main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

VIDEO Billie Gates is Not My Lover: The Xbox 360 Discussion

Discussion in 'Archive: Games' started by Handmaiden Yané, Oct 17, 2006.

1. Reynar_Tedros

Reynar_Tedros Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jul 3, 2006
    Mass Effect?

2. moosemousse

moosemousse CR Emeritus: FF-UK South star 6

Oct 3, 2004
    I have ME1 and ME2 on the PC. They are good games, but they're also shooters, which I don't really want.

3. Valyn

Valyn Jedi Master star 8

Mar 2, 2002
    Mass Effect 1 and 2 (shooter/RPG)
    Dead Space (space shooter/horror)
    Assassin's Creed 2 and Brotherhood (action adventure/mp)
    Prince of Persia: Forgotten Sands (action adventure/platforming)
    Bioshock (shooter)
    The Force Unleashed 1 (action adventure)
    Fable 2 and 3 (action adventure/RPG)
    Caste Crashers (XBLA/freaking fun)

4. Darth_Invidious

Darth_Invidious Force Ghost star 6

Jun 21, 1999
    As of right now, the only games I have are the entire Halo series (including Halo Wars) and Mass Effect 2.

Yes, Mass Effect features plenty of gunplay, but I wouldn't go as far as calling the game strictly a shooter since shooting is only part of your combat repertoire and there's still plenty of RP elements to consider. And the driving force behind the series is the story, not the combat, which is the difference between an RPG and the runn of the mill shooters like a Halo or a Crock-o-Doody.

5. Valyn

Valyn Jedi Master star 8

Mar 2, 2002
    If I were you, I would also download Portal and Braid from Xbox Live. Portal is a puzzle game setup in the style of a shooter, but it's completely mind-blowing.

Braid is a 2D platformer, but it's very, very well done. Excellent music, interesting story, mind-boggling puzzles. Very, very beautiful.

6. Darth_Invidious

Darth_Invidious Force Ghost star 6

Jun 21, 1999
    Portal is simply outstanding and its sequel looks like it'll be mindblowing. But for a much better deal, just pickup The Orange Box at the nearest discount bin. It includes Portal as well as Halflife 2 and itsa episode/sequels, as well as a little bundle of mayhem called Team Fortress 2.

7. moosemousse

Oct 3, 2004
    Will have to look into Braid at some point, and I might get the Orange Box if I see it on the cheap.

Just thought I'd give you guys the heads up on something awesome I found. It's a game called 'Harm's Way' and it is great. You have two team, the racers and the shooters. The shooters have turrets and shoot out the racers, and the racers race each other to win the race. Had a quick go as a shooter and it's great fun. 200G in total on achievements, one of which is just for watching the credits. The best thing is that it's free! Harm's Way, get it now! :D

8. Valyn

Valyn Jedi Master star 8

Mar 2, 2002
    The great thing about Xbox Live, imo, is that you can download demos for most these games to see if you like them or not. Portal and Braid both have demos up on Live.

9. DarkEagle

DarkEagle Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 10, 2009
    Aegis Wing is also free on Live, its an old-school side-scrolling space ship shooter

10. moosemousse

Oct 3, 2004
    I can't find Aegis Wing. Got a link for it?

11. Valyn

Valyn Jedi Master star 8

Mar 2, 2002
    Where are you searching? Try the Arcade section in Xbox Live. If it's not there, search the Demos section maybe.

12. moosemousse

Oct 3, 2004
    Well, I found it. It took me a few minutes to realise that it's not appearing anywhere on the XBL site and a quick google to get it, and then I got this:
    Seriously, I can't be the only one as annoyed as I am about region restrictions, especially when they seem arbitrary and random and completely lacking in any kind of sense. It's all "oh no, you can't have this because we're [not very nice]" or "oh no, you can't have that because it's fun and we hate you" or something equally rubbish.

13. timmoishere

timmoishere Force Ghost star 6

Jun 2, 2007
    Live in a place that doesn't have region restrictions!

14. Darth-Lando

Darth-Lando Jedi Grand Master star 6

Aug 12, 2002
  15. DarkEagle

Jan 10, 2009
    Just want to recommend for those that like free MS points: use the Bing Rewards program (400 MS for 400 bing points) [face_peace]

16. moosemousse

Oct 3, 2004
    You'll have to elaborate? What are Bing points? How do I get them? Is this another US only malarky or can anyone get in on this?

17. DarkEagle

Jan 10, 2009
    Search for "Bing Rewards", you need a windows live account, then you download their "Bing bar" and go from there. Should be 250 starting points, then up to a certain limit on points/search done on Bing, plus on occasion you recieve bonus points for "special" searches. Im almost at 800 and I started late January

18. moosemousse

Oct 3, 2004
    Thanks! I registered and it didn't say anything about where I live so I'm guessing it's all good. Should be about a week or so before I can get my first MS Points code. :D

I got Blacklight: Tango Down while it's on offer for 600 points instead of 1200. I'm a bit rubbish but it's pretty decent.

I also got Viking, which is fun and I think it's what I was looking for. It's all swords and magic which makes a nice change from shooting stuff.

19. Valyn

Valyn Jedi Master star 8

Mar 2, 2002
    Ugh. Apparently you need to use IE. I hate IE.

20. moosemousse

Oct 3, 2004
    Just use it to get the points each day (a maximum of 16 with searches iirc) and then don't use it.

21. moosemousse

Oct 3, 2004
    So, uh, I have over 400 Bing Points which I'm wanting to trade in for MS Points, but the site is being rubbish and wanting a US address. I dug one up on the internet but every time I go to the checkout it says 'your address is incomplete' and won't let me go further. I've checked and double checked and it's just being stupid.

22. moosemousse

Oct 3, 2004
    So, uh, sorry for the three posts in a row thing, but I thought I'd mention this. There are loads of Arcade games for cheap on XBLA right now, with one day only deals coming on the 1st.

Some of the games that interest me are:
    Costume Quest (600 points)
    Monkey Island 2: Special Edition (400 points)
    Doom 2 (400 points)
    After Burner Climax (400 points)

I'm waiting to see what'll be on offer on the 1st before I buy anything though.

23. Jedi_Matt

Jedi_Matt Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 11, 2002
    Can anyone in the UK tell me how to get the episodic back to the future games?

Up to a couple of weeks ago none of these were available, and I'm fed up with checking each day.

24. moosemousse

Oct 3, 2004
    It's not out on XBLA yet, but I'll keep an eye out and let you know if/when I hear anything.

I'm quite annoyed right now. I was all ready to cash in my Bing points for some MS points so I could get the code before tonight and hopefully spend some on some discounted games, but I've hit a problem. They've put the price up. 400 MS points now costs 500 Bing points. What makes things worse is that I would have had over 400 Bing points yesterday had it not been for two points offers not working. Not happy. [face_plain]

25. Darth-Lando

Darth-Lando Jedi Grand Master star 6

Aug 12, 2002
    I'm fairly certain the Back to the Future games are not and will not be available on Live. They are PC/PS3/iPad only.