main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit Beyond the big two: lesser Force traditions in the GFFA

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Gamiel, Dec 12, 2013.

1. Darth Invictus

Darth Invictus Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 8, 2016
    So going on my previous point-why don't we see more scientists in the GFFA expressing an interest in how the force works, its origins, it's possible malleability among other things. Darth Plageuis gave us a glimpse of this but didn't go to much into detail.

Any In-Universe answers?

darklordoftech likes this.
  2. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    Possibilities:

It has already been done as far as scientific and ethically possible.

What says that the Jedi scientists don't study and discuss the Force from all possible angles, like: pure materialistic (what that now means in SW), theological, philosophical, psychological and etc. We just don't see it because that kind of stuff is not what the majority of people buying SW stuff is interested in.

Ghost likes this.
  3. Arawn_Fenn

Arawn_Fenn Chosen One star 7

Jul 2, 2004
    Yeah.

It's wrong.

4. Darth Invictus

Aug 8, 2016
    Well the details, the meat, not just what Lucasfilm says-after all the force is a river from which many can drink? Or do you believe Dennning's simplistic D&D version or Lucas's inconsistent and quite honestly waffling ideas? I'm a Vergere partisan myself.

Havoc123 likes this.
  5. Arawn_Fenn

Jul 2, 2004
    Lucas' ideas aren't really inconsistent, just widely misrepresented.

6. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    In the game Skymningshem: andra imperiet one of the magic/psychic groups divide their powers into four categories based on the four elements. Each category have their own focus on what it can do (a bit like WEG's old Control, Sense and Alter), maybe the Aing Tiis rainbow Force philosophy is a bit like that with each colour representing a certain groups of abilities. F.ex. Blue is all heat related Force abilities, like: keeping up your body heat, transferring heat from one place to another, pyrokinesis, etc.; Pink are all farseeing abilities, etc; Purple is all healing abilities, etc.

7. Darth Invictus

Aug 8, 2016
    I hope it was more mystical and awe inspiring than that honestly. I can just imagine-wow the Aing Tii are amazing.

8. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    the Aing Tii probably present it a bit more mystical, just like the jedi don't talk about Control, Sense and Alter.
    Do you have any theories of your own?

9. Darth Invictus

Aug 8, 2016
    They had a connection to the force that was different and perhaps deeper in some ways than the Jedi-they way they perceived the force was more multi faceted than the dualistic view of the Jedi/Sith.

10. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    How is that more "mystical and awe inspiring"?

And I have personally never felt that the Jedi's view of the Force is dualistic since that would mean, to my understanding, that they think the dark side is as strong as the rest of the Force.

11. Darth Invictus

Aug 8, 2016
    Perhaps I was mistaken the Jedi perceive a four sides view of the force-the light, dark, living and unifying. The Sith see the light and dark primarily but Plagueis, Palpatine and the ancient Sith in particular obviously knew and were concerned about the other two parts.

The Aing Tii are fascinating because their view is so exotic, so foreign-do they believe each "color" is a representation of morals, universal laws, mystical concepts, aspects of existence? We never find out and that's why I like them.

12. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    Any other reason beside that they are unknown and exotic by your standard?

13. Darth Invictus

Aug 8, 2016
    There views of the force of course, their reverence for "those who dwell beyond the veil" their anti slavery actions, their cool insecto-mammalian physiology.

Gamiel likes this.
  14. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    You could try to ask the people behind the Aing Tii if they had any deeper thought behind their Force philosophy or the whole "rainbow" stuff was just something they throw out to make them seems alien without any real idea what that meant.

JoinTheSchwarz likes this.
  15. Darth Invictus

Aug 8, 2016
    Perhaps your right and no real thought went into it-however it's still an interesting and creative idea and the writers/writer who came up with it deserves props for that alone.

16. Arawn_Fenn

Jul 2, 2004
    It's more of a three-part view. The living Force contains the light and dark sides. The "unifying Force" is pre-Disney EU nomenclature for something that stood in the same place as what Lucas and more recently The Clone Wars have called the Cosmic Force.

17. Ulicus

Ulicus Lapsed Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 24, 2005
    Yes.

The light side is the rabbit, the dark side is the duck and the negative space is the unifying/cosmic force.

[​IMG]

This is how Obi-Wan knew Luke was potentially an agent of evil when he asked "What's a duck?" in the ANH novelization.

vncredleader and Arawn_Fenn like this.
  18. Darth Invictus

Aug 8, 2016
    We're still discussing Legends material Arawn

19. Ulicus

Jul 24, 2005
    What he says still applies to the EU.

20. Darth Invictus

Aug 8, 2016
    I prefer the term Unifying force myself

21. Darth Invictus

Aug 8, 2016
    What about the Living force?

22. masterskywalker

masterskywalker Jedi Grand Master star 5

Nov 2, 2001
    Imwe from Rogue One is a follower of a force religion that holds the Jedi as sacred. He can use the force to some extent as well. I'm really curious to see where that concept goes. The Jedi never seemed particularly to care about sharing their beliefs with the galaxy. You didn't have people touring the Jedi Temple, having Jedi PR on worlds where they had a presence, etc. Obviously they had a positive impact on the galaxy, but their isolation was a major factor in Palpatine being able to sell the idea that they could be a pack of traitors.

The "Force for Muggles" for lack of a better word, has a lot of potential to add detail to the galaxy.

Barriss_Coffee likes this.
  23. Ulicus

Jul 24, 2005
    Rabbits and ducks are alive.

24. Havoc123

Havoc123 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 26, 2013
    Not... really.. The Cosmic Force has more to do with Force spirits and the ethereal Force energy that occasionally breaches through but isn't the regular Force Powers that Force Users throw around. It was the Living Force that was changed to not simply be a belief about living in the moment, but an actual metaphysical thing. I would've preferred if they used a new term rather than mess up the original idea behind the Living Force.

25. Arawn_Fenn

Jul 2, 2004
    It was always a metaphysical thing, not a "belief about living in the moment". It really just refers to the purely life-energy-based component of the energy field as described by OT Obi-Wan and Yoda. The Force is a thing as opposed to a belief ( and the same applies to its components ).

"The Force itself breaks into two sides: the living Force and a greater, cosmic Force. The living Force makes you sensitive to other living things, makes you intuitive, and allows you to read other people's minds, et cetera. But the greater Force has to do with destiny." - Lucas, quoted in The Making of Episode I

But the Force existed on more than one plane, and achieving mastery of its multiple passages was a lifetime's work. Or more. He knew his own weakness. He was too close to the life Force when he should have been more attentive to the unifying Force. - TPM novelization ( Brooks )

Gamiel and Iron_lord like this.