main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Memph, TN Billy Dee on TV!

Discussion in 'SouthEast Regional Discussion' started by Dork-Vader, Mar 5, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Qui-Gon Tim

Qui-Gon Tim Memphis, TN FanForce Chapter Rep star 5

Apr 1, 2000
    I shoulda gotten my butt up early on Friday. I knew I'd regret not going. Where's my "Redo" button?

2. Dork-Vader

Dork-Vader Star Wars Sketch Card Artist star 4 VIP

May 14, 2003
    I need to slide by Kev's tonight after work and pick up the pictures. He dropped them on disk. Once I get them I'll add them to the MSC ones and burn ya'll copies.

If anyone wants MSC copies and/or Billy Dee PM me your snail mail addy and I'll get them out by this weekend.

3. Dork-Vader

May 14, 2003
    Here's the 'old smoothie' with (l-r) Lin, Kevin, TimC, and John in back.

[image=http://pic2.picturetrail.com/VOL6/121440/220626/50292880.jpg]

4. DarthToddy

DarthToddy Jedi Youngling star 2

Jan 22, 2004
    Who are those "sexy men"!!!!! To sexy To sexy!!!!!

I feel cooler just for meeting him ;) now we know who the coolest SMTers are now LOL

Big headed John

5. Jedi Trace

Jedi Trace Former RSA star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 15, 1999
    That's great!! I'm so jealous. You guys met a cool SW celeb......I'm still stuck with Ozzel as my only contact.

6. Dork-Vader

May 14, 2003
    I feel cooler just for meeting him now we know who the coolest SMTers are now LOL

I wonder...

"How you doing, Chewbacca..?"

Nope, I'm still just a fanboy-, but sometimes it's cool to be one!

Billy Dee! Billy Dee!

7. Dork-Vader

May 14, 2003
    Saw this on TFN-

Happy Birthday Lando Calrissian and Major Derlin!
    Tue, Apr 06, 04 12:36:07 PM EDT

TFN wishes Billy Dee Williams and John Ratzenberger a Happy Birthday!
    Billy Dee, who played Lando Calrissian in ESB and ROTJ, is 67 today. He will be at Jedi-Con 2004 in Germany this weekend.

John, who played Major Derlin in ESB, is 57 today. Best known for playing Cliff in Cheers and doing voice work in Disney films such as ?Toy Story? and ?Monsters Inc?, he will next be heard as a character in Pixar's ?The Incredibles?.

Thanks to Probe Droid and Skylover for the alerts.

And here's a link to Billy Dee's art, one biography, and a filmography.

8. DarthMule

DarthMule Jedi Youngling star 3

Jun 6, 2003
    Thanks to John for getting Lin, Tim and Me in to meet Billy Dee. I wonder if me and him are cousins, 'cause we have the same last name. Hmmm...

9. Qui-Gon Tim

Apr 1, 2000
    Kevin: I thought I saw a resemblance there. Maybe you're Billy Dee's love chile! (And I did say 'chile' not 'child'. This is Billy Dee we talkin' bout!)

BTW- The new Spider-Man book comes out soon.

10. Dork-Vader

May 14, 2003
    Didn't I hear something about that at MSC..?

Hey, John- did you get the picture CD I left for you at the front desk?

11. DarthToddy

DarthToddy Jedi Youngling star 2

Jan 22, 2004
    Got it..........it rocks...........we need to take many more pics of me and a lightsaber ;) I make it look so easy LOL!!!!!!!! Got a reject Anakin FX today off ebay for $20....hope it somwhat works :( !! I'll let ya know how it turns out!!!

John

12. DarthMule

Jun 6, 2003
    I checked out his website. Did you notice he sells 8x10 color autographed photos of himself for $40 friggin' dollars? YIPE!!

That's why he kept telling us at FOX 13 that "I don't normally do this kind of thing..."

I guess he forgot to say, "...for free."

13. Dork-Vader

May 14, 2003
    I've noticed at a lot of the autograph signings I've been to, especially Metropolis lately, they limit you to one item autographed, or for each additional one they will charge you $20+ wether it's one of thier items or yours. I think ebay! is a main reason for that. Another is autograph hounds/hogs. I've seen folks plop down a stack of things for someone to sign on many occasions and act like it's that celebs duty to sign everything in front of them, even if there are other fans waiting for just one autograph. I think 1-2 is plenty per encounter with a celeb. Always have the thing you want most signed with you, and then a secondary just in case you get lucky and it's not slammed. I always try to ask if they would mind signing it and be very thankful and respectful. I may also mention what I enjoyed most that they did or say that it is great to see them in town and hope they are enjoying the event/stay, and leave it to that while they are signing. Any more and you're taking up other fans' time and risking sounding like a fanboy! I have found that having unusual or rare photos can be a plus- it is usually fun for the celeb to see something out of the norm. Having them sign a photo of you and them together at a previous event is cool, too. I try to make sure I give them a copy as well, and maybe even sign it for them saying thanks. I've also tried to be respectful of their time at cons. Many are fans just like us and want to see everything without being hasseled or cornered into a conversation. Many celebs don't mind posing for a quick photo or sign a program while you have a quick chat about a booth you're both looking at. Worst case is that they tell you their sceduled for an autograph session later in the con- or call security because you're foaming at the mouth!

A lof of folks now will also insist on putting "To____/For____My buddy___", etc. because of folks selling them on the secondary market. (see the scene in Comic Book: The Movie where Matt Greonig(sp?) asks if he should "...make it out to ebay! so it'll sell quicker?")

One of the main reasons for $autographs$ is that it's how a lot of stars make their money these days at cons, on-line, or at other signings. Sometimes it's how they cover the cost of their trip. The days of a free signed B&W 8"x10" are pretty much coming to an end I'm afraid.

I've been on both sides of the signing table and always get a kick out of each.

14. DarthMule

Jun 6, 2003
    But I bet you wish you were getting $40.00 for a signature. If that's the case, I owe you a LOT of money...sheesh...

15. Dork-Vader

May 14, 2003
    Yeah, I think the last signing I did cost me money!

16. Qui-Gon Tim

Apr 1, 2000
    No, Lin will create for food. I know this.

17. Dork-Vader

May 14, 2003
    I guess that's why I don't look like a starving artist!

18. DarthMule

Jun 6, 2003
    Wocka Wocka!!

More pics are up under the Billy Dee Williams album at www.picturetrail.com/muleythemule.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.