main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Saga Betrayal Of The Heart: A Love Story ( A/P, Pon-Naas, Windu, Palps, Obi) NEW Chapter: 54 - DEC 16th

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction- Before, Saga, and Beyond' started by Tiny, Nov 2, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dally

Dally Jedi Master star 4

Apr 2, 2001
    Oh, Pon had a close call, didn't he? He did the right thing, ditching the Chancellor. I think!! When will Anakin come into the picture?

2. Tiny

Tiny Jedi Youngling star 1

Jun 12, 2003
    Dally-- Anakin will enter the picture very shortly. He's now back on Coruscant and as we know from Episode 2, will soon be reunited with Pon's young lovely, and his first heart, Miss Padme Amidala.

3. Dally

Dally Jedi Master star 4

Apr 2, 2001
    Could you possibly PM me when this is updated? I don't want to miss it. Thanks.

4. callmesweet16

callmesweet16 Jedi Youngling star 2

May 26, 2005
    I can't wait for Ani to enter the picture!!!

Great Posts!!!!=D=

New Reader!!:D

5. Tiny

Jun 12, 2003
    Dally, will do on the private message.

Callmesweet16, thanks for stopping in on my little love yarn.

And... new Pon Naas will be up within 24 hours, I promise.

6. Tiny

Jun 12, 2003
    Betrayal Of The Heart: A Love Story
    Chapter 48: Master and Apprentice

As I returned from The Jelly Dough with a bag filled with pastries, the meeting between Master Kenobi and Windu was coming to a close.

?Perfect timing!? Master Windu declared as the two venerable Jedi strode out from his office.

?The booty has been secured,? I declared holding up the weighty bag. I took on the voice of a street vendor. ?Fresh coffee cake, glazed doughnuts. Get ?em while they?re hot.?

Master Windu anxiously approached me and took the bag into his own hands. ?By Jove, I love these rolls!? He dug into the bulging sack and removed a large piece of coffee cake.

?Come on,? Master Windu instructed to Master Kenobi, ?get in on some of this.?

?Oh no, I?ve had breakfast,? Master Kenobi mildly protested.

?Don?t give me that,? Master Windu replied. ?This is the best coffee cake on Coruscant. Don?t tell me that smell isn?t getting to you.? He waved a piece of cake beneath Master Kenobi?s nose. ?Join the pastry side,? Master Windu tempted.

?Well,? Master Kenobi said with a wry grin, ?perhaps I could stand one piece.? He took the cake from Master Windu.

?And maybe one more cup,? Master Kenobi said looking into his empty mug.

?Allow me,? I gladly told him, taking his mug. ?Master Windu? More Joe??

?You know it,? Master Windu replied, handing me his jumbo mug while devouring the coffee cake.

?It is quite moist, isn?t it?? Master Kenobi noted as he bit into his treat.

?I?ll put the rest in back,? I said, taking the bag of pastries with the mugs into the break room. ?Or they won?t last the morning!?

?Guilty!? Master Windu hollered as I stepped away.

I unpacked the coffee cake and rolls from the bag and placed them in an airtight container. Picking at a roll of my own, I refilled the two coffee mugs and started out of the break room. As Master Windu and Kenobi continued to enjoy their snack at my desk, the front door to the office opened. I paused, waiting to greet the visitor.

?There you are,? a hooded Jedi mumbled towards Master Kenobi.

?Anakin,? Master Kenobi said with stern reproach. ?Why aren?t you in the training room??

The young thug stepped into the office. ?I thought you said to come find you if you weren?t back within the hour.?

?I said no such thing. Anakin, after what we went through this morning, I cannot believe that even you aren?t in the training room. My instructions couldn?t have been any clearer.?

?Master, I came looking for you. It?s not like I?m out having a good time.?

?But you aren?t training like you?re supposed to be. You?re out for a bit of a stroll aren?t you? And were worried I?d get back before you and find you absent.?

Master Windu and I exchanged a look of raised eyebrows, our mouths shaped into a o?s to acknowledge the tension that was rising in the room.

?I don?t think those mercenaries on Ansion would say I need anymore saber training, do you?? Anakin arrogantly replied as he stood next to Master Kenobi.

Obi-Wan sighed loudly.

I walked briskly from the entrance to my desk and placed the coffee down upon it.

Anakin looked at the mugs and coffee cake. ?Busy meeting?? he asked attempting sarcasm.

?Uh look,? Master Windu broke in, ?I better get back to my files.?

?Of course,? Master Kenobi replied. His face was flush with anger as he stared at Anakin. ?And I need to get my Padawan down to the training room. He has eight hours of saber practice ahead of him.?

?Eight hours! I thought you said??

?Would you like for me to make it nine??

?But Master!?

?Anakin! That?s enough. Master Windu?s office is hardly the place for your childish behavior.?

Anakin looked out from beneath his hood, as if for the first time realizing he was in the presence of anyone other than his annoyed Master.

?Sorry Master.? He looked to Master Windu. ?Sorry Master Windu.?

Master Windu replied with a good natured, fatherly grin. ?Patience, Anakin. Patience.?

And where?s my apology, you snot nosed punk? Think

7. Dally

Dally Jedi Master star 4

Apr 2, 2001
    Hee. I think Pon may regret taking Angel into his home. Her aunt was murdered in that dress? EEEYuck. I like the line, "Join the pastry side." But I'm disappointed that Anakin acted so surly. I hope he's just tired and grumpy.

Thanks for the PM!

8. Tiny

Jun 12, 2003
    Dally--

Anakin was a bit testy, no doubt. But let's remember, we're talking about a lad who went to kill women, children and damn near the whole Jedi Order. To say he could have his off days is a mild understatment.

New Pon coming soon...

9. Tiny

Jun 12, 2003

Chapter 49: Errands, Etc.

After lunch I aimlessly wandered about The Temple?s lush garden courtyard. After inhaling the perfumed odour of a hyacinth nosegay, I paused at an open bench and sat, stretching my legs and yawning loudly. I thought briefly on Angel and reasoned that being alone for an entire day in a strange new place and without food would leave even the best of us with an ill temper.

Remembering that she had first left a message before I answered her second call, I removed my holo-phone and played it. I didn?t want to hear her reproaches, however; I simply wanted to get it out of the queue.

You have one message. Press ?9? to play your message. BEEP! Uh, hey Pon, it?s The Pessent. Just checking to see where you want to get drinks tonight. I?m having a helluva time finding any work this morning. Nobody?s hiring it seems; at least not me. I don?t know man? I?ve been having some dark thoughts lately. Some real dark thoughts? But anyway, give me a buzz when you can get away from Windu. Gabatcha later. Bye.

?Ah,? I said to myself. ??Twas the Pessent and not Angel.? I rubbed my hair. ?Hmm, hmm?? I thought. ?May as well call him right now.?

Rrrrrng. Rrrrng.

?Hello??

?Pessent. It?s Pon.?

?Oh, hey, Pon. Get my message??

?Yeah, just now. Uh, hey listen, about tonight... Really sorry about this, but I?m gonna have to cancel. I, well, it?s a long story trust me, but I sorta have a guest back at my place. I forgot about her this morning when we were talking. I kinda need to get home right after work.?

?Her??

?Heh heh. Yeah.?

?What? Padme? staying with you now??

?I wish.?

?Relative??

?Not exactly. Like I said, long story. Real long story. But I still want to get those drinks with you. I don?t want you to think I?m ditching out again, it?s just that I sorta left her without any food or a key and so, you know, I gotta jet back there asap after work. Poor thing?ll starve otherwise. Tomorrow or Sunday??

?Yeah, sure.? He paused then griped with dejection: ?Not like I got anything going on.?

?I?ll keep my ear out for any work.?

?That?d be great. I mean, I gotta make rent. It?s getting that I?d do anything for a credit, you know??

?I hear you.?

?Well, thanks for calling back, Pon.?

?No prob. Lates.?

?Bye.?

I stood and stretched my arms. The lack of sleep and running around Coruscant?s lower levels the night before was starting to catch up with me. My mind when not wandering was foggy and sluggish. I rubbed my heavy eyes and yawned then shook my head with a warble. Lightly slapping my cheeks, I checked myself: ?Come on Naas, wake up, wake up.?

Shaking off the lethargic doldrums from my mind, I slowly started walking out of the flower rich courtyard.

Maybe Master Windu will let me take off early today. Surprise Angel with an early dinner. Better get that dress, too.

When I returned to the office, Master Windu had left a note on my desk saying that things were really heating up around the Galaxy and as a result, he would be meeting with The Jedi Council for the better part of the afternoon. He instructed me to ?Go over the manuscript if you want, or go ahead and get out of here.? With eyes half shut, I opted for the latter and left a reply.

Master Windu ? Dead tired, gonna go home and rest. Freshened up the Joe. If you need me this weekend, don?t hesitate to call. Thanks again for letting me split early. ? PON.

As The Jedi Temple brought in a large number of tourists, there were a good many boutiques and gift shops to be found on the third floor ? the starting and ending point of The Temple Tour ? and I stuck my head into Belle?s n Bottoms, hoping to find a replacement for Angel?s dress.

?Ah, good afternoon! How can vee help zoo, eh?? a jet set stately woman beamed as soon as I entered the otherwise empty boutique. Jewels hung about her fit, tan body in streams of golden chains while her torso was wrapped in a loose fitting, armless, red silken top. A short blac

10. Dally

Dally Jedi Master star 4

Apr 2, 2001
    Hee. I like Lady Ronold. Pon's bragging a little more, I see. Thanks for the PM!

11. Dally

Dally Jedi Master star 4

Apr 2, 2001
    Thought I'd give this an up in case some people hadn't seen it.

12. Tiny

Jun 12, 2003
    Thanks for your continued support, Dally... Pon needs it!

And, new Naas coming within the next 24 hours...

13. Tiny

Jun 12, 2003

Chapter 50: Angelic Intermezzo

I opened the door to apartment 1313 to find the lights off, the holo-set on, and Angel sitting up on the pullout bed, playing with her hair.

?About damn time,? she huffed while keeping her eyes on the holo-set and the sitcom it is was playing. ?What took you so friekin? long??

?Angel, come on, now,? I protested as I hung her dress on the door. I walked to the kitchen counter and put down the rum and potted meat. ?I?m home two hours early. Usually I?m still at work. It?s only by the good graces of Master Windu that I was able to skip out when I did.?

She made no reply but stood and walked to me, dragging her feet. She took the bottle of rum out of its bag and read the label. ?Guess this?ll do.? She opened it and took a drink.

?Easy there,? I said as she took a long, second guzzle.

?Ahh. Not bad,? she said, wiping her mouth with her forearm and extending the bottle to me.

?Uh, no, I?m good.?

?What? You?re too high class to have a little drink with me now? I see how it is.?

?I?m just not in the mood for booze at three o?clock in the afternoon.?

?Whatever.?

She drank further from the bottle.

I began putting the cans of potted gundark meat into the cabinets.

?So what?s to eat?? she asked, swiping one of the cans I?d left out for dinner from the counter. ?What?s this? More gundark? Is that all you eat?? A mocking tone overtook her delivery. ?Oh yum, thanks for bringing home such a tasty treat.?

?Well I?m sorry, cash was a little tight at the grocery store.? I nudged my head back to the front door where he dress hung. ?Getting that cost me a few dimes, now didn?t it.?

?Getting what??

?Your stinkin? dress. You know how much they charged--? I paused, making sure I had my story straight. "To clean that?"

Dangling the bottle in her petite hand, she swaggered to the dress and began to inspect it.

?This isn?t my dress.?

I shuffled some potted meat and made no reply.

?Hey what?s the big idea?? She took another swig of rum. ?This isn?t my dress!?

?Uh, yeah, yeah it is,? I said nervously.

She slapped at it.

?My dress was black! This is, this is?? she was at a loss for the secondary color better known as ?green,? so I filled in the blank for her.

?Green??

?Yeah!? she yelled, drinking further from the bottle. ?Green! My Aunty Jams wasn?t iced in no green dress!?

Think Naas, think?

?Uh, Angel, you gotta understand?? I took three steps towards her. She staggered as she continued drinking from the bottle. ?When I brought it into the cleaner, sure, it was black. No doubt about that. I mean, you?re right as rain about that, but uh?? Come on, Naas? ?But after it got washed, well, its real color came through. Take no offense, Angel, but let?s be honest, it was pretty covered in, well, you know, dirt, and with all that cleaned off, I guess it looks more green.?

Buy it? buy it?

?Where?s the stab wounds?? she asked poking at the back of the dress.

?Oh, they sewed them up.?

Angel, presently being more interested in the Kashyyyk rum than the dress, gulped a swig of booze and simply said, ?I guess.?

I popped open a can of potted meat. ?Ready for some eats??

?Whatever,? she repeated, walking back to the couch. She plopped down and began to guffaw at Cordial Inspections, a sometimes humorous comedy about a detective who works a second job as a butler.

As the gundark fried on the stove, Angel asked, ?Did you get paid today??

?Uh no,? I said, sprinkling some salt over the grissling grub. ?Why??

?Just wondering. What? I can?t ask a simple question??

?You?re awfully defensive, you know that, Angel??

?So you?re broke??

?No, I?ve got cash. And payday is Tuesday.?

While I took the frying pan from the stove and shoveled the gundark onto two plates, Angel called to me, suddenly sounding very welcoming.

?Come here. I wanna show you something.?

I put the plates on the kitchen table and walked to the couch.

14. Tiny

Jun 12, 2003

Chapter 51: The Blackout

The next thing I remember, I opened my eyes to find myself on the floor, half covered in a sheet with a small pool of dried vomit next to my head. A head which was currently ringing with a throbbing headache. As my eyes squinted to adjust to the incoming daylight, I slowly rose and moaned with a noxious refrain.

?Oh Jesus, Mary and Joseph,? I said while rubbing my forehead, ?what the hell happened?? My stomach rumbled. ?Oof, I don?t feel so hot.? I slapped my self. ?Come on Naas, wake up, wake up.?

I wrapped the sheet around my shoulders and stood. Looking to the kitchen clock, I saw it was ten fifty-six in the morning. As I wobbled on my feet, still half in a daze, the empty bottle of rum, laying on its side next to the vomit, caught my eye.

?Oh that?s right,? I mumbled, vaguely remembering finishing off the bottle with Angel before we?

?Angel,? I called while looking around. ?Where?s Angel?? I looked into the only other room in the studio apartment, the bathroom, and found it empty.

Shrugging, I walked to the kitchen and poured myself a tall glass of tap water. I quickly downed the glass and poured myself a second. As I began shuffling around the cupboard in search of aspirin, the front door opened.

?Finally got up, huh??

It was Angel, wearing her new green dress. I did a second take as her Padmesque features briefly set my heart aflutter.

?Angel,? I said while knocking back three aspirin. ?There you are.?

She was carrying several bags and put them down on the kitchen table.

?Had to restock,? she said as she removed two bottles of booze.

?Oh man. Just looking at that stuff?s gonna make me ill.?

?Come on,? she teased, ?I thought you liked to party. And I had to do something with my earnings.?

?Your earnings??

?Yeah,? she said as she unloaded a second bag filled with groceries. ?What, you didn?t think that was a freebie, did you?? She giggled.

?Uh? well??

?Your wallet was kinda out, so I just took the twenty-five credits you had in there. I guess since you passed out halfway through I shouldn?t charge you full price,? she teased, ?but I?ll let you have some of the groceries -- no more potted meat -- and I?ll even make you a drink.?

?You? charged me for, I thought??

?Hey, I?ve got to earn some money for us too, right??

?Well, yeah, sure, but, what good does it do to take my dough. I mean I already gave you all that money when we first met, you should still have--?

?And who?s Jo-Jo??

?Wha??

?Jo-Jo. You kept mumbling all night about Jo-Jo. Sounded like you two were having a grand time.?

?Oh, uh, well you see, when I was a kid I had this imaginary bunny friend; sort of like a full-sized bunny who wore a top hat and tails sometimes and he still shows up in my--?

?Sounded pretty weird. Kinda creeped me out. That's when I pushed you onto the floor. And did you know you snore and drool at the same time??

?Uh, I??

?Oh,? she said removing a plasti-card from her dress, ?here you go.? She handed me my key. ?I got a second one made.?

?Yeah, okay, guess that's cool.?

?Now I won?t be stuck in here while you?re off bringing home the bacon. It?ll even let me fry up some of my own, right??

?Yeah, like I said, as soon as you can get a job, I mean, I?m happy to let you stay here until you--?

My holo-phone, resting on the kitchen table began to buzz. I checked the name.

Office ? Master Windu

?Hang on,? I told Angel, ?I better take this.?

?Uh, hiya, Master Windu.?

?Pon, how you doing today??

?Not too bad. Kinda long night. Heh. But? what?s up??

?Remember how I told you yesterday things were heating up and I might need you this weekend??

?Uh, yes, sir.?

?Any chance I can take you up on that and get you down here asap??

?Certainly sir.?

?Time and a half of course.?

?Separatists really raising some hell, huh??

?Someone is. There was to be an emergency session of the Senate this morning, military creation act, but it got

15. Tiny

Jun 12, 2003

Chapter 52: Tremors

I rushed into the office to find Master Windu conversing with Jedi Masters Ki-Adi Mundi, Plo Koon, two female Jedi I had never seen before, and the highly esteemed Yoda, who floated in his patented hover-chair, helping to keep his short frame at eye level with the other sages of peace and galactic justice.

?There you are,? Master Windu said as I caught my breath. I had sprinted from the elevator in a rush to get to the office. ?We?re just about to leave for an emergency meeting with The Chancellor; take messages for any calls that come in.?

?Of course, sir.?

As The Jedi began walking out of the office, I grabbed hold of Master Windu?s arm.

?Is she okay? Is Padme?? all right??

?Yes,? he nodded. ?Didn?t even get a scatch.?

?Thank God. But who? who could do such a thing? Who would dare do such a thing??

?I don?t know, Pon. Hopefully we?ll get to the bottom of it. Thanks for coming in.?

While the other Jedi tarried in the doorway, Master Windu asked if I could have a fresh pot of coffee ready for his return.

?Of course, sir. Anything you need, just let me know.?

?Thanks again,? he said as he joined his noble brothers-in-arms and exited the office.

?Hmm. Out of shape, your assistant is,? I heard Master Yoda barb as the door closed.

I collapsed into my chair, thinking only of my young lovely, Miss Padme? Amidala.

My love? My sweet, sweet Padme?? You must have been so terrified; did you cry out for me in your moment of horror? Did you ask where was your Pon?

I removed my holo-phone and breathing deeply, selected Padme?s number from its memory and called the number. I had made a previous attempt on the tram only to receive her voice mail.

?Come on,? I pleaded, ?pick up? Pick up??

After seven rings, the recorded tone of an angel again greeted me.

Hi, this is Padme?. If I?m not answering, I?m either in a meeting or away from my phone. If you leave your name and number, I?ll be sure to get back to you as soon as possible. Thanks and have a great day. BEEP!

On my previous attempt I had left no message but this time, I spoke.

?Uh, hey there. It?s me, Pon. I just wanted to call because I heard you almost got killed this morning; I, I don?t know what to say. I?m just glad, you know, you?re not dead or anything. So uh, I?m working today, Saturday, Master Windu had me come in because of all the mess, or, I mean, all the stuff going on with this so? If you need me, I?m here for you. If you need anything, just call. Um, maybe if you wanted, later I mean, I could take you out for a nice dinner some place. But anyway, I want you to know how bad I feel that anyone would ever try to do that to you. And I want you to know that ever since you came into my life ?? BEEP! We?re sorry, mailbox: full. BEEP!

?Oh for Pete?s sake...? I turned my holo-phone off. ?Ah well, I?m sure she?ll get the gist of it. But why? Why??

For the next hour I made a fresh pot of super-charged Joe, freshened up the rolls and last piece of coffee cake in the microwave and took six or seven calls from various Jedi Masters, Senators and two newspapers, calling to get a comment from Master Windu on the attempted assassination.

After speaking with a reporter from The Coruscant Courier and informing them Master Windu would be back shortly, I relaxed in my chair and while rubbing my hands through my brown locks, question again, why anyone would ever make an attempt on the life of my young lovely, Padme? Amidala, former queen and current senator from Naboo.

Please call me, my dear? Please call your Pon. I should have been there for her. I could have used my power to help her?

I was playing with a pencil when the front door whisked open and Master Windu walked in.

I stood to greet the famed Jedi Master and immediately asked, ?Any news on who did it??

He shook his head before going into the break room.

??Fraid not,? he called out as the sound of his Who?s Da Boss? jumbo

16. Dally

Dally Jedi Master star 4

Apr 2, 2001
    Thanks for the PM! I appreciate it. I don't think that Pon is in Anakin's fan club. But I think I can guess what Anakin's song is. :) Hopefully Pon and Anakin will both grow up a bit, or Padme will dump 'em both.

17. callmesweet16

callmesweet16 Jedi Youngling star 2

May 26, 2005
    That's gerat!!!! :D
    I think Pon will not exactly be thrilled about Padme and Anakin when they come together!

18. Dally

Dally Jedi Master star 4

Apr 2, 2001
    Just giving this a little up because I missed a few chapters.

19. Tiny

Jun 12, 2003
    Dally-- Thanks for the continued support...

Callmesweet16 -- Thanks for stopping back in on the story.

More Pon coming up, of course, and we'll see just what Mr. Naas was doing during Episode 2 and how he played a part in it...

And no, Pon is NOT in Anakin's fan club and of course, knowing what happens with Anakin and Padme', that's not about to change...

20. Tiny

Jun 12, 2003

Chapter 53: Working Stiffs, Inc. Pt 2.

?Cuppa Joe?? I asked the Crimson Guard closest to the break room as I stood in the room?s doorway, readying to make a fresh pot. He remained motionless. ?That a no?? I looked over to his friend on the other side of the office doorway. ?How ?bout you Big-Red? Cuppa high-octane java to keep your pistons firing? Guaranteed to put a spike in your step.? Like his cohort, the second guard made no movement or sound in reply to my query. ?Heh heh. You guys aren?t sleeping under there, are you?? I jibed in reference to the red-helmets which encased their heads and the flowing robes that covered their bodies. ?Fair enough,? I said as I walked into the break room before tossing out a favorite riposte when my Jawa Juice wasn?t accepted: ?Keep running on fumes...?

I whistled while I gave the coffee machine a quick cleaning then brewed up a fresh, piping hot, highly caffeinated patented Pon-pot of Joe. I searched the cupboard above the sink ? where I stored the coffee, additional mugs, filters, dish soap and towels ? and found excactly what I was looking for: a bottle of Haruun Kal vanilla sweetener. Haruun Kal was the home planet of Master Windu and from time to time, I?d pick up a bottle of the pricy, all natural, vanilla sweetener which was made from the jungle foliage of Haruun Kal?s nanja plants and add it into the coffee as it was being brewed. The result was a rich, full bodied vanilla aroma that would send your senses into orbit. For an extra kick, I?d add a spoonful of Haruun Kal vanilla into the cup, which was how most served it. Of course, my method of adding it directly to the coffee grinds while they brewed as well as the possibility of pouring it into the cup gave my already patented Joe an even higher air of mystery and original, delectable flavor. But I do recommend one add such an element no more than twice weekly. It?s important that your coffee is able to stand on its own, without gimmicks or added sweeteners. Then, when your company, or employer, is treated to the occasional flavor boost, they?ll be more appreciative of its distinctive taste. The bottom line is, always give yourself the chance to take your coffee to the next level; but don?t overburden your pot with gimmicks or of-the-moment crèmes and syrups. Add them not necessarily when they?re least expected; but when they?re sure to be appreciated and most importantly, remembered.

Oh nice Naas, I bemoaned as I looked upon the four remaining, day old rolls. Forgot to pick up fresh pastry.

I popped the four glazed doughnuts into the microwave and continued to whistle a happy, melodious tune as the coffee pot filled.

I wiped the counter down and rung the rag in the sink while the doughnuts warmed in the microwave. When the bell dinged I removed them, replaced them onto the plate and poured myself a cup of freshly brewed Joe.

?Ahh,? I exclaimed after sipping from my mug. ?That?s the stuff.?

I continued to airily whistle, adding a slight bounce to my step, as I walked back to my desk. I inhaled deeply as the smell of my vanilla rich coffee filled the room.

After fielding a call from Jedi Master Ki-Adi Mundi, the Crimson guard to my right, the one closest to the break room began to show signs of life ? his shoulders moved ? then very softly, he spoke.

?Uh, say,? the stoic guard said with a voice which sounded surprisingly middle-class and genuine. ?Could I maybe have half a cup??

?Heh.?

I stood and walked towards the break room.

?Couldn?t resist that smell, huh??

?Darrell,? the other guard hushed. ?What are you doing??

?Getting a cup of coffee.?

?Are you nuts??

?We?ve been on our feet since seven o?clock this morning.?

The other guard shook his head and mumbled under his breath about taking chances.

?What? Gramps won?t let you guys drink a cuppa Joe?? I asked, using the nickname General Mabnuln had so boldly assigned to Chancellor Palpatine.

Darrell laughed at the casual moniker.

21. Tiny

Jun 12, 2003

Chapter 54: Old Friends For Sale

As I made my way through the Jedi Temple and back into the food court, it was buzzing with office workers, an oddity for a Saturday, but not surprising considering the bureaucratic fallout from Padme?s assassination attempt. The murmurs of galactic change were sounding with a steady cadence.

I can?t believe they tried to kill a Senator!

Those Separatists have gone too far!

I heard that peacenik was going to vote against the military creation act! Maybe now she?ll wake up to how serious those Separatists are!

Louder and with a deepening resonance the drums of war continued to sound.

I took my place in the Jelly-Dough?s queue, my mind wandering to Padme? and whether or not the brash and clueless Anakin Skywalker was now fumbling about in her venerated presence.

I just bet that arrogant little prat?s gonna act like he's BMOC. Whiny little fop. Heh.

While my mind readied a bevy of insults to hurl at the short-tempered Padawan when I next spoke to my young lovely, my eyes took note of a familiar sturdy, six-foot frame standing before me.

?Uh, Ariq?? I asked. ?Hey there.?

My friend, Ariq Charles, turned to face me. I hadn?t seen him since we met at the police station, when The Pessent was still being held inside its prison and we parted on not so friendly terms.

?Oh. Hi.?

?What?s up,? I replied, trying to sound warm and friendly. ?Grabbing some bakery??

?Yeah. Master Yoda?s gotten a taste for cinnamon rolls lately.?

?Heh. Well they?ve got the best cinnamon rolls here. And coffee cake. Master Windu really loves their coffee cake.?

?Yeah,? he said straightly and indifferent. Right or wrong, my friend seemed to be holding a grudge against me.

We both looked at the ground.

?Uh, what else is up?? I abruptly asked.

?Not much. Working today with all the hubbub.?

?Right. Same here.?

I sniffed.

We each moved one closer to the front of the line.

?Don?t know if you heard,? he said. ?But The Pessent got released from prison.?

?Yeah. I saw him yesterday on the shuttle. He was out job hunting. We've been talking on the phone too.?

?Really??

?Mmm hmm."

?Didn?t know you were talking with us.?

?Come on,? I said. ?I?m talking with you right now aren?t I??

He made no reply. It was obvious feelings were still bruised from some of my earlier bravado.

?Listen, I?m sorry about that stuff. I was pretty on edge last week. I kinda knew about all these threats and things against Padme? and so, you know, I just got a little tense worrying about my girl.?

?I didn?t know worrying meant threatening your friends with a ?power.? Then apologizing, then threatening again. Kind of a pattern forming here, I?d say.?

?Look, I said I was on edge, all right? What else do you want? And obviously after what happened this morning, I?m still more than just a little tense, but I?m still talking with you aren?t I??

?Yeah but, well?? he shrugged his shoulders and ceased checking me on my brash statements from earlier in the week. ?I guess.?

Change the topic, Pon?

?So it sounds like The Pessent?s having a hard time finding a job. Too bad Yoda fired him.?

?Yeah.?

?Ah well. The guy never really did as well as us in The Temple, you know? Don?t think he fit in around all the high rollers and Jedi. We know how to handle our selves and frankly, that guy just didn?t.?

He looked at me incredulously. ??That guy?? You mean ?that guy? who?s been our friend since we were babies? You refer to him as ?that guy? now?? He shook his head with controlled disgust. ?Pon ? he got fired because he was in prison and couldn?t get to work. And he was in prison because he tried helping you in Thunderumble and if you--?

?Okay, okay, sheesh. Broken record. Sorry for mentioning it, I was just trying to compliment you on being a good worker. Man. And you talk about me flipping out??

?I?m not flipping out, I?m just sticking up for a friend. Something that?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.