main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Bets! Will Finn develop Force powers/become a Jedi?

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by DARTH_small_paw, Dec 19, 2015.

?

Will Finn develop Force powers/become a Jedi

1. yes

203 vote(s)
    41.0%
  2. no

292 vote(s)
    59.0%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Unkar's Muffins

Unkar's Muffins Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 4, 2002
    He did sense him. At the village massacre on Jakku when he was still a stormtrooper. But I don't think he knew what to make of it, as nothing had happened yet.

Sent from my Gigaset QV830 using Tapatalk

Jedi Merkurian likes this.
  2. DL44Jo

DL44Jo Jedi Knight star 3

Aug 7, 2014
    Why do you feel there should only be one Jedi in the group? And how do we know Kylo didn't sense Finn is FS or that he even had to sense it yet for it to be so? Kylo didn't realize Rey had the Force until she turned his mind reading back on him. Finn having or not having the Force isn't absolute at this point. Discussing what we think or would like to see is something else. If you were just sharing what you want to see then cool.

3. luketheforeigner

luketheforeigner Jedi Youngling star 1

Apr 16, 2016
    DL44Jo yeah just shearing my thoughts on Finn

DL44Jo likes this.
  4. DL44Jo

Aug 7, 2014
    I'm hoping that's what's happening in that scene. It's an indication, but it's possible he's just noticing he broke from his conditioning.

5. Unkar's Muffins

Dec 4, 2002
    I like your idea that Kylo's comment about finishing Anakin/Vader,'s work could have another meaning. We've probably been assuming that Kylo is being deceived by Snoke, that somehow Snoke has been convincing Kylo to do something evil. But, in fact, maybe Kylo's life, too, will be part of a grand "plan" of the Force.

doduble likes this.
  6. Unkar's Muffins

Dec 4, 2002
    Luke had a rematch. Obi Wan had a rematch. Maul had a rematch. Dooku had a rematch. Sidious had a rematch is arguable, if one is willing to consider force lightening as a saber-equivalent. Jango Fett had a rematch. Greivous kinda had a rematch, if you're willing to consider he forfeited on the deck of the battlecruiser against Anakin and Obi Wan, but then faced Obi Wan again, later.

DL44Jo and Jedi Merkurian like this.
  7. Jedi Merkurian

Jedi Merkurian Future Films Rumor Naysayer star 7 Staff Member Manager

May 25, 2000
    Bruh, this ain't Highlander where "There can be only one!" LOL

8. darth-sinister

darth-sinister Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 28, 2001

And that'll be Rey versus Ben.

[​IMG]

He sensed his hesitation, fear and uncertainty. His thoughts or feelings had betrayed him. Not that he had the Force.

Count_DoodooKuku likes this.
  9. Yoda Windu

Yoda Windu Jedi Youngling star 1

Dec 31, 2015
    Kylo Ren is not omnipotent. There were plenty of scared people around him. It seems unlikely that fear or hesitation would cause a dramatic stop and stare.

10. DL44Jo

Aug 7, 2014
    [quote="DL44Jo
    I do like the idea of Finn having a rematch with Kylo and winning.

Edit: And I have to say I'd be disappointed if this doesn't happen.[/quote]

[​IMG]

Well, I can always hope. :) And haha I love your choice of meme! ;)

11. Unkar's Muffins

Dec 4, 2002
    Yup. Think about it from the creative team's point of view. "We need to have Kylo Ren notice Finn. There are all these other people scared to death and getting shot up, but we need ot focus on Finn and Kylo looking at each other."

afrojedi and Jedi Merkurian like this.
  12. Unkar's Muffins

Dec 4, 2002
    I'm willing to accept Finn is just a regular guy. But his name is from a past Jedi, his background is copied from a past Jedi, and his stormtrooper designation 2187 literally meant The Force. Sooooo.....LOL!

DL44Jo likes this.
  13. DL44Jo

Aug 7, 2014
    There is a lot of evidence that Finn could have the Force so I'm hoping that's the route they take, but I don't understand when one side or the other says they are certain he won't or he will when it really could go either way. But I am REALLY hoping Finn will have the Force! Come on Rian, we're counting on you to come through for us here!

cbsnswf2390 and Count_DoodooKuku like this.
  14. Unkar's Muffins

Dec 4, 2002
    Well, the thread title does say "Bets!" :)

DL44Jo likes this.
  15. DL44Jo

Aug 7, 2014
    True - and it's too late to create a thread called 'who hopes Finn will have the Force' with the existence of this one.

16. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    I bet you my brain and heart that Finn will speak in VIII!!

Darth Basin likes this.
  17. darth-sinister

Jun 28, 2001

Everyone else is dead. Ben doesn't sense his emotions until after the order to wipe out the camp was given and executed. Thus he can sense Finn over everyone else who is on the same page.

His name is Finn because of the first to letters of his designation. The same way that CT-5555 was named Fives because of it. His background is not copied from anyone. You really think they're going to take his story from a video game? 2817 doesn't mean anything other than it was a number pulled out of their asses when creating him.

18. DL44Jo

Aug 7, 2014
    F
    I have to correct you on one thing - I won't speak for the rest of it. 21-87 is the name of the movie that inspired GL with the idea of the Force. It was also the name of Leia's cell number in IV.

19. graw44

graw44 Jedi Knight star 3

Apr 6, 2016
    I had an idea that if Finn is to be force sensitive it would come about through other means, like he wont find out like Rey does in this super elaborate vision, but it may be something more like Reys resistance to Kylo, but on a smaller scale since Rey seems to be very strong. I had hoped whoever kelly tran is playing she has a connection to a force user we know, either Maz or Luke, and she may aid Finn in discovering his force sensitivity.

Im not married to the idea of him as force sensitive, but I do want him to have a rematch with Kylo very badly, and him having the force and being better prepared for the duel may be really great to see.

DL44Jo and Nanosoft like this.
  20. Unkar's Muffins

Dec 4, 2002
  21. darth-sinister

Jun 28, 2001

Leia wasn't Force sensitive when he wrote ANH. That didn't come until ROTJ, when it was being written. So if the number has significance, it is only might be because of that. Like 1138 and 327.

22. DL44Jo

Aug 7, 2014
    The cell number reference wasn't to suggest it's tied to Leia having the Force - it was to give a second example of the number's significance to SW since you said you thought it was 'a number pulled out of their asses'.

Count_DoodooKuku likes this.
  23. darth-sinister

Jun 28, 2001
    It might have been. We don't know for certain if there is any meaning.

24. ThreeDeathstickProblem

ThreeDeathstickProblem Force Ghost star 5

Sep 25, 2014
    Certainly, but there's something to be said for acknowledging the scarcity of Jedi in the Galaxy by having them be scarce in the main cast. In the PT, 2/3 of the main trio were Jedi, arguably because there were 5,000 times more Jedi around than in the OT, when only one member of the main trio was a Jedi. If there are more Jedi to be rediscovered or trained in the ST, my own preference would be that they remain in the tertiary cast, a la Merry and Pippin in the LOTR films. Because in the ST the Jedi are still very much near extinction, marginalized to the point of myth. Making 2/3rds of your main heroic trio part of this marginal group tilts the story's focus in a way that could belie the stakes.

I hope no one takes offense to this comment, as I'm not necessarily arguing against Finn being FS, but for the potential value in keeping the focus less centered on powered characters.

Maylander and DL44Jo like this.
  25. DL44Jo

Aug 7, 2014
    I can see your point - and I think there's a good chance for that reason they may keep Rey as the only Jedi/FS in the main trio. Something that has kept coming back to my mind is the comment made a while back by the makers/JJ that the awakening happened the moment Finn and Rey met. Of course that debunked a lot of my theories of when the awakening happened, but it also made me wonder why is it when those two meet. The main one that stands out for me is because they are both FS. And maybe not, but for me that makes the most sense. I'd actually be interested to hear what others thoughts or theories are on why that may have been the moment the Force is awakened.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.