main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Better the second time?

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by squir1y, Feb 7, 2016.

1. squir1y

squir1y Jedi Master star 3

Feb 1, 2003
    The first time I saw The Force Awakens, I was underwhelmed. A lot of it was probably the attitude I had going in. Thanks to some jerkwads on social media, a major moment was spoiled for me. (Even though I saw it coming a mile away. Yes, THAT moment.) So I went into it with a "lets get this over with before I'm spoiled again" mentality. This along with the fact that I saw it in a less than impressive Real-D presentation and with a generally unreceptive crowd (that included no applause at the end. A first from a SW viewing experience.) I also sat thru the movie doing a lot of geek based nitpicking (I'm not proud of it) and I left feeling no different than when I entered. No smile on my face, no anticipation for the next one... nothing.

But I gave the film the benefit of the doubt. Despite lacking in originality and exposition, I really liked the new characters and the way they portrayed the old ones. I also missed the epic visual scope of the prequels (sue me). So last Friday, I went to see it again. This time it was just standard format, a bigger crowd and I was there with a good friend. On top of that, I got all the nits picked the first time and now I could give my inner critic a rest. This time, I found the movie MUCH more enjoyable and exciting (despite the fact I had to pee 20 minutes in and I refused to get up). I noticed a lot of things I didn't before. There was even audience applause at the end.

While I still don't think its better than the OT or Revenge of the Sith, I can now say I am pumped for future installments. Sometimes a second chance is all it takes. How about you? Did your perceptions change on a repeat viewing?

zisme, Davrum and Sarge like this.
  2. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    I went in unspoiled so I noticed more details the second viewing. I enjoyed it both times though.

But only a few things can keep me from enjoying a movie:

--most or all characters are utterly unlikeable

--the plot doesn't make sense, character interactions or behavior don't make sense. And I have heard regarding various movies that "it makes sense if you look beneath the surface." No thanks, I'll pass, I just want it to make sense, not "make sense if X."

Darth Smurf and MOC Vober Dand like this.
  3. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval Head Admin & TV Screaming Service star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Aug 19, 2003
    I knew everything that was going to happen and... thanks to moderating these forums... even saw a good percentage of clips while removing them from posts, thanks to earlier release dates in other countries... but I still liked it on first viewing. But, appreciated it infinitely more upon second viewing.

4. Krueger

Krueger Chosen One star 5

Aug 9, 2004
    A lot of people think that only in the second viewing can you truly watch a movie. Especially a movie like this. I think the first time you're so focused on soaking in all the new information you're suddenly being bombarded with. If I don’t like a film on my first viewing, it’s usually because I just don’t like it. However, if I like a film on my first viewing, a lot of time I come to love it more on the second viewing. Very rarely do I end up not liking a film on my second viewing that I liked the first time I watched it.

5. Sarge

Sarge Chosen One star 10

Oct 4, 1998
    For big movies like TFA or LotR that I've been eagerly anticipating for years, I can rarely appreciate them fully on the first viewing. My first viewing is often full of thoughts like, "No, that's not how it's supposed to go!" I have to watch it once and unlearn what I thought I had learned, and on the second viewing, knowing how it really goes, it's easier to set aside my preconceptions and appreciate the film for what it actually is, as opposed to what I thought it would be.

6. jaqen

jaqen Chosen One star 5

Jul 22, 2004
    I was lightly spoiled going in; the major moment at the end was something I assumed would happen long before spoilers ever dropped.

I saw it at the Ziegfeld Theater in NYC (RIP) and, as usual, it was the BEST crowd; applause throughout, from the introduction of returning characters, to big crowd moments, and huge rounds at the end.

Still it was very overwhelming. I don't go into SW films with a ton of preconceived notions, but seeing the film I'd wanted since middle school was still a huge undertaking. I left knowing I'd seen something amazing, but not at all sure about how I felt about it. I recall texting a friend, the only really huge SW fan in my real life, and told him that I feel like it's a movie that's going to play incredibly well with repeat viewings.

And I was right. The 2nd viewing was just incredible, even with a less enthused crowd. It's a solid, well made film in general, but just an incredible STAR WARS film. It's the most consistent SW film, just overall quality wise, since TESB. It hasn't replaced my personal favorite ROTJ, and it wasn't the redemption of SW for me since I think ROTS was really good, but it is a strong, very welcome addition to the SW pantheon.

JabbatheHumanBeing, Sarge and Krueger like this.
  7. Homergreg

Homergreg Jedi Knight star 3

Dec 31, 2015
    The first time through for me was a wild and fun ride. The second time, I noticed so much more. I thoroughly enjoyed it.

8. jaqen

jaqen Chosen One star 5

Jul 22, 2004

That's how I am. Most films I liked/loved out the gate, stay that way. I can't think of a film that on the second viewing fell apart.

But a rare few have fallen apart with repeat viewings, or revisiting after years away.

Most of AOTC has deteriorated for me in repeat viewings, when originally I enjoyed it; however the parts I loved back in 2002 I still love.

I was once a bit of a TPM apologist; knew it wasn't perfect, but I sung more merits than most I know. I rewatched it before seeing TFA and...that was a mistake.

9. Queen Apailana

Queen Apailana Jedi Master star 1

Mar 8, 2015
    One thing that really changed my second viewing was that I had listened to the soundtrack and knew a lot of the music going in. Knowing Rey's and Kylo's themes and hearing them in theater was awesome. When the Resistance pilots arrive on Takodana and the March of the Resistance starts playing was a moment I enjoyed all that much more the second time around.

10. Darth PJ

Darth PJ Force Ghost star 6

Jul 31, 2013
    I'd say that overall I had a better experience with the 2nd viewing, because I knew what I was getting, but it also worked to reinforce the films problems too.

JediLight likes this.
  11. Darkslayer

Darkslayer #2 Sabine Wren Fan star 7

Mar 26, 2013
    For me it got worse the second time. It lost the allure of "New Star Wars!" so the flaws appeared more glaring to me.

12. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    The first time I see a movie, I just see it to get the gist. I most likely know if I'm going to like to like it or not but need to see it again to make sure Ii remember everything or see something new.

13. VadersLaMent

VadersLaMent Chosen One star 10

Apr 3, 2002
    I enjoyed it both times but for whatever reason the 2nd time around it seemed smoother.

14. Palp_Faction

Palp_Faction Force Ghost star 4

Feb 3, 2002
    Yeah I preferred my 2nd viewing - and the 3rd was even better. I spent my first viewing trying to reconcile too many things to really enjoy it. BTW I must get to watch a movie in the USA, sounds like fun. I don't think I've ever encountered applause in a movie theatre before - it's just not British!

TheYodaPagoda likes this.
  15. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    The soundtrack improves the more times I listen to it.

JonoLFC, Satipo and Sarge like this.
  16. Sarge

Sarge Chosen One star 10

Oct 4, 1998
    ID4 was one movie I enjoyed the first time I saw it, but it has not stood the test of time at all. Second time, I noticed how much it borrowed from other movies, and now it's just a Frankenstein mishmash of segments of better movies. I doubt I'll see the sequel, if they really make it.

17. jedijax

jedijax Force Ghost star 6

May 2, 2013
    For me it was weird. I was completely in awe the first time. Knowing the spoilers ahead of time actually helped. I saw it a second time about a week later and loved it again but it didn't have the OOH COOL-ness to it. I was actually kind of bored at some parts but only because I had seen it so recently. That was December 19 and 27 that I saw it.

One thing that did happen is that while the second time didn't thrill me quite as much, I DID appreciate it a bit more the day after seeing a second time.

Now, I am very anxious to see it again. Dissecting what the scenes meant and the allure as well as being totally absorbed in the score now, I can't wait to see it on video when it comes out.

It was certainly best the first time, but the withdrawl since the second has created a desire to see it again.

18. IronMant

IronMant Jedi Knight star 1

Dec 28, 2015
    I was pretty pissed off about what I saw the first time, and seeing it a second time really reinforced that. Pretty much what Sarge just said about Independence Day.

19. SkyloRey

SkyloRey Jedi Knight

Jan 5, 2016
    Completely agree, the first two times I didn't really notice the music. But then I got the soundtrack and when I saw it a third time I was surprised how much Rey's theme is played and it really enhanced the viewing being able to differentiate the different themes played. So the third viewing has been my favorite.

Sarge likes this.
  20. Krueger

Krueger Chosen One star 5

Aug 9, 2004
    Ha, it’s been made, my friend. Coming out this year.

AmySolo likes this.
  21. DARTHVENGERDARTHSEAR

DARTHVENGERDARTHSEAR Force Ghost star 5

Jun 8, 2002
    Second viewings are always necessary because there is always something that you miss. When it comes to good movies it doesn't matter...but if it's a movie you're not sure you like, then it's that second viewing that'll tell you if you do or not.

Krueger and Force Smuggler like this.
  22. Millennium Falcon 888

Millennium Falcon 888 Jedi Master star 4

Jan 6, 2016
    TFA is one of the rare movies that I actually watched more than once in a cinema, and I definitely enjoyed it more during the second viewing... Especially when it comes to appreciating the brilliant soundtrack by John Williams, and which piece of music corresponds with which scene.

Too bad I am stuck at two viewings since TFA recently ended its run in Malaysia, which means I've got to wait until the DVD is released / the movie comes out in cable.

Sent from MillenniumFalcon AI using Tapatalk

23. Bobatron

Bobatron Jedi Master star 4

Sep 3, 2012
    The first time was really fun and special, but by the time I finished watching the movie the first time, I'd forgotten about Rey's AT-AT home and all the mystery of her family and waiting for someone. Maybe I was even distracted; I do remember for a short time being distracted by the guy next to me clicking and unclicking the fastener of his cap (people just absolutely must find every way to be annoying). There is just a lot to process, especially knowing it is continuing a story and part of a trilogy. I avoided and looked away from everything I could about the movie, and yes, that includes trailers and posters and pictures and toys. I'll be sure to avoid the stuff about the movie online after seeing Episode VIIIso I can enjoy the repeat viewings more and ponder stuff on my own without speculation and the wacky theories and wishes of others, like it use to be when I watched movies.

24. Davrum

Davrum Jedi Knight star 1

Apr 16, 2015
    First time I gave it around 7/10.
    Second time 8.5/10.
    Third time back to 7/10.

Should be seeing it a fourth time next weekend, so who knows?

25. Knights of Ben

Knights of Ben Jedi Padawan star 2

Jan 30, 2016

8.5 is probably my final score, although I would round that up to a 9 on a 1-10 poll (as opposed to dropping down to an 8). That said, my experience broadly conforms to yours although, over 5 viewings, I would grade it thus:

6/10

9/10

Settled at 8.5 hereafter although, as I said, I can't really decide if I should bump that up to a 9! ;) My first viewing was a total mess, and I only relaxed and watched TFA on its own terms the second go round.