main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Big Daddy Will Drill You Hard in a Very Uncomfortable Place: BioShock 2 (2009)

Discussion in 'Archive: Games' started by Leto II, Mar 11, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. chiss_man

chiss_man Jedi Master star 6

Jul 1, 2002
    Anything electric worked wonders when I fought Big Daddies. They were a constant headache early on in the game but by midpoint they became much more manageable, probably because I had far more toys to work with.

2. Leto II

Leto II Jedi Padawan star 6

Jan 23, 2000
    Side-note-thing, but:

My goal is to meet Gore Verbinski one day, so he can sign my The Daredevils 7-inch record where he plays guitar.

Verbinski is not so much to blame for Pirates 2 and 3 as Elliot and Rossio are. Those scripts didn't make a damn bit of sense on a narrative or logical level, and really set up these very self-important themes that ended up coming to no fruition. Technically they're very well done, and I'm sure Verbinski will do a good job with BioShock.

What I'm nervous about is the story, and more importantly, the set design. They're going to have to work very hard to capture the look of Rapture, and frankly I'm not sure if they can with traditional sets. This might be better served as a 300-style greenscreen movie.

I'm glad he touched on the rating issue and the Little Sisters; I hope he sticks to his word on that.

"Would You Kindly...??" Boom. There's your tagline.

3. Vengance1003

Vengance1003 Jedi Knight star 5

Mar 4, 2006
    Sounds potentially great!

4. Leto II

Jan 23, 2000
  5. JediKnight20043

JediKnight20043 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Sep 18, 2004
    Bah, the first Bioshock was aweful. I got so bored halfway through that I just never played on it again.

I certainly shant be playing the second.

6. Reynar_Tedros

Reynar_Tedros Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jul 3, 2006
    [image=http://www.penny-arcade.com/images/2008/20080523.jpg]

7. odj_310388

odj_310388 Jedi Knight star 5

May 30, 2002
    o_O How can you not like Bioshock? Tis an awesome game.

8. Sn4tcH

Sn4tcH Jedi Master star 4

Oct 22, 2004
    I bet you hate puppies and kittens too.

9. jangoisadrunk

jangoisadrunk Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 7, 2005
    I lol'ed

I really liked Bioshock. I wish there were more non-military themed first-person shooters.

10. SoloCommand

SoloCommand Manager Emeritus & GTA Coruscant Developer star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 15, 2001
  11. TwiLekJedi

TwiLekJedi Pretty Ex-Mod star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 14, 2001
    QFT
    I barely play anything anymore because I refuse to get the military-themed ones.

12. zacparis

zacparis VIP star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 1, 2003
    Bumparoo

13. Leto II

Jan 23, 2000
    Back when I started playing BioShock for the very first time, I planned on doing some major harvesting, but then just couldn't. At that moment, I realized BioShock was something more than special.

I do hope we get to seriously explore the around the outside of Rapture. That was something I always wanted to see. After seeing the the very beginning moments of Rapture when you see the Blue Whale swim between the buildings of the city, I always wanted some level or area that would let you go outside, especially once you got to be a Big Daddy. It would be really amazing to be engaged with a Big Daddy encounter, and be suddenly blindsided by a great white, or something.

Judging by the trailers so far, I wouldn't exactly call Rosie "thin," so there must be a new version of Big Daddy? For all we know, Dr. What'sherface is still holed up in her lair working on advanced Daddies. It's been a while since I've listened to the diaries, but the Daddies were over-ADAMed Rapture citizens, right? She'd probably still have a wealth of nutbars to pick from, even after the destruction of Fontaine. I can't remember if there was a vetting process to the Daddy selection or not.

I'm more than willing to give the 2K Marin creative team a chance -- it's still way too early to jump to too many conclusions. I loved the first game dearly, so here's to hoping they can at least match the awesomeness that was the first one. And here's a picture from a Google search that pretty well follows my thinking while playing the first game.

14. JediMatteus

JediMatteus Jedi Grand Master star 5

Sep 16, 2008
    Bioshock 1 was great.

15. Leto II

Jan 23, 2000
    9.1 at IGN.

Although an outstanding score, it doesn't seem to have scored as high as other giant games that have been released recently. I'm glad to see it turned out well, although the review says it's not as awe-inspiring as the first game. Guess we'll see soon. If you ask me, the underwater pieces look pretty amazing, and I still think the graphics are rather stunning here and there. The new locations aren't familiar to me, because it looks like it's showing a different side of Rapture.

I'm continually amazed by how many people have NOT played BioShock, nor ever given it any interest. I'm not sure that there's ever been a more atmospheric setting than Rapture. Trust me, people -- explore this series.

16. Darth_Invidious

Darth_Invidious Force Ghost star 6

Jun 21, 1999
    I played the first BioShock and sincerely wasn't looking forward to a sequel. The game's so awesome that to me, it just doesn't need any sequel. I'm guessing a lot of people skipped it over and haven't bothered to pick it up now that you can get it for a song simply because a shooter without an online MP component is simply not worth picking up. Idiots.

17. BLemelisk

BLemelisk Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 19, 2003
    Don't know how I feel about Bioshock 2 yet.

I loved the first, so I'll definitely give the second a chance.

But I heard the pipe-fitting minigame has been removed [face_not_talking]

18. Leto II

Jan 23, 2000
    Also, I seriously don't get this weird pattern with some games nowadays, where a sequel has to have some kind of drastic overhaul for it to be considered any good. BioShock 1 is a great game, so why would they need to completely change it? The tweaks and upgrades in this title are done the way all games should, they make sense for the story. Mass Effect 2 didn't do this, by and large; but what changes were made, were done for the better. BioShock is still one of the most unique shooters we have this gen.

The way I see most of IGN's scores is that, if a game earns 9.5 or above, it is more or less legendary (i.e., people will refer to it for years to come). I think the original BioShock approached this position and -- frankly -- any game that scores a 9.0 or above is going to be an excellent game. I think the 9.0-9.49 range is a bit of a blur, though I get the differences, even though we're talking literally tenths of points.

19. JediMatteus

JediMatteus Jedi Grand Master star 5

Sep 16, 2008
    hey i will play anything 8.0 or above

20. JEDI-SOLO

JEDI-SOLO Force Ghost star 6

Feb 12, 2002
    So is it any good?

21. SithStarSlayer

SithStarSlayer Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 23, 2003
    I've been waiting on feedback...
    doesn't look like anybody has anything to say.

Either way, that's bad.

22. The Great No One

The Great No One Jedi Grand Master star 8

Jun 4, 2005
    i think it's more people are overwhelmed with gaming goodness right now. i mean, anyone that picked up mass effect 2 likely STILL hasn't stopped playing it yet. doesn't leave much room for anything else, really.

23. SithStarSlayer

Oct 23, 2003
    Yeah, I'm still pounding away on the new COD and just finished Darksiders...
    I just switched from 360 to PS3 and still haven't opened CreedII or ME2.
    I'm saving those for vacation next month. :eek:

Still, I thought for sure that the BioShock peeps would have posted something by now.
    Anything...

24. The Great No One

The Great No One Jedi Grand Master star 8

Jun 4, 2005
    i haven't even seen it for sale, actually. anywhere. so i don't really know what's up honestly.

25. SithStarSlayer

Oct 23, 2003
    Hmmm... that might explain things.
    I thought it was set for release on Feb 9th?

That's why I waited a few days to see what the community had to say...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.