main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Between TPM and AOTC: Why did Queen Amidala not purchase Shmi's freedom?

Discussion in 'Prequel Trilogy' started by Vortigern99, Feb 20, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. darth-sinister

darth-sinister Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 28, 2001
    His losses were bad, but not in the extreme yet. They were only that way by the time he sold Shmi, which was five years later.

2. Go-Mer-Tonic

Go-Mer-Tonic Jedi Youngling star 6

Aug 22, 1999
    My assumptions -do- fit as long as they aren't accompanied by your assumptions, which I am not burdened with. :)

3. AL_Patterson

AL_Patterson Jedi Youngling star 2

Feb 18, 2007
    The force told her not to, of course.

4. DARTHCLANDESTINE

DARTHCLANDESTINE Jedi Youngling star 3

May 17, 2005
    She was the type who found that when something must be done urgently, she prefers to do it herself.

But where are you getting she SHOULD free Shmi? You just want that, but the Story doesn?t ask it. You make it sound like it was Shmi?s idea to help them, when it was Anakin. Shmi wants him to make good. It's as clear as day.

Come now. We all know the Hutts control Tattoine. Even Panaka knows :eek: :p. If they could have avoided landing there in the first place (but faulty hyperdrive, alas), they would have chosen to do so.

While,Padme accepts that Shmi manages, unlike Obi Wan who was attacked. AOTC is another time and different situation Obi Wan is in a place he doesn?t live in, the Republic in trouble, Padme a supporter of the Republic, etc etc. No contradiction.

Obi Wan was attacked. Shmi was safe, unless she wanted to escape (big mess there, too graphic) ;)

Where are you getting this? You don?t know that. But what we do know is that she wants her son succeed in life. That he was meant to do great things.

It has EVERYTHING to do with it. Padme?s position is to help her people and her planet as Queen at that time, then becomes Senator to represent her planet in the Senate, while being a Loyalist (supporter of the Republic).

5. Loco_for_Lucas

Loco_for_Lucas Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 15, 2002
    It's not a case of me "wanting" that, but it being consistent with the character as Lucas was plotting her to be. She was made into someone who took initiative, helping people when they needed it, even the disenfranchised who did not have a voice to speak with. The deleted scene from AOTC showed her with refugees she helped. Canon or not, it being a deleted scene, it shows where her character was going, to the extent of helping strangers, so it makes sense for her to go out of her way to help someone who helped HER in her hour of need, especially by allowing her only son to compete for the freedom of the Naboo. It makes Padme into an ingrate, to accept such a sacrifice and not think any more of it. And it's contradictory to the character, who goes out of her way to help people when she has the means.

She has the means to help Shmi, and there's cause. The way the character is being developed, the next logical step would be to help someone she KNOWS is in dire need of help. As a slave, Shmi was at the mercy of her owner's whim, and we see Padme's reaction to the thought of slavery existing still in the Galaxy, so for her to leave someone who helped her in the bonds of servitude as property, makes no sense at all. The only way it does is to bend over backwards, rationalize, and basically overlook details in the movies.

Padme knew Obi-wan's message was transmitted to the Council on Coruscant. She knew they would arrive. She knew what the Jedi were capable of. She knew Obi-wan is a Jedi and that he would accept his fate if inevitable. By the rationale you've provided, she should have sat back and let the Jedi handle it since it's not her place to interfere.

Shmi was at the mercy of Watto. Her owner could have sold her to an abusive sociopath who had the money. It just happens that Shmi got a lucky break and went off to the Lars, so Padme's lack of thought is excused, according to some. But Shmi was in constant danger as a slave. To say otherwise is to downplay the notion of slavery.

You're right. Shmi was safe, unless Watto sold her to some kind of sadomasochist, a Hutt, or made her into a baby-making machine, she'd be perfectly fine. Cause as we know, slavery is nothing more than carefree days. ;)

6. Loco_for_Lucas

Aug 15, 2002
    Well, they work as long as they aren't accompanied by the movies either, as they contradict what we see. ;)

7. Loco_for_Lucas

Aug 15, 2002
    That angst came from the ambiguity of Shmi's slavery.

As a slave, she can be traded, she can be sold, she can be taken as collateral as property. Without peace of mind, Anakin has no way of knowing WHAT happens to her, and it's something to have on the mind. He knows what slavery is like. What if Shmi was kidnapped? The bomb in her body would transmit her as an escapee and she'd be blown up. All those things, by the way he talks, have weighed heavily on Anakin.

Watto has principles?

He said only money works on him, and if a large enough sum is presented, any scumbag's principles can be bought. Besides, he WAS cleaned out. He said he lost everything, AND looked pretty bummed out, otherwise I doubt a dirtfarmer like Cliegg could afford a slave.

8. aPPmaSTer

aPPmaSTer Jedi Master star 3

Dec 23, 2004
    Are you suggesting that Padme was eavesdropping on Anakin's goodbye with his mother? Because that's the only way your assumptions would fit into the movies... but then that wouldn't go well with Padme's character, because if she was eavesdropping, she probably would've offered Anakin to free his mother for him as gratitude when the crisis was over. "We owe you everything Ani." Didn't she say that? That means points 1 and 3 on your list are incompatible.

I think your idea of what Tatooine is is a little extreme. "I listen to the pilots and the traders that come through here..." isn't that what Anakin said? That means people can come and go as they wish, but Republic officials are probably not very welcome. That's why if Padme were to send someone, they would pose as a trader who wants to buy a slave, and would have lots of money with them to convince Watto. That's the most reasonable scenario I can think of.

Are you saying that Padme only has compassion towards those who are under direct attack?

Well obviously they've accepted their slavery because if they were just a bunch of depressed slaves, they wouldn't be racing pods, playing with friends, enjoying nice family moments, etc. Other than that, I don't disagree that she wanted the best for her son, but this ultimately has nothing to do with the topic at hand.

Her official position is to help her people, yes, but this is personal.

9. DARTHCLANDESTINE

May 17, 2005

I feel you are going into the future and working backwards. Padme?s character develops as time goes. As far as TPM is concerned, Tattoine is not in the picture when its over. Anakin goes his separate ways to be a Jedi. Mommy dearest is not an issue.
    I?m not aware of deleted scenes, (I don?t watch those, only what?s IN the movies). Aren?t refugees who decided to get out? But in Shmi?s decides she will tough it out. So the example you talk about is Padme helping refugees, while Shmi is not a refugee.
    See: Shmi is not a refugee. As in ?not seeking refuge?. Been in Tattoine atleast for 6 years and managed.
    Meanwhile Anakin loved racing. Shmi is allowing her son to do what he liked doing (and only human who could do it) and what he wanted to do (helping people).
    There is no plight as you think there is.
    With the reasons I have already given, she?s not an ingrate. She?s a good listener and knows who really needs help.
    The slaves hovel was a pretty cozy - ?This a cozy? ? Jar Jar Binks. Shmi was NOT in dire need.

Padme is Senator and Loyalist. Trying to keep the Republic protected and also plans to use diplomacy to save the Republic. Btw, wonder why there are STILL slaves in Tattoine till end of Ep. VI ;)

She said clearly ?they have to come half a the way across the galaxy?. She knows it will be too late, unless they (Anakin and her) act now. Besides she?s not going alone.

10. DARTHLINK

DARTHLINK Force Ghost star 4

Feb 24, 2005
    The reason why Shmi had a cozy little hut and all was because Watto had a heart and felt like giving them a nice little hut to live in, but the danger remained that Watto might have sold her to a freak-a-zoid or to a Hutt.

Watto eventually freed Shmi, so, why did she not board a ship to get out of there?

11. Go-Mer-Tonic

Go-Mer-Tonic Jedi Youngling star 6

Aug 22, 1999
    Padme wouldn't have to eavesdrop on Anakin for me to assume she was also aware of his established intention to come back and free his mother.

This all makes perfect sense when you work -with- the movie.

I mean if your goal is to say Lucas is a crappy writer, congratulations.

You just can't convince me of that is all.

12. darth-sinister

darth-sinister Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 28, 2001
    And as we see, it doesn't matter if she is free or not, **** will still happen. She was free for five years before she was captured by the Tuskens. Shmi could've been living on Coruscant and accidently killed by a reckless land speeder driver. So even knowing she was free wouldn't stop him from bad things from happening. That's Anakin's weakness. He fears too much. He has not learned to control and banish his fears. Look at what happens with Padme. She was perfectly fine, but he still obsessed about the fear of loss.

You don't have to have principles to do something or don't do something on principle. By refusing on principle, he is making a statement to anyone who wants Shmi. They can kiss his ass. Sure, he might still be broke, but they will not get what they want.

That was five years later. A whole world of difference by then. And Cliegg Lars wasn't from Naboo. He wasn't some outlander trying to cheat him, as he claimed.

Because Tatooine was the only place she really knew. She didn't know Coruscant or Naboo. Also, she was in love with Cliegg Lars and chose to stay there.

13. DARTHCLANDESTINE

May 17, 2005
    And there you go. Watto had a heart. [face_batting]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.