main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Biggest problem with ROTS

Discussion in 'Prequel Trilogy' started by DarthDiabolous, Feb 9, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DarthDiabolous

DarthDiabolous Jedi Youngling star 2

Sep 23, 2006
    Im not sure about the rest of you, but I heard rumors about Rots that, Will Neeson(qui gon) was supposed to be casted as a ghost jedi showing obi wan and yoda how to become one with the force. This is implied while at that space station looking thing by Yoda while luke and lea are being born... If any of you know something more about this can you please post.

Rebel: Please see the thread index for a similiar topic.

2. DarknessofDeath

DarknessofDeath Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 23, 2006
    The rumor has been around for some time but the scene you recall is of Yoda meditating and he is talking to Qui Gon in the ROTS novel. I don't think it was filmed at all but at one point, it was a scene that was written but ended up getting cut cause of pacing.

oh and its Liam Neeson. :)

3. Chi_of_Force

Chi_of_Force Jedi Youngling star 1

Feb 9, 2007
    EDIT: Sorry, stupid.

4. rechedelphar

rechedelphar Jedi Master star 6

Mar 29, 2004
    why is this a problem?

5. voodoopuuduu

voodoopuuduu Jedi Knight star 5

Mar 22, 2004
    More info here :

http://www.starwarz.com/tbone/index.php?categoryid=14&p2_articleid=319

"Yoda And Qui-Gon Jinn
    By T-bone
    Published: December 17, 2005
    Print Email Discuss

Fans were delighted to hear rumors of a scene involving Qui-Gon Jinn in EPISODE III. They were only rumors but they were enough to make people even more excited about the film. As time went by and more details about the film surfaced, more reputable websites and magazines started to ?confirm? these rumors. Lucas was indeed planning on Qui-Gon Jinn making some kind of appearance in the film. Such is the danger or what we call ?spoilers? or rumors about a film before its final edit is assembled. When said rumors turn out to be false or a heavily anticipated scene is dropped from the film in post production, disappointment ensues. Such is the case with a scene involving Qui-Gon having a short conversation with Yoda on Polis Massa.

I?m not so sure it was Qui-Gon?s non-appearance (vocally) that annoyed people as much as the content of the scene itself. Many months, even years before the film was released, George Lucas himself has talked about telling everyone in this film all about how the whole Force-ghost thing worked. He said after seeing EPISODE III, we?d know how the Jedi learned to retain their identity after death.

From the 1999 interview with Lucas in EMPIRE magazine:

Q: In Episode IV, R2D2 and C-3PO land on Tatooine and haven't got a clue where they are. Yet in The Phantom Menace, R2 travels to Tatooine and C-3PO was built there. How so?

A: How so? That will be coming up. (laughs) There's a lot of little things that'll be cleared up. The other one that gets asked a lot is why doesn't Qui-Gon disappear like everybody else. That's a plot point that centres around Obi-Wan saying to Vader/Anakin in the first one, "If you strike me down, I will become more powerful than you can possibly imagine." There is an issue about The Force and that will be revealed.

Q:Does this sort of retro reading get on your nerves?

A: A lot of it is just nit picky. Most people don't care about that stuff. There's a lot of things that will be explained more. Some of it is important plot stuff -- the Qui-Gon one is, 3PO isn't.

Rick McCallum noted in a June 3rd chat on Starwars.com that the Qui-Gon Jinn scene was never intended to be in the final version of the film. He stated that Liam Neeson never recorded any lines for the film but there was a version attempted that used Ben Burtt as the voice. This never made it anywhere and McCallum said something about thinking the film was better without this scene being so specific. Usually that equates to, ?We wanted it but couldn?t work out the details.?

I?m not buying the whole "we didn?t want it in the film" routine, personally. Something definitely smells rotten and no one?s really talking. My gut tells me there was some complication with Liam Neeson and they perhaps used Ben Burtt as a stand-in voice until they could get Liam in but they ultimately couldn?t. Then again, perhaps it?s true and they told Neeson to forget it since they didn?t need the scene. We don?t really know.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    222 INT. POLIS MASSA-OBSERVATION DOME-NIGHT
    On the isolated asteroid of Polis Massa, YODA meditates.
    YODA
    Failed to stop the Sith Lord, I have.
    Still much to learn, there is ...

QUI -GON (V.O.)
    Patience. You will have time. I did not.
    When I became one with the Force I made
    a great discovery. With my training, you will
    be able to merge with the Force at will.
    Your physical self will fade away, but
    you will still retain your consciousness.
    You will become more powerful
    than any Sith.

YODA
    Eternal consciousness.

QUI-GON (V.O.)
    The ability to defy oblivion can be achieved,
    but only for oneself. It was accomplished by a
    Shaman of the Whills. It is a state acquired
    through compassion, not greed.

YODA
    ... to become one with the Force,
    and influence still have...
    A power greater than all,

6. DarknessofDeath

DarknessofDeath Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 23, 2006
    Thanks Voodoo :) I hope that answers Diabolous's questions and it should.

7. voodoopuuduu

voodoopuuduu Jedi Knight star 5

Mar 22, 2004
    Well, it answers the basic status of things now. But it doesnt answer the main question of why GL, why ???? He raped my childhood, my adolesence and now my old age. :p [face_laugh] [face_laugh]

8. Cryogenic

Cryogenic Force Ghost star 5

Jul 20, 2005
    Will Neeson? [face_laugh]

"They continually speak to us, telling us the Liam of the Force."

Hey -- maybe it's an alternate universe where two words are in opposite places. [face_hypnotized]

9. DarthDiabolous

DarthDiabolous Jedi Youngling star 2

Sep 23, 2006
    Yes you were all a great help... Thanks a lot... because, as i previously stated I had heard rumors of such a scene with Quigon in it...

10. Pyrogenic

Pyrogenic Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 17, 2006
    "Will, the shades."[face_dancing]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.