main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Awards *Beyond* the Saga Forum EXCERPTS... Peruse at will.

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction and Writing Resource' started by Beyond_Awards_Sock, Dec 19, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Beyond_Awards_Sock

Beyond_Awards_Sock Jedi Youngling star 1

Nov 18, 2004
    Alright. Here they are.

Do not post in the excerpt thread. If you have a question, comment, etc, put it in the BytS Nominations thread. Thanks!

Authors- Read over yours. They are in order of the Qualifying List, which will be at the bottom of this post for a reminder. If there are any mistakes, let me know ASAP so I can get them fixed pronto! Please remember that I am a one-woman army and that I am not perfect, but that I am on a shortened fuse so please please correct me kindly.

Readers- Please keep in mind that I am not perfect and there may be a mistake or two on my part. If you wonder "what the heck is that?" in an excerpt, go to the link to that story and check it out. Hopefully everything will be right, but I can't guarantee it. If you want to know the order of things, check the Qualifying List at the bottom of this post.

Voting begins Dec. 20th and will end Jan. 15th at midnight boards time (pst). Do not forget. There will be a 30 minute window for late votes on the 15th of January, but that's it.

Happy Holidays everyone!

Qualifying Nominations List
    Genre:
    Readers' Choice Alternate Universe:

-- Always a bridesmaid by DarthIshtar
    -- Beacon of Hope by flowerbee
    -- Love Thy Enemy by ThePariah
    -- A Phoenix From the Ashes by Lady Padme
    -- Fallen from Grace by JediPrincessSolo
    -- A Darkened Day BY Agent_Jaid
    -- The Sith Insurrection by JDH3
    -- The Living Force by YodaKenobi
    -- The Scarlet Illyini by padawanlunetta
    -- Betrayals by Jags_Scoundrel
    -- Dark Sword by Jaina_Solo_15
    -- When the Tide Comes by DantanaSkywalker
    -- Once a Warrior by Thrawn_McEwok
    -- Among the Stars by Vongchild
    Readers' Choice Canon:
    -- Many Happy Returns by Tahi
    -- The Courtship of Jagged Fel by Tkeira_lea and Darth_Lex
    -- Peace by Jedi_Jaina_Durron
    -- On the Shoulders of Giants by Arin_Atona
    -- The Man in the Mirror by AnakinsHeir
    -- Dark Paths by Thrawn_McEwok
    -- Emperor's Shadow by RedGold
    -- The Widow Skywalker by Meredith Brownen Mallory
    Readers' Choice Action:
    -- Under My Skin by DarthIshtar
    -- Why Love Was Forbidden in the Old Jedi Order by Melyanna and padawanlunetta
    -- Ben Skywalker: Secret Agent for the GFFA by ZaraValinor
    -- Legacy by TKeira_Lea
    -- X-Wing: Entrapment by Myri_Antilles
    -- Three Sailor Senshi by RK_Striker_JK_5
    -- Among the Stars by Vongchild
    Readers' Choice Drama:
    -- The Widow Skywalker by Meredith B Mallory
    -- Dark Sword by Jaina_Solo_15
    -- Battle at Hand by JAGS_GURL
    -- I Have Passed by the Watchman by obaona
    -- Fallen from Grace by JediPrincessSolo
    -- Dark Paths by Thrawn_McEwok
    -- Miracle by Saber Blade
    -- From the Ground Up by Jade_Max
    -- Queen's Gamble by Tych_sel
    -- That Time Cannot Erase by flowerbee and VadersMistress
    Readers' Choice Romance:
    -- Courtship of Jagged Fel by Tkeira_Lea and Darth_Lex
    -- A Smile Like That by Jedi Trace
    -- You Take Romance by DarthIshtar
    -- Halfway to the Heavens, by -Tenel-Ka-
    -- Crossing Jaridia by Amidala_Skywalker
    -- From the Ground Up by Jade_Max
    -- Second Chance by Jags_Scoundrel
    -- Quiet by SaberBlade
    -- What?s a Girl to Do! by RoseSkywalker
    -- Under My Skin by DarthIshtar
    -- Complications by Thrawn_McEwok
    Readers' Choice Angst:
    -- Love Thy Enemy by ThePariah
    -- Legacy by TKeiraLea
    -- Broken Circle by GreatOne
    -- Words Miscommunicate by Agent_Jaid
    -- Whiskey Lullaby by CodeName_Targeter
    -- Everyone Drinks in Hell by vader_incarnate
    -- Avigayil by Elena
    -- Halfway to the Heavens by -Tenel-Ka-
    -- Just Dreaming by obaona
    Readers' Choice Crossover:
    -- Tau....in Star Wars? By Nomad-2
    -- Three Sailor Senshi by RK_Striker_JK_5
    Readers' Choice Songfic:
    -- Shi

2. Beyond_Awards_Sock

Nov 18, 2004
    Readers' Choice : Alternate Universe

Nominees:
    Always a Bridesmaid by DarthIshtar
    Beacon of Hope by flowerbee
    Love Thy Enemy by ThePariah
    A Phoenix from the Ashes by LadyPadme
    Fallen from Grace by JediPrincessSolo
    A Darkened Day by Agent_Jaid
    The Sith Insurrection by JDH3
    The Living Force by YodaKenobi
    The Scarlet Illyini by padawan lunetta
    Betrayals by Jags_Scoundrel
    Dark Sword by Jaina_Solo_15
    When the Tide Comes by DantanaSkywalker
    Once a Warrior by Thrawn_McEwok
    Among the Stars by Vongchild

3. Beyond_Awards_Sock

Nov 18, 2004
    Excerpts:

[color=#c60][b]Always a Bridesmaid[/b][/color]
    by: [color=#606][b]DarthIshtar[/b][/color]
    [link=http://boards.theforce.net/message.asp?topic=17373352][color=#606]http://boards.theforce.net/message.asp?topic=17373352[/color][/link]

Within the hour, Organa had been shown to her "accomodations" under close guard and courtesy of Fett.

Within another fifteen minutes, someone had noticed that the carbonite slab was changing slightly. It was not enough so Solo would be released, but the inner layers were melting and, according to the Palace medic, if he was not released immediately, he would be dead by carbonite asphyxiation by the time the band's next number was over. Immediately, guards were summoned and Bib Fortuna did the honors, releasing him into the custody of the medic.

She was clumsy that day, allowing herself to get in the way of a minor brawl so that she ended up in the medic's care with a wound in her shoulder.

The sedative that she was given was quickly dispelled with the Force so that she could feign sleep, but stay perfectly awake. Solo was exhausted enough that he didn't need a sedative, but in the middle of the night, with the medic asleep and the guards slacking in their duties, he awoke abruptly, lungs sucking in air as his back arched. Immediately, her hand clamped over his mouth to muffle the shriek of distressed agony that came once his mind registered that he was awake again.

"Leia," was his first word.

"She's here," Mara promised, "but she could not save you, so I intervened."

"All right?" he gasped out.

"Imprisoned," she said bluntly. "I'm working on that and undoubtedly Skywalker will be helping a bit as well."

There was a long pause as he quieted his breathing and assimilated that information.

"Who are you?"

"No one important," she said impatiently. "All you need to know is that I have an escape plan that doesn't involve garbage chutes or asteroid fields."

His mouth took a chance on a smile. "Best thing I've heard all day."

She couldn't remember how she found the place, could only remember her mind latching onto the strong presence of the last Skywalker and refusing to deviate. She had let the Force guide her hands until they arrived at a cliffside dwelling that she might have believed deserted if there hadn't been a low light burning and an enemy inside.

Or at least, that was what her mind and her instructions claimed he was.

Telling her heart that after five minutes in there was a more difficult task.

Her mind cried out "weakling" and "fool" at his sentimentality, the fierce loyalty and intense gratitude that he expressed in word and deed once she declared that she was a friend bringing news and an old acquaintance.

It was no wonder that the Emperor hated him so desperately, since he was everything that the Emperor thought pathetic and detrimental. It was the kind of goodness that he had thought eradicated effectively with the Jedi and that was a threat to him because it could turn an apprentice back.

It was why the Emperor had commanded his death, but it was also why she found herself suddenly unable to complete her mission.

Once Solo was settled and sleeping once more, Luke joined her outside. For a long moment, he couldn't bring himself to speak, so he finally pushed a mug of something hot and vaguely foul-smelling into her hands.

"A toast to our unexpected hero," he proposed.

"Don't expect me to be a hero," she sighed, testing it on her tongue. "You'll be disappointed every time."

"You seem to be turning your back on the thing that has enslaved Palpatine and Vader," he countered quietly. "That's more heroism than I've ever been capable of."

How the stars did he guess that?

She looked away, suddenly uncomfortable. "What makes you think I'm turning?"

"I'm alive and so is he," he said simply. "Let's leave it at gratitude for the moment, if it makes you feel more comfortable."

[hr]
    [color=#c60][b]Beacon of Hope[/b][/color]
    by: [color=#606][b]fl

4. Beyond_Awards_Sock

Nov 18, 2004
    Readers' Choice : Canon

Nominees:
    Many Happy Returns by Tahi
    The Courtship of Jagged Fel by TKeira_Lea & Darth_Lex
    Peace by Jedi_Jaina_Durron
    On The Shoulders of Giants by Arin_Atona
    The Man in the Mirror by AnakinsHeir
    Dark Paths by Thrawn_McEwok
    Emperor's Shadow by RedGold
    The Widow Skywalker by Meredith Brownen Mallory

5. Beyond_Awards_Sock

Nov 18, 2004
    Excerpts:

[color=#c60][b]Many Happy Returns[/b][/color]
    by: [color=#606][b]Tahi[/b][/color]
    [link=http://boards.theforce.net/message.asp?topic=11018706][color=#606]http://boards.theforce.net/message.asp?topic=11018706[/color][/link]

Tag spun round at the sound of Lando's voice so quickly, he staggered into one of the sick looking survivors of the debacle in the loading bay who promptly fell over groaning. Angrily he hauled the man back to his feet only to end up staring dumbfounded as his former prisoner stepped out silently from the shadows at the entrance to the tower stairwell, followed by a steadily increasing line of grim-faced men and women.

[i]Like thunderclouds, brewing, threatening . . . No! No! Not a threat! Not a . . . not going to ruin my plans. Not now. Waited so long for this . . . waited to avenge her.[/i] With a huge effort of will, Tag steadied his racing pulse and shaking hands. [i]Not thunderclouds . . . just idiots and scumbags. Stupid nerfs to the slaughter. Keep coming, fools - it's all the more grist for the mill.[/i]

Slash let loose a derisive snort. "Well well! If it ain't the rest of the Black Nighties," he drawled. "Better wait a few minutes, Ding-Dong. Give 'em a chance to dry their nail varnish."

"Can it, Slash!" growled Rongo, while one of the duo of heads gurgled with manic appreciation at his boss's humour.

"Nah. I'm gonna enjoy this - been looking forward to it for ages. Now you're gonna see how kriffin' useless all those work schemes you've been babying your people with has been. When the chips are down, there's only one thing that counts." And he twirled the two old DeathHammers he'd been brandishing, grinning hungrily.

"Yeah," endorsed the articulate member of the twins, obviously enjoying Slash's act of showmanship.

"Watch you don't blast your feet off, crap for brains," rumbled Doc, and Anakin could see the big man's steely gaze logging the various positions of his antagonists, gauging distances, predicting, extrapolating. His primary target now rendered at least temporarily unobtainable, Doc simply shifted vectors. Anakin was suddenly filled with respect for the swooper, and it struck him again how loyalty and strength of will were virtues that bore no relation to birthright.

"This bickering is pointless," interrupted Tag glaring at the Rancor leader. "I didn't pay you to stand there stroking yourself."

"It must suck having to pay to get back up," said Anakin sneakily.

"Especially when you see what's on offer," added Lando in a silky voice. "Is this the top of the range, Tag, or did you go for the economy package?"

"Why you -" Slash began lunging towards Lando when he suddenly remembered that Tag and his men lay in his path. "I'm gonna enjoy rearranging your face, pretty boy," he snarled.

"Oh, oh how intimidating - I'm sure he's shaking in his boots, Slash," said Blue with theatrical sarcasm.

"Laugh all you like," shouted Tag. "I was going to offer you swoopers the chance for an honourable withdrawal - seeing how you appear to have been sucked in by these two Jedi and their friends pretending to be the saviours of the galaxy. But you've just blown that possibility sky high. Obviously it's true what they say about there being no honour among thieves and low-life scum."

"Yeah," agreed Anakin with mock earnestness. "And of course the Vong would never do anything dishonourable like wiping out planets or sacrificing millions of defenceless people to their gods. Or like pretending to be something they're not. I mean, I'm sure the fact that these Peace Brigade guys look and act surprisingly like Vong in disguise is just a by-product of my Jedi paranoia." His ice blue eyes caught Tahiri's - a non-verbal signal that she acknowledged with an imperceptible nod.

Tag's lips had begun to contort into an ugly sneer when suddenly the sight of Delone's face apparently dissolving caused them to fall slack. For one insane moment he thought one of the swoopers had squirted the Brigader with acid, but then the reality hit him like a bla

6. Beyond_Awards_Sock

Nov 18, 2004
    Readers' Choice : Action

Nominees:
    Under My Skin by DarthIshtar
    Why Love Was Forbidden in the Old Jedi Order by padawan lunetta and Melyanna
    Ben Skywalker: Secret Agent for the GFFA by ZaraValinor
    Legacy by TKeira_Lea
    X-Wing: Entrapment by Myri_Antilles
    Three New Sailor Senshi by RK_Striker_JK_5
    On the Shoulders of Giants by Arin_Atona
    Among the Stars by Vongchild

7. Beyond_Awards_Sock

Nov 18, 2004
    Excerpts:

[color=#c60][b]Under My Skin[/b][/color]
    by: [color=#606][b]DarthIshtar[/b][/color]
    [link=http://boards.theforce.net/message.asp?topic=16483603][color=#606]http://boards.theforce.net/message.asp?topic=16483603[/color][/link]

"Don't worry about Arun," Jag suggested. "I worked with him once before and he's a good friend of Darklighter's. We can trust him."

"That's what they always say about the traitors," she reminded. "They're the best-connected and the trustworthy ones. You never suspect them because you've got your eye on the suspicious-looking character in the corner when they stab you in the back."

He chuckled lightly. "If I didn't know better, Jaina," he teased, "I'd say you were turning into a skeptic."

She was annoyed that he so casually brushed aside her fears, more annoyed that he found them amusing, but the shuttle was taking a steep ascent, much too steep for them to be heading towards anything but the vacuum of space.

"See?" he said.

"I don't like it," she persisted.

"Well, what would you like? Dinner theater?"

She chose wisely to keep her mouth shut, was too weary after over a week of half-conscious terror to argue any further. Instead, she concentrated on drawing more strength, working some blood into her tingling extremities.

"How's the paralysis?" she inquired.

"Nearly gone," he assured her. "They probably figured you and your Jedi tricks were too dangerous, so they gave you a higher dosage."

"If you're so active," Jag interrupted her, "why don't you go help get us out of here?"

"I'm not sure I want him to know I'm not completely helpless yet," she countered.

"That paranoia again," he sighed.

"I'm just ready for anything."

The shuttle was leveling off, the engines damped as though in the process of going to standby. She sucked in a terrified breath, ears straining.

"I think he's got us in a geosynchronous orbit," she voiced her opinion.

"Maybe he..."

He trailed off, head shaking. "He could be making a systems check, since there doesn't seem to be pursuit," he suggested.

"Or I could be right," she bit back.

In a moment, Arun had emerged from the cockpit, the reassuring smile of the night before entirely erased by a clear determination.

The only thing clearer was the blaster in his hand and the knife on his belt.

Blast it, Fel, I told you so.

"The Alliance wanted you out of there, my people wanted you dead. No one said both couldn't be accomplished."

"Scum," Jaina spat. "I knew it was too convenient."

"How tragic," he lamented, turning the blaster on her. "They suspected that you were being helped, so they chose to kill you, since you should have been dead long before now. I managed to fight my way off-planet to heroically bring your bodies home to your families."

"There's not even honor in you," Jag growled, "much less heroism."

"Well," Arun snorted as he turned once more, "there's no need for anyone to know that, is there?"

He pressed the blaster to Jag's head, then squeezed off a shot.

But nothing happened.

It would take him mere moments to check the power pack, to discover that somehow, the wiring had been removed, but mere moments were all she needed.

She lunged forward, not bothering to get her feet under her before she tackled him to the ground. A guilty pleasure ran through her as his skull cracked against the edge of the repulsorstretcher, but she couldn't pause to care about that.

Her fist connected solidly with his jaw as her knee pinned his blaster hand. His other hand reached up to backhand her, but she leaned to the side, missing the blow by centimeters...

And leaving his free hand clear.

She didn't realize her mistake until Jag's startled cry and the searing pain in her side as the blade sliced quickly between her ribs, then retracted to strike again at the surgical incision. Her hand, trembling almost too violently to find a grip on the handle, wrenched the blade free of his grasp and the flesh of her abdomen with a crushing agony, but she still had enough pre

8. Beyond_Awards_Sock

Nov 18, 2004
    Readers' Choice : Drama

Nominees:
    The Widow Skywalker by Meredith B Mallory
    Dark Sword by Jaina_Solo_15
    Battle at Hand by JAGS_GURL
    I Have Passed By the Watchman by obaona
    Fallen from Grace by JediPrincessSolo
    On the Shoulders of Giants by Arin_Atona
    Dark Paths by Thrawn_McEwok
    Miracle by Saber Blade
    From the Ground Up by Jade_Max
    Queen's Gamble by Tych_sel
    That Time Cannot Erase by VadersMistress and flowerbee

9. Beyond_Awards_Sock

Nov 18, 2004
    Excerpts:

[color=#c60][b]The Widow Skywalker[/b][/color]
    by: [color=#606][b]Meredith Bronwen Mallory[/b][/color]
    [link=http://boards.theforce.net/message.asp?topic=7832860][color=#606]http://boards.theforce.net/message.asp?topic=7832860[/color][/link]

This is the dream she has.

She can have it when she's walking, when she's eating, or as she's sewing-- but she rarely ever has it went she's asleep.

She did, just once, and that was enough. Maybe it was supposed to warn her, but... but even after all this time, she didn't believe in Vader.

[I]"Padme... what's wrong?"

Rustling then, in the night-lit darkness. A warm body, all curves and smooth movement, withdrew towards the other side of the bed.

"I had a bad dream, that's all. I'm sorry I woke you."

"A nightmare?"

"Yes."

The way she said it told him it was more than that. Silence, then. He almost thought she was asleep.

"I dreamt you were my enemy. You drew your lightsaber against me." Her voice was careful, wondering, as if she was speaking of someone else.

As if it had no effect on her.

"That could never happen, you know that." He hadn't meant to say it so roughly, but he needed the words. Saying it made it true.

"There was a red light everywhere-" Laying still in the darkness, he held his breath. "- and blood, all dried but running down the walls."

"It was a bad dream, Padme."

It didn't sound condescending, but he almost wished it had. Instead it was a plea. She must not have heard him, or if she did it was from a long way off and she couldn't believe him through the dream.

"There was something... something over your eyes."

Her breath caught on the memory. Now it was real for her, "I couldn't see your eyes."

"I would never hurt you, Padme."

"I know." But it sounded like she didn't.

"Padme, I love you." It had never been harder to say it, it would never be any harder to say it.

"I believe you."

A pause- a guilty one. The spot where she'd been laying beside him had cooled completely.

"I love you too, Ani." He'd never doubted that, it had always been understood.

He said, "It was just a nightmare."

They laid there, together but not touching, in the darkness for a long while.

"Was it?" [/I]

She has that dream, and he has this dream, and when he wakes up the first question he asks is '*when* am I?', not 'where am I?'.

[I]Red crosses blue. Lightsabers, in the dark, in the chill wind of Bespin and he is hurting.

(Damn it, what did you do to Leia to Han to Chewie to everyone I care for..)

Cross, block, parry. He jumps to avoid the red blade, which is cold instead of hot.

"Impressive... most impressive."

The shadows are deep and thick, illuminated only by the glow of lightsabers.

But he still sees her, the woman throwing herself desperately against the phantom cage. She is beautiful and kind and he does not know how he knows this. She is screaming 'no' without making a sound.

A brief image from the enemy:

"That could never happen, you know that."

"I love you."

"It was just a nightmare."

The frightening thing is, Vader knows she's there too. [/I]

Sometimes, he wakes, and Beru's soft, weathered hand is against his face. She holds up her free hand, spreads it wide. She says she has caught his bad dream, and that she will keep it for him until he gets older.

Other times, he wakes, and Han's voice calls from the lower bunk, saying boy are you loud, kid, and maybe you should have a strong drink before you go to bed.

Or Leia, who's voice is soft and quiet. During the war, she says there's no use having nightmares when you're going to wake up to one. Such a nice person shouldn't have bad dreams.

Or else he's alone, and the lights of Coruscant are coming through the window. Artoo's low hum is what gets him back to sleep.

[hr]
    [color=#c60][b]Dark Sword[/b][/color]
    by: [color=#606][b]Jaina_Solo_15[/b][/color]
    [link=http://boards.theforce.net/message.asp?topic=16650010][color=#606]http://board

10. Beyond_Awards_Sock

Nov 18, 2004
    Readers' Choice : Romance

Nominees:
    The Courtship of Jagged Fel by TKeira_Lea & Darth_Lex
    A Smile Like That by Jedi Trace
    You Take Romance by DarthIshtar
    Halfway to the Heavens by -Tenel-Ka-
    Crossing Jaridia by Amidala_Skywalker
    From the Ground Up by Jade_Max
    Second Chance by Jags_Scoundrel
    Quiet by SaberBlade
    What?s a Girl to do! by Rose Skywalker
    Under My Skin by DarthIshtar
    Complications by Thrawn_McEwok

11. Beyond_Awards_Sock

Nov 18, 2004
    Excerpts:

[color=#c60][b]The Courtship of Jagged Fel[/b][/color]
    by: [color=#606][b]TKeira_Lea & Darth_Lex[/b][/color]
    [link=http://boards.theforce.net/message.asp?topic=16833628][color=#606]http://boards.theforce.net/message.asp?topic=16833628[/color][/link]

With great care, Jaina stretched up her hand and placed her fingers on the tip of the ragged wound. Time and experience with minor injuries made it easy to visualize and then clamp off the miniscule blood vessels at the lips of the cut. The bleeding ceased almost instantly, and she smiled as the rivulet of blood slowed. Studying the injury with her eyes and her extrasensory perceptions, she realized Jag had indeed taken a considerable blow. She also could sense that his thoughts were muddled and indiscernible, and there was the distinct heavy weight of inundation. Jaina imagined such a state could only come from Jag being weakened from the injury. It was just so... unlike him.

"Has the bleeding stopped?" he asked.

Looking up into his green pools of eyes, Jaina's voice caught for a moment. He was so utterly irresistible in this beleaguered state. She wanted - no, needed - to take him in her arms and hold onto him forever. Instead she just nodded.

"Thank you," Jag croaked, then moved to draw away.

"No, wait." Jaina didn't want him to leave; she could do more.

Jag stilled and waited as she had asked. Leaving her fingertips on the damaged skin of his forehead, Jaina flattened her hand so her palm cupped his cheek. Her free hand went to his chest, over his heart. In this position she felt more connected, and the Force was simpler to channel. Jacen might have been able to mend Jag from afar, just by visualizing the energy flowing through him. But positioned as she was, Jaina could feel the healing energy pour into Jag, through his skin, down his body and into his center, into his heart. Beneath her hand it beat loud and true.

Staring into his eyes, Jaina felt the beating strengthen and swell. Drawing her in. Closer. To the warm fire burning in his eyes. So full of love. So captivating. She could fall in...

And then her lips pressed to Jag's. Her fingers curled into his shirt. The pounding of his heart now combined into one thunderous storm with hers. There was nothing hesitant or cautious from either of them. Their tongues plunged desperately, diving and dancing. His hands stroked her cheeks. Lips crushed together with bruising strength.

He tasted so good. It felt wonderful to be in his embrace again. Connected as one. Giving completely of herself. Giving him strength when he needed it most.

When he needed it most! Blaster bolts! This wasn't what he needed -

Jaina used every ounce of willpower to tear her body from his. He yelped wordlessly in protest and gaped at her. Her fingertips that had never once abandoned their duty to his wound during the kiss now shot away and curled into her palm.

"Sorry," she said. "Old habits die hard."

He searched her eyes. "Die hard?"

What could she possibly say? That she could become so utterly consumed by the amazing connection between them that she lost all control. That she could still be so totally enthralled by the simple act of kissing him to the point that she forgot where they were and what they were supposed to be doing. He was an Ambassador now; she was a Jedi Knight. They were on a diplomatic mission, guests in an open corridor of a planetary leader's palace. Embarrassed by her complete lack of discretion, Jaina cast her eyes down. "Yeah, I guess I'll have to remember we're not love-struck fools on Borleias anymore." She met his gaze. "We're grown up now, Jag. Things have to be different - "

In one swift move, Jag captured her hands in his own and swept down to claim her lips. Apparently his mind was on the mend, and his thoughts clearly organized, because he had managed to catch her by surprise. She gasped or tried to protest or something, but there was his tongue, doing that thing. She was rendered speechless and thoughtless besides. No control, only his arms

12. Beyond_Awards_Sock

Nov 18, 2004
    Readers' Choice : Angst

Nominees:
    Love Thy Enemy by ThePariah
    Legacy by TKeira_Lea
    Broken Circle by GreatOne
    Words Miscommunicate by Agent_Jaid
    Whiskey Lullaby by CodeName_Targeter
    Everyone Drinks in Hell by vader_incarnate
    Avigayil by Elena
    Halfway to the Heavens by -Tenel-Ka-
    Just Dreaming by obaona

13. Beyond_Awards_Sock

Nov 18, 2004
    Excerpts:

[color=#c60][b]Love Thy Enemy[/b][/color]
    by: [color=#606][b]ThePariah[/b][/color]
    [link=http://boards.theforce.net/message.asp?topic=14841916][color=#606]http://boards.theforce.net/message.asp?topic=14841916[/color][/link]

"Indeed, and forever shall we be with you," Yoda answered. "If wish to repay us you do, only stay true to the path of the light. There will you best serve us with your virtue."

Luke came forward on his knees before his master. "I promise. I'll always hold what you've taught me in my heart, to the end of my life."

Yoda's posture shifted slightly, a veil of poignant resignation falling over him as he leaned back in appraisal. He cast his gaze over to the closed hatchway before returning his attention. "A long and perilous journey have you now. Choose wisely you must, for never may you return down the path you take. Strong you must be, for many evils will you find.

"Have a great task before you now, do you. But much have you endured and overcome, Luke Skywalker. Passed the greatest trial of your life, and of the Jedi, you have. And so, give you my faith and honor, do I."

Yoda held out a tiny clawed hand, and Luke knowingly bowed his head. "A Jedi Knight you now are."

By the time Luke raised his head once more he had vanished, and the young man somehow knew it was for good. At least, until it was his own turn to face that journey beyond. A pang of sadness tightened his throat, but a wave of contentment soothed his lingering grief. At last, he had accomplished what his teachers had sacrificed so much to ensure. "Thank you, master," he whispered to the still air.

Ben, however, had remained behind. He stood aside in respectful silence until Luke decided to address him once more. Earlier Luke had longed for nothing more than to seek his counsel on what course of action he should take for Anakin, but now that urge had withered. Deep down he understood that it was no one's place but his own to make that decision. He'd made his bed, and now he had to lie in it. He simply hadn't wanted the terrible responsibility of living with the consequences on his conscience.

But then, nearly all the crucibles of his life had been concluded with his own judgment. Ben had not been there to save him from his own foolhardiness on Bespin.

And it was not Ben who would have saved his father.

The wound that Anakin had first opened in him on the Death Star suddenly flared again, this time from the bitterness that Kenobi had seeded in him after Yoda's passing. The words that tumbled from Luke's lips were not livid with hatred; rather, they were muted with the tired despondency of a soul that had been violated one too many times.

"You wanted me to kill him."

Those soft words cut Ben as deeply as the blade that had extinguished his life. That much was shown in the collapse of his expression. Luke was almost sorry--almost--that he had uttered them, but it was the truth.

"How could you do that to me, Ben? I trusted you...I know now why you had to lie to me. You only wanted to protect me. Because Force knows I would have run to him, Ben. I couldn't have stopped myself. But then..." Luke broke off, strangled by the tears that threatened to come afresh. Dammit, when are they going to stop?! Can't I go one minute without falling apart?! "You used me. Both of you. I just couldn't bring myself to tell Master Yoda. You made me a Jedi, but you were also making me into a weapon." His voice was trembling from the outrage he had been keeping pent up within and was now fast losing control of. His tone rose with each accusation until he was nearly screaming. "You both told me not to give in to hate, but then you didn't tell me who my father was so I wouldn't have a shred of compassion when I had to face him! When I'd be ready to deal the killing blow to the thing I thought had stolen my father from me!

"You wanted me to clean up the mess that you---!"

Abruptly Luke gasped and stopped himself before he could finish that last vicious slur. He sat staring at his mentor in abjec

14. Beyond_Awards_Sock

Nov 18, 2004
    Readers' Choice : Crossover

Nominees:

Tau....in Star Wars? by Nomad-2
    Three New Sailor Senshi by RK_striker_JK_5

15. Beyond_Awards_Sock

Nov 18, 2004
    Excerpts:

[color=#c60][b]Tau....in Star Wars?[/b][/color]
    by: [color=#606][b]Nomad-2[/b][/color]

Kauyon shook his head, [i]'I can't believe this'[/i] he thought, [i]'my engines go offline for a few seconds and boom they leave me here.'[/i] The Barracuda that Kauyon was flying was a modified version of the standard air superiority fighters used by the Kor, modified just enough so that it could fit a XV8 battlesuit in the main hold. Shas'vre Vior'la Mont'yr Kauyon known to friends and family as Vre'Kauyon was confused, more confused than the tactics of the gue'la made him as he thought about the events leading up to this.

[i]The group of fighters known as the Mont'ka weaved in and out of the larger capital ships of the Tau 3rd fleet, as they prepared to jump to a Tau world threatened by the Orcs. The fighters also carried a prototype small jump device capable of putting them in a part of the Warp so they could travel faster. As the ships prepared to jump something happened that no one noticed a small micro-fracture in the time space continuum, small it may have been but it would have a significant effect on events to follow. The fighters moved into their selected position and prepared to jump, Kauyon's ship, which he had named 'Shi' meaning Victory moved into a position directly on top of the fracture. Jump engines powered the other ships started to jump and as Shi started to jump all the engines suddenly cut out.[/i]

Kauyon looked round at the small space of [i]Shi[/i] and sighed this just was not his day. With my luck I'll probably have a human ship or worse appear near me now. No sooner thought than done, a large Mon Calamari cruiser appeared right in front of the small fighter.

[hr]
    [color=#c60][b]Three New Sailor Senshi[/b][/color]
    by: [color=#606][b]RK_striker_JK_5[/b][/color]
    [link=http://boards.theforce.net/message.asp?topic=13736038][color=#606]http://boards.theforce.net/message.asp?topic=13736038[/color][/link]

A blizzard of ribbons surrounded Hotaru, reforming her clothes into a Sailor Fuku with a purple bow tied on front and a violet skirt. Knee-high boots and elbow-length gloves completed the ensemble. She was now Sailor Saturn. Anakin noted that transformation time. [i]A half-second? Interesting.[/i] He motioned to the hunk of metal on the table. Saturn grabbed it and lifted it into the air with one hand. "Our strength is increased when we transform." She said to him. "We are almost the ideal."

Anakin nodded. His mouth was partially open in surprise at the large increase in her strength. Saturn put the equipment down, and a bright light enveloped her. When it faded, Tomoe Hotaru stood there once more. She reached around and pulled out a small pack of playing cards. "Do you have card games where you come from?" She asked.

The youngest Solo nodded. "My father's from Corellia, the gambling capital of the galaxy." He sat down as she began dealing out cards. He picked up his hand and noted the difference between them and Sabacc cards. "What is this called, anyway?"

Hotaru finished dealing and laid the undealt cards onto the table. She picked up her hand and said. "It's called go fish. Got any threes?"

Ten minutes later found the pair in the cafeteria. Tionne munched on a sandwich, while Setsuna ate some Mon Cal stew. Tionne leaned back and stretched her arms out. "Oh, I needed this!" Setsuna brushed some hair out of her eyes and spooned some more stew. She ate the steaming broth and meat chunks in one gulp. "I must get the recipe for this and have Makoto make some when we get back to Tokyo."

Tionne raised her eyebrow in amusement. "So, is that a prediction, or wishful thinking?" The guardian of the time gate cleared her throat and spooned some more stew. "You know I can't tell people about the future. It would disrupt the timeline." Tionne paused for a second, then put her sandwich down and looked Setsuna straight in the eyes.

I must ask you. What was it like guarding the time gate for 10,000 years?"

Setsun

16. Beyond_Awards_Sock

Nov 18, 2004
    Readers' Choice : Songfic

Nominees:
    Shine on You Crazy Diamond by Smuggler_Shidakis
    Whiskey Lullaby by CodeName_Targeter
    The Man in the Mirror by AnakinsHeir
    Picture by Trickster_Jaina_Fel
    Words Miscommunicate by Agent_Jaid
    She Will be Loved by Jedida
    I?m Not in Love by AnakinsHeir
    Hey, Boy by Agent_Jaid

17. Beyond_Awards_Sock

Nov 18, 2004
    Excerpts:

[color=#c60][b]Shine on You Crazy Diamond[/b][/color]
    by: [color=#606][b]Smuggler_Shidakis[/b][/color]
    [link=http://boards.theforce.net/message.asp?topic=17428201][color=#606]http://boards.theforce.net/message.asp?topic=17428201[/color][/link]

[i]"Kyppie!" a young, giggly voice exclaimed. A wide grin spread across Kyp's face as he turned to see an energetic three-year-old charging at him. Her dark hair flew from its tie as she ran on pudgy legs, brown eyes bright.

"Jaya!" he greeted, with equal excitement. The little girl launched into his waiting arms. Laughing, Kyp spun her around in a big bear hug. Jaina shrieked gleefully, arms wrapped tightly around his neck.

The little girl looked at him with an adoring face, and Kyp had to admit that the feeling was mutual. He was utterly bewitched by this beautiful little girl, full of life and energy. Who, inexplicably, was always overjoyed to see him. "Guess what!" she commanded him.

"What?" Kyp asked. He smiled, and for once, his eyes no longer held that haunted, weary expression they had since his fall.

"Today's my Lifeday!" Jaina crowed, chocolate-brown orbs dancing.

"Really?" Kyp feigned surprise. "I didn't know that!"

Jaina laughed, a light, breezy sound. "It is! It's Jasa's, too," she confided, voice low.

"So it is. Twenty-five already, huh?" Kyp teased, just so he could see her bright, baby-tooth smile.

"No!" she protested loudly, as if she'd caught a big mistake. "I'm three!" She looked up at his face. "You're silly!"

"Silly!" he gasped in mock astonishment. "Who, me?"

Jaina giggled. "Silly." she asserted. Smiling slyly, she inquired, "Do you have a present for me?"

"Hmmm...." He considered, then returned her smile. "I might have a little something...."

The little girl shone with delight. [/i]

[b]Now there's a look in your eyes,
    Like black holes in the sky.
    Shine on you crazy diamond. [/b]

"Hi, Jaya," Kyp greeted quietly, slipping into Jaina's room. In one hand, he held a bunch of flowers; in the other, a wrapped present.

The short, thin young woman looked at him with vacant brown eyes. "Do I know you?" she asked, in a dreamy sort of voice. When Kyp didn't answer, she cooed, "Ooh! Flowers!" She snatched them and buried her face in the blossoms. "So pretty."

"They're your favorite type," Kyp told her.

Jaina looked at him as if he was something very curious. "Are they?" She inhaled again. "Why are you here?"

"It's your Lifeday." Kyp said, voice hitching. He remembered a time, so long ago, when this lost-looking woman was a whirlwind of energy and emotion. Pain welled in his chest to see her this way.

"Is it?" Jaina asked distractedly. Humming tunelessly, she scattered flowers about the bed and the room. Turning empty, bottomless eyes to Kyp, she inquired, "Who are you?"

[b]You were caught on the crossfire
    Of childhood and stardom,
    Blown on the steel breeze.
    Come on you target for faraway laughter,
    Come on you stranger, you legend, you martyr, and shine![/b]

[i]"Who's that, Mom?" the young boy asked, pointing at the face that filled the 'screen in the shop window. Kyp halted and listened to his mother's answer.

"That's Jaina Solo, that's who that is," his plump, matronly mother answered matter-of-factly. "War hero, she was."

"Really?!" he breathed, awe in his voice. Kyp knew what he was imagining. Images of X-Wings and coralskippers, lightsabers and blasters and amphistaffs were running through his mind. All of the over glorified pictures of battle impressed upon young children.

"Oh, yes," his mother confirmed. "Poor thing. So young, you know. So bright. It's a shame, all right, a shame." She shook her head side to side with a tsk.

Kyp's heart lurched, knowing what was coming next.

"What's a shame?!" her boy demanded eagerly. "What?!" Curious as to this war hero, the brave warrior.

"Why, she went crazy. Raving mad, she is. " Her tone was still informative, still clipped and factual.

Her son sounded a bit disappointed when he next spoke. His dreams o

18. Beyond_Awards_Sock

Nov 18, 2004
    Readers' Choice : Humor

Nominees:
    Just Bruise It by Tahi
    The Prank Side of the Force by Jaya Solo and _3MD_PsychoSniper
    Always a Bridesmaid by DarthIshtar
    Tactless by oba_incarnate
    Noise by Gabri_Jade
    Dazed and Confused by FamousAmos
    Attention Moron Your Pal is Stealing Your Gal by Narundi_Jedi
    Male Bonding V: Lightsabers, the Universe, and Everything by Lady-Hermione
    She Kissed My Wookie by DarthIshtar
    Oil or Ewoks? Bush or Janson? by CodeName_Targeter and ThrawnRocks
    Like Daughter, Like Mother by JainaDurron
    Lowest Common Denominator: A Soap Opera in Three Acts by geo3

19. Beyond_Awards_Sock

Nov 18, 2004
    Excerpts:

[color=#c60][b]Just Bruise It[/b][/color]
    [link=http://boards.theforce.net/message.asp?topic=17287869][color=#606]http://boards.theforce.net/message.asp?topic=17287869[/color][/link]

(A Yuuzhan Vong rap by that little rapper extraordinaire - Onimem)

Guess who's back, back again
    Onny's back, tell a friend

Now everyone report to the maw luur
    To the maw luur, to the maw luur
    Now everyone report to the maw luur
    Alright stop, ooglith time

Calling all warriors of Domain Lah
    Onny's back with a word from Shimrra
    Gotta get those Jeedai, get them good
    Show them who da boss in this hood
    Ah ah ah ah ah, no worries
    Nen Tsup's got a brand new bag of tricks
    To fix those infidel fire sticks
    Iron fist, limp wrist pacifist
    Yep, that's a stab at Jacen
    Love those metaphors, I'm just spacin'
    I go a little bit crazy sometimes
    I get a little bit out of control with my rhymes
    Yun-Harla says throw a few bugs
    Bend down, touch your toes, enjoy those thuds
    In the center of the maw luur
    Put a dash of blorash up your nose
    One little tickle and it explodes
    Anyone else for a brand new scar?
    And if the maw goes "poot poot," it's ok
    You won't smell it, no noses ha!
    Eat your heart out Domain Carr.

Now I'm gonna make you dance
    It's your chance
    Dudes, shake that ass
    Whoops I mean Tsup, Nen Tsup, Nen Tsup
    Nen Tsup is my world
    Alright now lose it (ah ah ah ah ah)
    Just bruise it (ah ah ah ah ah)
    Go crazy (ah ah ah ah ah)
    Oh baby (ah ah) go rabid (ah ah)

In Dark Space cruisin' round a star
    I'm on my way to Yuuzhan'tar
    With Domain Lah
    And Domain Carr
    All on board with Lord Shimmra
    Da boss man yo, he ain't too happy
    Since the chosen planet turned out so crappy
    Itching kinda makes him snappy
    All I know is when I get there I'm
    Gonna scratch my body
    So excuse da boss, it's not like he's a jerk
    But he's feeling just a little stressed out from work
    I let him punch me in the stomach and pull my hair
    'Coz there's this wandering planet he can't find anywhere
    So what's ya name planet, what's ya sign?
    Man you got da boss outta his mind
    Dire (ah ah) Gotta keep up the rhyme
    Gotta keep toeing the party line

It's your chance
    Shimrra, shake that ass
    Nen Tsup is my world
    Oh baby (ah ah) Oh baby (ah ah)

On Yuuzhan'tar and I'm sealed up
    In a damutek - it's just my luck
    I was runnin' with a naked butt
    Round the arena screamin' (ah ah ah ah)
    Well I'm sorry, I don't remember
    All I know is this much, I've got a rash
    Da boss said "Scratch it, and next time you flash
    I'll let Nom Anor touch your body"
    Now this is the part where the rap breaks down
    Trying to itch, but not make a sound
    Everyone waits for the words of the clown
    (Ain't no way he's gonna touch my body)
    Now snap back to reality, Wookiees hate gravity
    Yeah, that's low, couldn't help the depravity
    So low, so low, Solo, Solo
    I don't have any lines to go right here so Solo
    So low fellas (what) fellas (what)
    Grab your couffe, make your amphistaff jealous (what)
    Black armour, blue armour, skinny armour, fat
    Tall warriors, small warriors, I'm callin' all warriors
    Everyone report to the maw luur
    It's your chance for a little bombast or butt bashin'
    It's smashin', just go (ah ah ah ah)
    It's in fashion

It's your chance
    Nom Anor, shake that ass
    Nen Tsup is my world
    Oh baby (ah ah) Oh baby (ah ah)
    Go rabid.

[hr]
    [color=#c60][b]The Prank Side of the Force[/b][/color]
    by: [color=#606][b]Jaya Solo and _3MD_PsychoSniper[/b][/color]
    [link=http://boards.theforce.net/message.asp?topic=13913348][color=#606]http://boards.theforce.net/message.asp?topic=13913348[/color][/link]

Jaina couldn't believe Wes has painted, and decorated,

20. Beyond_Awards_Sock

Nov 18, 2004
    Readers' Choice : Poem

Nominees:
    The Eternal Cord by Tahi
    Who Would Like To Kiss Kyp Durron? by Deneveon
    Complex Touch by LianaMara
    I'll Be by Lonewolf89
    Still Up There by Tahi

21. Beyond_Awards_Sock

Nov 18, 2004
    Excerpts:

[color=#c60][b]The Eternal Cord[/b][/color]
    [link=http://fanfic.theforce.net/fanfic.asp?ID=1447][color=#606]http://fanfic.theforce.net/fanfic.asp?ID=1447[/color] [/link]

My baby, I remember you still
    warm, wonderful - a moist bundle
    of limbs unfolding in perfect proportion,
    your brown eyes discovering
    the world for the first time,
    your first journey complete,
    your first conquest
    my heart.

Accustomed to a humid
    equatorial shelter,
    you objected loudly
    to the harsh new climate,
    cold, clinical
    like the cut
    that severed
    your former lifeline.
    Our connection, once tangible,
    transcended the frail flesh -
    became stronger, indestructible.

My little boy, I wish I could remember
    your first lisping utterances, articulations
    in baby speak of your loving origins,
    but they were shared with another
    no less caring, yet not me
    your mother.

Your name, your inheritance
    a double danger, and you
    so vulnerable. Bound to you
    yet separated by necessity.
    Jedi mothers don't dream
    except in nightmares.

My boy, I do remember
    your first halting steps,
    the ground an unreliable ally
    tricking and toppling you
    making you chuckle. You
    unafraid, at home in halls of power
    in the glistening corridors of hyperspace.

My son, I remember
    the fond family joke,
    you the puzzle adept
    and yet to us the puzzle, hearing
    rhythms unreachable to our ears.
    Problems were just equations,
    like the temple on Yavin,
    rebuilt thanks to you.
    I still have the model,
    its harmony and balance
    quintessentially yours.

What siren songs moved you?
    What echoes from a lost past
    where strength of will
    and honour were still virtues?
    So many times I almost lost you,
    greed, ambition honing
    the cruel blades that would cut you
    from me again and again. For you
    age was no magical shield and so
    you grew up before your time. I
    don't remember the moment. I
    looked away for an instant
    and there you were, a man
    to look up to, a young man
    I was proud to call my son.

I remember your still form
    aglow in the Force, the flush of victory
    on your sleeping face. Dantooine,
    your initiation as protector of Jedi.

I don't remember
    the surgical strike
    that severed your tie
    to this life, but I felt
    your body aflame - a crucible
    tested by fire, sanctified by the Force;
    your fierce desire to save us all;
    your perfect love redeeming me
    when all I felt was pain.

My immortal, I remember your still form,
    your sweet face peaceful in victory, the stars
    aglow showering your final journey
    with radiance reserved only for heroes.
    And yet the phantom cord endures
    stronger still. My link to you. My
    everlasting connection to you, my
    baby, my son.
    My Anakin.

[hr]
    [color=#c60][b]Who Would Like to Kiss Kyp Durron?[/b][/color]
    by: [color=#606][b]Deneveon[/b][/color]
    [link=http://boards.theforce.net/message.asp?topic=17583758][color=#606]http://boards.theforce.net/message.asp?topic=17583758[/color][/link]

Who would like to kiss Kyp Durron?
    I'd sure like to kiss Kyp Durron.
    I've always thought he was kind of hot
    (With a body like his, who would not?)
    But I'm not about to admit it.

I've been crushing on him since I was two
    (You sure would, if it were you!)
    But you'd never hear me admit it!

"Two old, two old!" I've often been told
    Stick to Jagged Fel, they say
    But after while you get kind of tired
    Of grim and gloomy every single day.

But to him I'm a kid and his best friend's daughter
    And for Vader's sake, he's fifteen years older!
    But I still wonder what it would be like to kiss Kyp Durron...

How many men in my life, after all,
    Have blown up a planet and taken a fall,
    Only to become my own savior?

Partners, we said
    Partners, till death
    I can still hear those words repreat in my head
    But what [i]kind[/i] of partners though, he hadn't said!

Too bad I'm taken by some emotionless twit

22. Beyond_Awards_Sock

Nov 18, 2004
    Readers' Choice : Vignette

Nominees:
    Leaking Heart by MistiWhitesun
    Home by Jedi Trace
    The Best Way to Get Cookies by NYCitygurl
    Tactless by Vader_Incarnate
    Noise by Gabri_Jade
    She Will Scream by Smuggler_Shidakis
    Jedi We Are Foremost by obaona
    Forsaken by LianaMara
    Fatherly advice by Jedi_of_Destiny
    Yearn by SaberBlade
    Dirty Socks by LadyPadme

23. Beyond_Awards_Sock

Nov 18, 2004
    Excerpts:

[color=#c60][b]Leaking Heart[/b][/color]
    by: [color=#606][b]MistiWhitesun[/b][/color]
    [link=http://boards.theforce.net/message.asp?topic=17275024][color=#606]http://boards.theforce.net/message.asp?topic=17275024[/color][/link]

[i]Drip.

[/i]It lands on her forehead, rolling to the side of her face and trailing down her jawline. Dried blood and tears' cleansing reveal the water's trail. Her forehead's gash healed up awhile back, and now she stands, staring blankly at the cavern ceiling.

Does she cry still? Occasionally. She denies them the satisfaction, most of the time.

[i]Drip.

[/i]Another one hits her. She doesn't react. Her eyelids do not even flutter.

Is she even here? Not really. She follows his movements, monitoring his Force signature as he seeks her.

[i]Drip.

[/i]She blinks, gray eyes distant.

Why does she stand beneath the leak? She must. Ysalamiri live in the walls' crevices, preventing Force use from any other part of her cell.

[i]Drip. [/i]

She's been here a long time. Waiting. Listening through the Force as they lead him on one false trail after another. The other searchers gave up long ago, but not him.

Does she fear? Him. She gave up hope for herself long ago. She could not afford her own dreams once her birthright claimed her. Now she realizes her mistake and awaits rescue... by him.

[i]Drip.

[/i]She slowly lowers herself to her knees, lowering her head to stare down at the ground. A few scraggly filthy tangles of what once formed flaming tresses fall in her face. She doesn't feel it.

Do they taunt her? During her occasional feedings. She accepts it stoically, as taught by her warrior mother. Any other reaction elicits a beating. They do not know she knows who comes for her.

[i]Drip.

[/i]Her eyes snap into focus, and a slight smile appears. Now she notices her matted hair, her rank and scarred malnourished body, and the smile sours to a worried frown. She gathers the scraps left of her clothing, doing her best to look presentable in her disrespectable situation.

What concerns her? Him. She fears her realization may have come too late. She cannot know what has happened while trapped in this hole.

[i]Drip. [/i]

The little-used door creaks open. An emerald lightsaber illuminates the cell.

He's found her.

[i]Drip.

[/i]She remains still, knowing any movement will drop the remnants of her clothing. She does not speak, for her voice is rusty.

The lightsaber slowly examines the room, wary from the ysalamiri. A while later, it nears enough that she may view its wielder. Brandy brown eyes search intently, shaggy brown hair and tan Jedi tunic unkempt.

[i]Drip[/i].

"[i]Jacen[/i]..." she murmurs, and grimaces. Her voice sounds rough to herself.

He abruptly turns towards her, swiftly approaching and crouching beside her. "Vaping Moffs..." He removes his cloak and wraps it around her too-thin shoulders. "What have they done to you?" She doesn't move, watching him.

[i]Drip. [/i]

He frowns. "Why are you in this little spot?"

Swiftly she stands, pulling him towards her as she does so. He starts when the ysalamiri lose their hold over his Force-sensitivity. They are close.

[i]Drip. [/i]

He glances up when the water hits him. His fingers slowly trace the paths the drops have formed down her face. "Force..."

He raises her chin, not letting her stare at the floor. "Tenel Ka... What have they done to you?"

[i]Drip. [/i]

Droplet slides down her cheek, and she doesn't answer. She watches him, troubled. How can she say what she knows she must? She does not know who he might have found in her time alone in the dark...

"I need to get you out of here," he says quietly. Knowing such will put them in the Force-blind reach of the ysalamiri gives him pause. They might not make it out.

[i]Drip. [/i]

She tentatively reaches out to him in the Force. A pained smile crosses his lips as he accepts it. Her breath quickens, fear building.

After a moment of Jacen probing her Force signature, he shake

24. Beyond_Awards_Sock

Nov 18, 2004
    Readers' Choice : Response to a Challenge

Nominees:
    Fighting in the Shadows by VaderLVR64
    All Those Who Take the Sword by Codename_Targeter
    Second Chance by Jags_Scoundrel
    Slipped On A Fruit Peel by Lt_Jaina_Solo
    Crossing Paths by Jags_gurl
    Always A Bridesmaid by Darth_Ishtar
    Happiness by djcati
    Coward by MiaTieska and DantanaSkywalker
    Chanuka by Elena

25. Beyond_Awards_Sock

Nov 18, 2004
    Excerpts:

[color=#c60][b]Fighting in the Shadows[/b][/color]
    by: [color=#606][b]VaderLVR64[/b][/color]
    [link=http://boards.theforce.net/message.asp?topic=17644054][color=#606]http://boards.theforce.net/message.asp?topic=17644054[/color][/link]

She sighed and relaxed into his embrace. "I just don't think I can do this," she said quietly.

He brushed the fiery red hair back from her face. "Do what, love?"

"All of it," she said and spread her arms wide. "The endless round of feedings, the knowledge that I'm completely responsible for another human life, the fear that I'll mess it up somehow and he'll be ruined." Their eyes met. "Don't you ever worry that we are completely and totally incapable of being good parents?"

He hid his smile by nuzzling her neck. As always, any hint of vulnerability in Mara made him love her all the more; for it was so rarely that she let anything but absolute confidence be revealed. "You're a wonderful mother, Mara."

Mara leaned back so that she could look at him.

She sighed in exasperation. "I don't want you to hand me mindless platitudes, Skywalker. I'm serious! What if we mess this up?" She grabbed his shoulders and shook him a little. "I mean saving the galaxy is great, but if we screw up our own kid then what does the rest of it matter?"

"I think you're tired."

She lightly smacked his ribs. "That is the understatement of the century! Of course I'm tired. I'm exhausted! I'm so tired I'm running into things. Being an assassin is nothing compared to being at the whim of an eight pound baby boy who has the appetite of a gundark and the patience of a rancor...or a Skywalker," she said with a sly look his way.

An injured expression settled on Luke's face. "Now that's just unfair, Mara." But his eyes twinkled with laughter, despite his words.

She shrugged. "If you say so," she said, clearly not convinced.

He cocked one blond eyebrow. "And I suppose you are the embodiment of patience?"

She sniffed disdainfully. "I'm more patient than you, farmboy, and we both know it!"

"Really?" He imbued the single word with a world of doubt, his arms crossed over his chest.

A very nice chest...muscular, firm...

Mara shook her head and tried to clear her thoughts. Clearly, exhaustion was making her hallucinate or something. How could she be contemplating what had crossed her mind when it was the very thing that had led her to this situation in the first place?

"Really," she nodded for emphasis. She tried very hard to ignore how adorable Luke looked with that dopey grin on his face.

He bowed his head. "All right, you win," he conceded. "But Skywalkers do have a certain flair, for all of our impatience." He winked at her. "You have to admit it."

The bright head tilted as she considered his words. "Well...you're right; you Skywalkers do have a certain intriguing quality." She shot him a mischievous look. "But it just may be those big blue eyes or that farmboy sincerity that turns a girl's head."

Snuggling up closer to Luke, Mara stared at the doorway. "How long do you think he'll sleep this time?"

"Just about until we fall asleep," Luke said with a chuckle.

"I swear that boy knows I'm on the edge of collapse, and every time I'm ready to toss him out a window he'll smile up at me and I'm at his mercy all over again."

She could feel the reassuring beat of Luke's heart beneath her cheek and the quiet rumble of his laughter. "He's a Skywalker, what can I say?" He squeezed her close to him. "Haven't you been ready to toss me out a window more than once?"

"You have no clue how many times you've been in imminent danger of taking an unscheduled flight," she said dryly.

It was silent in the shadowy room for a few moments. Then Luke's voice broke through her weary thoughts. "We'll muddle through this somehow, I'm sure. We make a good team, you and I. Don't you think?"

She was too tired to form a coherent argument. "I hope so, or that poor kid will be a basket case." Mara yawned and turned in Luke's arms, wrapping her arms around hi

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.