main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Big Blue Box's *Fable*

Discussion in 'Archive: Games' started by portman_is_so_fine, Oct 8, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. portman_is_so_fine

portman_is_so_fine Jedi Master star 4

Apr 28, 2002
    Anybody looking forward to this game? I think it is going to be one of the best games ever made.

Fable is a ground-breaking role-playing adventure game from Peter Molyneux, in which your every action determines your skills, appearance, and reputation.

Create your life story from childhood to death. Grow from an inexperienced adolescent into the most powerful being in the world. Choose the path of righteousness or dedicate your life to evil.

Muscles expand with each feat of strength; force of will increases with each work of wit. Obesity follows gluttony, skin tans with exposure to sunlight and bleaches bone-white by moonlight.

Earn scars in battle and lines of experience with age. Each person you aid, each flower you crush, each creature you slay, will change this world forever.

Fable: Who will you be?

Features:

Forge a hero based on your actions: Age and evolve a hero or villain through the actions you choose and the path you follow?be it for good, evil, or in-between. Ply the way of the sword, and see your muscles bulge. Weave the dark arts, and witness power crackle at your fingertips. Skulk in the shadows, and watch your skin bleach.

Engage in intense real-time combat: Collect battle scars as you duel with a world of cunning foes and deadly creatures. Master an array of deadly weaponry as you hone the art of blade-craft. Hunt your quarry using subterfuge and stealth. Weave death from the elements, as you harness the dark arts of the arcane.

Build your living legend: Through deeds and actions, build a name for yourself across the land. Recruit allies and followers. Gain glory or notoriety. Make friends and enemies. Interact with a living world of people, places, and event all reactive to you. Hero or butcher? Who will you be?

Explore and shape a living, evolving world: Champion or manipulate an ever-changing land with competitive and cooperative heroes, dynamic weather systems, and deformable environments. Interact with teeming cultures, creatures, and citizens from various towns and cities.

Hone your character with scores of unique skills and extras: Master new abilities and add possessions as you develop.

Never play the same game twice: Once you finish your adventure, go back and try the experience again, forging your character and thereby a new tale with unexpected twists and turns, new skills, powers, influences, allies and enemies.

*Fable*

Can not wait for this one.

2. Z-95

Z-95 Jedi Master star 4

Nov 24, 2000
    weak. its for xbox. but still it sounds like a cool game though :)

3. 1stAD

1stAD Jedi Youngling star 5

May 10, 2001
    sthu gtho ;)

This is probably going to be the best (console) RPG EVER once released.

4. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    Sounds interesting, hopefully they'll do a port to another platform if the game turns out to be well executed.

5. Boutros-Boutros

Boutros-Boutros Jedi Youngling star 3

Sep 5, 2001
    Built from the ground up for Xbox, published by Microsoft Game Studios. I'd bet against a PC port happening. And I'd really really really bet against an anything else port ever happening. Plus I doubt the Cube or PS2 could run it, especially since they don't have hard drives.

6. Darth_Invidious

Darth_Invidious Force Ghost star 6

Jun 21, 1999
    Ah, stop yer whining, ya ninnies, and get a Xbox. I'm betting so many of you have missed KOTOR for not getting one. Will you mis out on this too for not sell -- I mean, shelling out? :p

7. Scott3eyez

Scott3eyez Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 1, 2001
    Gutted that it's looking like Xbox only...

This is from the same man as Populous, Powermonger, Syndicate and quite a few old but classic games. If I had to name a favourite programmer, it would probably be this guy- he's all about creating worlds that you can completely immerse yourself in.

8. Darth_Invidious

Darth_Invidious Force Ghost star 6

Jun 21, 1999
    Not to mention he's the man behind the much hyped "Black & White". That game is somewhat overhyped but it seems to be a modern classic, so I gather some of that clout will go into the creation of Fable. I can only hope the darn thing -- whenever it's ready -- will be good.

9. Rabid_Balding_Ewok

Rabid_Balding_Ewok Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 8, 2000
    And lets not forget another great Molyneux Xbox eclusive on the way, B.C. :) My only real problem with Fabel is that the game is going to be short, I think they said under 25 hours. That and they took out killing snotty nosed kids. Fallout has shown us the way, I demand the oppurtunity to disembowel 10 year old pickpockets. [face_devil] :p

-----signature-----
    "Rabid Balding Ewok, you make me sick.
    If there was an enemies list, you'd be on mine."
    [face_devil] [face_laugh] [face_devil] [face_laugh] [face_devil] [face_laugh]

:::*::(^^) :(^^) :::::::
    ::::::/::::^^:::::\ ::*::
    :::::/###-^^-##I :::::
    : *:.l##/(*)# (*)\\:::::
    :::/##(###.00#)#I ::::
    ::(___/#*#(XXX)/__) ::
    ::/000{{{{www}}}}\:: Ewoks Will Eat You!

10. Scott3eyez

Scott3eyez Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 1, 2001
    I haven't heard of either "Black and White" or "BC"...

25 hours does seem quite short though, but I suppose the replayability value (if it works well) could make up for it...

11. Rabid_Balding_Ewok

Aug 8, 2000
    B.C.
    [image=http://image.com.com/gamespot/images/2003/screen1/537533_20030523_screen004.jpg] [image=http://image.com.com/gamespot/images/2003/screen1/537533_20030523_screen022.jpg]

BC Impressions

And since this is a Fabel thread.....

[image=http://image.com.com/gamespot/images/2003/screen0/516688_20031003_screen016.jpg] [image=http://image.com.com/gamespot/images/2003/news/08/13/fable/fable_screen017.jpg] [image=http://image.com.com/gamespot/images/2003/news/08/13/fable/fable_screen013.jpg]
    :)

-----signature-----

12. Patrick Russell

Patrick Russell Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 9, 1998
    25 hours?

You're supposed to be able to follow your character from youth to old age, from what I've been reading about this thing for the past year or two. How do they condense this down into a 25 hour game?

I'd have expected them to do something a lot longer and more open-ended with this than what that 25 hour playtime would suggest. Kind of like Morrowind with even more meat to it.

My feeling is, they're running into trouble time-wise in terms of development schedules, and they're going to put out a truncated version of the game rather than spending an extra 6 months or so adding to the scope of the inhabitable world.

Or else, the 25 hour game time is an error and we're still getting the game we thought we'd be getting.

13. Aragorn327

Aragorn327 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 20, 2001
    25 hours is if you follow the game through the main plot, ignoring most of the side quests.

If you primarily (or only) do side quests, get married, start a family, the gameplay will go for hundreds of hours.

And the aging depends on what you do, I think. The more arcane and spelltype things you do, you gain wrinkles and look older. If you stay outside, doing strength acts, more brawn and youngish.

You don't actually die of old age...

14. Patrick Russell

Jul 9, 1998
    "If you primarily (or only) do side quests, get married, start a family, the gameplay will go for hundreds of hours"

Whew! Okay, I'm better now. ;)

If this is the case, and the non-linear approach is as involving as the main quest (as I felt was the case with Morrowind) then this game will be everything I'd hoped.

15. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    >>I'm betting so many of you have missed KOTOR for not getting one.<<

Nah, I think most people are wiating for the PC release.

Though, I'll admit Fable might have the potential to actually being a game worth getting on X-box, for what few there are.

16. portman_is_so_fine

portman_is_so_fine Jedi Master star 4

Apr 28, 2002
    I've heard over 90 hours.

17. Rabid_Balding_Ewok

Aug 8, 2000
    The 20-25 hours gameplay for the main quest has been refered to in a couple interviews. But then of course there is the side quest time that we'll have to tack onto that.

Heres teh unoffical faq. It's a collection of interviews the devs have given.

Found this tidbit about the aging process.

>>>Your hero's aging occurs in-between chapters. With each 'day' lasting roughly 48 minutes, you won't see the ageing process in real-time. Furthermore, if you fall in love (oh yes!) and decide to have children, the hassle of birth and nappy-changing is happily skipped over, again between chapters.<<<

-----signature-----

18. ezekiel22x

ezekiel22x Chosen One star 5

Aug 9, 2002
    Looks pretty rad, another worthy addition to Xbox's already great library of titles.

19. Not_Applicable

Not_Applicable Jedi Padawan star 4

Feb 15, 2002
    GamePro seemed to imply that using magic too much would result in an early death. Is that true or not? If true, I'd be mighty hesitant to try the arcane path (more so than I usually am in RPGs).

20. Patrick Russell

Jul 9, 1998
    With each 'day' lasting roughly 48 minutes

Well, now that's more like it!

Clearly, the non-linear approach to the game is likely to last a good long time, as a 25 hour game time would tend to equate to six months or a year's worth of "character time" (with sleep and all) and that's hardly going to allow sufficient time for the aging process to show itself.

This is back to sounding what it's sounded like to me all along... Morrowind in overdrive! ;)

21. Darth-Kutas

Darth-Kutas Jedi Youngling

Oct 9, 2003
    From the looks of it, this game is gonna be far better than Morrowind in my opinion.

22. DarthBobbalot

DarthBobbalot Jedi Knight star 5

Mar 5, 2002
    Im in an RPG kind of mood lately, so i thought id drop by fable's main site, and its pretty fun. You get to do evil things in a flash-type game thingie.
    Fable site

This game keeps looking more and more promising. I went to xbox.com and watched some trailers that werent there awhile ago and they just looked fricken awesome. I also went to the forum on it and it still doesnt have a direct response to its release.
    Does anyone here have any insider reports about when its scheduled? Xbox.com says summer, but i dont think i wanna wait taht long...

23. Leto II

Leto II Jedi Padawan star 6

Jan 23, 2000
    Someone interesting is onboard as co-composer for the game (taken from IGN Xbox):

Danny Elfman Does Fable

As if we needed even more reasons to want this game.

March 18, 2004 - Microsoft Game Studios announced today that Danny Elfman, now even more well-known for his skills as a composer (Batman, The Nightmare Before Christmas) as his leadership of Boingo (once Oingo Boingo), has written the theme music for Fable.

I'm not sure who with an Xbox wouldn't already know all about Fable, but in case you haven't been following so far: Fable is a highly ambitious RPG-adventure from renowned game designer Peter Molyneux. Rather than the rather stiff character development of a traditional RPG, in Fable your every action affects your character's skills, personality, even appearance. Your Fable character will grow from childhood, into adulthood and eventual old age. The world of the game promises to match the living, breathing quality of your main character. Ambitious? Oh yes.

We'll get you more Fable news as soon as it comes in.

24. Miin_Bodenna

Miin_Bodenna Jedi Youngling star 3

Feb 7, 2002
    *drools* with this, Halo 2, etc etc....xbox is teh ultimate power! :p

25. DarthBobbalot

DarthBobbalot Jedi Knight star 5

Mar 5, 2002
    The official box art is out, and i dun think it looks as great as some of the fan box art that has been made.

Official: [image=http://www.teamxbox.com/images/games/ss/182/1070427320.jpg]

NeXuS' box art: In the Middle of the page

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.