main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Big Blue Box's *Fable*

Discussion in 'Archive: Games' started by portman_is_so_fine, Oct 8, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dark_charlie

dark_charlie Jedi Youngling star 4

Apr 18, 2004
    yeah, but morrowind is boring as hell.

2. Patrick Russell

Patrick Russell Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 9, 1998
    I didn't find Morrowind boring at all. I found it to be an excellent RPG with a lot less scripting and flash-for-the-sake-of-flash than a lot of RPGs I've played.

Fable was a lot of flash over substance, in the end. I'm sorry but a 20 hour RPG? My character ought to just be getting interesting by that point if it's a well-made RPG. And, if it's going to be that short, there had damned better be a lot more replay value to it than "Oh, let's see what an evil character is animated like..." Unfortunately, that's about all I'm finding on my second play through.

And it's not like I rushed through the game the first time either. Hell, I must have taken a good half-hour or 45 minutes just running that damned race to the Demon Door at the Guild. This game has some nice flash on the surface, and it's a fun little game for what it is, but it's hardly the epic RPG that we were told it was going to be.

Give me Morrowind any day of the week. Though not the upcoming sequel, apparently, because word is that they're chopping it down in length to appeal to the short-attention-span set.

3. Rabid_Balding_Ewok

Rabid_Balding_Ewok Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 8, 2000
    Hehe, but Dark Charlie your the one who liked Baldurs Gate: Dark Alliance over the real Baldurs Gate because it had less reading and better graphics. So that explains your feelings on Morrowind. ;)

-----signature-----
    "Rabid Balding Ewok, you make me sick.
    If there was an enemies list, you'd be on mine."
    [face_devil] [face_laugh] [face_devil] [face_laugh] [face_devil] [face_laugh]

:::*::(^^) :(^^) :::::::
    ::::::/::::^^:::::\ ::*::
    :::::/###-^^-##I :::::
    : *:.l##/(*)# (*)\\:::::
    :::/##(###.00#)#I ::::
    ::(___/#*#(XXX)/__) ::
    ::/000{{{{www}}}}\:: Ewoks Will Eat You!

4. DarkSithDrew

DarkSithDrew Jedi Master star 4

Apr 24, 2004
    how do you get by the demond door in the heros's guild? It says my path is dark but my alingment is as high as it will go!

5. DarkSithDrew

Apr 24, 2004
    [face_laugh] it meant a latarn light!

6. Patrick Russell

Jul 9, 1998
    Okay, so I'm futzing around with Fable again today, and I'm trying to remember where I heard about a set of legendary armor that you can acquire either during or after the "Nostro's Armor" quest in Lychfield graveyard. I know that you're supposed to find all the pieces of Nostro's armor and give them to him as part of the quest, but I read somewhere (and I now can't remember for the life of me where I read it) that there's something you can do in Nostro's tomb to actually get a really good set of wearable armor.

Anyone else know anything about this?

7. Darth_Invidious

Darth_Invidious Force Ghost star 6

Jun 21, 1999
    ...and nearly 19 hours after I began, and with my boy having the age of 55 due to too much magic usage, I'm done. And I feel so unsatisfied. I think this game coulda been so much more. Maybe in the way you could've customized your character a bit (would it have been so difficult to choose Hero's gender before starting the story?) or having real-time aging instead of magic-abuse aging. Or having wives that actually gave you children as time went by. Or even giving you more of a choice as to where you wanted to go, not have certainly designed maps that were set from Point A to Point B.

I'm hearing so much about how you could go anywhere and do anything in Morrowmind, but I didn't like the game the first few minutes I started playing it. It looked ugly, and I have a problem with ugly-looking games. I wasn't too keen on the whole FPS P.O.V. either. I might be tempted to give it another chance but...I might just rather wait for JADE EMPIRE. ;)

8. DarkSithDrew

Apr 24, 2004
    I agree, i thought the game could be MUCH betterand i was really disapointed...REALLY,REALLY disapointed. The game is okay to play though, but i recomend it as a rental. thank goodnes i rented it first :) or I would be mad I lost my money on this.

Im still gonna favor games like final fantsy. No only do they have great characters (most of the time) but the have hours of secrets already in a very long game. Not to mention great storyline, graphics and gameplay. Stick woth the classics people!

9. ZethstaBane

ZethstaBane Jedi Youngling star 1

Aug 24, 2002

Two questions:

Question #1: How on earth do you pull that stupid sword (huw's sword or something like that) out on that little hill above the Temple of Avo where all of those other NPC's are trying too. I maxed out everything on Strength and still couldn't pull it out.

Question #2: Is it true that if you donate a specific amount of money to the temple of Avo (I heard it was 34 thousand) you turn young again. I did that and didn't look any different, not in any way I noticed anyways, my hair was still white.

10. JEDI-SOLO

JEDI-SOLO Force Ghost star 6

Feb 12, 2002
    I am really loving this game right now. I just love being evil.

11. Patrick Russell

Jul 9, 1998
    Dunno about Temple donations, but to pull the sword out of the stone you need to max out strength and health and toughness.

12. dark_charlie

Apr 18, 2004
    im gonna get da game tomorrow cus it only comes out tomorrow here in portugal.

13. pgoodyea

pgoodyea Jedi Youngling star 1

Mar 5, 2004
    I am really enjoying this game. At first I liked it for the gameplay, but after immersing myself into the story and universe I appreciate the game more. I read every book I can find to really get to know Albion and its history. I think people are judging this game too quickly. It is not as good as KOTOR, but I like it for different reasons.

Anybody got any tips for the Arena?

Also, where can I find or purchase a lantern to open the Demon Door at the guild?

14. LordMajinn

LordMajinn Jedi Youngling star 1

Jun 19, 2004
    Well before you go into the arena, stock up on a LOT of health potions. You'll definetly need them and get the magic power called slow time. I heard that power works very well in the arena. This is my advice to you and I hope it helps.

15. dark_charlie

Apr 18, 2004
    damn it!! the game isnt in stores yet. damn this country.

16. pgoodyea

Mar 5, 2004
    Thanks for the tips on the arena. I beat it last night. I made it through all seven waves of enemies until the scorpion, which rocked me the first few tries until I figured out how to hurt the damm thing. Thankfully, the game does not restart you at the beginning of the quest if you die. I ran out of health potion and resurrection viles, so I was dieing a lot, but the game kept on restarting me at the scorpion. That is good game design, I was not about to sit there and play through all seven waves of enemies again.

I granted mercy on Whisper and granted her life. What happens if you execute her in the arena?

Does anyone know how to get back into the arena after you finish the quest? I want to buy some armor that was for sale at the vender in the arena.

I have a ton of cash burning a hole in my Dark Leather trousers and I want to spend it on some shiny new armor. Where is the best place to go to get some good armor with a rating of 300+?

17. DarthBobbalot

DarthBobbalot Jedi Knight star 5

Mar 5, 2002
    I think that once you beat teh arena, lady grey invites you into north bowerstone. Theres a shop in there that sells some master weapons, and i think that theres some armor there too. Its good stuff. I think its in the yellow area of n. bowerstone.
    Or you could go into the guild and theres a shop in there that sells plate armor, so thats the best kind of stuff you can get.

18. DarthBud

DarthBud Jedi Youngling star 2

Jan 16, 2003
    Its good but not as good as I thought it'd would be. Its missing something, because its trying to do do too much. I like it, but not as much as KOTOR. I beat KOTOR over 20 times. I'll go through Fable one more time just to get the good ending, then I'm through with it.

19. Theron

Theron Jedi Master star 4

Oct 23, 2000
    I granted mercy on Whisper and granted her life. What happens if you execute her in the arena?

Basically everyone congratulates you for winning the Arena but askes you why you had to kill Whisper. And then their is Whispers brother who wants revenge.

20. pgoodyea

Mar 5, 2004
    I can't wait to play as a bad guy. I am going to execute everyone in every town. Be afraid, VERY afraid!

...thanks for the tips on the armor. I didn't know about the shops in N. Bowerstone. Also, where can I purchase a black rose?

21. Darth_Invidious

Darth_Invidious Force Ghost star 6

Jun 21, 1999
    You can't execute everyone in every town. There's the matter of the ever-spawning guards. No matter how hard you try there will always be more waiting for you. Still, trying to make a ghost town out of a peaceful village is heinous enough as it is.

There is a trick involving the Arena you can do to level up your character indefinitely. Beat the first 7 rounds, do a hero save, then leave. Do not pass go, do not battle the scorpion nor collect $200. When you leave the arena and come back, you're gonna have to start from round one. Repeat over and over and eventually with all the XP you'll gather you should be able to master (max out) body, skill and will. It will probably take about a dozen or more round trips, and it might eventually bore you by the fifth time, but you could conceivably finish off the Arena as a veritable Uber Hero.

22. Handmaiden Yané

Handmaiden Yané Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 15, 2002
    I love RPGs in general, but Fable sounds so awesome. :D

23. DarthBobbalot

DarthBobbalot Jedi Knight star 5

Mar 5, 2002
    Its pretty good. Its not as good as it was told to be a couple years back, but thats before when they were just dreaming about all the great features that they wanted to put in. When Xbox 2 comes out, im expecting to have something that will leave everyone with their mouths hanging open.

24. Tarzimp

Tarzimp Jedi Youngling

Mar 15, 1999
    Also, where can I purchase a black rose?

Trying to marry Lady Grey? From the S Bowerstone entrance into N Bowerstone just run forward and the building where the road splits into two parts is the shop that sells black roses.

Anyway, I got Fable a couple of days ago and have been doing every side quest that is available. Even doing every task I could find the game is rather short. (Side quests, demon doors, housing, polygamy) I may have taken longer to beat Doom III. I thought it was pretty good, but not great.

25. dark_charlie

Apr 18, 2004
    i got the game monday but i was banned till now.

can someone answer some questions i have?

1-how do i get into the arena after i finish the game?

2-if i continue playing the game after i finish it will there ever be new quests?

3-what do you do after you finish?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.