main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Bets! Will Finn develop Force powers/become a Jedi?

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by DARTH_small_paw, Dec 19, 2015.

?

Will Finn develop Force powers/become a Jedi

1. yes

203 vote(s)
    41.0%
  2. no

292 vote(s)
    59.0%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. darth-sinister

darth-sinister Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 28, 2001
    It happens then because that's when they both go off on their call to adventure.

DL44Jo likes this.
  2. DL44Jo

DL44Jo Jedi Knight star 3

Aug 7, 2014
    Could be.

I'll probably keep hoping it has something to do with Finn having the Force until we see 8.

3. Shakez

Shakez Jedi Master star 3

Aug 22, 2014
    Cross post from Finn's Episode VIII thread:
    http://livestream.com/PollockTheater/events/5384719/videos/123066017
    At around 46.50 minutes an audience members asks about the Finn misdirect in terms of him being the Jedi.

This interview alone gives me hope that Finn might become a Jedi eventually. The way the editor explained it seemed like they wanted to make a point across that Finn and Rey we're both special, but they we're holding back because they didn't want to reveal everything straight away (especially with Finn). Remember John's instagram post we're he explained he was instructed to hold back the entire time during shooting.

Another big point she's talking about is that their are different levels of force-sensitivity. Lucas explaining to Abrams that Obi-Wan isn't strong with the force, that he was just average. Anakin is strong with the force, Yoda was, Luke was, Rey is... Finn might have some level of force-sensitivity, but more akin to the level of an Obi-Wan/Qui-Gon, and that would be fine by me. They both went to become powerful Jedi masters.

And lastly, like the editor explained, Finn isn't a Jedi until he goes through Jedi training (same as Rey).

FlyingOx and Elegant Weapon like this.
  4. JediAce1

JediAce1 Force Ghost star 5

May 8, 2014
    This is exactly what I predicted they would do before the movie came out. TFA would focus on Rey's discovery of the force and VIII would reveal Finn's force sensitivity as well. Rey is the main character, so it makes sense why they would want the focus on her for the first movie.

I feel like this interview is the best evidence yet that Finn is FS. She says they would discuss different levels of the Force and how GL saw Obi-Wan as an average Force User compared to Anakins powers which were off the charts.

5. Jartrooper

Jartrooper Jedi Youngling

May 7, 2016
    If Finn was a force sensitive Jedi, wouldn't he have went with Rey to find Luke? Because we know she went there to find him and to train or whatever. Honestly I was hoping that he would be a normal character, not force sensitive. Yeah it would be cool to see him become a Jedi, but I feel as though that would be too much a coincidence.

darthjj88 likes this.
  6. JediAce1

May 8, 2014
    Maybe Finn won't become an official Jedi and he'll just be a regular force user like Maz or Leia.

Jartrooper likes this.
  7. Luke02

Luke02 Chosen One star 6

Sep 19, 2002
    Will he? Yes. Do I want him to? Ehhhhhhh. Finn came off as too much fun sidekick then bad a$$ warrior for me to believe he is going to be a regular force user.

Edit: I like Finn but he should be part of the regular Resistance since while believed he could shoot a gun on a fighter or pull the trigger at bad guys on the ground, I found the scenes where he tried to throw down with a lightsaber to be almost laughable.

Jartrooper likes this.
  8. Jartrooper

Jartrooper Jedi Youngling

May 7, 2016
    I think that Finn is better left off not as a main character; I like his role in the movie, but I can't see him being a powerful force user like Rey or Luke. He might play a larger role with the resistance though, just not as a Jedi.

9. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    He's one of the leads obviously. I don't know where everyone is coming from with this sidekick nonsense.

10. JediAce1

May 8, 2014
    Jartrooper
    Luke02

I think Finn will come out of his coma a completely new man. He doesn't need to be as powerful as Luke or Rey to be effective.

Jartrooper likes this.
  11. Luke02

Luke02 Chosen One star 6

Sep 19, 2002

Who acted more like a clown at times then bad a$$ Jedi in waiting. He definitely had a sidekick feel to him even if he is one of the "leads" especially when you compare them to the other Big Three. You have Poe who is the best star pilot in the galaxy and seems ready to take a leading role for Leia in the Resistance while Rey is A New Hope Part Deux. And in his wildest dreams, Finn would never be as cool or bad a$$ as Han Solo who right away showed just how tough and resourceful he was in ANH during a fight.

JediAce1

That is God awful then. Coma turns him from sidekick to Bad Ass Warrior. No thanks. Let him play second fiddle to Rey and particularly Poe who I think will be going on their own adventure (where Finn meets his new love interest) in Episode VIII.

12. I Are The Internets

Nov 20, 2012
    He may have "acted like a clown" because he had just defected from the most powerful military force in the galaxy and was on the run. He was scared ****less and improvising.

Jedi Merkurian likes this.
  13. JediAce1

May 8, 2014
    Luke went from whiny farmboy to badass Jedi knight. What's the difference?

14. I Are The Internets

Nov 20, 2012
    I'm starting to get a bad vibe from some of your posts Luke02.

Darth Djent, afrojedi and JediAce1 like this.
  15. Luke02

Luke02 Chosen One star 6

Sep 19, 2002
    Dude Luke is the son of the chosen one. Plus he didn't go into a bleeping coma a whiny brat and come out a bada$$. Luke had to work and struggle for it.

Jartrooper likes this.
  16. JediAce1

May 8, 2014
    Why can't Finn work for it like Luke did? Are you really expecting him to be the same for the rest of the trilogy?

Togruta likes this.
  17. afrojedi

afrojedi Jedi Master star 4

Oct 23, 2015
    If John is a known lead in this trilogy, and Finn shows potential (but still needing a lot of growth) after the first movie, do you think the writers:
    1. Give up their plans to show his growth in the remaining two films because there isn't enough time two movies for him to become a bad ass.
    2. Continue with their plans showing a former stormtrooper who knew/feared the power of the FO and wanted to escape it all, to a man who ultimately becomes a major hero of this new resistance possibly even a Jedi (i.e. show serious growth in his character).
    Han was all about money in ANH. That changed right away in ESB when he risked his life to find Luke in that winter storm. We've seen 1 out of 3 movies... it's just a little too soon to pin absolutes to these characters.

Elegant Weapon and Jartrooper like this.
  18. JediAce1

May 8, 2014
    Snoke: There has been an awakening, have you felt it?

Kylo: Yes...

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

19. JediAce1

May 8, 2014
    (From the official script)

Kylo Ren heads back toward his ship. But then he STOPS.
    FEELS SOMETHING. TURNS AND LOOKS AT OUR STORMTROOPER for a
    LONG MOMENT.

Rey arrives at a clearing. Small, modest, primitive stone
    structures. But no one around. Rey walks past them, sees,
    senses no one.
    And then she stops. FEELS SOMETHING. She turns.
    Standing forty feet away from her, his back to us, is a MAN,
    in a CLOAK AND ROBE.

20. Miguel Ancin

Miguel Ancin Jedi Youngling

Dec 21, 2015
    I agree on him maybe not being a Jedi, but he displayed abilities way beyond luke's. Luke feels nothing, when Alderaan is destroyed, Obiwann, as jedi master does, Rey does not feel a thing, as far as we know when those near systems are destroyed, Finn does. His connexion seems much more intense, and with much stronger potential.

21. Miguel Ancin

Miguel Ancin Jedi Youngling

Dec 21, 2015

I would not say Rey is the main character. It is a choral work, Rey , as far as we know, is a mora capable in battle jedi, but most of teh events are triggered, either for making davaeron escape, look try rescue rey, etc, by Finn. It is weird, but it feels like the core of the story is misplaced ( intentionally), as if Rey woudl be " supossed" (to be the force core of the movie, "hey , she displayed powers ina clear way... but.. there is somethign off), but at the same time, she seems to have less mystic abilities than Finn, where u can grasp somekind of ethic/ action/determination, in the whole movie. That joined to all the hints on Finn very possibliy being a force sensitive, for me it shows that this is not Rey's movie at all. If anything it is a choral work, on one trained jedi, ( her) that apparently is scared and confused, and mysterious too, which i thin that has problems with some dark side stuff, then Finn, that seems to be .. the light, and very possibly the response to the force, and the " awakening" that triggers all the events, and then maybe even Ren, that for me, he is gonna go back to the light, somehow. In the last combat , he was less agressive than rey, and rey was actually almost combating as a dark side user. Just my oppinion

FlyingOx likes this.
  22. Maylander

Maylander Jedi Knight star 1

Apr 27, 2016
    I doubt Finn is force sensitive, but I'd love to be wrong. I don't mind Rey, but she's so much along the lines of Anakin and Luke (humble beginnings in a desert, with incredible levels of mechanical and piloting skills) and I'd love to see something completely different. Finn fits the bill, and would make an interesting Jedi (I can imagine him being similar to Jolee Bindo when he's older, telling youngsters about his adventures in a grumpy, yet funny manner).

Sadly, I don't think it'll happen.

23. TheOneX_Eleazar

TheOneX_Eleazar Jedi Knight star 4

Oct 24, 2013
    The last we saw of Finn was him laying on a bed unconscious from a life threatening injury. In universe we have at best merely hints that Finn might be Force sensitive. So he is both unable to actually make the trip because of his injury, and has shown no reason why he would need to make the trip. Although, I am sure if he was awake he most likely would have made the trip with Rey.

24. WebLurker

WebLurker Jedi Master star 4

Mar 12, 2016
    I'm betting no, since I don't think the move offered any clues that he was, and poorly set it up if that was the intent,

25. kip73

kip73 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 30, 2003

This.

The only scene in TFA in which Finn displayed (what may have been) Force powers was when he seemed to hear audible screaming voices when Hosnian Prime was blown away.

However, I think his role will be different in this series. I do hope his character retains the ikability and sense of humor, though. John Boyega excels at it.

26. Darth Zero

Darth Zero Jedi Knight star 1

Jun 18, 2015
    No, and if he did it wouldn't have mattered, not at this point. Finn developing force powers in ep 8 isn't going to improve his story/character.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.