main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

JCC Bill splitting

Discussion in 'Community' started by Ender Sai, Dec 1, 2016.

?

How do you split the bill?

1. Evenly, because I'm not a terrible person

16 vote(s)
    57.1%
  2. Based on what I consumed

12 vote(s)
    42.9%
  1. Zapdos

Zapdos Force Ghost star 5

Jan 7, 2013
    it depends. my group of friends are mostly students. sometimes some of us really don't have much money left, but agree to go out anyway because of the occasion. so if a friend goes out with us but orders a cheap meal and skips drinks while the rest of us eats steak and have several glasses of wine, it wouldn't be right to split the bill evenly. usually they come out because they want to see us, even if they don't have much money left. so to bill them for what they didn't eat/drink when they were trying to watch their spendings would just scare them away from joining the next time. i value my friends company higher than i value customs.

2. Diggy

Diggy Chosen One star 8

Feb 27, 2013
    They aren't always facetious.

But I'm glad my post provided you the opportunity to get that off your chest. I bet it's been eating you up for a while now, so should be feeling better now. SO you're welcome. And no tip required, I insist.

3. Boba Nekhbet

Boba Nekhbet Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 30, 2014
    the synagogues in Spain are empty? Is there some historical reason for this?

Jabba-wocky

GrandAdmiralJello likes this.
  4. yankee8255

yankee8255 Force Ghost star 6

May 31, 2005
    In Germany and Austria, where restaurant staff can actually do math, they actually will add split the bill up for you

5. Jabba-wocky

Jabba-wocky Chosen One star 10

May 4, 2003
    The very wicked King Ferdinand ordered a religious purge as a cynical ploy to steal money from people after his wife had spent her time doing things like brokering peace treaties with Boabdil. Further evidencing his depravity, he even cheated on Isabella. We should all condemn him for these acts.

6. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
  7. Dumblesaur

Dumblesaur Jedi Youngling

Oct 28, 2016
    The vegetarian thing is actually a good point that brings up another reason why I usually end up paying way more than what I order, nearly every single time. Generally vegetarian options are way cheaper, and I usually end up not ordering a drink or trying to order the cheapest thing on the menu for myself to try and save something. The mindset of, oh it's only a few dollars or it's only $10 or $15 etc....it adds up. But it's something to try and keep in mind?

Honestly though I'm not sure what part of the country you anti-vegetarian people are in, but here it's a very common thing and not a big deal. No one really talks about it at all, you either are or you aren't. Hopefully that kind of attitude spreads more.

Diggy likes this.
  8. Diggy

Diggy Chosen One star 8

Feb 27, 2013
    Not a big deal where I am, either. But apparently in some places it's comparable to the holocaust? IDK.

As for bill splitting..I can't remember the last time I went somewhere and the waiter or waitress did ask if it was all on one cheque.

9. Rylo Ken

Rylo Ken Force Ghost star 7

Dec 19, 2015
    There are times when splitting the bill is tantamount to paying the whole thing. A family of four with two small children goes out to dinner with a family of five with three kids ranging from 12-17. Splitting the bill equally between the two families - the family of four might as well just take the check. Assuming the big family is solvent, they're ***** if they don't insist on separate checks. If it's an extended family situation and a big income disparity between the family units, then, yeah, the wealthier family should pay the whole thing.

10. Darth Morella

Darth Morella Force Ghost star 6

Apr 5, 2004
    When I go out with coworkers we usually get separate bills. Most of the times the waiters already know the drill and assume it's going to be separate. Unless it's someone's Birthday and someone sneakily asks the server to pay for their bill as well.

With close friends, it depends. We usually divide the bill by couples but then someone will ask to have the appetizer/drinks/dessert on their bill. We're not petty about who ate or drank more so we don't squabble about how much each one has to pay. And similar to what Zapdos mentioned early, everyone's income varies so if I order the fancy sushi boat I won't demand that others pay part of it.

11. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    Right now, whenever I go out with friends, we split our bills separately. That will change when we're all rich and famous and ****.

And goddammit, I thought Bill Clinton was divorcing or something after reading the thread title.

Sarge likes this.
  12. Darth Punk

Darth Punk JCC Manager star 7 Staff Member Manager

Nov 25, 2013
    **** vegetarians - why are they so special and different. Have you ever been to a vegan/veggie restaurant, what was the carnivore option?

As for how to settle the bill, credit card roulette is the only democratic way.

FatBurt, Ender Sai and Diggy like this.
  13. Mustafar_66

Mustafar_66 Force Ghost star 6

May 20, 2005
    If it's just me and the lady then we pay for what we ordered rather than split. If it's a group I agree, split evenly.

14. bizzbizz

bizzbizz Jedi Master star 4

Dec 16, 2015
    usually if i go out with friends or family we take turns in shouting each other.

CT-867-5309 likes this.
  15. FatBurt

FatBurt Sex Scarecrow Vanquisher star 6

Jul 21, 2003
    Always split it evenly.

The only exceptions are when I pay all in full for everyone or if someone beats me to it. This is irrespective of bar costs as the next time round you never know, you may be the one having a few drinks.

Plus quibbling over what is usually only 3/4 quid is just cheap and tasteless and is beneath my British sensibilities.

Sarge and Violent Violet Menace like this.
  16. solojones

solojones Chosen One star 10

Sep 27, 2000
    I just try to only go out to eat with my parents, so they'll pay the bill.

17. Empress Shatterpoint

Empress Shatterpoint Jedi Master star 3

Jan 5, 2013
    My friends and I always answer "separate bills" to the inevitable "separate or all in one bill?; cash or debit/credit?" question the waiter asks at the end of the meal. On the rare occasion they forget to ask us, they just assume we'll pay for what we ate and bring us separate bills. Before I decided to attend university & was working overtime, my friends and I went to a new restaurant almost every week and I don't recall ever being asked if we wanted to split everything equally...even if we wanted to do that I don't think we'd bother with the cell phone calculator and waste our time dividing everything by 4 or whatever number we happen to be in the situation. We don't tend to bring cash at restos either so we'd be stuck with one person paying for everything with his/her debit or credit, taking notes of who owes what, reimbursing that person at the next social event.

But yeah, other than the simplicity of just paying our bills as we receive them (noting what each person consumed), I also see it as a matter of principle to just pay for what you consume. I mean, why would I ever want to waste my student loans' money on someone's expensive drink or 2-3 desserts? I go out because I want to see my friends, not to be someone else's bank. If I can't afford to go out, I just A) don't go, or B) eat beforehand and order a beverage only. I don't think it's up to my friends to waste their savings on whatever I crave & can't afford. Usually we make sure to make plans within the financial reach of everyone though, so not an issue.

If some groups have an arrangement that they always split everything equally because that's what they prefer, cool. But it's not something I'll ever do.

Diggy and Rew like this.
  18. Diggy

Diggy Chosen One star 8

Feb 27, 2013
    That you Empress Shatterpoint. Given what we know about Rey and Kylo, what do you think they'd do as far as the bill goes?

Violent Violet Menace likes this.
  19. solojones

solojones Chosen One star 10

Sep 27, 2000
    Honestly, I go with whatever is easiest and least dramatic. If a place will bring you individual bills when you tell them ahead of time that you're splitting, fine. If someone doesn't have much money and tries to select cheaper food in their budget, yes, let them pay their portion only. If people want to split evenly, sure, I'll do that too.

The one thing that irks me is if you try to make people who don't drink alcohol pay for other people's drinks if those drinks are like $15-30 worth of stuff. I have hep C and can't drink much at all, so I personally don't really want to pay a ton of money for other people to drink. It's hard enough having to watch everyone else get to enjoy something you can't, and being the permanent designated driver (and this would apply to vegetarians and meat too, sure. Even if lots of them in CA are absolutely morally superior and annoying about it).

Otherwise sure, I'll pay whatever is easiest. Though I honestly don't go out to eat very often because I prefer to save that money. I know a lot of people who prefer to spend every drop, but I'm Dutch and Scottish so... I'm genetically programmed to be thrifty

Sarge likes this.
  20. Empress Shatterpoint

Empress Shatterpoint Jedi Master star 3

Jan 5, 2013

After reassuring a prematurely leaving (read: escaping) Rey that he'll "take care of everything", Kylo dines and dash, gifting the unfortunate server with a mysterious cross-like wound. As the police gets nearer on the speeder-chase, Kylo prays to Grampa Vader's helmet to have better luck with women next time?