main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Saga Biggest Plot Holes & Inconsistencies

Discussion in 'Star Wars Saga In-Depth' started by Rachel_In_Red, Jun 7, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Deputy Rick Grimes

Deputy Rick Grimes Jedi Grand Master star 6

Sep 3, 2012
    Well in Anakin's defense, he only did that when he saw Obi-Wan on the ship so he assumed Padme betrayed him.

2. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    Example of lines in the novel of Leia remembering her mother:

The question took her totally by surprise. She'd always felt so close to her adoptive parents, it was as if they were her real parents. She almost never thought of her real mother - that was like a dream.

Yet now Luke's question made her start. Flashes from her infancy assaulted her - distorted images of running ... a beautifal woman ... hiding in a trunk. The fragments threatened to overwhelm her with emotion.

"Yes," she said, pausing to regain her composure. "Just a little bit. She died when I was very young."

"Leia, I've found something else out. It's not going to be easy for you to hear it, but you have to. You have to know before I leave here because I might not make it back. And if I don't make it, you're the only hope for the Alliance."

She looked away, she shook her head, she wouldn't look at him. It was terribly disturbing, what Luke was saying, though she couldn't imagine why. It was nonsense, of course; that was why. To call her the only hope for the Alliance if he should die - why, it was absurd. Absurd to think of Luke dying, and to think of her being the only hope.

Both thoughts were out of the question. She moved away from him, to deny his word; at least to give them distance, to let her breathe. Flashes of her mother came again, in this breathing space. Parting embraces, flesh torn from flesh ...

"Don't talk that way, Luke. You have to survive. I do what I can - we all do - but I'm of no importance. Without you ... I can do nothing. It's you, Luke. I've seen it. You have a power I don't understand ... and could never have."

Darth Dnej likes this.
  3. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    Yeah, well, how about asking "What the hell is Obi-Wan doing on your ship?" Thinking they were having an affair makes Anakin even stupider. He should know both of them well enough to know how out of character that would be.

TOSCHESTATION likes this.
  4. ThatsNoPloKoon

ThatsNoPloKoon Jedi Knight star 1

Apr 24, 2013
    Not really though. As gambit420 said if a person's already extremely ill losing the will to fight can have an impact but a perfectly healthy woman in her 20s cannot drop dead from feeling sad.

5. Placeholder

Placeholder Jedi Master star 4

Jan 30, 2013
    She died of bad writing

6. TOSCHESTATION

TOSCHESTATION Jedi Master star 4

Jan 17, 2003
    A terminal case of 'plot-demands-it'....

7. Slowpokeking

Slowpokeking Jedi Master star 5

Sep 21, 2012
    Padme's death is silly, yes.

Leia could be mentioning about Padme's photo or holo, not the actual living person.

Darth Dnej likes this.
  8. Slowpokeking

Sep 21, 2012
    OT also had Tarkin and he was successfully built, Maul is not really needed, but Dooku should be kept and given more screen time since EP I.

9. gambit420

gambit420 Jedi Master star 2

Oct 14, 2003

Yeah, I think Dooku was best new character out of the entire Prequel Trilogy

10. Placeholder

Jan 30, 2013
    I liked Dooku. He had a presence about him, and in many ways foreshadowed Vader. I agree, good character.

Bad name though.

11. Darth Nerdling

Darth Nerdling Force Ghost star 4

Mar 20, 2013
    I've never had a problem with Anakin's motivations for choking Padme. First, it's clear he's lost it to the dark side. Second, Obi-Wan is there to kill Anakin, and it appears Padme brought him there, so it makes a lot of sense that Anakin thinks she's betrayed him. If you're filled with the dark side and the only person you love, the person you threw away your former life for brings someone to kill you, then you're going to be majorly pissed off.

The biggest plot holes linking the 2 trilogies would be:
    --Leia, I guess, "Force remembering" her mother. (Right up there with the super kiss in Superman 2; btw that memory erasing kiss could be very helpful after one night stands)
    --Luke being dropped off Owen's pad at Tatooine. Obi-Wan staying there to watch over him makes that make some sense, but even if Vader wouldn't want to go back to Tatooine, Sidious knew that Anakin came from Tatooine, and he's so thorough that I think he would've had Tatooine searched from top to bottom just in case they saved the babies.

I don't have a problem with Obi-Wan saying Yoda trained him, he did train him, and bringing up Qui-Gon had no relevance to Luke at that point.

I also don't have a problem with Obi-Wan not recognizing the droids. He does give R2 a knowing smile and say something like, "Hello there, my little friend." Also, Obi-Wan knows that C-3PO's mind's been wiped so C-3PO wouldn't remember him anyway. And I'm not sure Obi-Wan interacted much with C-3PO much.

I also don't think there is much of an implied relationship between Owen and Anakin. Owen knows that Anakin was a Jedi and he must have assumed his adventures got him killed, so he doesn't want Luke to follow the same path.

I actually think that the biggest plot hole was created when GL decided before TESB but after ANH that Vader was Luke's father. (Before that time, GL was going with the idea that Vader killed Luke's father.) So, in ANH, you have Vader in the same room with his daughter who is Force-sensitive and not being aware of any of this. I think this is such a glaring plot hole that I've invented my own subplot in which Vader really does know that Leia's his daughter and that's part of the reason why he let's the escape from the Death Star.

Darth Dnej likes this.
  12. Iron_lord

Sep 2, 2012
    And in the radio drama, the "mind probe" Vader refers to, consists of him actually invading her mind with the Force- and pretending to be her "father" Bail.

That said, if she's never used the Force herself, even unconsciously, at that point, it may be easy to overlook her sensitivity.

13. Placeholder

Jan 30, 2013
    Owen did not approve of Anakin leaving Tattoine to follow Kenobi into adventure. That is what we are told, instead we got a child Anakin leaving Tattooine to escape a life of slavery, a child Owen would not even meet until years after that event. Plot hole. Unless Owen approves of child slavery and time travels,

Clearly two different stories. Lucas did not do a good job matching the backstory of Anakin from the OT to the Anakin we see in the PT

14. Master Jedi Macen Arren

Master Jedi Macen Arren Jedi Master star 2

Apr 16, 2013
    Your last point is a very good one, one that I've brought up before (although I can't remember where, think it may have been the "why Tantaoinne" thread).

It makes no sense whatsoever that Vader can sense to force being strong in Luke who is his son, but yet when stood next to Leia his daughter a few times senses absolutely nothing. GL was obviously having a very bad day inbetween TESB and ANH.

Also something I've just recently said in the "Order66" thread. Bail's order 66 scene didn't make much sense (well to me anyway), in the deleted scenes with the alliance they say that they don't want to include the Jedi because they're not really sure about them (pretty much like saying they don't trust them), then the next thing you know Bail's jumping around the place saying that the Jedi must be helped and saved.

15. Placeholder

Jan 30, 2013

It's a deleted scene, deleted scenes are not part of the story. Cutting a scene is an artistic choice.

16. Slowpokeking

Sep 21, 2012
    We already discussed it in the RLM thread.

Owen clearly meant if Anakin didn't leave, he would not end up being Vader/get killed based on how much did Owen knew.

17. Placeholder

Jan 30, 2013
    Yes, we did. And I still stand by my post.

18. Asajj_Kenobi

Asajj_Kenobi Jedi Master star 1

Oct 4, 2004
    I remember her saying she remembered her mother in the movie. Did any of the books state she actually remembered her mother via the Force?

Personally I don't think this is a plot hole at all. We all remember things that never happened, believe it or not. When in college I did a lot of research on memory. It is more inaccurate than one thinks. In fact our memories are disturbingly malleable. Every time we think of something from our past we are altering the memory a little bit. There was a very interesting artcle on the subject: http://www.smithsonianmag.com/science-nature/How-Our-Brains-Make-Memories.html

Therefore, Leia could believe she remembers her mother, but she is probably remembering something else from her childhood. Unless the EU novels tried to give an explanation for this memory by siting the magical properties of the Force, I would say...she probably remembers a nanny.

19. Slowpokeking

Sep 21, 2012
    Because Luke has the name of Skywalker, Vader firstly learned the importance of Luke from the Emperor.

No, Mon Mothma and Bail were not sure about the Jedi, but after they saw what happened to the temple, they knew the Jedi would surely be on their side because Palpatine massacred them.

20. Slowpokeking

Sep 21, 2012
    So you still think from Owen's view, it's better to get killed or become Vader is better than stay at Tatooine?

21. Placeholder

Jan 30, 2013
    You present that as the alternative, when it is clearly a false choice.

What I think, is exactly what I said. That it is a plot hole

22. Slowpokeking

Sep 21, 2012
    What false choice? Owen clearly didn't want Luke to walk into the path of his father, he clearly was saying about what happened to Anakin later.

VMeran likes this.
  23. Seagoat

Seagoat Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 25, 2013
    Idk if this has been mentioned yet but...

Teleporting Obi-Wan during the duel with Dooku in AOTC.

After Dooku cuts his arm and leg, he goes down to strike him, then Anakin blocks, and suddenly Obi is 10 feet away, so that he throws the lightsaber to Anakin. Camera zooms out, and suddenly he's entirely missing.

Eh, probably my biggest irk with AOTC. I still love it just as much though.

24. Iron_lord

Sep 2, 2012
    In the junior novelization of RoTS, Luke has his eyes shut, whereas Leia "looks around as if she wanted to memorize every detail".

Though real babies can't usually see properly after birth.

25. Placeholder

Jan 30, 2013
    edit: botched edit lead to multiple posts

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.