main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Bets! Will Finn develop Force powers/become a Jedi?

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by DARTH_small_paw, Dec 19, 2015.

?

Will Finn develop Force powers/become a Jedi

1. yes

203 vote(s)
    41.0%
  2. no

292 vote(s)
    59.0%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. afrojedi

afrojedi Jedi Master star 4

Oct 23, 2015
    I think most who believe or simply want him to be FS don't try to maintain there is unquestionable proof.

2. pupuce

pupuce Jedi Knight star 3

Jan 10, 2016
  3. redlightning

redlightning Jedi Knight star 4

Feb 1, 2014
    The thing I notice between the stormtroopers and the ones from the Empire is that a lot of those who joined the Imperial star fleet were volunteers, those in the First Order were drafted as unknown slaves. This implies an extreme desperation for recruitment on their part as if they have not much of any support. I think the Republic will crush the force pretty easily.

4. MeBeJedi

MeBeJedi Force Ghost star 6

May 30, 2002
    Well, Hux's men were definitely conditioned slaves, but Kylo mentions the possibility of using a clone army.

5. Little_Boots

Little_Boots Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 23, 2015
    For me nothing suggested Finn was force sensitive. I think it's wishful thinking. I think him lacking in the force will create an interesting story between him and Rey

Sent from my HUAWEI SCL-L01 using Tapatalk

6. Adept

Adept Force Ghost star 4

Mar 4, 2006

I could say the same about some viewpoints you've expressed. At least with Finn, we do not that he is heavily associated with a Lightsaber, which hasn't been done with a none FS. We also note that his background is just as Mysterious as Rey's since he has no idea who his family is....and it's worth noting that he is, too date, the only Trooper to break the programming of the FO.

Blastaar and Rhyoth like this.
  7. Little_Boots

Little_Boots Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 23, 2015
    Yea you seem to be following me around on this site. Your popping up all over the place.

Sent from my HUAWEI SCL-L01 using Tapatalk

8. MeBeJedi

May 30, 2002
    Well, you DO have a cute avatar. [face_batting]

9. MasterDekan

MasterDekan Jedi Grand Master star 3

Jun 14, 2005

Further in that thread, I noticed Pablo also makes a snip about debating the significance of 'Return of the Jedi'...I'm read that as a reference to the idea that there's only room for one Jedi this time around like it was in the OT. I understood the title 'Return of the Jedi' to mean that the Jedi, plural, are meant to rise again. I always thought that was made clear when Yoda tells Luke to pass on what he's learned, essentially telling him to train a new Order.

Which points back to a my theory about the ST: Luke MUST restore the Jedi Order and he'll need more than one new Jedi to do that. Rey won't be fighting Kylo and Snoke on her own, and already a film in, it just makes sense for Finn to be a new Jedi fighting alongside Rey:

They both experience an awakening
    They both echo Luke's steps (and a lil of Obi-Wan)
    They have a clear bond (which could be through the Force)
    They both thwart Kylo Ren and Snoke's plan, and confront Kylo directly

LF has a great narrative started already for the rebirth of the Jedi Order and Finn is dead center in the middle of it.

10. pupuce

Jan 10, 2016
    it seems that the book confirms that Finn able to hear the TIE on jakku is not so ordinary. Only him and BB8 (a droid ) heard them.

11. MeBeJedi

May 30, 2002
    BB-8 is FS?!? :eek:

Heroic BB-8 likes this.
  12. JediFinn

JediFinn Jedi Padawan star 1

Dec 29, 2015

FINN IS A DROID!!! See, I don't think anybody is making that leap, either...BB8 is a droid with better sensors than that of a normal human's....But I get that you're just doing that just to be sarcastic more than to engage in any type of discussion. So carry on, my wayward son.

pupuce I tend not to take things from the novelization too seriously, unless it majorly clears up something not seen in the movie. I mean, the author literally took 166 pages to fit in one description of Finn as being a dark-skinned young man after waxing poetic about Poe and Kylo Ren's looks. He also added a scene where Rey is being objectified by the male gaze, where there were clearly none in the movie. So. Take what you will from it lol.

13. pupuce

Jan 10, 2016

i quoted it , because in the movie it's the same.

griffon2k likes this.
  14. darthjj88

darthjj88 Jedi Master star 2

Oct 31, 2012
    In the movie Finn doesn't react to the sound till we heard the sound, so I took it as he knew what he was hearing and Rey wasn't familiar with the sound of TIEs. The novelization can just confuse you, but the movie supersedes where applicable. Just how I perceived that scene.

15. Chiaroscuro Side

Chiaroscuro Side Jedi Knight star 1

Jan 3, 2016
    Ima gonna start with an admission that Finn becoming a Jedi is my personal preference. Call it wishful thinking, whatever, it is my preference. He quickly has become one of my favorite SW characters, and I think that his history and character makeup would make him a very compelling Jedi. Honestly I am not all that interested in whether he is FS or somehow "gifted," the path of a character walks is more interesting to me than what they start out with as gifts, and I definitely think Finn's path would make him a very compelling Jedi.

Now for my actual argument in favor of him being a Jedi:

Broadly speaking, SW has two kinds of Jedi: Obi-Wans and Anakins.

The Obi-Wans are never in any real danger of falling to the dark side. They are noble and tragic figures. They lose those that they love (Obi-Wan lost Satine and Anakin) and bear is somehow, but their character is never stained by the tragedy they bear. The losses they bear without losing themselves make them compelling. I would argue that Rey is an Obi-Wan type in this regard. She loses her family, but somehow bears it without losing herself. I don't think that the Dark Side will get her.

The Anakins are the the compassionate Jedi, and their care for others makes them vulnerable to falls. Anakin himself is the obvious archetype. IMO Luke is of this type, but he is an example of one that doesn't fall.

What makes me think that Finn is going to be a Jedi is that he is presented as someone whose nobility (and potential noble flaw) is his care for others. His care for Slip, for Poe, and most especially for Rey makes him a character of this type. He is willing to risk the whole galaxy to go save Rey. The Dark Side is going to have a heydey making temptations for him.

It would be a waste if they don't make Finn a Jedi.

16. AllEyezOnTheDarkSide

AllEyezOnTheDarkSide Jedi Knight star 2

Nov 25, 2015
    I more or less agree with your distinction between "Anakin type" and "Obi-Wan type" Jedi...especially the latter. However I disagree on which side Finn falls into. I feel like Finn represents everything you've stated about the "Obi-Wan" type Jedi. I've noticed how Finn is consistently presented as the "opposite" of Kylo Ren, both on Drew Struzens poster and the theatrical poster aswell as most of the marketing for TFA (which I belived vaguely forshadowed the futures of our three central characters).

The fact that Finn is shown defecting before he can even take a single innocent life, I think speaks volumes on who his character will be going forward. I feel like Finn represents "Pure good" and he has a strong moral compass. If Kylo has an affinity for both the light and the dark (but will be a champion of the darkside for the most -if not the entire- ST) then I think Finn has a natural connection with the light.... he's an incredibly empathic individual and I just dont think Finn has it in him to be cruel. My favorite example of this is of when him and Rey get blown to **** and his first words after waking were: "Are you hurt?" This is AFTER Rey has awoken mind you. On the surface this scene comes across as just one of Finns many comedic moments but in truth it's a glimpse into who this guy really is...

Personally I feel like Rey is the one bubbling just below the surface. She has every reason to be angry but instead she chooses to keep believing in her parents return. What happens when Rey asks Luke what everyones been thinking? "Are you my father?" What happens when (unlike Han) Luke isn't the father she had hoped? What happens if she learns that Luke knew where she had been all along but had choosen to keep his distance (for shame and/or fear of Snoke finding her)? That her hope was a false one? That she was a fool to think that anyone would ever come back for her? What happens when a new and improved Kylo Ren stands over a defeated and disillusioned Rey and once and says "you need a teacher"?

I don't think she'll turn but I could definitely see her giving into her fear momentarily and drawing on the Darkside.

If Rey were to temperarly abandon the fight against the FO by the end of 8, I'd like to think that's where Finn would come in. Under Lukes tutelage I'd like to think he'd take the slower and harder path to Jedihood. Finn is the antithesis of Kylo Ren (his association with color white, both at the start and very end of TFA, his moral compass dispite how he was raised etc.) and thus I feel he will whole-heartedly be a champion for the Lightside.

Alot of of this theory is based on where I predict the direction of the ST is headed but nontheless I wanted to throw it out there...

At the end of the day Finn is Finn. But if we're going to give out labels, my bets are on Finn being the "Obi-Wan" of the ST. But he'll also be the "Luke" to Reys "Anakin"....so I guess that really makes Luke the "Obi-wan"....but I guess Luke's really more of a "Yoda" seeing as Hans like the "Obi-Wan" of TFA....the "OT Obi-Wan" of course....not the "PT Obi-Wan".....because....Finns.....the "PT Obi-Wan".........

Sent from my SM-G900W8 using Tapatalk

17. Chiaroscuro Side

Jan 3, 2016
    LOL, Thanks for the reply. As you point out, I wouldn't want to push the Jedi typology too far.

I guess we see the characters through a different lens. I guess where I am coming from with Finn is what makes him heroic is his nonconformity and his compassionate unwillingness to abandon those who he sees as needing him. Both were traits very strong in Anakin, and led to his downfall. I am not saying that Finn will necessarily fall, but the seeds are there for the trial.

I just don't see Rey as a character who could be governed by anger or bitterness. If the crappy hand she was dealt didn't embitter or darken her spirit, I don't see anything she could learn from Luke about the circumstances of her abandonment would do it either. I suppose her sense of righteousness could make her vulnerable to vengeance against Ren and Snoke, but I don't see anger or bitterness getting the better of her.

Anyways, I know they aren't going to let the great character they have in Rey go undeveloped. I just hope they don't waste what they have in Finn.

18. pupuce

Jan 10, 2016
    Finn had been raised by the darkside. FO is darkside ( without the mystical force ) . If he didn't fall in the darkside while being raised by it. He won't fall later for it either. He cared for Slip, slip died, he could have fallen dark because of that death. And go crazy killing everyone,blaming them for slip death, being angry and full of sadness,bitterness.

But slip death woke him up, to the light side.

Finn FS or not, is definetely the moral compass. The goodness. Probably the anchor that will stop Rey to go too far. Finn after leaving her ( at Maz ) returned for her at starbase killer. the fact he returned for her, is so huge for Rey, nobody came back for her. Finn is now the person she trusted and cared about the most. Finn will be the light when Things will become top difficult for Rey.

Jedi Merkurian and Rhyoth like this.
  19. Chiaroscuro Side

Jan 3, 2016
    I am not sure the whole "moral compass" thing is all that much help in getting around the dark side. In truth there isn't much difference between "being a person with strong moral compass" and "being a self righteous douche." Remember all the moralizing Hux did about the Republic's "lies and disorder" and Kylo's moralizing about the "traitors and thieves" that Rey associated with? A strong moral compass can lead someone very much astray. ANY noble or good quality can be used by the dark side to destroy someone. I still think that the very qualiities that make Finn so good and noble, his nonconformity and compassion, are a source of danger for him if he follows the path of the force.

20. AhsokaSolo

AhsokaSolo Force Ghost star 7

Dec 23, 2015
    I tend to fall in the Finn-is-the-light side of things, while Rey is the one that will be tempted, but I feel like Chiaroscuro Side makes the opposite argument pretty well. I do think they have presented compassion as a trait that can lead to the dark side, and Finn has an overabundance of it.

Shallow as it is, though, I think the imagery is important. Finn was promoted out the yin yang glowing with blue from the light saber. He was also very clearly on the light side of the poster. I don't think that was by accident. Meanwhile, Rey was in the middle of the poster, closer to the dark side than to the light, and she was never promoted with blue. In fact, her moving poster/image thing subtly showed a shadow cast over her. Plus the book makes it clear she was tempted by the dark side during her duel with Kylo Ren. I feel like LF is putting the idea of Finn = light and Rey = grey in our minds with the imagery.

21. Chiaroscuro Side

Jan 3, 2016
    Thx for the kind words. In the end, for me, I don't really care which person they decide to send down the "tempted by the dark side" path. I just want them to not waste what they have in Boyega as Finn. What a great character.

22. Gabriel Tossan

Gabriel Tossan Jedi Youngling star 1

Nov 17, 2015
    Hey guys, im writing to say that i just bought a Storm trooper mask to were in Carnival here in Brasil, and im looking forward to meets a Rey and solve The friendzone problem! And...of course, im a Jedi!

Heroic BB-8 likes this.
  23. Chiaroscuro Side

Jan 3, 2016
    [face_phbbbbt] "THAT'S NOT HOW IT WORKS!"

Jedi Merkurian and MeBeJedi like this.
  24. JediAce1

JediAce1 Force Ghost star 5

May 8, 2014
  25. FN-2187

FN-2187 Jedi Knight star 3

Nov 6, 2015