main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Billy Dee Williams (Lando Calrissian) in Episode IX

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by TheLateAdmiralPiett, Dec 14, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ewoksimon

ewoksimon Chosen One star 5

Oct 26, 2009
    The jury's still out for me as to Williams' involvement. In any case, I wouldn't bet on Lando having a prominent role, assuming none of the new characters are familiar with him.

DarthBane93 likes this.
  2. littlewaves

littlewaves Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 19, 2008
    well both Rey and Finn had heard of Han Solo so figures they might have heard of Lando. Also fair chance some of the resistance guys know him. Would be odd if Poe wasn't at least aware of him given his parents fought at the battle of Endor.

But yeah I don't imagine any role for him will be huge

Last edited: Jun 22, 2018
  3. ewoksimon

ewoksimon Chosen One star 5

Oct 26, 2009
    Sure, the younger characters are probably aware of Lando's history with the Rebellion just as they were familiar with the legends of Luke, Han and Leia. But I think it would be tough to insert Lando into Episode IX when he doesn't have any prior relationship with any of the new leads, and given that the main objective of the film is to wrap up so many other narrative threads.

4. ComfortablyNunb

ComfortablyNunb Jedi Master star 3

Nov 21, 2015
    Episode 9 is a perfect time for Lando to return. No "respectable" leaders answered Leia's call for help in TLJ, so here comes our smooth old scoundrel to save the day. Have Lando gather all the shady but anti-First Order smugglers, bounty hunters and gangs for an epic final battle. In fact, maybe that's what he's been doing since he heard about Han's death.

I don't know how much filming BDW can handle with his health, but at the very least, I think they can do one big "save the day" scene -- almost like It's a Wonderful Life, where the kindness of old friends saves our heroes.

Last edited: Jun 22, 2018
  5. G-FETT

G-FETT Chosen One star 7

Aug 10, 2001
    Nice. :cool:

6. Krueger

Krueger Chosen One star 5

Aug 9, 2004
    Yeah, I did think the whole "No one is answering our calls" bit in TLJ can be used to set Lando up perfectly.

BigAl6ft6 and Django Fett like this.
  7. HankSolo

HankSolo Jedi Master star 3

Dec 3, 2012
    I like that idea.

8. themoth

themoth Force Ghost star 5

Dec 5, 2015
    Yeah, it would work nicely. He’s an outsider not connected to anyone in the resistance, and could very well be retired at this point. But he comes back into the fray.

christophero30 likes this.
  9. Oissan

Oissan Chosen One star 7

Mar 9, 2001
    Apparently Billy Dee Williams cancelled his appearance at the Saskatchewan Entertainment Expo in mid September due to "conflicts with his shootings schedule". Doesn't necessarily mean that it has to do with Episode IX, but that movie does start shooting at the end of July and thus should still be shooting in September. That's far from a confirmation but definately yet another hint at him being involved in IX. Especially with him not having any other projects currently announced.

Last edited: Jul 2, 2018
  10. Django Fett

Django Fett Force Ghost star 5

Nov 7, 2012
    Does Lando need direct links to Rey, Finn and Poe?

Well it isn't unlikely that Poe ran into Lando when he was a kid, nor some of the senior commanders in Leia's group such as Ematt, who seems to have been retconned into the Endor Strike Team.

But the most obvious link is the son of his best friend and sometime rival.

TadoFett and Krueger like this.
  11. Krueger

Krueger Chosen One star 5

Aug 9, 2004
    I would think there's a high chance that Lando and Poe have brushed shoulders before.

christophero30 likes this.
  12. christophero30

christophero30 Chosen One star 10

May 18, 2017
    Lando would be my reason to see Episode 9. That and Force Ghost Anakin. [face_praying]

My Palpatine Eyes likes this.
  13. Thrawn082

Thrawn082 Force Ghost star 6

Jan 11, 2014
    It's ridiculous that in a trilogy where one of his oldest friends, Han Solo, is MURDERED and his other friends are desperate for allies, that he hasn't even been mentioned/referenced yet, let alone appeared

TadoFett and JediLight like this.
  14. Rodie

Rodie Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 16, 2014
    Even if Poe or other current rebels haven't met Lando before he can still be in 9. That's not a prerequisite.

Did Nein Nunb die in TLJ?

Last edited: Jul 2, 2018
  15. DarthBane93

DarthBane93 Force Ghost star 4

Jun 11, 1999
    Hate to say it but to me its too little too late for Lando. I am sure he will have some kind of cameo but throwing him in here just feels like desperation to me. To me this all feels too "off" somehow...and I like Lando.

ahsokatano713 likes this.
  16. Jamtia

Jamtia Jedi Knight star 3

Apr 5, 2016
    To be honest, I am actually kind of insulted by this. Lando is one of my all time favorite SW characters. He was the character you hated to love in Empire, but Billy totally sold the character and the charm to him was second to none. After pretty much getting the gang into the mess they were in, he impressively helps by rescuing Han and playing a key part in taking the second Death Star. He is there rightfully there at the end celebrating at Endor with everyone. To me, at the end of Jedi, I assumed Lando would stay with the Rebels, even if he returned to Cloud City or elsewhere. I feel like he was always an ally to call.

But nope. In TFA, I have no idea why BDW wasn't in this to begin with. At a comic con I was at in 2016, he said he was open to returning and didn't know why he wasn't called. Wasn't he at TFA premiere? If you wanted to leave Lando till 8 or 9, at least mention him in TFA as an Easter Egg.

Han could have brought him up to Rey and Finn or even Leia. "I haven't seen Lando since I left," leaving some good mystery to the character. Though if that were the case, who knew what RJ would have done with him in TLJ. Obviously there were multiple scenarios where you could have fit him.

1) Reunite with Leia in space following the passing of Han.
    2) Lando replacing Maz on the computer screen. Would have made sense that Lando knew buddies on Canto that he gambled with. Still don't get why Maz would send them there to begin with.
    3) Canto Bight. Makes sense for a gambler. Could have been the code breaker, but honestly glad he wasn't there. I would have been upset the Lando we grew up with refused to help the Rebels like Luke did and took out his sorrows in gambling.
    4) Replacing DJ. Never saw Lando as a hacker, but maybe it would have worked?
    5) Leia's distress signal. I mean by this time, it's kind of late to introduce him. That moment was for Luke and I am glad Lando wasn't shoved in then. But Leia could have said "Lando couldn't make it."

So now in 9, if Lando is going to reunite with someone, it will probably have to be Poe. They will have to explain how and when they knew each other. Would like to know how long Lando was gone from the gang but we probably won't know since there is no old gang around, though he can still interact with Chewie,Droids and yes even Nien Nunb.

I get that there was no solid plan on when to include Lando, but I guess his absence could potentially end up as Finn being a Calrissian reveal. Would make both Han and Lando's sons at the same place of the start of the trilogy which is kind of fitting. Maybe Ren stole Finn?

All I really want from Lando though is to survive 9, get aboard the falcon again, and a Nien Nunb reunion.

17. Thrawn082

Jan 11, 2014
    Considering that BDW was willing to voice Lando on Rebels even, I have a hard time believing that he wouldn't at least consider returning if LF bothered to call him about it.

TadoFett and afrojedi like this.
  18. BalanceOfTheForce

BalanceOfTheForce Jedi Master star 4

Dec 18, 2016
    I swear if they kill them him off.... There's more ways to end a characters story than killing them off. Just have Lando and the Resistance win and have Lando happily live out the rest of his life.

19. afrojedi

afrojedi Jedi Master star 4

Oct 23, 2015
    I believe the bolded part is the problem. I can't imagine the rest of the OT core characters returning and BDW saying no. It's more likely the new writers don't see him adding value to the story they are telling.

20. Thrawn082

Jan 11, 2014
    Which is ridiculous.

21. Adept

Adept Force Ghost star 4

Mar 4, 2006
    [​IMG]

LFL/Disney: "He'll be granted an honorable and noble death....but we're WIPING THE SLATE CLEAN!!"

LFL/Disney: "Star Wars is going to start over!"

[​IMG]

In all seriousness, Lando could have a role in things if so desired by the writers, and I'm pretty sure everyone would enjoy seeing his return to set.

11-4D likes this.
  22. Mungo Baobab

Mungo Baobab Manager Emeritus star 4 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 2, 2014
    Apparently, BDW has cancelled a convention appearance scheduled for September, due to filming commitments.

23. PymParticles

PymParticles Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 1, 2014
    We should be a few weeks away from that sweet, sweet "Episode IX has begun filming" announcement, and I'm crossing everything short of my eyes that his name will be in the cast list.

24. themoth

themoth Force Ghost star 5

Dec 5, 2015
    If Lando doesn't appear at all I'd be greatly annoyed. But I think it's going to turn out okay regardless. Why do I say this? Because in terms of classic characters TFA belonged to Han. TLJ gave Luke the floor. And IX can be Lando’s time to shine…along with a cameo from Luke. Intentional or not, the characters have been staggered in their appearances.

Last edited: Jul 4, 2018
  25. Django Fett

Django Fett Force Ghost star 5

Nov 7, 2012
    I could see PH coming out and saying "Lando died before the ST began" if BDW isn't involved in IX. It's an easy get out for the story group, even if people don't buy it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.