main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Biggest Casting Mistake

Discussion in 'Prequel Trilogy' started by OBI_74_KENOBI, Jun 16, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. iLoveAnakin7

iLoveAnakin7 Jedi Master star 5

Apr 17, 2005
    Now, I'm afraid Hayden will go down the same bleak road. Geesh, fans are already bashing him enough around here. I mean, you don't have to like him, of course, but give the guy a break! I want to look at his pretty face for years to come, dammit!

Amen...and don't worry Hayden is already working on several other projects:)

2. Sith_Lord_Ani

Sith_Lord_Ani Jedi Youngling

Mar 9, 2005
    To be honest these threads make me so mad I mean I realize everyone has their opinions and I try to respect that but come on the acting in the complete Star Wars saga was excellent and Lucas did and excellent job casting. And yes Sam Jackson was excellent as Mace and Hayden and Ian should have won an Academy Award so yea all the casting was done very well its actualy the only movies really where I think theres not really any room to say "Oh I think someone else would have been better" So ya thats my opinion on the matter.

3. RevantheJediMaster

RevantheJediMaster Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 12, 2005
    I thought Jimmy Smitts was pretty good and not like it should and does matter but the mom had the same skin tone as Leia if I remember right.

4. Lyvia

Lyvia Jedi Youngling star 2

Jun 2, 2005
    Ive imagines the PT without Sam J. And there is no difference. The man served no purpose he was scenery just like NP in ROTS. And NP and HC are great actors they just werent good in SW. Although I think Hayden did good.

5. General_Obi_1

General_Obi_1 Jedi Youngling star 1

May 27, 2005
    HAYDAN CHRISTIANSON[face_frustrated]

This mainly for two reasons.

1, The delivery of the two lines "We can rule the galaxy together" and "To me the Jedi are evil!". You just don't say that in a high pitched whiny voice. You say them in a sinister voice, full of power and menace.

2, His monatone delivery in general. I know this is probaly more to do with the script writer than his acting abilities but is bothers me.

Some one should have been cast with more inprovisation skill and a little more presants. Haydan looks the part no question but he simply does not SOUND it. Being so used to Vaders voice of couse I wasent expecting James Earl Jones to dub him but I did feel more gravitase in his delivery was needed. Also someone who could act a little more Jekel and Hyde would have helped with whiny voice for Skywalker and Sinister voice for Vader maybe.

Never mind whats done is done I suppose.:rolleyes:

6. JediSpecialEd1996

JediSpecialEd1996 Jedi Youngling star 1

Aug 8, 2005
    Artoo as Artoo Should of made a moving trashcan and painted designs on it!

7. HL&S

HL&S Magistrate Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 30, 2001
    Ahem... Daniel Logan is from New Zealand and sounds like a Kiwi

Yeah I knew that. But you understood what I was saying right?

8. soriano329

soriano329 Jedi Youngling star 1

Jun 22, 2005
    read the signiture

vvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvv

9. Garth Maul

Garth Maul Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 18, 2002
    But if we couldn't critique the SW films, we wouldn't have anything to talk about. [face_laugh]

I don't see anything wrong with asking who the biggest casting mistake was.

10. Psycho_Handmaiden

Psycho_Handmaiden Jedi Youngling

Sep 1, 2005
    I agree. Natalie was little more than scenery in Episode 3. It's sad really....she so rocked in the first two movies.

11. General_Obi_1

General_Obi_1 Jedi Youngling star 1

May 27, 2005
  12. anakin_skywalker_02

anakin_skywalker_02 Jedi Youngling

Jun 19, 2005
    You obviously don't appreciate what Hayden was trying to do. His monotone delivery of the lines was in response to the OT Vader. That was the only thing he could really take from the OT Vader other than his walk. Also, when he said those 2 lines, he was already drunk on power. I dunno about you, but you get drunk and light headed, your voice usually goes up a pitch.

I think he sounds as Vader-ish as he possibly could, without having to digitally alter his voice and stuff like that.

13. sidious618

sidious618 Jedi Grand Master star 6

Apr 20, 2003
    Natalie Portman was a huge mistake. She's a fabulous actress but just not suited for Star Wars.

Hayden was a mistake in AotC but he pulled it together for RotS.

I'll be honset, though, I've never really understodd the hatred towards Jake Lloyd. I thought he was really good.

14. emporergerner

emporergerner Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 6, 2005
    Biggest casting mistake.

NONE.

15. anakin_luver

anakin_luver Jedi Knight star 5

Jul 26, 2005
    I don't understad why everything has gotten so critical. That's why i'm so glad I watched the saga in the order that I did [1,2,4,5,6,3] I find that people that watched the PT first are over critical about the OT, and the people that watched the OT first are over critical about the PT. That's why I love the way I watched the movies. There are no casting mistakes for ANY of the movies, everyone did their job, and they did it perfectly. Honestly,how can anyone say that someone else would of done a better job? How are you so sure that that wasn't the way GL wanted the actor to be like?

16. PrincessofVictory

PrincessofVictory Jedi Youngling star 2

Jun 22, 2005
    Thank you!

17. anakin_luver

anakin_luver Jedi Knight star 5

Jul 26, 2005
    Seriously guys, when did Star Wars reach this level of your critical thinking? I thought all of us here were devoted Star Wars fans, I am willing to over look a huge barrel full of things becuase Star Wars is Star Wars, and it is the best. Period. That's it. And when we reach the point where we start questioning the casting and the story line, etc etc, it's just not right.

18. MANDALORIAN

MANDALORIAN Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 15, 1999

I find these discussions a lot more interesting than endless threads saying "Teh PrEQUl RoxoRs" "LuCaS iz Fab"

And, of course, who is tougher _________ or ___________?

19. Darth-Stryphe

Darth-Stryphe Former Mod and City Rep star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 24, 2001
    Seriously guys, when did Star Wars reach this level of your critical thinking? I thought all of us here were devoted Star Wars fans, I am willing to over look a huge barrel full of things becuase Star Wars is Star Wars, and it is the best. Period. That's it. And when we reach the point where we start questioning the casting and the story line, etc etc, it's just not right.

That depends on if an actors performance took you out of the moment. If so, it is worth noting, but if not, then it isn't.

[Pirate Voice]Arrrh![/Pirate Voice]

20. Darth_SomethingWitty

Darth_SomethingWitty Jedi Youngling star 1

Aug 29, 2005

I was thinking that I was upset by every established actor in the movies. Part of what made the original SW series great was the LACK of established talent used by Lucas and how well they pulled it off for the most part. Yeah, you could call Alec Guinness an established actor and Billy Dee Williams seemed out of place as a named actor in ESB & ROTJ, but he was sort-of a refreshing surprise. Imagine in 1976 is they had used Jack Nicholson as Han Solo, Farrah Faucett as Leia, and Al Pacino as Luke - dissapointment all around and an enormous floperoonie...

21. LuliaOlenska

LuliaOlenska Jedi Youngling star 1

Aug 27, 2005

I agree that it would have made an entirely different movie. Although I know that these names were mentioned, I don't think that either Nicholson and Pacino would have accepted to be in Star Wars. This was the 70s, the "auteur" film era, and I don't think that "consumate" actors like Jack and Al would have even been interested in a little sci-fi/fantasy film like SW.

But, IF this cast would have happened, why are you so sure it would have made SW a disappointment and a flop?

Furthermore, I don't see that any of the actors in the PT (apart from Sam Jackson and maybe Liam Neeson), were household names when they were cast! Natalie and Ewan were moderatly known by film fans, Christopher Lee was a has-been, McDiarmid was essentially known for the OT, Hayden was totally unknown, shall I go on?

If anything, I think that Samuel L. Jackson brought to Star Wars people that may not have seen it otherwise. And darn, he wasn't that bad! Where is this "ultimate model" for a Jedi Master, and how did Sam NOT fill its requirements?

22. Darth_SomethingWitty

Darth_SomethingWitty Jedi Youngling star 1

Aug 29, 2005
    Oh, I was not implying that those folks were up for the roles - GL could never have afforded them anyhow. I just pulled some contemporaries that were fairly solid names in the mid-70's. However, in the new movies they have Jackson, McGregor, Neeson, Portman, and Lee as you said; they also had Jimmy Smits. This is not some star spangled affair with hundreds of cameos, but these are all pretty established actors and we have preconceived notions about them. What was great about the originals is that we had no preconceptions about anyone; these were their defining roles...

23. Darth_Davi

Darth_Davi Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 29, 2005
    Your quote made me remember the Saturday Night Live sketch about Star Wars auditions...(Kevin Spacey host)

Christopher Walken "what do you mean you've never heard of the Millenium faaaalcon? Its the ship that made the Kessel run in 12 paaaarsecs!"

24. Darth-Buddy

Darth-Buddy Jedi Knight star 3

Sep 18, 2005
    I would have to say Natalie Portman. In AOTC while Anakin is pouring out his heart to her, she looks completely uninterested. I think that he at least tried, she just didn't look like she really cared that much. I think that all of the characters did really well in all of the action scenes. However, I kept thinking that Christopher Lee was going to have a heart attack during his fight scenes, because the dude is so old. With all that said, I love all the films and have learned to live with the crappy dialogue written by G.L.

25. DarthSerta

DarthSerta Jedi Youngling star 1

Aug 17, 2005
    SLJ was great in the prequels .He portraited exactly what was told to: a Jedi with no connection to anyone ,arrogant, closed to the galaxy, a symbol of the Jedi decay and blindness.
    The greatest casting mystake was Natalie Portman , she almost seemed to be doing a favor in the films.
    Christopher Lee was great too .He portraited ajedi of another age , a more civilized one , a era of knighthood, who have fallen in disgrace.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.