    This guy http://youtube.com/watch?v=0-GHJTvXHiQ
    lol

20. solojones

solojones Chosen One star 10

Sep 27, 2000
    Madden is the best in terms of the most unintentionally amusing :p He adds so much to the entertainment of the game with his "WTH" commentary.

Al Michaels is very good. I also really enjoy Cris Collingsworth, actually. He isn't afraid to speak his mind and he has a really good grasp of the NFL, both in terms of players and the sociology of everything.

One of my favourite current teams is Kevin Harlan and Rich Gannon. I like their calling, but I'm also biased towards them because Harlan used to be the announcer for the Chiefs and Gannon should have been our QB for years instead of Grbac ;)

I can't stand Bryan Gumble. He called the KC/Denver game yesterday and when I went back and watched it, he was so annoying. If I had to hear that someone got "stacked up" another time, I was going to explode.

-sj loves kevin spacey

21. KnightWriter

KnightWriter Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 6, 2001
    harlan called several suns playoff games last year, including the raja bell game-tying shot in game 5. good announcer.

22. solojones

solojones Chosen One star 10

Sep 27, 2000
    Yeah, he does a lot of NBA these days. I still miss his local playcalling for the Chiefs, though. He had this characteristic- "Oh baby, what a play!" that I'll never forget.

-sj loves kevin spacey

23. MarcusP2

MarcusP2 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 10, 2004
    Richie Benaud and that snooker guy are the most perfectly paired to their sports commentators I've heard. Benaud always has something relevant to say without saying too much.

Tim Lane is an excellent AFL commentator too.

24. Drac39

Drac39 Force Ghost star 6

Jul 9, 2002
    This coming from the two bias Sox fans

25. Baron-Soontir-Fel

Baron-Soontir-Fel Jedi Knight star 5

Jan 15, 2005
    Yeah, I find the extra effort he puts in Hispanic names kinda funny. :p

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.