main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Big is NOT beautiful...

Discussion in 'Archive: The Senate Floor' started by The_Emperors_Foot, Jul 18, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BoutyPunkrAurra

BoutyPunkrAurra Jedi Grand Master star 3

Sep 21, 2001
    why is beauty such a huge issue, anyway? alot of people are obese because of their lifestyle. why not support them and encourage them to change instead of saying theyre ugly and worthless bc of the way they LOOK. what about who they are as PEOPLE? they could be beautiful INSIDE you know. alot of overweight people are more beautiful on the inside than you will EVER be on the outside.

2. son_of_the_tear

son_of_the_tear Jedi Master star 5

Jun 23, 1999
    In answer to the first post, since I have not read the entire thread:

To me at least, there is nothing sexier than a dame smoking a cigarette.

Being dead serious. Not talking about chain smoking, lighting one up with the end of the other.

Just a smoker. The way a woman holds it. The way she takes it in. the way she exhales. I love a woman who smokes. It's dead sexy in my opinion.

And to the other question, being obese is not the same as being overweight. I like allt ypes of women. And I also like girls with chub. Some meat on their bones. Something to grab on to.

I dig chubby girls.

3. Obi-HaCoR

Obi-HaCoR Jedi Knight star 5

Jul 13, 2002
    The whole Big is NOT beautiful is your own opinion. I'm sure their are many guys out there that like themselves plus size woman. I know there are. I think when people say "Big is Beautiful", I think it's true in some case. I will admit that in some cases Big is NOT beautiful. If your a plus size woman that doesn't hold herself in a respectable manner and is just a bum and lives her life terrible, then I definitly don't find Big Beautiful at all. I think it all depends on how you hold yourself up as a person and I think that's what that comment "Big is Beautiful" tries to tell a lot of woman. They yes, Big can be beautiful as long as you hold yourself correctly. If present yourself to others as a fun, loving, responsible, sensible person that can hold herself, then yeah I find that very beautiful. If your stuffing your face with Big Mac's at home and not living to the best of your abilities and let things just happen, then No, Big is Not Beautiful.

Plus size woman get picked on all the time for being big or how they look and it's something I don't see as right. They say "Big is Beautiful" to give plus size woman more confidence then what some have already, because of the media and people around them saying "skinny" is the way to go. To an extent I do think Big is beautiful depending on how you carry yourself as a human being.

Look at your surroundings, Barbie dolls are all skinny. They don't represent the majority of the community. Did you know that that an AVERAGE size woman wears a size 14-16??? Not many people know that because media pushes for wearing sizes like 0-2 and other small size. They force the issue down our throat that Big is Not beautiful. Speaking of a Barbie doll, I am happy to announce that my mother is a plus size woman, and she and her friend have created the very first.............Full Figured fashion doll. They call their company "Big Beautiful Dolls" thier the same hieght as a Barbie doll but not skinny like her. Let me tell you.......there is a big demand for them because someone is taking the time to show that Big is beautiful.

Plus size people are brought down by the way Media protrays them as disgusting or not beautiful. When in fact it's not the case. I think it all matters on how you hold yourself as a person and represent yourself to others.

If anyone is interested in ordering a full figured fashion doll, you can go to Yahoo and type in "Big Beautiful Dolls" in the search option and you will find the web site on where to see and order the dolls. If you prefer to PM me, I will send you all a link tot he site. If your not itnerested in ordering anything, just check out the site at least. See what people are saying. Here's a link to the site for you to check out if your interested in ordering.

Big Beautiful Dolls, Inc

In my opinion once again to close this. Big IS Beautiful, depending on how you hold yourself as a person.

May The Force Be With You,
    Obi-HaCoR

4. Inari_Icewalker

Inari_Icewalker Jedi Youngling star 2

May 23, 2001
    Marilyn Monroe: Siren, actress, fashion plate, and...

Proudly size 16!

5. sharkdawg

sharkdawg Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 16, 2000
    But she wasn't fat, at least from the pictures I've seen.

6. ferelwookie

ferelwookie Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 4, 2001
    She was a bit "chubby" by Hollywood's standards today. And she really wasn't that "buxom" from what I've seen either. Amazing what good lighting and a airbrush can do, eh? ;)

I don't really prefer very heavy woman (200lbs. +, let's say). But I also am not attactive to extremely skinny flat-chested women either...say Kate Moss, or the Ally McBeal stick, I mean chick. ;)

It's never been much of an issue for me. But, having thought about it, I guess I tend to go for women with a little more meat on their bones...not Hutt-like, but somewhere between the two extremes. You gotta have something to hold on to. :D

This past year, my wife was pregnant...I was not at all turned off by her like this. She was still my wife. And that's what it's really about, the PERSON. Looks and figures fade with time, and eventually all of these "pretty people" may have to actually develop PERSONALITIES!!! When I was younger, I guess looks meant a BIT more, but I was never really hung up on that. I think the older you get the less you care about that, and the more you are concerned with intellgence, wit, and companionship. Besides, who's gonna want to b*** Cindy Crawford when she's 83?! :p

7. gwaernardel

gwaernardel Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 5, 2001
    People often cite the size 16 thing. Dress sizes have changed quite a bit from Monroe's days. As the average weight of women increases, designers tend to make the requirements for the plus size higher and higher. Her actual measurements:

Height: 5 feet, 5½ inches
    Weight: 118-140 pounds
    Bust: 35-37 inches
    Waist: 22-23 inches
    Hips: 35-36 inches
    Bra size: 36D

Just thought I'd clarify. :)

8. TreeCave

TreeCave Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 28, 2001
    140 pounds is considered high for an actress or model at a height of 5'9 nowadays.

Marilyn looked quite hippy in Some Like it Hot. No way around it, she had hips. But she put the weight on in the right places - hips and breasts instead of the waist. So she always had a feminine figure, even as her weight vacillated, and never looked just plain dumpy.

I think she was a good example of what a healthy, slim woman looks like. I don't object to anyone being encouraged to be THAT sort of slim. It's the slimmer-than-nature-ever-intended crap that bothers me.

9. darthmomm

darthmomm Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 16, 2001
    If MArylin Monroe were to try to get into show business today...she would be told she was too fat.

Dispute me. I dare ya. :D

10. chibiangi

chibiangi Jedi Master star 4

Jun 16, 2002
    No crap, Darthmom. She would be told to drop 25-30 pounds on the spot (if she weighed 140).

11. TreeCave

Jul 28, 2001
    Look, Carrie Fisher was told by George Lucas that she had to lose 10 pounds by the time filming started on ANH. She said later that she only lost 5, and honestly thought she would get to the set, they'd put her on a scale and tell her, "Never mind, we have another actress on standby, you can go home."

Just a few years ago, Lucas won an award for hiring so many females, particularly in positions of power, at Lucasfilm. Perhaps this was in penance for acting like all the other sexist jerks of the time when it came to Carrie.

By the way, Harrison Ford frequently had a paunch while playing Han Solo. He lost weight specifically for his shirtless scene in RAIDERS, but most of the rest of the time during those years, he had a beer belly. George had no problem with that.

Sorry if I'm offending anyone who thinks Lucas can do no wrong. I'd like to think he learned, but I see we're still sticking the guys under 50 layers of camaflouging robes and putting Natalie in a catsuit that seems specifically designed to show flaws.

12. Rebecca191

Rebecca191 Jedi Grand Master star 6

Nov 2, 1999
    The average woman wears a size 14-16? Where exactly is this figure from? Because if I go out on any given day, to, say, the supermarket, or the mall, or whatever, I obviously see lots of different people, and I'd say that most of the women I see do not look like size 14-16. I know my mom is a size 10 now, I'd say most of the women I see do not look like they are any larger than her...

13. ferelwookie

ferelwookie Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 4, 2001
    Good point Treecave. There definetly is a double-standard when it comes to body types and males and females in Hollywood and "real life". If a guy is bald/balding and has a bit of a gut, it is usually deemed "normal" and just a part of aging. But if a woman has a few wrinkles and/or is a bit overweight, she is usually made to feel inferior to her thinner counterparts.

All the bo-tox and liposuction in the world can't make you a better PERSON inside. People should learn to care about what other's have to offer intellectually and emotionally. Looks fade with time, a good soul doesn't. :)

14. QueenDorme

QueenDorme Jedi Youngling star 3

Jun 9, 2002
    I think it is sad to see how "big" and "overweight" is used in this thread so liberally. It is really quite simply; HEALTHY or UNHEALTHY.

It has nothing to do with size or stature.

On another note, I was in America about a year ago and it is quite evident to a foreigner that America does have an unhealthy lifestyle compared other countries in the first world.

15. TreeCave

Jul 28, 2001
    On another note, I was in America about a year ago and it is quite evident to a foreigner that America does have an unhealthy lifestyle compared other countries in the first world.

Statistics seem to bear this out - infant mortality, obesity, etc. But I'd love to hear some details on what made it so "evident" to you. And what part of the US did you visit?

16. Inari_Icewalker

Inari_Icewalker Jedi Youngling star 2

May 23, 2001
    The average American woman is now a contemporary size 12. This came from a study done by Mode Magazine not too long ago.

But here's an interesting observation: whenever I go into stores shopping, I can barely find a size 14. There's pleny of sizes 4-9 on the racks though. When the clearance time comes, that's ALL that's left on the rack.

Coincidence? I don't think so. Most adult women I see around are not size 9 or less, unless they are small-statured and wearing petite sizes anyway. Teen-aged women aren't even done growing yet, so we should not be told our bodies need to look like theirs in terms of weight and size. How this has escaped most people's common sense and notice is appalling.

17. Rebecca191

Rebecca191 Jedi Grand Master star 6

Nov 2, 1999
    I have the opposite problem.

I'm usually a size 2, but I can be a 0 or a 4, depending on the brand or style. Whenever's there's a clearance, there are never any small sizes left here, or there are only a few. But there are tons of larger sizes left. I don't know, perhaps where I live, the women are smaller sizes on average.

18. Darth Fierce

Darth Fierce Jedi Padawan star 4

Feb 6, 2000
    Enough with the double-standard bit. Are you telling me XXX would be as big a hit if your average pot-bellied, pale-skinned, hairy-backed guy played lead?

According to USA Today: "Movie tracking firms agree that women are flocking to Diesel's XXX in unusual numbers for an action film."

Reel Source Inc. cited an "unheard of" 52% of XXX weekend viewers being female.

Here's my favorite: "Women want to go to the movies and sexually objectify a man," says Anka Radakovich, columnist for Razor magazine. She continues, "he has a hot body and looks good with no shirt."

Janelle Brown wrote a column for Salon.com headlined "Vin Diesel is hot."

So what was that again about a double standard?

Regarding Lucas... didn't he give Hayden orders to buff up for Ep III? Just like Carrie, Hayden is required to look the part he is playing.

19. TreeCave

Jul 28, 2001
    Getting mildly muscular is hardly unnatural, though. Losing enough fat that your skin can't manufacture oil anymore is. What part of that specifically do you not understand?

And again, Harrison Ford is almost always tubby, and Keanu Reeves is a big gangling teenage boy. Yet women find them attractive - maybe we're just interesting enough to be turned on by things other than looks. Should I assume from how uniformly toothpickish every successful actress is that you males are just so vapid, only looks turn you on?

20. Kit'

Kit' Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 30, 1999
    Should I assume from how uniformly toothpickish every successful actress is that you males are just so vapid, only looks turn you on?

That's a really interesting thought TreeCave, I actually thought that the only thing guys liked was thin girls until I lived in an all male household. I looked at Movie stars and what my teenage guy friends thought was hot (without ever asking them) and thought "The only way you can look hot is to be skinny" an opinion that was constantly re-inforced by television, movies and the onyl things that I think should be banned from this world -- Teen magazines. :)

Okay, so back to the story. I moved into this house being the only girl amoung four guys and it was the biggest learning curve in my life. They commented on girls, all the time. You only had to drive down the street and one would comment on some girl. It was never a negative comment, always "Gee, she looks hot" said quietly. After a while, and getting annoyed that they were (to my mind) objectifying women I started to actually look at the girls they commented on and what I found suprised me. Not one was skinny. Every single girl was average size with average arms and legs, about size 12-16 (Australian). They were all girls that I had thought that guys would think were ugly because of their size. Then I started asking and really started to find out things.

The guys I lived with thought most movie stars were too thin. They actually wanted bigger, more average girls on thier television screen. Their comments about Ally McBeal was that she needed to start eating and the same then actually went for nearly all girls they saw. It was incredable. I was stunned...they had actually never understood or contemplated what it was like for a girl seeing thin girls being promoted. After talking to them for a bit, they understood and thought it was silly. They wanted to see change.

Okay, so I know this is slightly off-topic, but I just wanted to show that not all guys think that only thin women are attractive.

Kit

21. QueenDorme

QueenDorme Jedi Youngling star 3

Jun 9, 2002

Statistics seem to bear this out - infant mortality, obesity, etc. But I'd love to hear some details on what made it so "evident" to you. And what part of the US did you visit?

I travelled from New York all down the east coast to Florida, through the southern states, New Mexico area and onto LA.

I come from Australia and I found it hard in America to get food that my culture would consider healthy. I know I live in a fairly lucky country when it comes to fresh and healthy food, but I really was surprised at how much junk food there is in the States.

Everything was always extra salt, extra large, extra cranberry, etc. Everything seem to be fried in fat or "frosted." Your small McDonald's meals are equal to our Medium's and I couldn't believe people actually bought the SUPERSIZE amounts. :eek:

Saying that, Australian media and culture does like to emphasise that we are becoming "Americanised" in the way we eat and extensively campaigns against the idea of fast food. This may have been a factor in me recognising the unhealthy lifestyle.

22. Darth Fierce

Feb 6, 2000
    Treecave
    If you're going to use Harrison Ford and Keanu Reeves as examples of average-looking guys, you're living in a dream world.

And stars like Calista Flockhart have had success (not sure why they should be begrudged that), but they are constantly being attacked and degraded for their weight, not lauded for it. So I really don't know where you're getting your perceptions from.

23. chibiangi

chibiangi Jedi Master star 4

Jun 16, 2002
    That is because Calista Flockhart crossed the invisible line between ok skeletal and bad skeletal :D

When the two Friends girls lost weight, they got great reviews. Magazines proclaimed that, "You too can drop the pounds on the Zone diet (or whatever diet)". Bridget Jone's diary anyone? Did Renee Zellweiger look fat to anyone? Yet, in the reviews she played a "dumpy", "pudgy", "overweight" woman. And Zellweiger lost a lot of weight after that. She is much thinner now than she was before the movie, probably, god forbid, any casting agents think she is a potential chubby. I can come up with many more examples of how actresses are given kudos for losing non-existant excess weight.

24. Darth Fierce

Feb 6, 2000
    And those magazines were sold right next to the ones with the hulks on the cover and in big letters "Get the six-pack she secretly wants!" "Get the body women want to get in bed with".

Still not sure where the double standard is.

25. Fire_Ice_Death

Fire_Ice_Death Force Ghost star 7

Feb 15, 2001
    Hey didn't Sly Stalone have to actually gain weight for Cop-land? You are rquired to look the part you play in hollywood. Everything is based on looks. But that doesn't mean it should be an accepted practice.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.