main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Memph, TN Big Scoop: July 30th.

Discussion in 'SouthEast Regional Discussion' started by Qui-Gon Tim, Jul 12, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Qui-Gon Tim

Qui-Gon Tim Memphis, TN FanForce Chapter Rep star 5

Apr 1, 2000
    Ronald McDonald House has been speaking with Kevin regarding Big Scoop, and wants to know if we are interested in participating. I know a lot of us are very put off by this event thanks to last year's miserable experience, but we've been told that this year will be different. (Kevin has been advising RMH about the character issue, and I'm told that someone else will be in charge of it this year. No BatMite this year.)

So, with that said, and with it being a SW year, do we want to do this again? We won't need a very large group, so if only a handful of folks want to represent the group it'll be fine. Also, if you can only be there for a few hours (as I will if I go- Drive In Night is that evening), then that would be fine as well. I think the hours are 10:30 am to 4:30 pm.

We'd like to get some sort of feedback by this Sunday. If you're interested, PM or email Kevin, or let us know in this thread.

2. mr_nightmarez

mr_nightmarez Jedi Youngling star 2

Oct 20, 2003
    :eek:See what happens to an event when the Chairperson moves away! [face_whistling]

I ALWAYS took care of my characters![face_peace]

3. kellrob

kellrob Jedi Youngling star 2

Sep 15, 2004
    Rob and I were going to go anyway. You know how fat people can't pass up all you can eat ice cream! (my doctor will kill me, if he finds out. Its that whole mild diabetic thing.) Now maybe we won't have to pay to get in. Just tell us what time and where we are meeting.

Kelly

4. Mistoffelees

Mistoffelees Jedi Youngling star 1

Apr 12, 2005
    i'm in too. i suppose i was fortunate not to experience whatever happened last year, so it just sounds like a bucket of fun to me :)

5. DarthMule

DarthMule Jedi Youngling star 3

Jun 6, 2003
    Todd's right: Miss him.

The woman in charge this year is Susan Wolfe, and she's very nice. Her home base is New Orleans, so I don't know if she's living here now and volunteering, or if she's one of the many from New Orleans whose kid is staying there while being treated at St. Jude and decided to volunteer some time. I'm pretty sure it's the former.

When she first called me, I told her, "Here's where there were problems last year, and here's what TODD PATTON used to do. Now, Todd Patton used to get in there first and get us fans, a water cooler (not bottles dropped in an ice chest soaked in water and pushed under a table where we can't see it, thus causing us to drop water everywhere and sling it on our suits), and he also used to turn the A/C way down to keep it cool in there." Blah blah blah...we all know why we love Todd, and that's what all I told her.

At any rate, I'm happy someone cared enough to call someone who's been involved in the past to find out what she needs to do instead of just wingin' it like the guy did last year. She's planning to have it COLD in there for us performers, she's going to have volunteers on hand to HELP US GET DRESSED (this hasn't been done since Todd split and dumped on us just because he could move somewhere better than Memphis and get more dough for it, BAD TODD!!) :) She's planning on having extra tables for us to put our costumes on and chairs.

Basically, Kelly hit it on the head: Show up. You're in. Once you're in, stay for an hour or two, then go get in line. I don't suggest it to those of you who are mild diabetics, though. That's as smart as putting one bullet in a gun and spinning the case to see if you might pop a cap in your head. What's that called? Russian Roullet? Those Russians get into some crazy stuff.

Anyhow, yeah, you're already there. No fees to get in. Get in line, stuff your head!!

We are going to get to hang the SMT Banner up there when we go in...well, Muley's there as himself all day. The OFFICIAL TIMES are 11-4. Muley's always out a little longer than the other characters are just for the sake of some stupid ethic I have (that he needs to goof off some with the folks working the event just for good relations).

Anyhow, email me at MuleyTMule@aol.com or send me a PM here at the boards because I need a list to give the lady as to who will be attending so your names can be on the main list when you show up.

~Kev
    (PS, Todd, are you even going to come down like you did last year for the heckuvit?)

6. kellilla

kellilla Jedi Master star 2

Sep 4, 2002
    What times are we looking at? I'd like to do it again (so long as there's no Batmen) - and Ash wants to come in her new X-Wing uniform. For us it just depends, as we have a shower to go later that afternoon.

7. Qui-Gon Tim

Apr 1, 2000
    I think the run time is 11 am to 4 pm, but I wouldn't expect anyone to have to be there the entire time. (I mean, what are they going to do to stop you from leaving early?)

8. otisdodge

otisdodge Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 21, 2004
    I will be in town and I am interested.

9. StarBlazerM31

StarBlazerM31 Jedi Youngling star 2

Jan 8, 2005
    I'd actually like to do it.

-Darth Grace [face_skull]

10. gooshy

gooshy Jedi Knight star 1

Apr 27, 2005
    I'd like to go, but I've never been to this event so I really don't understand what it is. Could you possibly explain what the Big Scoop is, where its located, stuff like that. I'll be happy to come in my trooper gear, I've been wanting to get into it for a while. thx

11. Qui-Gon Tim

Apr 1, 2000
    It's an ice cream festival to benefit Ronald McDonald House. It will be at the Agricenter, and our contribution is at the "get your photo with a character" area. The first year we participated, Sal and I probably did about 300 photographs. Last year, we probably did only about 20 or so. I can't say how much of that had to do with it being an off year for SW, or how much of it was due to poor organization.

Kevin: Tell the organizer to try to get people who actually fit the rented costumes this year. Last year's superheroes just sucked out loud. The people in those costumes had no business wearing them. I know I shouldn't say that about volunteers, but....damn.... these folks were so far removed from the character they were portraying that it was laughable.

12. gooshy

Apr 27, 2005
    ooo! somewhere actually close to me :) yeah ill be there. Hopefully I'll get my static burst amp installed by then.

13. mr_nightmarez

mr_nightmarez Jedi Youngling star 2

Oct 20, 2003
    [face_peace]Thanks for the "Pat on the Back" Kevmodee

I'm not sure if I'll be back for Big Scoop...

Maybe I should bring My Mascots and do my own Photo Area and see if I can make more money they they do...[face_whistling]

14. kellilla

kellilla Jedi Master star 2

Sep 4, 2002
    Ash and I will be there in the morning, then :)

15. DarthMule

DarthMule Jedi Youngling star 3

Jun 6, 2003
    The official Big Scoop site with maps and junk:
    http://www.rmhmemphis.org/BigScoop2005.htm

Thanks folks for making me and SMT look good by coming out, especially on a SW year! Since I'm not so sure about who is who under what screenname by full name, please e-mail me at muleytmule@aol.com or PM me at the boards with your full name and the time you wanna participate (by Sunday), so we can be sure your name is on the list. I think you also get a t-shirt, can't remember!

Todd---I DARE ya! But, never say I said that.

Tim---Yeah: Spider-Man with boobs was...weird. Short fat Batty was odd, too. Problem last year was that the guy didn't try to call folks in and relied on the few folks he had. SOME of those in costumes weren't even supposed to BE in costume but working other areas.

So, here's the current list:
    Kel
    Ash
    Jacob
    Grace (Jay, too??)
    Gooshy (Whoever THAT is in real-life! I need to learn this stuff. :) )

100% bad organization...

Like I said, I expect this year to be a good one.

16. Qui-Gon Tim

Apr 1, 2000
    I thought I might get to do this, but I'm not going to be able to. With Drive-In that night, my plate will be too full to lose a couple of hours at Big Scoop.

17. Echo7Solo

Echo7Solo Jedi Youngling star 2

Jan 10, 2005
    Tim, if you need help setting up things for drive in please let me know. I'm requesting off work that day and I'm more than willing to help you out. An extra set of hands might free up an hour or two so you can go to big scoop. Even if you still can't make it to the scoop then at the very least you will have some help and won't have to work quite as hard. Just let me know.

18. Qui-Gon Tim

Apr 1, 2000
    Trust me- any help is appreciated, Tim. Thanks!

I'm still going to pass on going, but I can loan out my Jedi or Emperor costume to anyone who would like to attend.

19. Echo7Solo

Echo7Solo Jedi Youngling star 2

Jan 10, 2005
    just let me know what time to be there and I'll help with the set up. I think I'll pass on the big scoop also.

20. otisdodge

Sep 21, 2004
    Do you have boots? What size are your boots?

21. StarBlazerM31

StarBlazerM31 Jedi Youngling star 2

Jan 8, 2005
    I'll wear the Maul costume to this one. ^_^

...But I still don't want to do the make-up again. [face_chicken]

-Darth Grace [face_skull]

22. Qui-Gon Tim

Apr 1, 2000
    I think my boots are an 8 or an 8 1/2, Jacob. If you can wear them, you're welcome to borrow them.

23. gooshy

Apr 27, 2005
    I'm going to have to modify my helmet so I can eat icecream through the frown grill. Any Ideas?
    [image=http://tk2486.com/images/helmet_straws.jpg]

24. otisdodge

Sep 21, 2004
    Can we say, milkshake?

I normally wear a nine, Tim. They probably won't work. Thanks, though.

25. Obi_J_Kenobi

Obi_J_Kenobi Jedi Youngling star 3

Nov 15, 2002
    I'm gonna try my hardest to make it to this one, I can't promise anything though...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.