main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Biggest Star/Story of the 2008 Summer Olympics

Discussion in 'Archive: The Arena' started by DarthIntegral, Aug 24, 2008.

?

Biggest Star/Story of the 2008 Summer Olympics

Poll closed Mar 26, 2012.
  1. Michael Phelps

69.4%
  2. USA Basketball

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. Kerri Walsh and Misty May-Treanor

2.8%
  4. The Chinese Divers

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. Usain Bolt

25.0%
  6. Chinese Gymnastic Teams

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  7. Japanese Softball Team

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  8. USA Men's Volleyball

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  9. The Opening Ceremony

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  10. Other (please specify)

2.8%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DarthIntegral

DarthIntegral JCC Baseball Draft/SWC Draft Commish star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA VIP - Game Host

Jul 13, 2005
    Share your thoughts on what was the biggest, best, and most memorable moments, teams, and individuals from the 2008 Summer Olympic Games!

2. Onoto

Onoto Jedi Knight star 5

Oct 7, 2004
    I'll go with Phelps, although there were many huge stories. The volleyball tragedy and subsequent victories were very moving, the Redeem Team and its womanly counterpart played like teams and got the job done, the Chinese controversies, be they political or athletic, obviously took up a lot of spotlight, and Usain Bolt was phenomenal. Still, the biggest story going in is the biggest story coming out: Michael Phelps left with the gold medals he was supposed to, and he earned them in breathtaking fashion.

3. Trika_Kenobi

Trika_Kenobi Jedi Grand Master star 6

Nov 4, 1999
    Phelps, hands down. The greatest Olympian in history is definitely the biggest star.

Now, that doesn't mean there weren't great stories, like Onoto said, but dern. I mean, Phelps. 'Nuff said.

4. Rogue...Jedi

Rogue...Jedi Administrator Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 12, 2000
    My favorite thing from the Olympics was the US Basketball team reclaiming gold. That said, Phelps has to be the biggest star and storyline - Eight. Gold. Medals. Seven world records. 'Nuff said.

Also, Usain Bolt and Walsh/May-Treanor were incredible. But still, Phelps. Yeah. Phelps.

5. s65horsey

s65horsey Otter-loving Former EUC Mod star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 24, 2006
    Phelps, hands down.

6. blubeast1237

blubeast1237 Jedi Master star 5

Apr 10, 2007
    Is this really even a poll? Phelps the Fish.

-B-

7. Kyptastic

Kyptastic VIP star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 10, 2005
    I loved Phelps. He climbed the unclimbable mountain and had some amazing moments along the way (100 Butterfly, 4x100 mens Freestyle relay). The man is a legend, no question.

But it was expected.

For me, Usain Bolt is the star of these Olympics. Not only did he win the premier event of the games, the 100m sprint, he demolished the world record whilst appearing to barely try. Then, he backed up and broke Michael Johnsons 200m world record, something many thought would never be done. Finally, he finished it off in the 4x100 mens relay with a fantastic third leg. Not only that, but his attitude towards the sport, his fellow competitors and the way he entertains the crowd is a refreshing change.

He passes Phelps in my mind because all he did was so unexpected. Noone saw it coming, and the way he utterly dominated the competition is something I'll remember for a long time.

There's so many great moments that are missing from this list, but for my mind the most uplifting story for me was that of the German Weightlifter who lost his wife in a car accident a year before the games, and carried a picture of her as he won the gold.

We witnessed possibly the greatest distance runner of all time win gold in the 10,000, before outsprinting the 1500m runners at the end of the 5000 in Keninisa Bekele

And as an Australian, it was fantastic to watch Matthew Mitcham, on his last dive, score perfect 10's to win the last individual diving gold medal and deny the Chinese a clean sweep.

8. The_Face

The_Face Ex-Manager star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 22, 2003
    As much as I loved the Redeem Team's attitude, and even though Usain Bolt is living proof that the Speed Force exists and can be accessed, Phelps's accomplishment is one for the ages. And achieved in dramatic fashion too.

9. LilyHobbitJedi

LilyHobbitJedi Jedi Knight star 5

Aug 29, 2005
    Phelps definitely. He went out there to do something people said was impossible and he did it. Some of those races were absolutely amazing, especially the two he won by 1/100 of a second. That's just insane! But he did it, breaking world records as he went.

10. Zaz

Zaz Jedi Knight star 9

Oct 11, 1998
    For sheer achievement, Phelps; for personality, Bolt.

11. Darth Dark Helmet

Darth Dark Helmet Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 27, 1999
    15, 20 years down the line, when people look back at this Olympics it will be Phelps and what he accomplished that they remember.

12. Darth_Omega

Darth_Omega Force Ghost star 6

May 19, 2002
    1. Bolt
    2. Phelps
    3. China beating the USA in the medal table.

13. Rogue...Jedi

Jan 12, 2000
    3. China beating the USA in the medal table.

In golds, but not in total medal count.

14. George_Roper

George_Roper Jedi Knight star 7

May 1, 2005
    I found Bolt more exciting, but I'd probably have him and Phelps tied at #1. Otherwise, agree. Hasn't the Olympics always gone by the most golds (i.e. for position in the table)? Even if you assign 3 points for a gold, 2 for a silver, and 1 for a bronze, China wins.

15. Onoto

Onoto Jedi Knight star 5

Oct 7, 2004
    The Olympics doesn't have an official medal count contest. All medal counts are just the results of media outlets using arithmetic, and the "winner" changes depending on the source.

16. DarthIntegral

DarthIntegral JCC Baseball Draft/SWC Draft Commish star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA VIP - Game Host

Jul 13, 2005
    The "Winner" of the Olympic Medal Count depends on who is spinning it.

Personally, I think Zimbabwe wins. Four medals, despite sending only 13 athletes to the games. That's impressive.

17. Rogue...Jedi

Jan 12, 2000
    Four medals, despite sending only 13 athletes to the games. That's impressive.

:eek: Impressive indeed, I hadn't seen that stat.

18. Kyptastic

Kyptastic VIP star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 10, 2005
    They were all won by the one swimmer - Kirsty Coventry

19. George_Roper

George_Roper Jedi Knight star 7

May 1, 2005
    Yeah, I know there is no 'winner'. But they have a medal table. It just seems to me that the media should use the same one.

I'm more impressed they were able to scrap together the 38,450,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000 Zimbabwean dollars to get their athletes to China.

20. Rogue...Jedi

Jan 12, 2000
    They were all won by the one swimmer - Kirsty Coventry

That would explain it - definitely impressed by some of her swims. Still impressive as a ratio, though.

21. EmeraldSpeedster

EmeraldSpeedster Jedi Youngling star 1

Aug 8, 2008
    How could it not be Phelps with the attention he got? Not to mention the level of his accomplishment... Bolt may have been the fastest runner alive and drew some attention for his attitude, but even with that he just didn't have the charisma and power to compare to Michael Johnson. It was unfulfilling.

22. halibut

halibut Ex-Mod star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 27, 2000
    I say it's that Taekwondo bloke who kicked the ref in the face after he was disqualified.

23. Rogue...Jedi

Jan 12, 2000
    That can win biggest goof of the Olympics.

24. Darth_Brutus666

Darth_Brutus666 Jedi Master star 4

Dec 25, 2006
    Phelps....just rules. What else can be said.

25. MarcusP2

MarcusP2 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 10, 2004
    How many did Togo send? They got a medal in the kayaking.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.