main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

JCC Bible universities

Discussion in 'Community' started by Ender Sai, Jan 14, 2014.

1. Ender Sai

Ender Sai Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2001
    Dear Americans [face_flag],

I've noticed your country has a fair number of these, and even people on these boards are graduates of these establishments.

I don't know if we have them in Australia, or if we do, I think we just put them on accord with degrees bought online or obtained in philosophy, i.e. not real.

What's the story with them? Are they regarded as elaborate jokes or viable institutions in the US? And how does Bible University differ from Bovine University?

I actually do want some insight, because I instinctively assume a person who went to such an establishment actually received no education.

Heavy Isotope likes this.
  2. Darth Guy

Darth Guy Chosen One star 10

Aug 16, 2002
    The Bush Administration hired heavily from Pat Robertson's Regent University.

3. tom

tom Chosen One star 8

Mar 14, 2004
    i have a philosophy degree. :(

4. EmpireForever

EmpireForever Force Ghost star 8

Mar 15, 2004
    I thought you had a degree in funk.

5. Jabba-wocky

Jabba-wocky Chosen One star 10

May 4, 2003
    I actually don't think Regent and Liberty would qualify. To my mind, the term implies outright seminaries or at least those that have explicit religious instruction as a major cornerstone of their curriculum. By contrast, the schools Even mentioned are just liberal arts schools with an extremely socially conservative bent.

6. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    No, I don't think he's intending to take down Divinity schools and Theological studies because those tend to be the foundation of the entire institution of a university.

Also, P.S. Wocky, context.

7. Ender Sai

Feb 18, 2001

Don't feel bad, you also have Magnum PI!

tom likes this.
  8. heels1785

heels1785 Skywalker Saga + JCC Manager / Finally Won A Draft star 10 Staff Member Manager

Dec 10, 2003
  9. Jabba-wocky

Jabba-wocky Chosen One star 10

May 4, 2003
    Well, I'm frankly sort of confused about what he's trying to address at all. There are certainly some areas where it can come in for clear criticism. But the reality is that majors like English or Art History don't have a great deal of workplace applicability to begin with. Does getting that degree from a "Christian" versus sexular four year institution actually change that? Likewise, are there Christian and non-Christian accounting practices that would make the degree substantially different? Granted, they're not of any outstanding quality, but most colleges and universities aren't.

EDIT: I think heels has stumbled on what's perhaps a more substantive example? Requiring students to attend multiple religious services weekly as a condition of continued enrollment is a substantive investment that would qualify the experience there as unique. I don't necessarily understand this to be the case at other (in?)famous schools, which tend to just have things like dress codes.

10. Zapdos

Zapdos Force Ghost star 5

Jan 7, 2013
    as long as you didn't buy it online, tom

tom and Ender Sai like this.
  11. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    LOL "sexular".

At the heathen state-funded universities where I got my undergraduate and graduate degrees, both Liberty and Bob Jones were considered very elaborate and expensive jokes.

But there is a very elaborate and expensive joke, and then there is Wake Forest Seminary outside of Raleigh, not to be confused with the university and medical school in Winston-Salem, which is a great institution. The seminary is downright ****ing scary Jesus-Camp style.

GrandAdmiralJello likes this.
  12. Rogue_Ten

Rogue_Ten Chosen One star 7

Aug 18, 2002
    a lot of people i meet in the Phoenix area (especially, i must confess, in some corners of the dance community) go to Grand Canyon University, which bills itself as a Christian school. i haven't and cannot be arsed now to actually look into this place in depth, but i kind of make the same assumption that they're getting a substandard education that protects them from information that might cause unplesant cognitive dissonance. many of them are lovely folks, but id certainly think twice before relying on them to be particularly competent in whatever their degree is supposed to have been in. maybe that's an unfounded prejudice based on my impressions of places like liberty or regents university

then again, im attending a state university this semester and i almost accidentally roomed with this dude so ymmv

Rogue1-and-a-half and Ender Sai like this.
  13. LostOnHoth

LostOnHoth Chosen One star 5

Feb 15, 2000
    Yeah we have them in Australia, lots of them. My wife teaches in the catholic school system so she had to get a certificate or diploma of religious education which she got from some catholic university.

I would question the quality of any science degree offered by a biblical university.

14. Ender Sai

Feb 18, 2001
    Wocky, in all seriousness, I don't know if they're valid institutions or not. If they even exist in my country, they would be regarded as a joke and not taken seriously.

But in America, it's different so I basically wanted to know, if you met someone who graduated from one of these institutions, how would you view them, academically? Assuming you had a job and didn't just live off the vast wealth you accrued over the years waiting for the Prize when there's only one Immortal left, and a graduate of a Biblical university applied for a job, would you consider a qualification in biblical actuarial studies the same as real secular actuarial studies?

15. Ender Sai

Feb 18, 2001

Is that ACU?

Catholicism has an old-world classicisim to it that the grubby, nouveau riche kitsch of American evangelicalism doesn't. I'd be more favourable to ACU in that case.

16. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    Well, I guess we're talking about a range of different things though.

I. Actual degrees in theology, whether as part of a Doctor of Divinity program or just undergrad. These exist all over the world.

II. Religious-based schools that teach things like creationism at a college level

III. random conservative so-called schools of the sort mentioned earlier in the thread

IV. religiously-based private liberal arts schools.

I and IV are legitimate educational institutions. Technically II and III are in the sense that they might be officially accredited or something, but lol.

edit: I'd include the above example in group IV, and add Lutheran and Episcopalian schools to that group too :p

17. Rogue_Ten

Aug 18, 2002
    i like that category system and i wonder if anyone knows where the example i mentioned, Grand Canyon University (GCU) falls, and also where BYU falls since I know a ton of mormons these days as well. I assume BYU to be a special case because people seem to treat it more or less like a "real" degree, so there must be some sort of rigor there right? RRIIIIGGGHHHHTTT?!

even tho you cant grow a beard there without getting expelled without a "medical reason" approved via an exam by an on-campus doctor, apprently lol

18. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    I would certainly suspect in any institution that required its students to attend X number of religious services, an agenda that went far beyond getting a marketable education.

Grand Canyon offers online programs for graduate degrees in education and this is actually the first I've heard of their being a religious university. But the only reason I've heard of the school at all is due to those online degrees.

19. Ender Sai

Feb 18, 2001

How anyone could treat a degree from a cult as legit, i don't know.

20. LostOnHoth

Feb 15, 2000
    But isn't the whole idea of getting a degree from a bible university that you will become a minister or pastor or reverand or some other kind of paid job teaching the bible and theology etc etc. It's like the educational pathway to a career in bible and being religious. Church attendance would be like a pre-requisite for those kinds of jobs I reckon.

Jedi Merkurian likes this.
  21. Rogue_Ten

Aug 18, 2002

oh god i looked it up and it's the worst of both worlds. its a "for-profit, christian university". it's university of phoenix meets bible college

22. Kyle Katarn

Kyle Katarn Force Ghost star 6

Jul 10, 1998
    There is a school with "Bible College" in it's name about 20 minutes away from where I live. From what I recall, it is primarily a seminary with other faith related areas of teaching.

There are also several universities in my home state which have backing from specific Christian denominations, but they do not require students to adhere to certain traditions or publically profess a certain kind of faith. I'm 99% sure you are referring to the first one I mentioned, but the US has a lot of the second type of university too.

23. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    LostOnHoth : My understanding is that a seminary prepares you to go into church work. Bible colleges offer other degrees with a religious bent.

Kyle Katarn : I'm familiar with one university in my state that has the financial backing of the Lutheran church but does not require church attendance.

24. Rogue_Ten

Aug 18, 2002
    oh god. oh god its so terrible

how ******* stupid do you have to be to get suckered into a bible college THAT IS ALSO a for-profit scam college?

Point Given and Ender Sai like this.
  25. LostOnHoth

Feb 15, 2000
    Oh, well then yeah, that is wierd.