main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

"Beth d Anatth"- Ahalik Gorena prequel (ooooh ahh!)

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction Stories--Classic JC Board (Reply-Only)' started by Hiroko01, May 24, 2000.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hiroko01

Hiroko01 Jedi Youngling star 3

Dec 14, 1998
    Imagine Jedi on a band trip. Muhahahhahahaa! This is a sort of "How they met"- Qui-Gon is 18 and Akretiry 17.

?Don?t forget to take a ton of pictures!? Biraidh reminded.

?Heck no!? Akretiry told her with a grin. ?The Jedi Temple, the top tourist destination of all time? do you think I?d miss it??

?Just makin? sure, hon.? Biraidh opened up her arms and gave a big farewell hug, then gripped Krit?s shoulders and gave them a big firm manly shake. ?Kick some culhagh, Wind baby!? Akretiry flexed for her appreciative audience, striking a few poses before giving her duffle a final sling over her shoulder.

?Don?t you worry, I will!? she assured her civilian friends. In the meantime a couple of the other Jedi going along had piled up outside the port she was blocking. Akretiry pressed herself close to the port jamb to let them squeeze roughly (barely) through, then gave a few final palm-slaps to her buddies outside that were staying home.

On this planet, Mornay, the Jedi system ran a little differently. They didn?t have as much in the way of resources (translate: money) as the big Coruscant Temple, though they still weren?t exactly in poverty. Not exactly... In any case, the main difference was that Mornay Jedi children took a lot of their classes at the public schools and lived right alongside everyone else there. Their extracurricular activities were a little different, but the civilian kids were proud of ?their? Jedi. Thanks to some great performances at the annual show-off events, a whole battallion of the Force-using contingent of the population was on its way off to Coruscant. A swarm of moms, dads, big and little brothers and sisters, other Jedi, and some student ?groupies? of the Jedi gang intrepid enough to cut class were all gathered around to see them off.

After several more see-ya waves through the obs windows Akretiry finally picked herself an unoccupied couple of seats. This ship was designed for in-system travel and arranged on the inside like a giant bus? not like something meant for thirty hours? worth of riding. They never really thought twice
    about it, though. Even though it was a pile of junk, it was their pile of junk. Though they liked to grace it with any of a variety of names and epithets, the vehicle was actually in pretty sound shape? it was just tiny. The main reason Akretiry wore her robe on the bus wasn?t for decorum, but because it made a great blanket for sleeping across the seats. Bunks? You?ve got to be kidding...

The sound of ripping cellophane heralded the true, formal, ceremonial beginning of the trip. Food! In this case, Vendythie?s umabosa pasty stash was coming out... and Ciaran?s barand... Akretiry wasn?t particularly hungry, so she decided to sit tight and hang out for a while before breaking out her own llonca sweetbread.

Tristan poked his head over the seat in front of her. ?HOO-YAH!? he yelled, grinning, the traditional and generic expression of whatever at their home Novitiate.

?Coruscant or bust!? Akretiry rejoindered, raising a fist to knock on his upraised one. ?HOO-YAH!?

?The Seaning Novitiate?? one fifteen-year-old Padawan said to another. ?Isn?t that on Mornay?? His stretching partner nodded.

?They?re a crazy bunch of SOBs over there, y?know.?

2. Hiroko01

Dec 14, 1998
    Kicking this bugger up off the seventh page. New post coming soon, but I can't think straight at the moment so writing probably isn't the best idea.

3. Jedi Igraine

Jedi Igraine Jedi Youngling star 1

Dec 20, 1999
    Do you stil need that info from me Hiroko? Is this the fic you wanted it for?

Igraine

4. HealerLeona

HealerLeona Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 18, 2000
    This was started ten days ago and I missed it. I'm sure this will be as good as Ahlik Gorena and I look forward to more.

Post often (please) post soon!

5. jedi jaffacake

jedi jaffacake Jedi Youngling star 1

May 12, 2000
    This looks like it's going to be cool I'll be reading!

6. Hiroko01

Dec 14, 1998
    Wahoo, readers! Now we can really get this show on the road.

Igraine- the info's for Gorena. That part may still be in the works for a while... Are you going to be on ICQ any time in the near future? I haven't seen you in forever.

7. Kit'

Kit' Manager Emeritus & Kessel Run Champion! star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA VIP - Game Winner

Oct 30, 1999
    Sorry Hiroko, I didn't even know you had started a prequel. But now I know..... I will keep reading....definatley!

Kithera

8. Jedi Igraine

Jedi Igraine Jedi Youngling star 1

Dec 20, 1999
    Yes I should be around later tonight. I work open to close today which means I should be home sometime around 8:30 or 9PM and online shortly there after.

9. Hiroko01

Dec 14, 1998
    Crud! I missed.

Last day of school. Now I can start the *real* work. I have a vague idea for the post, we'll see how quickly we can get it running.

10. Hiroko01

Dec 14, 1998
    Wanna know something freaky? I was filing registration forms at the marathon office this morning and there's somebody signed up for it with the last name Ninomiya. *twilight zone music*

Most of the Masters seemed to be... almost... afraid of the teenagers. While he could see where that mindset would come about, Master Murra certainly didn?t agree with it. His Padawans, at least, were a great bunch of kids.

Murra, better known as just Mur, coached for Navtha Silat.

The martial arts played a rather fuzzy role in Jedi life. The only thing you?d ever fence in the real world was a Sith, and that wasn?t terribly likely to happen these days. Lightsabers were tools or signals for getting a crowd?s attention quickly (and they truly excelled at that)? that sort of thing. He?d heard somewhere that the number one real-world use for a lightsaber was impressing dignitaries with the fact that the person facing them truly was Jedi; blocking blaster bolts was number three, he believed. Training to fence had little or no practical usage outside of the classroom. It was done for its own sake.

There were a few kids in the Novitiate who really enjoyed their swordwork. The same way
    civilian youth did sports, some of the young Jedi joined Navtha Silat. His work was just a little extracurricular activity that explored martial arts outside of the regular Jedi school. The biggest chunk of what they did came from the Calontiri form, Navtha Silat; hence the name. Before they could start learning other arts, however, students must have a solid grounding in their home form. All of Murra?s Padawans did, and thanks to that all of Murra?s Padawans knew how to kick some pretty serious butt.

Murra loved excursions like these. It gave him a chance to hang out with them, get to know them better, pass on a little more wisdom than just the kind that related to Silat. To watch their goings-on and live a little of it vicariously, too. All the big social machinations seemed to happen on out-of-Temple trips? he swore he could see friendships winding closer and closer, especially between the kids rooming together. A lot of love matches going on as well. It just might, Murra reflected bemusedly, have something to do with being away from their Masters.

?Hey, hey!? Murra stood up at the front of the Humilitymobile and made some noise to get
    everyone?s attention. These Padawans were people accustomed to being very active; after two days straight spent crammed into a little packing tube, they were right squirrely. They wanted to get the heck off the ship, but unfortunately that was not to be quite yet.

?Everybody just sit tight for a few more minutes? I gotta go make sure everything?s set up.? A collective honest-to-the-Force groan seemed to sound from the body of the ship as the students started flopping back into their seats. Mur paid it little mind? he was thinking the same exact thing, actually.

?Get all your stuff packed up and ready to go. We need to get everything off the ship, ok?? Scattered murmurs and nods let him know that he?d been heard, and a look around confirmed that they?d already cleaned up.

Look at ?em all. Raring to go, they were.

~~~~~~~~~~~~

A human female Padawan? another one of the Seaning bunch? cruised by in a robe with a bad wrinkle problem, toting a half-filled duffle, a glaive, and... something else. She stopped at the T-intersection that led from the docks to a couple of dorm halls, stopped, and looked down each one. Upon seeing Master Chelan she dropped a bow, and then looked at him as if she thought he wanted to speak with her. That was probably because he did. As the big guy in charge of Padawan fencing classes, outside schools' visits fell under his jurisdiction.

?Which room are you staying in?? he asked her. She frowned apologetically.

?I?am sohrrry,? Akretiry told him in a marvelous, broken, rippling Mornay accent. ?I dunna speak mouch Standhard.?

Uh-oh. Chelan didn?t happen to speak Mornayrran.

?...which room...?? she ventured unsurely. He nodded and tapped his datapad helpfull

11. Jedi Master Mara Jade

Jedi Master Mara Jade Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 8, 1999
    <BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Geneva,Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Just imagine Jedi on a band trip...

Oy, that sounds familiar. (Oy? Huh?) Frightening thought, that. I mean, regular (or not so ) people are crazy enough... (Do the Jedi on this thing get to sleep ever? )

Great job so far, Hiroko! I like your style, especially the way you do the dialouge. Nice job spelling dialect.

But...a bunch of that flew right by me. Because I don't know most of the words and stuff you're talking about. Where's Ahalik Gorena? I'd like to read it... (will it clear up some of those elusive meanings...?)

Good luck writing...

12. Hiroko01

Dec 14, 1998
    Forum16/HTML/000020.htmlwww.theforce.net/forum/Forum16/HTML/000020.html &lt;--Link to Ahalik Gorena. It's rough, it's uneven, it's really kind of crappy if you look too close. Major, major reshaping to be done before it gets archived but the later posts at least are better than the earlier ones.

It might help vocabulary-wise (in the case of glaive, at least), but most of the stuff in here is just for Beth. Just think of Navtha Silat as a sort of advanced karate class for kids who've gotten black belts in one style already and want to expand to others. A glaive is basically a lightsaber spear-thing, and Gboma's just the name the Padawans decided to give the drum.

Did I miss anything? If I'm ever this confusing again please knock me upside the head with a cast iron frying pan so as to prevent any future misadventures. Suggestions for how to clarify said misadventures are also welcome.

13. LadyJedith

LadyJedith Jedi Youngling star 1

Apr 6, 2000
    Whe-e-heh-heh-heh!
    <BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Geneva,Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>(translate: money)
    You're terrific, Hiroko! And I'll never use a frying pan in a way you've suggested. Despite your plea, yes! It might spoil your style, and make me suffer. Never!

14. Jedi Gryph Grin

Jedi Gryph Grin Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 25, 1999
    Methinks this is gonna be really cool!! An excellent beginning Hiroko!!

For some reason that escapes me, I haven't been to Ahalik Gorena in a while...I gotta go get caught up.

I'm looking forward to more, keep up the great work!

15. Jedi Master Mara Jade

Nov 8, 1999
    Hi again.

Thanks for the link, Hiroko.

I think part of the reason I was confused was because I was reading this rather late at night (my time). Reading fanfic, practicing, knotting bracelets, and braiding hair, all late at night, lead to confusion.

Thanks for the meanings and for going to the trouble of answering me! (Patience is a Jedi virtue...)

Can't wait for more! I really like your characters!

16. Jedi Master Mara Jade

Nov 8, 1999
    :holds flute up in a threatening manner:

I don't have to use this to force you to post, do I?

Anytime now, Hiroko...

mad.gif

17. Hiroko01

Dec 14, 1998
    EEEK! Anything but the flute!

18. The Musical Jedi

The Musical Jedi Jedi Grand Master star 5

Dec 13, 1999
    The beginning sounds suspiciously like my band's trip to FL. Thirty hours on a bus, and we didn't stop for the night! *groan* Anywho, great job as always, Hiroko! Keep 'em comin'!!

19. epic

epic Ex Mod star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 4, 1999
    Not too shabby.

20. Jedi Master Mara Jade

Nov 8, 1999
    Hiroko, you *will* update this thread. :waves hand:

:Hiroko stares and shakes her head sorrowfully:

You really don't want to know what page I found this on. :( We must remedy this problem, 'kay?

21. Hiroko01

Dec 14, 1998
    That *sorta* worked, MJ. There's a shiny new post on Ahalik Gorena for y'all... :) (Now just try and see if you can *find* it on this forum.) Sooo this means Beth's turn is coming up next.

(Aye aye cap'n. New post approaching.)

22. Jedi Obi-Wan Kenobi

Jedi Obi-Wan Kenobi Jedi Youngling star 2

Jul 14, 1999
    Why doesn't anyone ever tell me about these things?!!

23. Hiroko01

Dec 14, 1998
    Anchors away!

The book passage, btw, is a real-life quote from All the King's Men. Awful, awful book.

(Because, JOWK, nobody likes you because they're all so envious of your writing that they subconsciously plagiarize and by those weird Freudian twists it makes them want to gut you like a yum-yum seabass. ;) Speaking of which: think I should post this on the JA list?)

There was, theoretically, a storeroom someplace where Akretiry was supposed to put that drum. She
    had its number written on her hand. But for some reason, no matter which turns she took, she ended
    up in the same circuit of passageways and that storeroom was not in there. After six tries and forty-five minutes of lost-ness inside the Temple, Akretiry decided to just keep the thing in her room. It really didn?t matter much one way or the other where it was kept.

Food was the next thing on the list. The idea on arriving here was to have lunch as soon as everything was settled, so everybody else was probably done and cleared out of the refectory by the time she stashed Gboma at the foot of one of the beds. On her way out, Akretiry dug her assigned book for Significant Literature class in case none of her friends were there.

?Though she had wept and had seemed to perform the act in a sadness and desperation, immedately afterward she spoke cheerfully to me. She stood in the middle of the room pressing her hair into place...?

Good grief, Akretiry thought, letting the datapad fall to her side. How do they figure THIS crap is ?significant??

The Temple cafeteria was a sea of brown and white Jedi robes and Padawan buzzcuts. They were all Coruscanti? nobody she knew, never mind strike up a conversation with because she simply couldn?t talk to them. And this book was proving to be crappy company as well... Akretiry was not going to waste any more vacation time with this junk. Off went the datapad.

Behind her there was a tall, skinny Padawan about her age with dark hair and a big nose. He was talking to a couple of fellow Coruscant Padawans, girls, who seemed quite enchanted with his company. Spacing out, Akretiry eavesdropped idly n their rapid-fire nonsense chatter.

The guy bumped into her.

As if just realizing that she was there, he looked back and apologized. He didn?t use the exact words she?d been taught as the textbook case, but the voice tone for ?Oops, pardon me? was a fairly universal thing. Krit smiled, gave a little wave, in short gave a go at all her best ?no problem? body language and turned back to where she?d been facing. For some reason she was feeling rather embarrassed by that encounter? she was blushing, at least, she could feel it. Back on went the datapad, the better to bury her face in.

That basic sequence of event happened twice more. By the fourth time, Akretiry felt that at least some variation was called for.

?Is alright,? she assured him, tentatively placing a polite hand on his wrist. ?I like to touch.?

A beat passed, and suddenly the two girls burst out into gales of laughter. Other people looked up to see what was going on. Krit realized pretty quickly that somehow, she?d screwed up, and by the looks of it she?d screwed up bad.

Looking about desperately to see someone familiar, some help, Akretiry?s eyes landed on the young man?s face. He was doing a valiant job of holding it in, but when she looked at him he, too, lost it and laughed at her so hard his eyes squeezed shut.

Someone? Anyone!? Nobody? there was no one who could explain what had just occurred. Suddenly the panic levels rose over her head. Akretiry hid behind the concealment of her datapad and fled.

24. Jane Jinn

Jane Jinn Jedi Knight star 5

Jan 12, 2000
    All right, now we're getting somewhere! *Hastily checks post for flying pigs. Nope. I'm safe this time.* I can't wait to see more interaction between Qui-Gon and Akretiry.

25. Jedi Master Mara Jade

Nov 8, 1999
    Woohoo!

This story is sounding strangely autobiographical, especially the book and drum part, Hiroko.... =)

I loved the "I like to touch" scene. :hehe:

But poor Akretiry!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.