main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit Biotech and Medicine in the galaxy

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Max Nocerino, Dec 20, 2013.

1. Max Nocerino

Max Nocerino Jedi Knight star 1

May 22, 2013
    Do these biotechnologies and medicine methods exist in a GFFA?

1.) Gene sequencing

2.)Telemedicine

3.) Personalized medicine

4.) Stem-cell treatment

5.) Wetware

6.) Biofeedback
    Thanks.

2. Barriss_Coffee

Barriss_Coffee Chosen One star 6

Jun 29, 2003
    The answer to life, the universe, and the answer to everything is, of course, drugs.

Meet the stimpak, the EU's answer to all your healthful needs:

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Stimpak

[​IMG]

Just fought a Gundark? Stimpak. Losing bodily fluids on the battlefield? Stimpak. Final level boss battle? Stimpak. Who needs stem-cells, wetware and personalized medicine when you've got your very own drug-gun handy for any and all occasions?

(but in terms of sequencing, re: anything about clones. Spaarti cylindars, Kamino cloning, etc. The Clone Wars books were big on that.)

3. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
    In the Bounty Hunter game, bacta seemed to heal all wounds.

Todd the Jedi likes this.
  4. Barriss_Coffee

Jun 29, 2003
    Speaking of bacta -- the conversations among Derricote, Loor, and Isard in X-Wing: Bacta War and Krytos Trap involve a neat bit of biotech, especially when they're hanging out in the labs. They're basically masterminding a controlled ebola epidemic... in space. Gene splicing is mentioned, since zoonosis is one of their primary concerns.

And if you're really into the medicine side of things, the Medstar Duology is the series for you. Although to be honest I found the series relied too much on our modern methods of hospital equipment and procedures. Even the terminology was similar, if not identical. I assume it was because the central focus of the series was the characters, not how to perform open heart surgery... in space. But by Medstar's standards hospitals are in the stone age compared to other sci-fi franchises like Star Trek.

5. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
    Medstar was pretty good, It reminded me a lot of MASH.

Gorefiend likes this.
  6. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    Is that one the book where we are informed that dead Republic troops get recycled?

7. LAJ_FETT

May 25, 2002
    I can't remember - it's been awhile since I've read them.

8. The_Phantom_Calamari

The_Phantom_Calamari Force Ghost star 5

Nov 10, 2011
    I'm not sure about all those, but their grasp of obstetrics leaves a lot to be desired.

9. Rogue_Follower

Rogue_Follower Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 12, 2003
    [​IMG]

10. Revanfan1

Revanfan1 Force Ghost star 6

Jun 3, 2013
    Yes. That was gross–but I generally enjoyed them in spite of it.

11. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    Have we seen any drugs that gives it user synæsthesia?

12. Revanfan1

Jun 3, 2013
    What the kark is synae-whatever?

13. Barriss_Coffee

Jun 29, 2003
    Also spelt synesthesia -- it's when someone's senses are mixed. So they "see" sounds and "hear" or "smell" colors or basically everything else that goes on during a real acid trip,

I think bota was a little like that. But I can't think of a SW drug offhand that really fits.

windu4 and Revanfan1 like this.
  14. Revanfan1

Jun 3, 2013
    Eww, that sounds awful. Yes, bota was a bit like that.

15. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    Have we seen any medic use animals and/or naturalistic cures in their trade like Dr. Phlox (Star Trek: Enterprise) do?

16. TheJediBrah

TheJediBrah Jedi Knight star 1

Oct 6, 2013
    No need. Bacta cures everything. Just don't ask why.

Whenever they do try and involve biotech or pharmacology it always ends up stupid and irrational anyway so it's probably best that they don't

17. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    But you don't always have bacta and there are stories taking place before bacta

In what stories have they involved biotech or pharmacology?

18. moonjump05

moonjump05 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 14, 2013
    The gene sequencing definitely. I would also assume some type of stem cell therapy to reverse engineer embryonic (and placental?)cells from adult somatic cells, based on what the canon tells us how clones are produced. I would put out also that major epigenetic modification would be needed.

However, the high level of manipulation suggested by the above techniques is contradictory to the limitations of cloning in the universe-like needing continuous fresh sample or risking DNA degradation.

19. Vialco

Vialco Force Ghost star 5

Mar 6, 2007
    It's clearly not possible to re-grow, or even re-attach severed limbs in the GFFA.

Anakin's arm was sliced off by Dooku, and they were never able to re-attach it (the severed arm was right there in the hangar) or re-grow an identical limb.

Clearly, the GFFA medical science is oriented toward cybernetics, rather than biological manipulation.

Barriss_Coffee likes this.
  20. DigitalMessiah

DigitalMessiah Chosen One star 6

Feb 17, 2004
    Or it had to do with nerve damage due to cauterization preventing reattachment.

21. moonjump05

moonjump05 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 14, 2013
    I dunno, bacta seems to be able to heal burn wounds from explosions. Why not from lightsaber cauterization? Maybe it took too long to get to a medical station and the arm tissues died from lack of oxygen.

22. VadersLaMent

VadersLaMent Chosen One star 10

Apr 3, 2002
    The official explanation for Anakin's arm was that it could have been regrown or re-attached but he had no problem with using a quick and easy cyborg replacement as he is quite confortable playing with machinery. But it's really a symbol of his turning more machine-like.

23. TheJediBrah

TheJediBrah Jedi Knight star 1

Oct 6, 2013
    No, clearly that's just a case of illogical storytelling and world building. For such advanced cloning to be relatively common place in the universe with all kinds of specific manipulation (eg. Sith/Jedi mixed clones in Crosscurrent, transferring memories between bodies in Force Unleashed etc.), and yet limb regrowth and/or re-attachment not being possible is just illogical.

Not that I'm complaining, it would be far too much to expect the universe built with dozens of authors and ideas to stand up to such scrutiny and they've done a brilliant job in maintaining believable continuity of technology in recent times, all things considering.

Barriss_Coffee and Gamiel like this.
  24. Riven_JTAC

Riven_JTAC Jedi Master star 4

Jun 28, 2011
    Oh, my God. How has this not been posted yet?

25. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    Cloned organs are mentioned in the Tale of Zuckuss and 4-LOM from Tales of the Bounty Hunters, as illegal.

It also mentions that the rebels may have a treatment allowing him to regrow his damaged lungs as healthy ones.

In the Young Jedi Knights story, Lightsabers, it's mentioned that Tenel Ka's arm might have been reattachable- if it hadn't been for the fact that her faulty lightsaber exploded after her arm was cut off, destroying it. Luke also mentions that his hand might have been reattachable if it hadn't fallen down that shaft.

I think in one of the novels (Death Star?) a medic, after seeing Vader, is thinking that some people are allergic even to their own cloned organs (he can't think of any other reason Vader would go round in a suit like that, with cyber-lungs.)