main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

[bin Laden] 'It's only a question of time'

Discussion in 'Archive: The Senate Floor' started by ObiWan506, Jan 19, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. LumpyMaiden

LumpyMaiden Jedi Youngling star 3

Aug 30, 2001
    What Errant said. I would have said something similar, but I was a little speechless at the time.

2. KnightWriter

KnightWriter Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 6, 2001
    Just a quick reminder to keep things cool here.

Also, a reminder that racist posting is not allowed.

3. Headphonekenobi

Headphonekenobi Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 29, 2005
    Well we obviously disagree here and this is the reason why we are being told to expect more attacks and waiting to get hit again vs. doing what needs to be done to keep us safe; racial profile, border control, etc. If you would like to get a little more info on the other side of that "internment was flatout wrong" coin take a look at Michelle Malkin's book In Defense of Internment: The Case for 'Racial Profiling' in World War II and the War on Terror .

4. KnightWriter

Nov 6, 2001
    I saw a book by Michelle Malkin at Waldenbooks a couple weeks ago, and noticed a Maureen Dowd book nearby. With no small amount of pleasure, I covered up Malkin's book with Dowd's.

5. LumpyMaiden

Aug 30, 2001
    If the internment camps were about safety and not racism, then why did we only intern those that looked different from the people in power? What percentage of Germans and Italians were interned, as opposed to the percentage of Japanese?

Also, racial profiling does little good because Islam is not a race. The majority of Muslims are not Middle Eastern, and there are a large portion of Middle Easterners that aren't Muslim.

6. Headphonekenobi

Sep 29, 2005
    This makes no sense. Internment camps were based on potential sympathizers of the enemy. In case you forgot Lincoln did it too and they were all WHITE all 38,000! I don't know how many times I have to repeat this but the majority of terrorists are of MIDDLE EASTERN descent!

It sure is funny that people get all bent out of shape about racial profiling when it comes to security but are silent when the government is giving hand outs based on race... talk about double standard.

7. LumpyMaiden

Aug 30, 2001
    During WWII It was based on political sympathizers that weren't white. Unless you have numbers supporting that just as high a percentage of Germans and Itlians were interned as Japanese?

It sure is funny that people are quick to defend racial profiling but are against helping to even the playing field for people who are disadvantaged due to the way that our society functions.

8. Darth-Lando

Darth-Lando Jedi Grand Master star 6

Aug 12, 2002
    Regardless, the majority of terrorists who are making threats and attacks against the U.S. ARE of Middle Eastern decent.

9. KnightWriter

Nov 6, 2001
    nternment camps were based on potential sympathizers of the enemy. In case you forgot Lincoln did it too and they were all WHITE all 38,000!

So just because it was done before, it's okay to do it again? Come on now. The earth can pass through a hole that size in logic.

Frankly, the way I see it, terrorists can bomb away here and make all the threats they want. Unless we actually alter our lifestyle and grant them the power to change our lives, they are powerless. They are moquitos buzzing around, occasionally moving in for a little blood.

Making or planning to make massive changes in our thinking and actions on the basis of a relatively small group of people who make threats and occasionally carry them out is ludicrous.

10. Ghost

Ghost Chosen One star 8

Oct 13, 2003
    So? Lincoln was wrong to do that too.

11. LumpyMaiden

Aug 30, 2001
    Okay. But all of them are Muslim extremists. So why are you suggesting profiling Middle Easterners rather than Muslim extremists?

12. KnightWriter

Nov 6, 2001
    Fundamentalist Christianity is a far greater threat to the United States than is terrorism. In that case, you have people who are being allowed to attempt to take away people's rights in the name of a God that most people either don't believe in at all or believe in differently. Those changes affect millions of people.

Meanwhile, we concern ourselves with the actions of a tiny number of people who cannot affect 99.9% of us unless we let them.

13. Darth-Lando

Darth-Lando Jedi Grand Master star 6

Aug 12, 2002
    Unfortunetly, there is no sure fire way to "profile" terrorists. You are going to wind up with tons of innocents affected and very few, if any true terrorists caught. I think that we SHOUlD be taking the fight to them, and trying to track down terrorists, both forgien and domestic. I think Bush is going about it the wrong way though. And before anyone asks, no, I don't know what the right way is.

14. Sanctimoniously

Sanctimoniously Jedi Master star 5

Dec 28, 2005
    Best. Argument. Ever. =D==D==D==D==D=

15. sidious618

sidious618 Jedi Grand Master star 6

Apr 20, 2003
    I'd WUL you after that post but I already have. :p

Great post nonetheless.

16. Headphonekenobi

Sep 29, 2005
    You have to be kidding... that is the biggest bunch of crap I've heard today.

Yes

They are moquitos buzzing around, occasionally moving in for a little blood. I consider the death of over 3000 Americans to be more than a mosquito bite.

Fundamentalist Christianity is a far greater threat to the United States than is terrorism. I have no words for this... just insanity, pure insanity

17. KnightWriter

Nov 6, 2001
    I have no words for this... just insanity, pure insanity

That is why you fail.

People fail to remember that great civilizations rot and collapse from within, not from external attack or outside forces.

In essence, there are many people who are trying to do the equivalent of having everyone go about their life while wearing kevlar armor, a helmet and other special equipment, all on the basis of what might happen (with a .00001% chance of it actually happening). That's what many people are trying to do or want to do for the United States as a whole.

Terrorism is a real threat, but even if I or someone I cared about were killed tomorrow in an attack, it wouldn't change my opinion. Unless attacks greatly increased in frequency, it's not something we should devote so much time and attention to, while also changing our lifestyles.

18. Chancellor_Ewok

Chancellor_Ewok Chosen One star 7

Nov 8, 2004
    I completely agree. The fact that that Fundie Christians are trying to sneak Creationism back into public schools as a viable alternative to evolution which has been proven through the fossil record and can be directly observed in single-celled organisms shows that they assunme what is good for them is good for everyone and are just generally out to lunch.

19. LumpyMaiden

Aug 30, 2001
    Go re-read where you said that racial profiling was a good idea because of how succesful the internment camps were during WWII.

20. Darth Guy

Darth Guy Chosen One star 10

Aug 16, 2002
    Your responses are delightfully ironic. I mean, what's wrong with being a racist theocracy?

21. Leonard_Shelby

Leonard_Shelby Jedi Grand Master star 6

May 31, 2002
    No.

22. Chancellor_Ewok

Chancellor_Ewok Chosen One star 7

Nov 8, 2004
    Lots. Are we going to start stonig adulterous women and burning books next?

23. Darth Guy

Darth Guy Chosen One star 10

Aug 16, 2002
    Good ideas. Keep 'em comin'.

24. Evan_The_Great

Evan_The_Great Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 3, 2005
    QFT

25. Evan_The_Great

Evan_The_Great Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 3, 2005
    This could be the best post so far.