main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

VIDEO Billie Gates is Not My Lover: The Xbox 360 Discussion

Discussion in 'Archive: Games' started by Handmaiden Yané, Oct 17, 2006.

1. zacparis

zacparis VIP star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 1, 2003
    D'oh! I've only just discovered Ultimate Mortal Kombat 3 was released on xbox live! :D I've been waiting months for this game. The scary thing is, it's been at least 10 years since I last played this on the Mega Drive, and I still remember most of the moves. :-B

2. __Vader__

__Vader__ Jedi Master star 3

May 23, 2005
    My Xbox 360 was bought on release date here in New Zealand, and is serving me very well. I picked up Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion as well as Perfect Dark Zero, and now I am well and truly immersed in great games after picking up Burnout: Revenge, and Lego Star Wars II.

I find the Xbox's greatest edge over the compitition is the Achievements system. When you log into your achievements screen, it shows you how much gamerscore you have obtained out of how much you have availiable. Because you can view this information when you look at other player's gamercards over Xbox Live, it is very easy to tell who is a lazy gamer and who is really hardcore. Achievements are really good for getting people to get their money's worth out of a game. I would much rather buy than rent a game now because I know that a permanent record of my progress through the game will be recorded on my gamercard. So far I have only obtained the full 1000 from 2 games, Oblivion, which I have completed every single mission, and Amped 3. Some games are definitely harder than others to gain achievements for. I have played Burnout: Revenge for 30 hours so far and I have only gained a measly 165 gamerscore on it. Lego Star Wars II has reaped me over 600 in 35 hours. And Amped 3 relinquished its full 1000 in just 17 hours. I really enjoy hearing the "boop" as I obatain a new achievement, so I can view it's icon, how much gamerscore it was worth, and looking at my new gamerscore total. (At the time of posting, it is 2990) I also think that it is a great idea that Xbox Live Arcade games give a "mini" set of achievements, with most giving out 200.

Here is a little profile of my Xbox 360 gaming so far:

Favourite Game: The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion
    Funnest Game: Burnout: Revenge
    Funniest Game: Amped 3
    Most time spent: Oblivion, 118 hours!!
    Best online game: Rockstar Presents Table Tennis
    Best graphics: Oblivion
    Game I will buy next: Tony Hawk's Project 8
    Most Anticipated game: Mass Effect
    Dream Game: Star Wars: KOTOR III: Revan Returns
    Nightmare game: Star Wars Battlefront III: Ewoks vs Gungans
    Number of games owned: 6
    Favourite Genre: RPG
    Least favourite Genre: Equestrian Simulation
    TV: 27" Viewsonic HD LCD

Feel free to post your own or make one up!

3. zacparis

Sep 1, 2003
    Great idea. :) Have you checked out the 360 blog? All you do is register your gamertag and it writes its own daily blog, and builds up a nice profile of your gaming habits (read, no social life :p ), there's a link to mine in my sig.

4. __Vader__

__Vader__ Jedi Master star 3

May 23, 2005
    Hey, sweet site Zacparis!

5. Handmaiden Yané

Handmaiden Yané Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 15, 2002
    That is a pretty nifty site.
    It's kind of weird how it writes itself. :p

Suuuuuuure you don't. :p

[face_laugh]

6. Excellence

Excellence Jedi Knight star 7

Jul 28, 2002

The opening console prices are full blown overcharge. It most certainly doesn't cost, say, AUD$450 for a GameCube. Only now has it come down to $200, which is what it should have been at first, what the N64 first retailed for.

Economies of scale---make more, cost less---is half the coin. The other side is a the simple matter of fact that it doesn't cost hundreds to sell that console. It's nothing but gluttonous greed of Jabba proportions. I don't understand and probably don't believe it costs tens of millions---even hundreds of millions, I saw posted here for some company---to make, lets say, a Playstation 2 or 3.

These pros, these veterans, are no fools. They've been rivalring for nigh on 20yrs. They could give you a seriously 4D console if they wanted; by doling out the tech bit by byte, you spend exorbitant dough---do Americans still slang money as dough today?---they release the "marginally" better stuff twice a decade. What they need is a good Megazord sword swing up their---

Pricing a game at $90 Aussie dollars, fair enough. You see how many people it took to planet and harvest at the back of the book credits. I'll never buy another console again. My last was the N64, and the sheer embarrassing range of produce was unforgiveable. A good PC will see you through ice ages, unlike a "3-year console life."

Always wanted to say this. Ahhh . . . just did. [:D]

7. Excellence

Jul 28, 2002

The opening console prices are full blown overcharge. It most certainly doesn't cost, say, AUD$450 for a GameCube. Only now has it come down to $200, which is what it should have been at first, what the N64 first retailed for.

Economies of scale---make more, cost less---is half the coin. The other side is a the simple matter of fact that it doesn't cost hundreds to sell that console. It's nothing but gluttonous greed of Jabba proportions. I don't understand and probably don't believe it costs tens of millions---even hundreds of millions, I saw posted here for some company---to make, lets say, a Playstation 2 or 3.

These pros, these veterans, are no fools. They've been rivalring for nigh on 20yrs. They could give you a seriously 4D console if they wanted; by doling out the tech bit by byte, you spend exorbitant dough---do Americans still slang money as dough today?---they release the "marginally" better stuff twice a decade. What they need is a good Megazord sword swing up their---

Pricing a game at $90 Aussie dollars, fair enough. You see how many people it took to planet and harvest at the back of the book credits. I'll never buy another console again. My last was the N64, and the sheer embarrassing range of produce was unforgiveable. Pfft, did that 5 meg expansion chip really cost $50? Outrage! A good PC will see you through ice ages, unlike a "3-year console life."

Always wanted to say this. Ahhh . . . just did. [:D]

8. MarcusP2

MarcusP2 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 10, 2004
    Nintendo 64
    Price: $399
    Released: February 1997

Yeah, it wasn't $200 at launch.

And lol at expected a PC to perform for all new games after 6 years, like my Playstation 2 does.

Nevertheless, this is off topic for this thread. So no more, Excellence.

9. Handmaiden Yané

Handmaiden Yané Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 15, 2002
    Yeah, I've had my PC for about 4 years and already the RAM is barely enough and other things are really outdated on it.

Anyway.

The cheapest game for 360 right now is Madden NFL 2006 at $14.99. :p Woohoo!

10. zacparis

Sep 1, 2003
    It can try, I never understand it though. :p

11. zacparis

Sep 1, 2003
    I'm not sure what to make of Viva Piñata. [face_thinking] I might check it out, it looks fun, and a nice change from always killing things.

12. Drew_Atreides

Drew_Atreides Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 30, 2002
    Picked up "Splinter Cell: Double Agent" the other day (incidentally "Wal-Mart" had a WICKED price on it. 41.99 Canadian INCLUDING tax, when it's 59.99-69.99 everywhere else i've looked (not including tax)! Just in case anyone is lookin')

Man, it wastes no time at becoming challenging. I'm slowly making my way thru the first level, but is it ever tough and there's NO real tutorials, so there's alot of trial and error involved in figuring out how to go about your business. I'm almost borderline-stuck ALREADY.

It's fun, though. If you liked previous entries in the series, it's definitely worth checking out.

13. Excellence

Jul 28, 2002

Whoops, wrong thread. Thought I corrected it, but I can see now a double post instead. Strange. :oops:

14. Drew_Atreides

Apr 30, 2002
    Wow, i can't believe we're almost to November. The game-rush is starting.

"Marvel: Ultimate Alliance" is supposed to be comin' out today! I know it's basically "X-Men: Legends" amped to the umpteenth degree, but having a team with ALL of those Super Heroes on it just sounds cool.

15. Drew_Atreides

Apr 30, 2002
    Well, i preordered Gears of War today. As we get closer to it's release, and i see more videos on Youtube..Man does that game look cool.

16. Soontir-Fel

Soontir-Fel Force Ghost star 5

Dec 18, 2001
    GoW looks fun, but I hate the art style they're going with. It makes all the characters look like big plastic action figures.

17. sponge06

sponge06 Jedi Youngling

Nov 2, 2006
    I have just placed an order for this game. So I am hoping it will be worth the wait.

18. redxavier

redxavier Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 23, 2003
    The game I'm most looking forward to this month is actually Rainbow Six, the demo was great.

19. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    Even though I only learned about it yesterday after Soontir mentioned it, I can't wait to play that Sneak King game coming out. A game featuring the Creepy Burger King? Blatant product placement? Sure. Frelling awesone? Frack yeah!

Granted, I won't have a 360 for 2 years, but I can play it over someone else's house for the time being.

And it'll be asy enough to pick a copy up when it comes out on the 19th- I can grab some BK for breakfast on the way to pick up my Wii :D

[image=http://www.denimfilms.com/shared/thecreepyburgerking2.jpg]

20. MarcusP2

MarcusP2 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 10, 2004
    LOL, those are real? I thought they were a Photoshop job.

I'd play them.

21. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    yep- trailer: http://media.xbox360.ign.com/media/858/858064/dl_1731213.html

22. Drew_Atreides

Apr 30, 2002
    I have a friend who still insists that the greatest game ever developed for the NES was "McKids". He and his sister rave about that title TO THIS DAY.

23. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    My friend's former fiancee actually talked about McKids alot and convicned us to pcik a copy up- and it actually is awesome. A Mario World/SMB2 rip-off for sure, but it was hard and had some pretty interesting features (running past a special kind of block actually reverses the effect of gravity on your character, so that you can walk and jump along ceilings- or die by falling straight up into the sky. Can't say I've ever done that in any other game [face_laugh]

24. NightHunter319

NightHunter319 Jedi Master star 4

Jul 14, 2005
    So, two questions:
    1.) Will the price drop for Christmass?
    2.) Do you need a fan for the 360 ( a few friends have said yes, some have said no)

25. Drew_Atreides

Apr 30, 2002
    1. I keep hearing "no" because of the launchprice of the PS3 being so high.

2. I haven't had any problems with mine, yet. I've read online that so long as you insure that the system has some room to breathe, you should be alright (especially at this stage where the units being developed will have the initial launchbugs worked out of them.)