main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Bets! Will Finn develop Force powers/become a Jedi?

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by DARTH_small_paw, Dec 19, 2015.

?

Will Finn develop Force powers/become a Jedi

1. yes

203 vote(s)
    41.0%
  2. no

292 vote(s)
    59.0%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Grand Master Galen Marek

Grand Master Galen Marek Jedi Knight star 4

Jun 22, 2014
    I hope he does develop force powers but I think he should focus on his fighting more
    [​IMG]

2. ThreeDeathstickProblem

ThreeDeathstickProblem Force Ghost star 5

Sep 25, 2014
    There's an interesting question here. Assuming that Finn is experiencing an Obi-Wan moment here, the question is why did Rey, who is apparently stronger with the force than Finn and only a few hundred yards from him at this moment, not also hear or sense the destruction?

I'm not asking rhetorically. I'm wondering what explanations would be offered for the disparity.

Count_DoodooKuku likes this.
  3. Yoda Windu

Yoda Windu Jedi Youngling star 1

Dec 31, 2015
    There's an interesting question here. Assuming that Finn is experiencing an Obi-Wan moment here, the question is why did Rey, who is apparently stronger with the force than Finn and only a few hundred yards from him at this moment, not also hear or sense the destruction?

I'm not asking rhetorically. I'm wondering what explanations would be offered for the disparity.[/quote]

The Hosnian destruction occurred when she ran after experiencing the vision. She appeared to stop and sit due to physical exhaustion. Another poster suggested that she was actually feeling the destruction at this time.

4. JediFinn

JediFinn Jedi Padawan star 1

Dec 29, 2015
    The Hosnian destruction occurred when she ran after experiencing the vision. She appeared to stop and sit due to physical exhaustion. Another poster suggested that she was actually feeling the destruction at this time.[/quote]

But that is pure conjecture, isn't it? The only person we see affected by the screams is Finn. It is purely focused on him and then on bystanders after the explosions. I don't think Rey felt it at all. She was pretty overwhelmed by her force vision at that point. In this scene, Rey has her vision and since everything seems to happen in tandem for her and Finn, the writers chose to have Finn's FS moment by hearing the screams. Psychometry and force sense are both pretty powerful force abilities, which leads me to believe that Finn is probably strong with the force in his own way too.

Personally, I don't think we can compare Obi-wan to Finn. Obviously Obi-wan is more trained and more powerful. However we've seen some interesting Force related things from Kylo Ren and Rey that we haven't seen before, especially from Rey who hasn't had any training whatsoever. So it's not outside the realm of possibility that Finn would be able to sense the destruction without any training too.

5. darth-sinister

darth-sinister Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 28, 2001
    But again, we're assuming it is the Force that he hears this and not the people surrounding him screaming because they see the laser. Just because those right next to him don't react, doesn't mean that others in the area didn't.

6. DL44Jo

DL44Jo Jedi Knight star 3

Aug 7, 2014
    Well, he's already a good fighter/shot so it would seem what he'll need to work on are his Force abilities once he's aware he has them.

7. JediFinn

JediFinn Jedi Padawan star 1

Dec 29, 2015
    Yes, but we are not shown this at all and it is not in the script. What is shown is the crowd murmuring and coming outside to look at the streak in the sky after Finn's scene is done. Possibly murmuring in confusion and fear, but nothing as extreme as the screams we heard from Finn's pov. It is probably others seeing it that they notified others to come out. I would say that Maz felt it and went outside, but since that isn't shown anywhere it's just still a guess on my part. If it was a loud sound that can draw out others inside the castle (with music playing to boot) I see no point in not letting us see Rey's reaction too. Unless it was meant to be Finn's moment, and that's how it was shown onscreen. Finn's pov.

afrojedi and StormScavenger like this.
  8. Grand Master Galen Marek

Grand Master Galen Marek Jedi Knight star 4

Jun 22, 2014
    Agreed if he possess the force, I wasn't seeing much of it, a friend of mine think he may have used it to get BB8 to give the thumbs up.

9. Unkar's Muffins

Unkar's Muffins Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 4, 2002
    MORE EVIDENCE THAT FINN WILL BECOME A JEDI!

Another reason why Finn will certainly become a Jedi: story-wise, Finn will CERTAINLY want to confront Kylo again, not only for the injury he sustained on Finn, but also that he hurt Rey. Even if one wanted to say that Jedi will not seek revenge, it is also possible that Kylo will want to confront Finn, again. Story-wise, a confrontation between Finn and Kylo is certain, and logically, there is no way that Finn will be able to fight Kylo again UNLESS HE RECEIVES JEDI TRAINING. Think about that. There is no way that Finn is going to hold a candle to Kylo after he is trained yet further by Snoke. Another battle between Finn and Kylo is inevitable.

Also, in the included video, the presenter talks about two JEDI from comic books and games that appear to have their characterizations combined to make Finn in TFA. Can you guess the first Jedi's name?

You guessed it...FINN GALFRIDIAN!

Can you guess the other Jedi character?

KYLE KATARN! Why Katarn? Because he was previously a stormtrooper who defected to the Rebellion, and learned of his force sensitivity later on.

So, here we have two Jedi characters from Legends/EU that when combined, make the perfect explanation for Finn of TFA.

None of this is absolute proof, of course, that Finn will be a Jedi. But after this information and all the other bits, I think it is very obvious where this is going. I don't know what reason anyone would have to deny the fairly robust amount of evidence at this point, especially since we see that the TFA creative team decided to use Jaina and Jacen Solo for Rey and Kylo. With Galfridian and Katarn, they have simply combined the two for Finn's character. The writing is on the wall, my friends.

afrojedi and Jedi Merkurian like this.
  10. DL44Jo

Aug 7, 2014
    And all the people I've talked to in person (normal, every day people that have real names and faces) have said they hope Finn will have the Force. I haven't met one person who doesn't want that and I've talked to a lot of people. So since it's been left open for the possibility for Finn to have the Force it seems like it would just make more sense and make more people happy if he did.

11. doduble

doduble Jedi Youngling

Apr 30, 2016
    I want it noted that I am the one that can realized the truth first, and it is that.... What he was referring to "what Vader started" is the key to the prophecy of him (or his family linage) to bring "balance to the force" isn't necessarily about killing off the Sith for good or getting rid of all of them, (they have believed to do so many times through out the SW history but the keep popping back up when believed to be finally killed off (as do the jedi in the rare occasions that the sith have pulled it off, and that's why i've come to this conclusion) Its about bringing balance to the force in the jedi meaning in all force wielders. What I mean by that is they have to balance the good and bad within themselves and understand that they cant ignore a whole side to "human nature" and push out all emotions and connections cause it makes the force want to balance out by putting pure desire, anger, hatred, and yes LOVE (basically emotion) into a pure uncontrolled form (The Sith).

What I believe happened is luke has realized that and or Vader/Anakin force ghost informed him about the realization. However he came the the conclushion he thought he mastered it or has and tried to teach it to the next gen of jedi, (or maybe they have a new name given that they would be nether pure jedi or pure sith, I would guess 80% Jedi goodness and control 20%Sith or allowed CONTROLLED emotions), anyway something when wrong sith his star pupil Kilo Ren and he couldn't control the emotions and the darkness that exsist in all intelligent beings but is completely suppressed in jedi and controlled by others who are just good people. So he,... well we all know what he did, whet all Cad Bane on the younglings, and maybe misinterpreted Vaders conclusion and figured that both sides had to be destroyed and is in the dark side to get the last sith lord then get Luke to end it all? (ya the last theory is just a wild guess but I figured id throw it in there while i'm writing this).

In conclusion I believe that the Balance that's been talked about throughout the series is about finding a balance within the jedi and or all force wielders and not pushing it out of all of the jedi to make/force the "Force" and or Universe to correct the imbalance by creating a pure form of the darkness with in a few beings (Sith) to rebalance the "Force". So Luke was trying to teach the new Jedi how to allow them to accept all aspect of themselves but to control emotions, connections and cravings so they all take a little bit of the burden of "darkness" that exist in all and not allow it to (of need to) rebalance the force with a pure dark entity with the Sith.

12. DL44Jo

Aug 7, 2014
    Yeah, if the PT was really trying to say that it's wrong to love someone in a relationship like having a spouse or to miss your mother (which is what they essentially made it sound like) then I feel they have mangled with what the good side of the Force was originally intended to be. I'm still trying to figure out why GL messed with and damaged his own creation that was a perfect creation to begin with. And when I say that I'm not just referring to the Force (which may be left unsaid).

I had heard that the original Jedi code did not have that attachment contingency on it though and maybe that's what Luke will find while being at the first Jedi Temple. I hope! I think they need to scrap the whole 'attachment' detail added in the PT. I can understand if they frown upon extreme attachments that keep a Jedi from fulfilling their reponsibilities and causes them to move toward the dark side. But relationships can enhance one's character and bring greater inner peace and desire to serve and bring peace to the galaxy.

I felt the OT kept the Force simplified, less complicated - the good side being calm, at peace, non-aggressive, etc' - a jedi seeks after these things - they are not necessarily perfect in them. And oppression, anger, fear, aggression, hate - the dark side are they. So I guess it all depends on what the individual is aiming for, not necessarily what they absolutely are one way or the other. When Darth Vader made the choice to throw the Emperor into the reactor to save Luke he made a conscience decision in that moment to choose good over evil. So in that moment he was good and started back on the path of the good side. If he hadn't died and continued to make choices that brings peace, calm, non-aggression, etc' then he would still be a good Force user even if not perfect. It's like the Old Republic RPG where with every choice in the game your Force bar would move either closer to the good side or the dark side of the Force. If you stay in the middle of both and never progress toward one side or the other well then you're doing some good, but the dark side choices are still causing oppression, anger, fear, aggression, hate, etc'. If you don't want that then just move away from the dark side by making choices that move you closer to the light.

So if Finn is FS I think he will lean more toward the light, but not perfect because no one is - not even Jedi.

13. AllEyezOnTheDarkSide

AllEyezOnTheDarkSide Jedi Knight star 2

Nov 25, 2015
    I've been working on a compilation video showing all the callbacks/parallels between Luke, Han and Finn/possible hints of his force sensitivity. Nothing crazy, just something that gathers all of the "evidence" for the Finn= FS Theory. I hope to show it to you guys soon!

Sent from my SM-G900W8 using Tapatalk

14. darth-sinister

Jun 28, 2001
    More than likely Finn's final confrontation will not be Ben, but with Phasma. Especially since she was his superior officer and he tossed her down a garbage chute.

Uh, Lucas's views about love were already there in the OT. Luke almost turns because of his attachment to his friends, something that the Sith try to exploit. Lucas had already decided in 1978, that Han and Leia would get together and that Luke was going to be concentrating on his training, to pick up with someone else. And when Luke leaves Dagobah, it is because of his attachment to his friends. Just as Lucas would parallel with Anakin leaving Naboo to rescue his mother. Likewise when Luke learns that he has a sister in Leia, he is now tempted with the dark side in order to protect her from harm. Just as Anakin starts his descent because the visions of Padme dying prompt him to want to protect her.

Lucas doesn't say that a Jedi cannot love, but that they must not give into the dark side. Part of that is to love selflessly and compassionately. To accept that your loved ones will come and go in your life and to not fight to keep them. To not give into fear and to be motivated by greed. Anakin is told to let go of his fears, because you cannot live in fear your whole life. Anakin misses Shmi because he is afraid for her. Fear is the path to the dark side. He is not wrong to be afraid, but he must learn to let go of that fear. When he sees Padme dying, he is already mourning her death when she is alive and well in the moment. He is mourning what he will lose, his sense of loneliness and attachment, rather than the person in question.

Ezon Pin likes this.
  15. FanFromNY

FanFromNY Jedi Knight star 2

Jan 28, 2016
    I keep on going back and forth ever since the film came out. Now, I'm just sticking with Finn will not be FS. Two reasons. 1) What Boyega said about how there were no indications of him being FS in TFA. And (2) Daisy Ridley's comment - that's she thinks Finn is force sensitive. I doubt Daisy would divulge what is in the storyline for episode VIII and to openly state that she thinks Finn is FS means that it will not even be discussed in his arc.

16. DL44Jo

Aug 7, 2014
    [/quote] Uh, Lucas's views about love were already there in the OT. Luke almost turns because of his attachment to his friends, something that the Sith try to exploit. Lucas had already decided in 1978, that Han and Leia would get together and that Luke was going to be concentrating on his training, to pick up with someone else. And when Luke leaves Dagobah, it is because of his attachment to his friends. Just as Lucas would parallel with Anakin leaving Naboo to rescue his mother. Likewise when Luke learns that he has a sister in Leia, he is now tempted with the dark side in order to protect her from harm. Just as Anakin starts his descent because the visions of Padme dying prompt him to want to protect her.

Lucas doesn't say that a Jedi cannot love, but that they must not give into the dark side. Part of that is to love selflessly and compassionately. To accept that your loved ones will come and go in your life and to not fight to keep them. To not give into fear and to be motivated by greed. Anakin is told to let go of his fears, because you cannot live in fear your whole life. Anakin misses Shmi because he is afraid for her. Fear is the path to the dark side. He is not wrong to be afraid, but he must learn to let go of that fear. When he sees Padme dying, he is already mourning her death when she is alive and well in the moment. He is mourning what he will lose, his sense of loneliness and attachment, rather than the person in question.[/quote]

I agree that the concept of fear leading to the dark side was evident in the OT, but it was never mentioned that Jedi cannot marry or that they cannot have a relationship - that was introduced in the PT. I also mentioned in my post - "I can understand if they frown upon extreme attachments that keep a Jedi from fulfilling their reponsibilities and causes them to move toward the dark side". Anakin allowed this to happen, but that doesn't mean every Jedi that gets married or has a relationship will be obsessed like he was.

Also, I admit my love/hate relationship with GL tends to come out once in a while. [face_whistling]

17. Jedi Merkurian

Jedi Merkurian Future Films Rumor Naysayer star 7 Staff Member Manager

May 25, 2000
    :eek: I'd forgotten about him! Maybe I'll get to see my favorite Jedi Master Skywalker training moment adapted...

18. darth-sinister

Jun 28, 2001
    Right, but nothing precluded it from being that way. Lucas himself went back and forth on it during the making of ANH. He hadn't made a decision and so he just dropped the issue. All we had was what Obi-wan said that Anakin wanted for his son, but that's it. Nothing concrete about it being common that Jedi had families or not.

But many did during the last war with the Sith. That's why it was forbidden for a Jedi to start a family intentionally. They're not celibate, but the overall goal is to put the greater good ahead of their own needs. Even before selling his company, Lucas had said that Luke wouldn't be married if he had done the ST.

19. DL44Jo

Aug 7, 2014
    That is interesting. I wonder if he would have said the same thing about the ST at the time he was making the OT. Now that it's in Disney's hands and Luke is probably receiving old wisdom at the temple, that is something I hope they will change regarding Jedi. I think we might be getting a little off topic though. ;)

20. darth-sinister

Jun 28, 2001
    TOTAL FILM: "Are you happy for new Star Wars tales to be told after you're gone?"

GEORGE LUCAS: "I've left pretty explicit instructions for there not to be any more features. There will definitely be no Episodes VII-IX. That's because there isn't any story. I mean, I never thought of anything. And now there have been novels about the events after Episode VI, which isn't at all what I would have done with it. The Star Wars story is really the tragedy of Darth Vader. That is the story. Once Vader dies, he doesn't come back to life, the Emperor doesn't get cloned and Luke doesn't get married..."

--Total Film interview, 2008.

This was one to two years before Lucas decided to start moving towards doing the ST. And before Bob Iger approached Lucas about buying him out. To keep it with the ST, we don't know if Luke was ever married or not. We don't know if Rey is his daughter or not, much less Finn. It is possible that the ST keeps to this, to one degree or another.

Ezon Pin likes this.
  21. Sith-I-5

Sith-I-5 Force Ghost star 6

Aug 14, 2002
    In 1977/78/79, Lucas first said there would be ten films, then that was amended to three trilogies.

Jedi Merkurian likes this.
  22. Unkar's Muffins

Dec 4, 2002
    Oh certainly. But nearly all saber battles in Star Wars are followed up by another confrontation. Think about it.

Jedi Merkurian and DL44Jo like this.
  23. DL44Jo

Aug 7, 2014
    I do like the idea of Finn having a rematch with Kylo and winning.

Edit: And I have to say I'd be disappointed if this doesn't happen.

24. Unkar's Muffins

Dec 4, 2002
    Yeah. I mean, he hurt his girl. AND, Kylo is prolly gonna try to entice her to the darkside. So, definitely, maybe.

25. luketheforeigner

luketheforeigner Jedi Youngling star 1

Apr 16, 2016
    No there should only be one Jedi in the group and that is Rey and since that the Jedi have be nearly destroyed. And if Finn was force sensitive Kylo would of sensed him

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.