main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Big is NOT beautiful...

Discussion in 'Archive: The Senate Floor' started by The_Emperors_Foot, Jul 18, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. The_Emperors_Foot

The_Emperors_Foot Jedi Youngling star 3

Jul 16, 2000
    I'm sorry, but I don't understand why people (mostly women) are told that being overweight can be beautiful - it isn't! Obesity is the one thing that kills the most people annually here in the United States, more than drunk driving or any car accidents for that matter, more than drug abuse, more than anything. Millions of people each year are told that you can stuff your face with McDonald's and other greasy, fattening fast-food, and you can still be "beautiful." This attitude is wrong, much too polite, and is an absolute lie! Is smoking beautiful? What about snorting heroin? Drinking yourself to oblivion every night, and vomiting in the backseat of your friend's car? All of these are actually less of a problem, healthwise, but we are told that doing any one of these things is repulsive, and that you a bad person for doing these things!

Why isn't obesity treated with the same attitude? Should it be?

:confused:

(Please understand that I'm asking a reasonable question, and I'm not trying to be inflamitory or insulting, so please, don't misconstrue otherwise.)

2. KnightWriter

KnightWriter Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 6, 2001
    I'm sorry, but I don't understand why people (mostly women) are told that being overweight can be beautiful -

I don't understand where that message is sent, at least not in the United States. The message these days seems to be that thin is the only way to go.

Also, I'm wondering how familiar you are with eating disorders.

3. MadMardigan

MadMardigan Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 8, 2001
    big is beautiful

Yeah who wouldn't want to live in a sugar coated fantasy world? Clearly this is just some PC self esteem wishful thinking boost. Put Natalie Portman and Camryn Manheim in a lineup...99% would choose Portman.

4. The_Emperors_Foot

Jul 16, 2000
    I do understand that many people do indeed suffer from eating disorders (in both genders), and I am not unsympathetic for them. But obesity kills millions annually, and as I said, is this nation's leading cause of death - and there are more obese people without any sort of disorder than obese people who do indeed suffer from one.

What I'm asking is why is there an attitude that "Hey, yeah, you probably should be thin... but if you're not, no problem!" I'm sorry, but there is a problem. Drug-abusers are scorned, drunk-drivers are [rightfully] hated, and if you hang out with people who smoke -- *gasp* -- you're in the WRONG CROWD!

I'm just wondering - why isn't obesity looked at in the same light? Why were parents "outraged" when a notice from a school informed them that being overweight is a serious problem, and that their overweight children were in danger? Why was this viewed as insulting, instead of helpful or showing concern for the students by the school?

EDIT: Just added a word or two...

5. KnightWriter

KnightWriter Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 6, 2001

Why was this viewed as insulting

Some people are sensitive about their weight (or their children's weight), for a variety of reasons. To some, it's no one else's business but their own.

I realize obesity is a problem, but I'm much more concerned about the onslaught of advertising in our culture that says, "thin is best" or "thin is the only way to be."

6. Red-Seven

Red-Seven Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 21, 1999
    there is a difference between aesthetic taste + appreciation (big is beautiful) and medical conditions (obesity).

I hardly think there is a culture in America that aesthetically appreciates larger people SO MUCH that it causes obesity. The contrary is overwhelmingly true.

7. Master-Jedi-Smith

Master-Jedi-Smith Jedi Padawan star 4

May 26, 2002
    Is too thin beautiful?

Latre! :D

8. JediLeiaSolo

JediLeiaSolo Jedi Youngling star 2

Jan 17, 2001
    I think you're missing the point of Big is Beautiful. The point of the whole movement, or my understanding of it, is that some people are large and not obese by any means; their bodies are just healthier at a larger size. There are a lot of factors at work (like larger bone structure). Growing up in WI, there were several girls I went to school with who were 6 feet tall and more and a lot of people called them fat. In actuality, they were healthy for their size. I should weigh between 150 and 170 lbs. for my height, and at that weight I was a size 13, and I was very healthy. I'm underweight now, and about the size "society" dictates a woman should be.

I heard about a man who has competed in the IronMan and he's huge, but he gets regular check-ups and is quite healthy. I believe it's more about accepting yourself at a healthy size, than starving yourself to be what society would like. Anyone who is obese and unhealthy is not beautiful, and I don't believe that is the point whoever launched this movement was trying to make.

All the best,
    JediLeiaSolo

9. Ramius

Ramius Jedi Youngling star 3

Jun 8, 2002
    people (mostly women) are told that being overweight can be beautiful

That's wierd. I haven't heard that before. Can't you be overweight but not be obese? I don't think we should look at obese people the same way as we view drug addicts or drunk drivers, because usually drawing attention to the problem only causes fat people to eat more. But I do agree, obesity is a big health problem.

Why were parents "outraged" when a notice from a school informed them that being overweight is a serious problem, and that their overweight children were in danger?

If I had a kid who was fat, I probably wouldn't need the school to tell me. What I find funny is that the schools also notified some parents that their kids are too thin. Aren't lots of little kids thin?

10. Ariana Lang

Ariana Lang Jedi Youngling star 5

Oct 10, 1999
    One: I've never heard that.

Two: My father is overweight. It's not a choice. It's an illness. It's how he deals with stress -- he eats. I don't know if his mother instilled it in him ::coughIthinksocough:: or what but he can't control it. He is always so humiliated about the way he looks. Whenever I say I don't want to bring friends over to my house (because it's too far out of the way) he thinks it's because I'm embarrassed because he's overweight.

Most people who are overweight don't have a choice. It's a disease. An addiction. It's not like they're just lazy bums or something. My father commutes an hour to work and stays at the office 17 hours a day.

And I agree -- big does not necessarily equal overweight. Some people are just born stockier than others.

11. Anakin2001

Anakin2001 Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 13, 2000
    Do any of you know any old fat people? I doubt it.

I think Americans are the most overweight people in the world. The reasons why? Well firstly we have an abundance of foods and choices and we're constantly bombarded with tempting foods to eat on TV, radio newspapers, magazines, billboards, etc.

Our technology has made it hard to get any exercise. We drive everywhere and don't walk anymore. We have remotes for everything so that we don't even have to get up to turn the lights on or off. Why we don't even know how to operate the TV or stereo without the remote control.

Nutritional education at a very early age plus a fun exercise program or sport is essential to weight control.

Oh and they should take out the s in fast food to read "fat" food.

12. Ariana Lang

Ariana Lang Jedi Youngling star 5

Oct 10, 1999
    My grandmother. 78 and overweight. (Hey, that rhymes!)

13. The_Emperors_Foot

Jul 16, 2000
    As I've said, I do understand and feel much sympathy for those who do have an illness or disorder, but I think there are some misconceptions here:

"I don't think we should look at obese people the same way as we view drug addicts or drunk drivers..."

I'm not saying we should compare the two in relation to how they impact society (crime) or anything like that, but I'm saying that people should stop taking all comments about their weight as insults and recognize that obesity is a much more serious problem physically than either of the things mentioned above.

"Most people who are overweight don't have a choice."

No, I think most overweight people do, and it's the lesser portion of them who suffer from disorders. This is in part the fault of technology, I believe. Many people's jobs consist of sitting at a desk and typing on a computer. When you sit around, you get no exercise. Also, people will tend to get bored, and when that happens, they get something to snack on while they work. Doing this, day in and day out, will create weight problems. Then, when they get home, they obviously want to relax. To most people, jumping on the StairMaster is not relaxing, but plopping in front of the TV with a slice or two of pizza is. Again, when this happens every day...

Then, on top of this, people are told that "big is beautiful," so that their self-esteem doesn't plundge. But that creates the false impression in someone's mind that they can continue eating and eating and eating, and be as gluttonous as they like, then never exercise, and still be beautiful. This is the problem!

Should we stop being so PC in this area so as not to hurt people's feelings, and tell them the truth as opposed to this lie?

:confused:

14. Jedi_Xen

Jedi_Xen Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 26, 2001
    Yes true, these are the same people who I see park as close to Kmart as possible.

People also need to realize that Diet Soda is not a miracle water that reduces weight. My best friends wife works at a fast food restraunt, and these big people come in and buy the 2 helpings of 10 Chicken Nuggets, Waffle Fries, a desert, not to mention they supersize this meal, but heres the kicker, they get a Diet Dr Pepper. Sorry but you don't need a Died Dr Pepper, you need to exercise more eat less and park as far away from the building as possible. And for heavens sakes, realize that Diet Soda wont help you lose weight without work on your part.

15. Aurra_Sting

Aurra_Sting Jedi Youngling star 1

Jun 19, 2002
    I really would like to know who is being told that big is beautiful. The only place I've ever heard this is in a Queen song and from this thread. The overwhelming majority of the media tells people that anorexia is beutiful. Okay, so the message isn't nearly as prevalent as it was a few years ago, but I'm really not sure what the issue is here, to be honest. I think if anything, this message is just the backlash to the idea that too thin is beautiful.
    I think rather than people saying that obese people are gorgeous, this message is saying that people slightly above their healthy weight are beautiful, just as those people slightly below their healthy weight have been viewed as beautiful for years.

16. Lord Bane

Lord Bane Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 26, 1999
    Fat bottomed girls, they make the rocking world go round. ;)

But having a fat bottom doesn't mean being fat - look at the liner notes for the Queen album "Jazz" that the song finds its influence from. All those naked fat bottomed girls on that are part of their publicity stunt nude bicycle race are shapely and some slender, but they've got birthin' hips and cushin' for the pushin', but aren't fat.

Man, I hope I don't get banned for that...

17. Aurra_Sting

Aurra_Sting Jedi Youngling star 1

Jun 19, 2002
    Ah...thanks for clearing that up... :)

18. Darth Geist

Darth Geist Jedi Master star 5

Oct 23, 1999
    "My grandmother. 78 and overweight."

Seriously? Mine too, until she passed away a year ago--but she was healthy and active right up until the end.

About a year ago, I dated a girl most people would consider overweight, but she was still pretty in her own way.

19. Master-Jedi-Smith

May 26, 2002
    It all depends on who you ask.

Big could be beautiful to some, and not to others.

The health concern is a whole other issue.

Big=Beautiful (to some, but not to the overall majority of our society)

Big=/=Healthy (to most, especially if you are extremely overweight)

Thin=Beautiful (to most in our society today, but in other eras it used to be beautiful to be heavy. Plus it was a way to show how well off you were. You were not starving.)

Thin=/=Healthy (to some, unless you are extremely thin, then it is as bad as being overweight)

And Lord Bane, can you ban yourself? :p

20. Darth_Pseudomorph

Darth_Pseudomorph Jedi Youngling star 1

May 30, 2002
    "Most people who are overweight don't have a choice. It's a disease. An addiction"

Even facing addition, we ALWAYS have a choice. I know (from first hand), depending on the level of addiction, it can be extroadinarily difficult...but can make the choice to give in or resist...it is possible.

21. The_Emperors_Foot

Jul 16, 2000
    "I really would like to know who is being told that big is beautiful... I'm really not sure what the issue is here, to be honest."

The issue is this: Because our society is told in magazines and TV that "ultra-thin" (I for one don't like the "skin-and-bones" girls) is what we should consider beautiful, heavy women may feel bad about their appearance and, consequently, themselves. So now, PC people who don't want to appear rude or unsympathetic are telling heavy women not to worry about their weight problem, and that they're also "beautiful." However, the fact is is that this is untrue. No, being just skin-and-bones isn't beautiful, and people are realizing that... But what they're not realizing or acting upon is that being fat is actually worse! People are now being told, "Hey, so what, you're fat? You're still beautiful!," so as not to be seen as rude or intolerant of fat people. NO! Being heavy is one of the worst things you could do to yourself, healthwise, and is responsible for more deaths in this country each year than anything else, perhaps because of this ignorant attitude. If we tell people that smoking is repulsive and is a reflection of your character as a person, why is a weight problem any different?

22. Master-Jedi-Smith

May 26, 2002
    So we should start saying, "Big is butt ugly."?

23. cydonia

cydonia Jedi Knight star 5

Jun 6, 2001
    It's all about Self Actualization and Oprah. I know exactly what Emperor's Foot is talking about, but it's a difficult opinion to express, perhaps.

24. Java_Jedi

Java_Jedi Jedi Padawan star 4

May 20, 2002
    I know many women that are "big and beautiful"...

To be obese and not take care of oneself is one thing. To be Full figured and have pride in yourself is something totally different.

Not all women were meant to be a size 6. I a person is healthy but large why should they not be treated with respect? What one person defines as fat another might see as wonderful. The point is to feel good about who you are and be comfortable in your own skin, not be what other think you should.

On another note.. not all over weight ppl stuff their faces! Many eat very healthy diets. They are "bigger" by nature. Need I bring you the renisance? The larger the woman the more the men wanted her.

25. Master-Jedi-Smith

May 26, 2002
    That's what I'm talking about JJ. :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.