main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Saga Biblical References in Star Wars?

Discussion in 'Star Wars Saga In-Depth' started by Brutus77, Jan 12, 2015.

1. Brutus77

Brutus77 Jedi Youngling

Jan 12, 2015
    Hello my name is Brutus. Being a nerd I think everything has math involved. I've noticed a massive amount of references to the Bible. Obviously, the good book is a great place to get stories from.

Please no hate mail for Christians. I'm also in love with Star Wars.

Here we go (I have to decode the rest - everything is biblical)

Forest moon of Endor - 1 Samuel (the witch of endor)

Coruscant 9 letters
    Jerusalem 9 letters

Totooine 8 letters
    Nazareth 8 letters

Palpatine 9 letters
    Beelzebub 9 letters

Darth Maul - the beast with 10 horns

Rule of 2 - false prophet and the antichrist

Anakin concieved by the Force
    The virgin Mary was inpregnated by the Holy Spirit.

I doubt this is a coincidence since the entire film series is like this. I have a disability so it's hard to type.

Any thoughts?

George Lucas is a genius.

Brutus

2. Darth Vader's Chest Plate

Darth Vader's Chest Plate Jedi Master star 2

Mar 18, 2013
    Afterlife

False prophet(s)

Worship an idol - some of the upper ranking officers in relation to the Death Star, Ewoks are primative and mistake C3PO for a god

Can Vader's death be viewed as sacrifice? Was his Mustafar experience a resurection?

3. Brutus77

Brutus77 Jedi Youngling

Jan 12, 2015
    Well, I don't know. There are multiple endings to the film. In Return of the Jedi, in my version, Anakin is showen as a redeemed jedi master spirit (see robes and hair), but he had to be on his death bed to be saved. Anakin died and became Darth Vader. When darth vader died, Anakin came back. If darth vader can be saved in ths fictional movie there is hope for anyone.

Brutus

4. Alexrd

Alexrd Chosen One star 6

Jul 7, 2009
    Fixed.

5. Brutus77

Brutus77 Jedi Youngling

Jan 12, 2015
    I read the 1977 book called "Star Wars" and Ben Kenobi said he will become more powerful than Vader can imagine if he is struck down, but if Vader dies he ceases to exist. The second part of that was not in the film.

Brutus

6. Sarge

Sarge Chosen One star 10

Oct 4, 1998
    Luke trusted the Force when he torpedoed the Death Star, as David trusted God when he slung his stone at Goliath.

-Jedi Joe- and enigmaticjedi like this.
  7. MOC Vober Dand

MOC Vober Dand Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 6, 2004
  8. Darth Maaliss

Darth Maaliss Jedi Padawan star 1

Dec 19, 2014
    Eps IV to VI minimal references.
    Eps I to III many similarites as do all Messianic/Chosen Ones stories (eg Matrix). To be honest Star Wars didnt it at all.

9. Han Burgundy

Han Burgundy Jedi Master star 3

Jan 28, 2013
    Good observations. I have always found it interesting to think of Anakin as a George Lucas "riff" of the Christ narrative. The messiah is born of virgin conception and demonstrates all the traits required to be "the chosen one", including a genuine selflessness and goodwill (as demonstrated in TPM). But unlike Jesus, who triumphed through the temptations of the broken human soul, Anakin eventually succumbs to them, and becomes a fallen messiah (If you want a glimpse of what this might have looked like in the context of Jesus, watch Scorsesse's Last Temptation of Christ. Beautiful movie.)

When Obi Wan shouts "You were the chosen one! It was said that you would destroy the Sith, not join them!" He's not merely yelling in anguish at a former friend. He's having a moment of severe religious breakdown. The man he had lifted up in faith as Messiah had completely and utterly failed. Of course, in the end Obi Wans original faith wasn't misplaced after all; Vader does destroy the Sith in a crucial act of self-sacrifice. Unlike Jesus, the act is an atonement for Vaders own sins as well as a gateway to freedom (indirectly) for the rest of the Galaxy.

One could speculate at length about what George Lucas is trying to "say" by having a messianic figure who falls, becomes the villain, and in the end needs his own son to find his way again. It's fascinating to think about, but I don't have the mental fortitude at 11pm to go that far down the rabbit hole :p

Star Wars as a whole, of course, pulls from a great number of religious narratives and cultural mythologies. It's that hodge-podge nature, in my opinion, that makes it such a potent modern myth in its own right. But, being a Christian man myself, I have to admit I'm particularly drawn to the Christ parallels.

10. Darth_Nub

Darth_Nub Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 26, 2009
    From earlier drafts of SW, and was also included in the prologue to the novelisation. Not a reference to any actual Biblical content to my knowledge, but certainly a Biblical-styled quote, complete with the chapter and verse. I'd be curious to know if the content does match up with anything from the Bible, or any other religious texts.

Drun Pulsar likes this.
  11. City Councilman Binks

City Councilman Binks Jedi Master star 4

May 7, 2014
    One of the lines i really dislike in Star Wars is this one delivered by Han:

DECK OFFICER Your Tauntaun'll freeze before you
    reach the first marker.

HAN Then I'll see you in hell!

The concept of hell spans many religions and mythos, but it's very "biblical" and perhaps that's why I dislike that line, not that I am anti-bible it's that it's a little bit to close to home to be uttered by Han. I had the same reaction with Obi-Wan when he mentions that he is for "democracy".

Among the Clouds likes this.
  12. MOC Vober Dand

MOC Vober Dand Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 6, 2004
    I've always found that line to be slightly jarring as well. It shouldn't be really, as the whole saga is filled with earthly stuff - language, accents etc, but it just doesn't sound quite right somehow.

Among the Clouds likes this.
  13. sarlaccsaurs-rex

sarlaccsaurs-rex Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 10, 2007
    I agree, but sometimes its fun to hear earth words in star wars. "Chewy give me the gun!" sounds a lot better than "Chewy hand me the blaster!" Would you rather hear "Younglings" rather than children? :p Even as a prequel defender that term makes me shudder.

Sarge and MOC Yak Face like this.
  14. enigmaticjedi

enigmaticjedi Jedi Knight star 3

Nov 2, 2011
    1) Redemption
    -- The selfless love of Luke freed Anakin from the snares of Palpatine's evil influence who is a symbol for the enemy. Sidious said the following: "By now you must know that your father can never be turned from the dark side." However, Luke proved this false. Instead, Luke's statement became true, "There is good in you. The Emperor hasn't driven it from you fully."

2) Holy Spirit
    -- Yoda's speech from TESB can be seen as a metaphor for the Holy Spirit: "Luminous beings are we, not this crude matter. You must feel the Force around you; here, between you, me, the tree, the rock, everywhere. Yes, even between the land and the ship."

Joanne2108 and Sarge like this.
  15. Jo B1 Kenobi

Jo B1 Kenobi Jedi Master star 2

Jul 3, 2014
    I've often thought the force seems similar to the Holy Spirit too.

Sarge and enigmaticjedi like this.
  16. enigmaticjedi

enigmaticjedi Jedi Knight star 3

Nov 2, 2011
    Great minds think alike! That's one big reason why the OT resonanted with me.

17. VadersLaMent

VadersLaMent Chosen One star 10

Apr 3, 2002
    In the earliest versions of the Bible there was Abbadon who was at first a being then later a place then later removed. He was the Devil's right hand man but turned on him in the end throwing him into a pit. This was later changed to the archangel Michael who chained Satan to a rock and threw him in a pit for a thousand years. This is of course vader throwing Palpatine down the Death Star shaft.

-Jedi Joe- likes this.
  18. Darth Schlotkin

Darth Schlotkin Jedi Padawan star 2

Jan 6, 2015

19. -Jedi Joe-

-Jedi Joe- Jedi Master star 2

May 6, 2013

Which is interesting as the duel was originally supposed to take place in the Emperor's Palace on the capital world "Had Abbadon" before GL put it on the Death Star.

20. Darth_Nub

Apr 26, 2009

Excellent catch.

-Jedi Joe- likes this.
  21. Jo B1 Kenobi

Jo B1 Kenobi Jedi Master star 2

Jul 3, 2014
    For me it was the first time I'd ever thought of anything spiritual at all. Before that I was a very concrete 7 year old with a leaning towards science and a mad love of all things NASA. (In fact I wore a toy space helmet almost full-time at home for over a year!) The idea of the force blew my mind. It was a paradigm shift for me which opened my thinking up to the possibility of faith. Now, as a Christian, I look back and see the similarities between the force and the Holy Spirit, it means even more. I will never forget being in the cinema, seven years old, and watching the Tantive IV fly past and then that HUGE star destroyer which just got bigger and bigger. Our Odean had massive speakers and the whole place shook. It was amazing - love at first sight!

Sarge and enigmaticjedi like this.
  22. Ananta Chetan

Ananta Chetan Force Ghost star 5

Aug 11, 2013
    The Force will be with you, always. -Obi-Wan

I will be with you, always. -Jesus

Just caught this one again the other day, Obi-Wan's last words to Luke in ANH after he destroys the DS and Jesus' last statement to his disciples.

23. Darth_Nub

Apr 26, 2009

And from Lenny Bruce:

(Sorry, couldn't resist...)

24. Ananta Chetan

Ananta Chetan Force Ghost star 5

Aug 11, 2013
    Both newborn Jesus and Luke were taken secretly to live in the desert in a distant land in fear that they would be discovered and killed by the Empire.

John the Baptist and Qui-Gon Jinn both discovered and proclaimed the Chosen One and were met with skepticism from the prevailing spiritual figures of their time.

Joanne2108, Sarge and Iron_lord like this.
  25. DANNASUK

DANNASUK Force Ghost star 7

Nov 1, 2012
    The Eastern traditions dominate Star Wars the most; countless Buddhist, Hindu, Sikh and Chinese mythology in the Saga. In fact, Hindu is the primary influence for the concept of the Force.

Joseph Campbell noted all the philosophical stories/dilemmas came from India. For example, Yoda might as well of handed Luke a copy of the Bhagavad Gita in ESB instead of training him; Yoda is very much so assuming the role of Krishna.

jahyeshua and SateleNovelist11 like this.