main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Full Series Better Grievous?

Discussion in 'Star Wars TV- Completed Shows' started by MaulLover1313, Mar 17, 2015.

?

What version of Grievous is best?

1. TCW Microseries

62.7%
  2. Republic Comics

3.9%
  3. LOE And ROTS Novel

5.9%
  4. Revenge Of The Sith

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. SWTCW

27.5%
  1. Werebazs

Werebazs Jedi Master star 1

Mar 20, 2013
    As it's been said before he mopped the floor with Ahsoka both times, while very clearly holding back. Also the first time it was sheer dumb luck that saved her. The only one who actually bested Grieovus ligthsaber-to-lightsaber is Ventress. Kit Fisto used evasion until he could get one of Grievous's lightsaber to match him two-to-three, Obi-Wan lost to him 3 separate times (Grievous only ever run after Obi-Wan had used the Force against him, until then, he dominated each of their fights!), he beat Adi Gallia twice, and Eeth Koth once (the MagnaGuards didn't get involved in the fight, until after Koth had used the Force to try and turn the table!).

2. Vorax

Vorax Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jun 10, 2014
    Ventress and Maul easily defeated Grievous. And all 3 times Grievous faced Maul in SOD, Grievous shouldve been killed already but he was plot/story protected due to his appearance in ROTS. Ahsoka was never a match for Grievous, both times she realized it even. She could only hold her own for limited time, mainly inorder to distract him. Which she did, first time to save Rex and buy Rex time to set the explosives, and again on Florrum to save the younglings she held Grievous at bay and nearly got killed if she wasnt agile, skilled and used the Force. Both times she fought the General, she came very close to death.

TheOneX_Eleazar likes this.
  3. Combine115

Combine115 Jedi Youngling

Mar 15, 2015
    Grievous was pretty badass in Season 7 Ep 2, the unfinished version pretty much. Had him cut off a dealers head and made Obi-wan loose in a lightsaber fight for the first time. Wish it was finished.

sarlaccsaurs-rex likes this.
  4. SithLordPat

SithLordPat Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 30, 2005
    TCW Microseries. He was a truely frightening, competent villain. His appearance in RoTS soon thereafter was immensely disappointing in comparison, and will likely live on to me as one of the most glaring moments where LucasFilm truly got it wrong.

5. darkspine10

darkspine10 Chosen One star 8

Dec 7, 2014
    I thought it was Season 6 episode 15?

6. Combine115

Combine115 Jedi Youngling

Mar 15, 2015

Yeah that could be it, i must be mistaken. Sorry

7. TheAvengerButton

TheAvengerButton Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 11, 2011
    You're both wrong. Season 5 episode 35.

8. Fuzzy ambassador

Fuzzy ambassador Jedi Master star 1

Sep 20, 2012
    Better Grievous? To me, the microseries. Yes, he was uber-powered, but so was everyone else in the cartoon. The way I see it, he was supposed to be this mysterious, fearsome new threat to the jedi. He was the Knight-Slayer. He was trained by count Dooku in many forms of battle, was encased in a duranium body and had a brain which had been tampered with to give him upgraded body coordination and ramped up anger/ aggression. I guess it's possible he could have taken down a bunch of jedi at once (especially the likes of Sha'a-Gi :p) It makes Kenobi look all the cooler in my book when he kills him.

9. TrandoJedi

TrandoJedi Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 4, 2011
    Like much of the microseries, the Grievous was definitely the best version. A true villain to give fear to the Republic and continue a cause for fighting against the Seps.

Skaddix likes this.
  10. The Sith Camp

The Sith Camp Jedi Knight star 4

Mar 10, 2015
    I couldn't really decide which version of General Grievous was the best but surely then again he was you could say several in one being; warrior, droid leader, unfortunate tragic failure (misguided), arrogant, cowardly (yet a smart coward whom often more than not goes 'until we meet again Jedi' before laughing and running away if he couldn't win), Jedi-hunter, Jedi-killer...

11. sarlaccsaurs-rex

sarlaccsaurs-rex Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 10, 2007
    LMAO at all the hispters and haters that don't like the microseries super characters. Hell I didn't even mind TFU, some people need to realize that ITS FOR FUN.

Also the reason OT force users seemed so weak was because of technical limitations. I'm sick of people trying to hold the EU and PT era jedi back by saying: "But luke and vader aren't that strong wahhhhhh!!!!!!"

Skaddix likes this.
  12. Gahmah Raan

Gahmah Raan Jedi Master star 3

Feb 2, 2015
    I don't know that much of his portrayals in the Republic comics and novels, so I don't have anything to say on those.

ROTS would be my least favorite portrayal of him. Mainly because the way he was portrayed in works promoting his then-upcoming appearance ended up feeling like false advertising, and he didn't really get to show any of his credibility as a Jedi-killer outside a deleted scene.

Microseries, he was definitely a frightening menace, and definitely the most badass of the portrayals. Overpowered, yes, but so was everyone else, and they needed some way to portray him as a Jedi-killing war machine when Jedi are made more exaggeratedly powerful. He's less of a person and more of an inhuman bio-mechanical weapon with intelligent thought.

TCW I think found the right balance in showing him as a more realistically powerful villain and showing his credentials as a tactician and Jedi-killer. He wasn't as badass as his microseries portrayal and was a coward as a stated in ROTS, but mostly in the pragmatic sense (no sense in hanging around a doomed a place). And they were occasionally able to portray in ways on par with his microseries level of terror by killing people unarmed (and Son of Dathomir really did a good job on that one). And I do feel he gets very little credit where credit is due sometimes only on the merits of A) not killing someone regardless of how powerful they or B) losing regardless of what was sacrificed to beat him. For instance in "Shadow Warrior", the Gungan army was only able to disable him because Tarpals deliberately took a death blow to incapacitate him (before, he was just cutting down every boomer thrown at him). "Duel of the Droids", he only failed to kill Ahsoka, and she only survived due to indirect intervention on Anakin's part. Ever since "Massacre", he's managed to stay at the top of his game. Even being held prisoner by Darth Maul was only a minor setback that was corrected with the push of a button. But overall, he tends to be at his best when he's fighting other powerful villains.

It's made me come to realize something. There's no pecking order of power in the Star Wars universe. It's a rock-paper-scissors power structure.

So my favorites would be the animated versions.

darskpine10 likes this.
  13. Vorax

Jun 10, 2014
  14. Jedi Knight Fett

Jedi Knight Fett Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2014
    I think ROTS is the best.

15. The Sith Camp

The Sith Camp Jedi Knight star 4

Mar 10, 2015
    I might be a complete Trollinator on this one but with General Grievous - be it from all incarnations of him one way or another - well perhaps not as much in ROTS but - isn't General Grievous like The Punisher of Separatists if not Star Wars? Considering the Punisher and General Grievous:

1.) Both lost loved ones or rather those they cared about ...
    2.) Both are more than trigger/blade-happy to kill anyone - even 'allies' at times ...
    3.) Both sure don't mess about when pissed off ...
    4.) Both sure can be ultra-violent at times when dishing out punishment and such ...
    5.) Both have been war veterans and were somewhat 'scarred' in a sense be it physically or emotionally ...

16. Thrawn082

Thrawn082 Force Ghost star 6

Jan 11, 2014
    -Well it's definitely NOT ROTS. He's really underdeveloped, boring, and unimpressive there, plus he barely gets any screentime and we don't even know who the HELL HE IS!! He just pops up out of knowhere with no foreshadowing whatsoever in the other two films and is all of a sudden the LEADER of the Seperatist Army, and we have NO context for him AT ALL. Frankly I would have removed him entirely and had either Dooku or Maul in that role (probably Maul as he's more interesting).

-In TCW TV show, he's written really inconsistently. Sometimes he's a really effective/scary opponent, and sometimes he's kind of a blundering fool. There's a lack of consistency.

-In the micro-series, he's cool. But I actually think that he has the opposite problem there, they make him TOO god-tier powerful/awesome.

So I'd say that the comics do the best job with him. For some reason, he's a character that many writers seem to struggle to get right.

Iron_lord likes this.
  17. Chancellor Yoda

Chancellor Yoda Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 25, 2014
    I picked the clone wars micro series as that was my favorite portrayal of Grievous in anything. Though I also loved his appearances in LOE and republic comics as he's shown to be dangerous threat. In fact, that's one the reasons I love the republic comics, it showed the separatists as competent and dangerous villains that did have there share of victories.

Iron_lord likes this.
  18. ekrolo2

ekrolo2 Jedi Knight star 2

Jun 17, 2014
    Micro series Grievous is the best one, although the TCW one did get in some pretty cool action bits in Son of Dathomir. Shame that he wasn't like that more in the show.

19. TK-421 Is vader

TK-421 Is vader Jedi Master star 3

Jan 5, 2015
    Never read the comics,Been a long time since I read labyrinth and as for the microseries: He made me give up watching it."I fight jedi masters without the force using SPINNING!Its a good trick!"If he could have been killed(Sadly labrinth and ROTS stopped that)I would have been glad to see Ahsoka kill him and explain that fighting super powered magic warriors by twirling his arms around is STUPID.

20. Vorax

Jun 10, 2014
    Grievous I more appreciated with the release of Star Wars Republic and later on TCW, which was a composite of the movie version and comic version. But Grievous was never a favorite of mine.