main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Better the second time?

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by squir1y, Feb 7, 2016.

1. Mister Bones

Mister Bones Jedi Master star 3

Jan 27, 2016
    I would absolutely pay extra to see that.

Knights of Ben likes this.
  2. LadyPadme

LadyPadme Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 26, 2002
    I don't know if I liked it better the second time around as much as I just had less baggage going in the second time. All the expectations had already been met or shattered. Han's death was something I knew was coming so it wasn't nearly as devastating and because I knew the plot I could concentrate on areas where I'd gotten confused or missed things the first time around. It wasn't better, just more comfortable the second time.

JediChipKelly likes this.
  3. Sauntaero

Sauntaero Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 9, 2003
    I think a lot of my enjoyment of it the first time was anticipation. I'd had virtually no spoilers, and it was the first Star Wars movie in a decade!

The second time... I kinda wanted my money back. :p

So no, it was not better the second time for me.

4. Kyra_Rey-Kylo_Ren

Kyra_Rey-Kylo_Ren Jedi Padawan star 2

Oct 31, 2015

10% of TFA box office is just you.

AmySolo, Bowen and LadyPadme like this.
  5. JediChipKelly

JediChipKelly Jedi Knight star 2

Jan 3, 2016
    James Cameron sends the Terminator back to December 14, 2015 to take out Bowen, so Avatar would still be #1 Domestic Box Office King. Cue The Terminator music..... :p

AmySolo, Bowen, LadyPadme and 2 others like this.
  6. Bowen

Bowen Force Ghost star 5

Sep 6, 1999
    Hahahaha that's one of the funniest things I've read on here! I love it.

7. chris hayes

chris hayes Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 13, 2012
    Awesome the first time , awesomer the second time & total awesomeness the third time......

AmySolo likes this.
  8. Dave Hoffman

Dave Hoffman Jedi Knight star 1

Nov 24, 2012
    I went in 95% unspoiled, so I was happy about that. Due to the fast pace, my first viewing seemed like I was always mentally 10 minutes behind what was on the screen, subconsciously trying to process the hows and whys of what didn't make any sense to me. For my second viewing, everything slowed down since I knew what was going to happen, but it only reinforced all the problems I had with it, and added many more.

Overall, decent action movie. Below average SW movie. IMO, naturally.

9. Joanu Savan

Joanu Savan Jedi Youngling star 1

Feb 6, 2016
    The better was the third! :D
    Gonna try hold myself to go to the 4th time only next year, or if watching it with someone who makes me deviate from my Jedi path :)

10. Darth_Articulate

Darth_Articulate Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 1, 2012
    I've watched it 6 times now, and it got better with each time. The first time was actually in less than ideal circumstances, as I had gone to one of the theatrical marathons and their chairs were not the most comfortable marathon chairs. It still enjoyed the movie on that first viewing, but I wasn't the most awake I've ever been.

11. MOC Vober Dand

MOC Vober Dand Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 6, 2004
    I really enjoyed it on a surface level first time out. I got a real kick out of the way it 'felt' like Star Wars, liked the characters, good story, looked and sounded great. On second and subsequent viewings I started to take in more and more symbolically and thematically, which added depth to the experience.

Sarge likes this.
  12. ucdex

ucdex Jedi Knight star 3

Dec 20, 2015
    I'm on the same boat. 2nd time is much better.

I wasn't so much underwhelmed the first time but just not sure how to feel, it was all too much.
    The build up was sudden too as I was barely hyped six months prior with the trailer/teaser releases providing temporary peaks in interest.

My 2nd viewing I got into the story much more. The Kylo/Han scene wrecked me. The sabre fight was raw and emotional, Rey's journey resonated and William's score finally registered.

1st viewing I was talking it all in. I barely noticed the score, or felt I heard anything at all.

I have seen it 7 times in theatres. That's probably it until the re-relese.

13. JediKnightYJK

JediKnightYJK Jedi Knight star 2

Jan 17, 2016
    Nothing will beat my first viewing...

14. Chewbaccon

Chewbaccon Jedi Knight star 1

Mar 9, 2014
    I think 3 viewings allowed me to fully experience the emotion, the details and the overall "complete" movie. The 1st one was purely emotional and the second one allowed me to see the things I missed and fill in blanks. The third was more or less fun but also analytical, flaws and all. I would settle at an 8.5 with many "10" moments though. And I am not one to rate things high just because I kinda liked them. That is a very high score for me.

15. Darth__Syphilis

Darth__Syphilis Jedi Master star 1

Nov 26, 2010
    Bad the first time, worse the second. I've seen the first 6 movies more times than I can count, but I have no desire to watch TFA again.

16. CrackedKyberCrystal

CrackedKyberCrystal Jedi Knight star 1

Feb 9, 2016
    TFA is a perfect movie for multiple viewings imo. I loved it from the first viewing but my love for TFA increased significantly the 2nd and 3rd time. Have seen it now around 10 times and its still not boring b/c of the easter eggs.

AmySolo and Bowen like this.
  17. Bowen

Bowen Force Ghost star 5

Sep 6, 1999
    Yeah. I have no favorite SW film (still) unlike most fans; all 7 are a tie for the best movies for me. That being said I find TFA one of the most rewatchable because of incredibly fast pacing and excellent editing. They all are well edited of course for me but TFA just whizzes by so fast and I think it makes it really easy to watch again and again.

AmySolo likes this.
  18. Darphus_Mon

Darphus_Mon Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 23, 2003
    2nd time the film slowed waaaaaay down...in a good way. Since I wasn't so caught up in trying to take everything in, I was able to pay more attention to smaller details. Like reactions. Either these actors were expertly directed, or just uber talented, but the facial expressions and reactions are just amazing! Very telling. My faves: Finn when he's rescuing Poe - seems so scared and desperate, Han's expressions when talking about Luke (something's obviously not right between them or it's a poker face) and when Rey introduces herself (Han knows something he's not sharing), Luke's multiple reaction (1st to Rey herself and then to the lightsaber), and, most importantly, Rey and Kylo's faces when he 1st takes the helmet off (it seems clear there's history there - somehow they know each other).

And some of the things I had a problem with didn't glare as much 2nd time.

Sarge likes this.
  19. Lance Toris

Lance Toris Jedi Padawan star 1

Dec 22, 2015
    Was blown away after my first viewing (despite readily admitting the film has flaws and a few flat moments for me), but was so overwhelmed by what I liked, it washed those issues away with nary a thought.

Second viewing only enhanced my love for it. Really gave me a chance to soak in scene by scene and enjoy the performances, nuances and layers.

Ricardo Funes likes this.
  20. nightangel

nightangel Force Ghost star 6

Oct 31, 2014
    nope

Darth_Pevra likes this.
  21. ewoksimon

ewoksimon Chosen One star 5

Oct 26, 2009
    The second time helps the digestion since I knew the entire story. There are still some broad pacing and structural issues, but the unexpected directions it takes still make story sense as opposed to "gotcha" moments.

22. Darth_Pevra

Darth_Pevra Chosen One star 6

May 21, 2008
    TFA didn't age well for me (every viewing was less enjoyable than the last), so I have zero reasons to rewatch TLJ. I doubt all the nonsense will become more palatable a second time. Maybe being drunk would help...

Harbour likes this.
  23. Darth Smurf

Darth Smurf Small, but Lethal star 6

Dec 22, 2015
    So sad that this thread even exists

24. King Prana

King Prana Jedi Knight star 1

Feb 19, 2017
    Liked it first time. Loved it second time.

I think the obvious difference is the script. What were empty lines of dialogue first time around, all of a sudden took on new meaning.

Listen to Holdos line about what Leia said about the sun for example.

25. yanote

yanote Jedi Knight star 2

May 1, 2016
    IMO, it gets better with each time.