main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit Beyond the big two: lesser Force traditions in the GFFA

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Gamiel, Dec 12, 2013.

1. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    So, in the Doctor Aphra serie we are introduced to what could be a new Force tradition: Ordu Aspectu.

But since the information about them are presented more as legends then real facts, they may not really have been a Force tradition.

Some, more-or-less, cut pages from Doctor Aphra #2

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Now to ad to this are some things pointed out by dy1anrobinson in the 'Doctor Aphra (Marvel)' thread
    with some extra info by Jello

spicer likes this.
  2. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012

3. Ewok Poet

Ewok Poet Force Ghost star 6

Jul 31, 2014
    Can't wait to see how Aphra will deal with those. :eek:

4. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
  5. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    Regarding the Screaming Citadel: I'm a bit disappointed that the SC people looks just like pale/white-skinned humans, it would have been nice if they looked like some other species.

It will be interesting to see what powers they have and how those powers manifest

spicer and Barriss_Coffee like this.
  6. Barriss_Coffee

Barriss_Coffee Chosen One star 6

Jun 29, 2003
    I'm going to consider them all Arkanians until proven otherwise. I assume that will happen in the next five minutes, but I will enjoy it while it lasts. The experimenting stuff happening on the covers looks very Arkanian.

spicer likes this.
  7. spicer

spicer Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 14, 2012
    Agreed. We need more aliens that don't look like humans in more prominent roles, not just supporting characters or background extras like it usually is the case.

I'll take it.

8. BookExogorth

BookExogorth Force Ghost star 4

May 4, 2017
    Gamiel
    First of all, good thread idea.
    Second of all, have you explored the Luka Sene in this thread at all?

9. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    No, we have not explored them.

BookExogorth likes this.
  10. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    From FFGs latest sourcebook Collapse of the Republic:

[​IMG]
    with thanks to @ColeFardreamer

My comment to the text on the page:
    First section: do people think the text is using 'ichor' wrong or do they imply that a god or similar have died, or is captured and bleeding, on Dathomir?

Third section: How is that different from the Sith?

Forth Section: how do that help them "avoid falling into the passion and rage that plague the Sith"? Also, what we have seen of the NIghtsisters do they have just as large, if not bigger, rage and passion problem as the Sith.

Fifth section: FFG's Nightsisters seems to be fully based on the TCW incarnation and I have to admit that I have not seen all the Nightsister episodes but in the ones I have seen have I not seen this individualism mentioned here.

Seventh section: maybe I have misunderstood but to me one of the things that differ the Sith from other dark side groups is that they are capable of using their passion and rage as a fuel without it overtaking them (usually).

Mother_Talzin likes this.
  11. FS26

FS26 Jedi Knight star 2

Jul 8, 2018
    1st section: It's been called ichor for a bit, at least in reference books; I think it originated in the Book of sith. Since we know their magick is focussed on using force energies taken from living creatures, perhaps it does originate from a creature(s) with strong force abilities once worshipped as gods.

3rd section: Going by the way they were portrayed in TCW and Dark Disciple, the difference is that Nightsisters work to protect each other/the Clan as a whole, rather than themselves alone. Of course, this is more a general tendency and does not mean that all nightsisters would act that way. Mother Talzin for instance clearly was much closer to the Sith way of thinking than the nightsisters serving her.

4th&7th section: this seems to be in reference to Ventress' teaching of the Nightsister ways of using the Dark Side to Quinlan Vos in Dark Desciple. I think it's meant to signal a use of the Dark Side only if necessary, rather than a constant pursuit of ever greater power, like the Sith do. Nightsisters generally seem content to simply life amongst themselves on Dathomir, not trying to expand their power base or conquer others.

5th section: I think the individualism through different beliefs is supposed to be a way of incorporating the various versions of Nightsisters in Canon & Legends, and provide players with a bit of freedom to define they own specific brand of Nightsister character.

Gamiel, Iron_lord and ColeFardreamer like this.
  12. ColeFardreamer

ColeFardreamer Force Ghost star 5

Nov 24, 2013
    I replied @Gamiel in the Dathomir fanclub community topic ;)

But related to the Witches being somewhere between Light and Dark extremes, even when Nightsisters, I want to refresh our memories of other Force cults from Jacen and Luke&Ben's sojourn and how those fared over time. None as expaned as the Witches but especially the Jensaarai are what I would like to discuss as a cross of Jedi and Sith teachings yet different from Potentium, Vergere, Jacens views and other in between variations. In a way, I'd say the Jensaarai are closer to the later Imperial Knights of the Felpire.

13. Ghost

Ghost Chosen One star 8

Oct 13, 2003
    The Nightsisters are just another dark-side group, with the culture of Dathomir instead of Korriban, not a "third way." All the lesser groups are just in different places along the light-dark spectrum. The only one that came closest to being a "third way" is the Aing-Tii, but even that was only with minimal description, and in actuality it seems to just be different abilities and methods instead of truly being a third way.

Gamiel likes this.
  14. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    Did not know that. Still want to know if the books are using 'ichor' the wrong way or not.

That's a possibility.

If that's the implication they did a bad job in presenting it in my opinion.

I have actually been rather disappointed when it come to the world building and presentation of Force traditions in FFG's book I have read.

15. Sinrebirth

Sinrebirth Mod-Emperor of the EUC, Lit, RPF and SWC star 10 Staff Member Manager

Nov 15, 2004
    The Ordu Aspectu are the Order of the Terrible Glare so... yeah.

16. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    from Lit - MACLUNKY -- The Lit Forum Maclunky Thread, v3 | Jedi Council Forums (theforce.net)

17. ColeFardreamer

ColeFardreamer Force Ghost star 5

Nov 24, 2013
    So with all the Force survivor threads coming together post ST, will it all point toward Baatu?

We have Savi and his Lightsaber workshop, the Saja on the Halcyon Cruiser teaching saber training and sensing Forcesensitivity and guiding them towards potential teachers. Force Collector Guy and others like Broomboy just waiting to be picked up and brought together. Finn even with emerging/awakening Force in him.

What is Baatu's future?

With the Unknown Regions now open for explor.. ahem exploitation most likely, Baatu is one of few major hop off points into them and will become a tradehub with increasing traffic for explorers, trade and else. Its tourism is already booming apparently and despite locals frown the planet will need a lot of new infrastructure to carry that evolution and expansion, be it on world or if locals refuse, then in space with a station or service yard, maybe a planetary station-ring even.

Force-wise a lot of people flock by chance or the Force to Baatu and meet up. Will it become a new training ground with a proper Academy ala Rey and Finn or do they rather choose elsewhere?

Baatu will be what once Jedha was, the next Force Mekka and meeting point / Gateway to the soon to be known Unknown Regions?

Jakku might also see some increase in traffic but due to the planets own mess probably less than Baatu and merely spacetraffic.

So anyway, will amongst all Force Influencers that arrive or travel towards Baatu evolve a new Jedi Order and Academy... or rather a new Force Cult local to Baatu or a new diverse Force Mekka ala Jedha? And what would you prefer?

CernStormrunner likes this.