[bin Laden] 'It's only a question of time'

Discussion in 'Archive: The Senate Floor' started by ObiWan506, Jan 19, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jp-30 Manager Emeritus

star 9
    What country? Terrorland?
  2. LeeKenobi Jedi Grand Master

star 6
    Disneyland Paris.
  3. Master_Starwalker Manager Emeritus

star 6
    Conspiracy theorist that I can be I'd actually thought of things somewhat like that, not sure I believe them but they're interesting none the less.
  4. SteveZ Jedi Knight

star 1
    I watched and episode of CSI where these people in a small town were poisined with LSD +a drug that causes amnesia. The guy put it into some candy at the bank and also on the part of an envelope where you have to lick it to get it stuck to it. I guess LSD can be put into that licky part of the envelope and not be noticed by the naked eye.

I really thought about this and wondered if this is what maybe Bin Laden was doing to attack us. Like Biochemical warfare?
  5. insineration Jedi Padawan

I don't think Bin Laden is that smart to do that. I mean I know he thought up the whole 9/11 thing but still doing that would be going a little too far.
  6. ObiWan506 Former Head Admin

star 7
    Why is it everytime the Republicans are in trouble a tape is released to sidetrack everyone?
  7. Falcon Chosen One

star 8
    Lee does have a good point, why announce it when its just gonna increase security through all the ports [face_thinking] He's doing this to get everyone riled up.

or maybe this is just his plan, get everyone riled up, wait until it calms down then attack [face_thinking]
  8. ObiWan506 Former Head Admin

star 7
    He announces this kind of crap to get everyone on edge, to make everyone fear him. As we're discussing in The Senate, he'll probably use the U.S.'s refusal of the truce to greater support himself within the Muslim Community.

Did bin Laden warn us about attacks on the U.S. before 9/11, or did we just think he might based off intelligence alone?
  9. SueAsideRide Force Ghost

star 4
    Don't let yourselves be fooled, folks. Bin Laden and his followers will wait as long as they have to for the right time to strike, and they don't mind taking months or years to get things right. Keep in mind that the 9/11 hijackers didn't just wake up one morning and decide to catch a plane. Time is a tool they use to lull people into a false sense of security while they plan their next attacks. The Bush administration wants you to believe that the war and increased security has prevented further attacks. Unfortunately, Al-Qaida doesn't operate that frequently. Killing Bin Laden will not stop Al-Qaida, and until the organization is completely dismantled, there will still be something to worry about. Sadly, I think the US's rhetoric is going to be proven fatally wrong.
  10. Falcon Chosen One

star 8
    If there was stuff through intelligence about the attack, and they ignored it. That was their mistake. With this kind of information they really should've tightened up security then and there instead of waiting to see what would happen. I feel the president took this way too lightly on his part, as such why I don't like Bush.

Thats my gut feeling, as soon as Laden feels the time is right, he's gonna attack.

11. yankee8255 Force Ghost

star 6
    Did anyone else find Scott McClellan's "We do not megotiate with terrorists, we put them out of business" comment was about the stupidest thing ever said? Hey Scott, 9/11 was 4.5 years ago, not only is al-quaeda not out of business, we haven't even managed to capture or kill Osama. Not exactly a record that entitles you to talk trash.
  12. ObiWan506 Former Head Admin

star 7
    You mean if there's another attack it'll just prove that the illegal wiretapes didn't do jack crap?
  13. Falcon Chosen One

star 8
    well I wouldn't put it that way, I mean they did pretty much ignore the first one, and theres a chance that they could find out their intelligence and take care of it permanetly.
  14. ObiWan506 Former Head Admin

star 7
    I'm not saying an attack will happen, but look at it this way; the first one we ignored completely. If another attack happens after all the wiretaps, troop movement in Afghanistan, and the war in Iraq ... what's that say about our confidence in the Administration when combating these terrorists?

Wait, I already know you're answer. "You can't possibly be 100% secure against terrorists like this".
  15. Chancellor_Ewok Force Ghost

star 6
    I agree. I don't think that Bin Laden is smart enough for that. Don't forget that he ordered the 9/11 attacks to be scaled back several times.
  16. Headphonekenobi Jedi Master

star 4
    The kink in the armor is within our own borders. It is a failure to control the borders, failure to racial profile, failure to work with Muslim Americans to find suspicious persons hiding in the masses of those who are here peacefully.

If we are attacked again it will have little to do with what we have or have not accomplished in Iraq or Afghanistan but more so with our failure to put security and preservation of life over all else including politics, congeniality, and the other nonsense that seems to be considered of greater importance.
  17. Errant_Venture Manager Emeritus

star 6
    You mean if there's another attack it'll just prove that the illegal wiretapes didn't do jack crap?

They caught a murderer in the Mid West back in '99 using those illegal wiretaps. Man was a suspected terrorist and the wiretap caught him killing his daughter. FBI didn't get to that part of the translation until 2000, but when they did they nailed him for murder. However do note that back in 1999 Bush wasn't in office and this happened under Clinton. Both the Dems and the Reps used that wiretapping to their own means.

18. ObiWan506 Former Head Admin

star 7
    But try to keep it simple. The Administration is broadcasting that these illegal wiretapes will "help stop terrorism". Well if terrorism still continues then that didn't happen now did it? I'm just going by what they have told us.

Moot point anyway. No one has attacked us yet and illegal wiretaps will be sanctioned as helping us rather then inflicting upon our personal liberties. But there's already a thread for that so I digress regardless.
  19. Errant_Venture Manager Emeritus

star 6
    But "Help" is the keyword there isn't it? Obviously it won't stop it and one shouldn't expect wiretaps to be the final solution to the terrorist problem but rather as just another means to it.

Now personally I may view it as a waste of resources to be potentially wiretapping millions of Americans but it would "help" stop terrorism. Besides it could've helped and that guy who killed his daughter (for dating an American behind his back) might possibly of been a terrorist. Doesn't really matter as he's in jail for 1st degree murder.

Another means of helping to stop terrorism is to crack down on arms dealers. I don't mean the independent guys who sell to the best paying customer, but also on nations who deal arms. And yes the US is the world's largest arms dealer but so are France, China, Russia and Britain. Cut back on the amount of weapons that are out there and it'd be harder for individual organizations to supply themselves. Not that it'd make much of a difference considering how many weapons are already out there, but still.

It is a failure to control the borders, failure to racial profile

Failure to racial profile? Racial profiling is completly unjust and should never be praticed! It is also very hard to effectivly control the borders in the States, I mean just look how many miles that we'd have to patrol to control it? Are you willing to dish out the resources to do that?

If we are attacked again it will have little to do with what we have or have not accomplished in Iraq or Afghanistan but more so with our failure to put security and preservation of life over all else including politics, congeniality, and the other nonsense that seems to be considered of greater importance.

Actually I think anyone who thinks Iraq and Afghanistan are short term projects and if there are no results within 4 years isn't looking at the bigger picture. The key to defeating Bin Laden in the end is changing the mindset of the youth of the Arab world and in order to do that, it takes time. Parents won't be that open to change as they are too engrossed in their daily life/culture/beliefs. However children are impressionable and I wouldn't be surprised if in 18 years Iraq is viewed as a success rather than a failure. As its ultimatly the next generation that will decide Iraq's fate.
  20. ObiWan506 Former Head Admin

star 7
    Okay, but where has it helped us? Is bin Laden captured? Is al qaeda dismantled? Certainly if another attack were to happen that's sort of going a step in the wrong direction, right? Anyways, I will find the wiretap thread and continue this discussion in there. :)

Simply put though, I hope to God that the Administration is doing more then they're willing to tell us regarding combating terrorism. I'm certainly not trying to instill fear into everyone, because I'm not. But this shouldn't be brushed under the rug as just another message from bin Laden.
  21. Headphonekenobi Jedi Master

star 4
    So racial profiling is ok when it comes to government aid for college etc. but unacceptable for national security?

And yes I would be willing to pay more taxes or whatever you were implying to control our borders. As long as the borders are open and Bush continues to pander to Fox terrorists and drug smugglers have a open route to get in and do us harm. The double fence that was recently approved is a step in the right direction but it should have been done after 9/11 IMO.
  22. Darth-Lando Chosen One

star 6
    I don't feel the slightest bit of guilt in saying that racial profiling, in some situations works and is just. The random screenings at airports do not. I've seen 5 year old children and 90 year old grandmothers patted down and searched before they're allowed to get on a plane. Meanwhile several men traveling alone of a middle-eastern decent go onto the plane unchecked? I am in no way shape or form sayiing that every middle-eastern or muslim is a terrorist. I just think it doesn't take a genius to know that al-quedia isn't going to be getting 5 yr olds or 85 lb geriatrics to hijack planes.
  23. imperial_dork Manager Emeritus

star 6
    Well, if the government were to use racial profiling, they'd better include white males in the mix. After all, who was responsible for the Oklahoma City bombing, an act of terrorism that has been largely forgotten?
  24. Ekenobi Jedi Master

star 4
    We invaded those countries because of 9/11. 9/11 did not happen becasue we were there. We were not in the middle when we were attacked. We are taking this war to them now and not sitting on our butts getting it on with an intren. And the further we get a away from 9/11 the more passive and relaxed people will get(libs, Dems).
  25. TIEPilot051999 Force Ghost

star 7
    Isn't this the millionth time he's said that?

Geez, buddy. Get a new schtick.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.