main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

VIDEO Billie Gates is Not My Lover: The Xbox 360 Discussion

Discussion in 'Archive: Games' started by Handmaiden Yané, Oct 17, 2006.

1. zacparis

zacparis VIP star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 1, 2003
    1: It won't drop much here in Europe, since there's no PS3 this Christmas.
    2: I keep mine in the vertical position in open air and it's had no problems at all, even through our hot sticky summer.

2. -Phoenix-

-Phoenix- Jedi Master star 5

Oct 21, 2005
    I had McKids as a kid! That game really was great. A true classic.

3. Excellence

Excellence Jedi Knight star 7

Jul 28, 2002

My friend's former fiancee actually talked about McKids alot and convicned us to pcik a copy up- and it actually is awesome. A Mario World/SMB2 rip-off for sure, but it was hard and had some pretty interesting features (running past a special kind of block actually reverses the effect of gravity on your character, so that you can walk and jump along ceilings- or die by falling straight up into the sky. Can't say I've ever done that in any other game.

Actually, 2ndQuest, NES; Battle of Olympus had sandals that could cling you to the ceiling if you jumped the right way. Damn handy too, with the vicious vermin below. :p

4. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    Ah, but did those sandals merely let you spiderball your way across the ceiling, or were you actually experiencing reversed gravity, U-shaped jumps over gaps and "bottomless" (topless?) pits "above" you? ::)

Cause that's what I'm mainly referring too- Santa Claus: The Movie candy-caning your way into orbit as a means of death in a game is a fairly rare occurance ;)

5. Excellence

Excellence Jedi Knight star 7

Jul 28, 2002

Yep, you were walking upside down on the ceiling, so long as there was a surface. Jump too hard for too long, and you righted yourself, falling back to the ground, but you could jump and hop. It was like magna boots; you didn't just fall off. Pity Metroid had nothing like that . . .

6. Drew_Atreides

Drew_Atreides Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 30, 2002

Okay, that cracked me up.

John Lithgow: NOoooooooooooo!

7. Whizkid

Whizkid Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 11, 2003

I was wondering if anyone was playing Just Cause on their Xbox 360. The game got decent to good reviews, but it really is a blast to play. It has to have the largest map of any 3D game ever: 390 sq miles. It consists of 21 main missions, 130 settlement/city liberations, and several hundred side missions. There are over a hundred vehicles and thirty weapons to aquire and use. It is over the top and completely unrealistic, but i've had so much fun with it that it hardly matters.

8. zacparis

Sep 1, 2003
    I agree, it's a fun game to play. The map is huge, really huge, it's only let down by the fact most of it is endless jungle. But the scenery graphics are superb, some of it is almost breathtaking.

9. zacparis

Sep 1, 2003
    I've just been playing the Superman Returns demo, and it's one fun game! It's crazy, cause I never even saw the movie, and never been a big Superman fan, but I think I'll be getting this game.

10. NightHunter319

NightHunter319 Jedi Master star 4

Jul 14, 2005
    Another question, by the peak of the 360, how many players should they be able to fight online?

11. zacparis

Sep 1, 2003
    I'm not sure even Microsoft knows when the "peak" of the 360 will be. If I understand your question correctly, recent/popular games always have plenty of people to play with at any given time.

12. Drew_Atreides

Apr 30, 2002
    That's nice to hear. For some reason, i've been very interested in this Superman game (and i've never really been a huge fan of Superman, either.)

13. __Vader__

__Vader__ Jedi Master star 3

May 23, 2005
    To give a comparison it was recently posted here that Gears of War has topped Halo 2 as the most popular online game for Xbox. This means that there are already more people playing online on Xbox 360 than on Xbox. That hopefully means that its peak will be much higher than the original Xbox's which I believe was over 1 million.

14. Drew_Atreides

Apr 30, 2002
    I picked up "Superman Returns" today.

One thing i have to get out of the way: They did an EXCELLENT job of capturing what it feels like to BE Superman. The powers are implemented near-perfectly. Flying is as second nature as walking across the street. You have your heat vision, you have your super breath. You can create a sonic boom when you break the sound barrier. You can rocket straight up in the air, or you can rocket forwards. You also can opt for the "Smallville" Super-speed, ala THE FLASH. It's absolutely awesome.

Too bad it's implemented in such an otherwise dull game. I had visions of Grand Theft-Superman. The open-ended world seemed to promise that. What you get instead is nothing like it. You basically do have an open-ended world to wandera round in, but there's really nothing to DO. Once you get past the initial thrill of being Superman, there's not much else for you other then killing robots, killing more robots and OH killing more robots.

I keep hearing that there are dragons thrown in there too, but i haven't gotten to those yet.

By the by, the game has nothing to do with the movie. There are cutscenes interspaced throughout where you see a Kevin Spacey-voiced Lex doing his thing from the movie, but reportedly you never actually meet up with him. That's just strange.

It's odd. In some ways this is the best Superman game yet made, but it still manages to be a huge disappointment. So much promise wasted.

15. zacparis

Sep 1, 2003
    That's a shame, but I kinda had the feeling the fun wouldn't last.

16. JediPrettyBoy

JediPrettyBoy Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 10, 2005
    I am planning on getting a 360 this Christmas or around that time.

With the Wii and the PS3 out, the 360 isn't going to be Microsoft's "Saturn/Dreamcast" is it? Does it look like this system is still going to compete so that 360 owners can feel assured that games are still going to be made for this system for a while?

I was just wondering because I have noticed that the Sam's, Wal-Mart, Best Buy, etc stores appear to have an abundance of Xbox 360's. I know that the 360 has been out for a year now, but I was expecting to see a lot of 360 sales since PS3's would be so hard to find.

Is the system any good? Judging by the games I have played on it so far, it appears to be a good system, but I just don't want to buy the next flop.

17. zacparis

Sep 1, 2003
    No one can predict how the battle will play out, but I think it's safe to say the 360 will not flop. Consoles usually flop because of stiff competition, lack of third party support and lack of resources/money to see the console compete.

None of those are any real challenge to the 360. It has massive financial backing, plenty of third party support (the growing number of 360 exclusives shows this), a huge and growing online community and is one of only three next gen consoles. The market is big enough to support all three for years to come IMO.

18. JediPrettyBoy

Jan 10, 2005
    With the component HD AV cable, what resolution do standard DVD's play at on the Xbox 360?

Should I just hook up the 360 for games only and buy a separate upconvert DVD player which I can hook up to my HDMI connection on the same TV?

All I have right now is a PS2 hooked up to my component connection which does not even play games anymore, but just plays DVD's; therefore, anything is going to be an improvement, more than likely.

19. MarcusP2

MarcusP2 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 10, 2004
    DVDs on the 360 are limited to 480p only.

20. Darth_A-skicker

Darth_A-skicker Jedi Youngling star 1

Nov 24, 2006
    I'm a waitin until they lower the price.

21. JediPrettyBoy

Jan 10, 2005
    Thanks for your responses. I think I am going get the 360 and buy a separate upconvert DVD player so I don't wear out the 360. Best Buy has some good deals on some Phillips and Sony upconvert players that connect via the HDMI connection. Maybe, by next Christmas I can afford a PS3 and figure out a place to put the DVD player.

22. Well_Of_Souls

Well_Of_Souls Jedi Master star 5

Aug 26, 2001
    I'm asking for a 360 for Christmas (my first foray into the new generation of consoles), but I'm getting worried about all this talk on the net I've read about malfunctioning systems. It seems to be a huge problem, as if pretty much every 360 has or will break down after a very short amount of use.

I'm just wondering if any of you have had problems with your system or if it just seems like a bigger problem than it actually is.

23. JediPrettyBoy

Jan 10, 2005
    I don't have a 360 yet either, but am planning on getting one around Christmas as well; therefore, I understand your concerns. From what I have heard, so far, in this forum, from friends who have one, and from employees at Best Buy, EB, and Circuit City, that it is the exception for the X-box 360 to be having any problems, at this point. Last year was the first production run of the 360 so they were having all sorts of problems just as the PS3 is having problems with its first run this year. From what I have been told, if you have enough connections on your TV, you should go ahead and get a 360 this year and wait until next Christmas to get a PS3.

I have been advised that, with any of these systems, you may want to get a separate DVD player so as to not wear out the systems.

My plan is to get a 360 this year to hook up via the component connection and a decent upconvert DVD player to hook up through my HDMI connection. Then, next year, get a PS3 to hook up through the HDMI connection replacing the upconvert player. I can, then, alternate playing movies through the X-box 360 and the PS3 so I am cutting the wear and tear on both systems in half while still getting the benefits of having both systems hooked into one TV.

24. zacparis

Sep 1, 2003
    I bought mine back in March and it hasn't broke... yet.

25. JediPrettyBoy

Jan 10, 2005
    Just out of curiousity, do you have the fan attachment for your 360?