main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Billy Dee Williams (Lando Calrissian) in Episode IX

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by TheLateAdmiralPiett, Dec 14, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Darth Smurf

Darth Smurf Small, but Lethal star 6

Dec 22, 2015
    If Billy Dee is not in the condition to play Lando any more they could replace him.
    Carl Weathers would be a clone option :p

2. Thrawn082

Thrawn082 Force Ghost star 6

Jan 11, 2014
    Not really. If anything, the movie is neck deep in the past and feels even more "OT-like" by the end than it did at the beginning.

TadoFett likes this.
  3. Jedi Knight Fett

Jedi Knight Fett Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2014
    More OT like then TFA?

4. Thrawn082

Thrawn082 Force Ghost star 6

Jan 11, 2014
    ^Yep. By the end of TLJ, the FO is essentially The Empire 2.0 (now having control of the Galaxy), The Resistance is The Rebellion (they even start calling themselves that), Luke goes the way of OT Obi Wan, Rey is "the new hope" like he was in the OT, similar endings, etc.

Anyway the thing is, Lando doesn't need to be out of the front lines shooting things. If Billy Dee cannot do the physical stuff anymore, just don't write Lando as having that kind of role, it's not that hard really.

Django Fett and TadoFett like this.
  5. ewoksimon

ewoksimon Chosen One star 5

Oct 26, 2009
    I'll amend my statement to say that TLJ is about learning from the past in order to forge a new future. And given that TLJ is the film that traffics the least in obvious nostalgia, trying to shoehorn more OT callbacks in Episode IX would feel regressive to me.

6. Rodie

Rodie Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 16, 2014
    If Glover is the breakout scene-stealer of SOLO, then I think that only increases the chances that Lando makes a cameo in Episode 9. I don't see why they couldn't have Lando turn up as a surprise in the final space battle with a few more ships to help out and help turn the tide. Why not? Then Williams just needs to be seated at the helm of a cruiser and given 2-3 lines. Could be great and really easy way to integrate him.

Last edited: Feb 7, 2018
  7. GregMcP

GregMcP Force Ghost star 5

Jul 7, 2015
    See seemed pretty ricketty at the last Celebration.
    But a cameo... Have him at Leia's funeral. Just a few seconds.

I don't think it would have worked in TLJ. The circumstances weren't right.

8. Jedi Jessy

Jedi Jessy Force Ghost star 5

Feb 28, 2016
    It's not hard to make him show up for some minutes. Please, Lucasfilm [face_praying]

themoth likes this.
  9. miasma

miasma Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 29, 2013
    With Han and Leia being gone, I just can't really picture how Lando's presence would work. Yeah, he could be at a memorial service for Han/Leia, but really the time to include him would have been when he could have interacted with them, especially Han. I just don't want them to shoehorn him into the movie simply for the sake of having him there, like they did with Maz in TLJ.

10. Oissan

Oissan Chosen One star 7

Mar 9, 2001
    I think it can work just fine, if you have him as leader of the resistance/rebellion who came from from the outer rim to help against the First Order (remember the "we still have allies..." line). With Leia gone, and none of the remaining people being all that high in the hierachy, what better person to come in and help as further figure to rally around than a hero of the rebellion?

It's true, he doesn't really have many people to interact with, beyond Chewie, but he doesn't really need to. Having him meet the old buddies would have been great, but it is not something that is needed for the character to work in IX.

11. seattlemusicnerd

seattlemusicnerd Jedi Master star 3

Dec 23, 2014
    I really like the idea of him being the one to answer Leia's plea for assistance. He doesn't have to be on the front lines, but he can help rally systems to the cause.

Jedi Jessy likes this.
  12. Jedi Jessy

Jedi Jessy Force Ghost star 5

Feb 28, 2016
    Also Lando has experience as general and was important in the assault on the Death Star II. He has several reasons to appear in the Resistance

13. AAA_Tarpals

AAA_Tarpals Jedi Master star 1

Jan 1, 2015
  14. sheri1967

sheri1967 Jedi Master star 1

Jun 5, 2006
  15. themoth

themoth Force Ghost star 5

Dec 5, 2015
    I really hope so. I think seeing Lando in IX would make the sequel trilogy feel even more complete, given the returning characters from the classic trilogy we've already seen. He could be given the Han Solo treatment of TFA. Shown to be a funny scoundrel, but this time the character isn't killed. JJ could have fun with such a character.

16. GregMcP

GregMcP Force Ghost star 5

Jul 7, 2015
    But he'd have to die at the end of the movie, of course.

17. Jamtia

Jamtia Jedi Knight star 3

Apr 5, 2016
    I’m fine if he has a reunion with Chewie and Nien Nunb.

TadoFett and Krueger like this.
  18. littlewaves

littlewaves Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 19, 2008
    I don't really think it matter who or what he interacts with. For me Billy Dee gave pretty much the best performance in Jedi and that was mostly just in the Falcon with NN and on the line to Ackbar and he really sold it for me keeping up the sense of urgency in the last act.

Django Fett and TadoFett like this.
  19. TadoFett

TadoFett Jedi Grand Master star 3

Aug 16, 2004
    Billy Dee Williams has a bad hip or something like that, but looks well enough to act. He probably couldn't do any action scenes involving running, etc., but could be onscreen and flying ships, etc. I really hope that they include him as one of the allies Leia alluded too.

20. Django Fett

Django Fett Force Ghost star 5

Nov 7, 2012
    Lando like Han was a hot shot pilot, Han showed in TFA that you never lose that. Though at this time I can only see them bringing him back for Kylo to kill.

21. HankSolo

HankSolo Jedi Master star 3

Dec 3, 2012
    Kathleen Kennedy, if you are listening...BRING BACK LANDO!

TadoFett and seattlemusicnerd like this.
  22. RandomGreyJ

RandomGreyJ Jedi Master star 4

Jun 14, 2016
    You're making me genuinely curious if Lando ever settled down and had a family. He'd be the only OT member to successfully do it lol. I think there was a comic at one point that had him and Sana teaming up. I can't imagine what he's up to post-VI.

It's just funny because he's in Battlefront II as a General, which contains a time skip of a few months I believe. So it's weird that he's suddenly gone without a trace or even a mention. But like you said, maybe ultimately it's for the best? At the rate we're at, I can't imagine LF giving him a fulfilling conclusion besides death or some other tragic turn of events that ruined his life and turned him into a failure. Part of me still can't believe Luke died without ever having a family of his own or falling in love.

23. Tyrian

Tyrian Jedi Grand Master star 3

Feb 5, 2000
    I think its a safe bet that Lando is going to be the breakout star of the Solo movie, and thus it would be a damn shame (and stupid move) to NOT have Lando / Billy Dee Williams in Episode 9.... Cause Billy Dee Williams definetely still has his swagger.

TLJ pissed away so much of TFA setup and future Episode 9 potential, with the worst effect being it made me somewhat nonchalent towards Episode 9 and self-questioning how much I actually care... bringing back Lando is one way to help reignite my excitement for Episode 9.

Last edited: Feb 10, 2018
  24. Django Fett

Django Fett Force Ghost star 5

Nov 7, 2012
    Billy only has to turn to camera and smile and he's Lando again.

25. oncafar

oncafar Force Ghost star 6

Jan 10, 2017
    TadoFett likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.