main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Gaming "A box of K-Bups will completely restore your energy.": Beyond Good & Evil

Discussion in 'Community' started by The2ndQuest , Oct 1, 2010.

1. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    Figured I'd make this into it's own thread instead of keeping it in my backlog thread.

BG&E HD announced.

Screenshots

Just started playing the first game and it's very good. #2 is in the works (which is neat, as BG&E's story was supposedly concieved as a trilogy).

2. Boba_Fett_2001

Boba_Fett_2001 Chosen One star 8

Dec 11, 2000
    Such an awesome game. Everyone should play it.

3. SoloCommand

SoloCommand Manager Emeritus & GTA Coruscant Developer star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 15, 2001
    ...I own this game on the PC (and PS2), and have been playing it in HD for many years, so you'll excuse me for feeling a bit cheated. Though I'll probably get it again to check out the improvements that they've made.

I am also glad to read that BGE2 is out of supposed development hell.

4. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    It was a great game, atmospheric, involving and did stealth well, but I hope they remove the control reversal on the last boss which was dumb.

5. Valyn

Valyn Jedi Master star 8

Mar 2, 2002
    Never played it. Heard it was ridiculously underrated/under-played.

6. Boba_Fett_2001

Dec 11, 2000
    Well it didn't help that Ubisoft's other big action/adventure game, The Sands Of Time, was released around the same time.

7. jp-30

jp-30 Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 14, 2000
    The programmers of the sequel better understand how 'invert mouse' is supposed to work. [face_plain]

8. Vader_vs_Maul

Vader_vs_Maul Jedi Master star 3

Dec 4, 2003
    Sands of Time itself was also under-played and underrated at the time of its release, sadly.

9. SoloCommand

SoloCommand Manager Emeritus & GTA Coruscant Developer star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 15, 2001
    And arguably the best of all the modern Prince of Persia games, harking back to a time when Ubisoft had absolutely nailed purity of design - it's a shame they got a bit... carried away.

10. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    You're joking right? SOT was a big hit, had great reviews and several game of the year/(insert) choice awards.

The problem in relation to BG&E was they were unsure how to market it and pretty much all their marketing at the time went into POP instead.

11. Valyn

Valyn Jedi Master star 8

Mar 2, 2002
    I believe Yahtzee claimed that the Sands of Time was his favorite game of the last-gen. He doesn't seem to care much for the Forgotten Sands, though

EDIT:

I myself also loved the Two Thrones. I appreciated the return to the SoT atmosphere, music, and voices. Plus, the ending was beautifully done, imo.

12. Boba_Fett_2001

Dec 11, 2000
    That's pretty much what I was gonna say. I remember there being a lot of promotion for it.

13. Valyn

Valyn Jedi Master star 8

Mar 2, 2002
    PoP was huge, IIRC. I remember my coworkers and other friends talking about the commercials, etc.

14. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    If it had been that big a hit, we wouldn't have got the Emo-Prince sequel.

BG&E was great to play though.

15. Vader_vs_Maul

Vader_vs_Maul Jedi Master star 3

Dec 4, 2003
    This.

It was under-appreciated by the masses, i.e. it sold less than the amount Ubisoft thought was worth the effort, hence why they went with the trend of the "dark" anti-hero for the sequel, hoping it would boost sales. And regrettably they were right and it did sell more copies. Unfortunately sales numbers aren't always proportional with quality.

Me too. A commendable effort to bring it back to its starting point.

16. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Well, I think the "dark" anti-hero approach is something franchises will do regardless of success- POP/WW wouldn't be the first and it won't be the last. I think Warrior's increased success stems more from POP's success- everyone who eventually played it due to the awards and word of mouth chipped in when the sequel hit.

17. Reynar_Tedros

Reynar_Tedros Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jul 3, 2006
    I never played BG&E but always heard about how great it supposedly was. Now that I'll be able to play it in HD with a 360 controller, I'll probably bite when it's released.

18. Valyn

Valyn Jedi Master star 8

Mar 2, 2002
    I'll bite depending on much MS points this will cost. I've already spent a small fortune on the ME2 add-ons, and I'm tempted to try the Assassin's Creed 2 add-ons.

19. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Either way it'll probably end up being a pretty good value- apparently, up until recently, the game apparently had a very high resale value (particularly the GCN version). Thankfully I got mine, new, for $20 back when it was still on shelves.

20. Boba_Fett_2001

Dec 11, 2000
    I got it with Sands of Time for $9.99 from GOG. :cool:

21. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    I'm assuming the new HD version will have it's own built-in XBL/PSN rankings system, but how was the original Internet Code-based system? I tried entering one in at the site, and while you can still register for it, the actual code entering program doesn't seem to work anymore, alas.

22. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    The game has some interesting interface concepts- on one hand, the spiral code entering system is the best I've seen for a game, on the other the map could have been refined a bit more (why do I need to hold down a button to zoom?) and the item dispensing units need to have optional speaking capacity (as in "Oh, I forgot what a Starkos does, please refresh my memory") and not be annoyingly automatic ("A Starkos will restore-" click "A Starkos will re-" click "A Starkos-" CLICK "A Stark-" CLICK!).

The circular menu system works pretty well too, but, again, I wish you didn't have to always hold down a direction to access stuff on it- especially when applying items to other characters.

Hopefully they'll iron that out for the sequel.

23. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Well, here I am almost a year and one Zelda later and I believe I'm heading into the end game now. I've collected all but two of the pearls.

My earlier comments still stand, though: the menu system and code-entering system is great, as is the combat, but some of the interface (like the map and certain menu button mappings) are terrible.

It's a game with a lot of ideas, but a lot of them are not fully developed (for example, you get the impression the races were meant to be a more fully developed component of the game, with the different characters, times, etc; and the ship-based exploration only really provides 1 (non-moon) related element on Hillys).

The pearl quest briefly seems to artificially extend the endgame as well (when you need to get a combined 50 extra pearls to get the stabilizer and jet engine), though the large multi-pearl caches (like the volcano) help minimize this negative effect.

Initially I was kinda pissed that I had to go pearl hunting instead of being able to go to the moon relatively soon, however, the actual searching for the pearls led to some great mini-areas that I rather wish had been integrated more thoroughly with the main areas/goals (in particular are the fantastic "chase scenes" which REALLY should have been used much earlier in the game- I have no idea why they'd essentially wait until before the final "dungeon" to start implementing those).

As such, I ended up enjoying that quest despite my initial disappointment in having to do so.

The game's "test run" feel basically has me really hoping that BG&E2 does happen, because the concepts and mechanics in the game, if more fully expanded upon and better integrated, could be something really spectacular if applied properly.

24. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Now that I've completed the game... I must say the endgame portion feels more whole than the first 85% of the game. In fact, everything from when you get the ship onwards almost feels like a different game than what came before it (nor does Jade's magic powers/destiny coming out of left field doesn't help this). Very epic stuff going on and a very satisfying final boss battles.

Anyone who hasn't played it, it's a pretty good Zelda inspired-game (without being a Zelda clone like Starfox Adventures was), just more sci-fi than fantasy. The first 2/3rds of the game have their highs and lows, but if you hit a point where you're thinking about giving up, don't- that backthird is worth getting to.

Also, I came across a significant bug towards the end of the game (though I haven't tried to recreate it yet)- when you land on the final platform towards the end don't rush down the platform right away for the triple button platform, otherwise your companions won't materialize/disembark from the ship (even though they'll still talk initially) and you won't be able to proceed (worse yet, since it's an "action" sequence, you can't pause to reload the game, you have to restart the system; plus you can't go back onto the ship to try and disembark everyone again). Wait for them to come down first before you move on.

25. FlareStorm

FlareStorm Jedi Grand Master star 6

Nov 13, 2000
    I remember this game. I tried it because SoloCommand pretty much forced me to

I quit after a couple of levels. It was a bunch of furries, and you wielded a camera, and jetski racing. It was also when I stopped being friends with SoloCommand, cuz I ain't into that ****.