main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit Biotech and Medicine in the galaxy

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Max Nocerino, Dec 20, 2013.

1. Barriss_Coffee

Barriss_Coffee Chosen One star 6

Jun 29, 2003

Interesting -- this might explain a lot of the backwards medical methods we've been seeing. It's one of those cases where Real Life technology has begun to supersede sci-fi, the latter being the EU in this case. We've had electronic prosthetics and organs for only a short time in recent history, and already we're switching to bio-engineered everything. We're not just turning stem cells into things, we're turning other cells back into stem cells. We're practically able to regrow anyone's heart or liver or whatever with a cell from anywhere else in their body (no need for any zany scenarios like in say, The Island).

The only reason I can think that's detaining it is, as Vialco said, the GFFA is overly reliant on inorganic tech. I guess we can pass that off as culture being the culprit in this case, and making concepts like cloned organs... illegal. The GFFA seriously could have learned a thing or two from the Yuuzhan Vong.

Starkeiller and Circular Logic like this.
  2. Rogue_Follower

Rogue_Follower Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 12, 2003
    That's partially due to the Clone Wars. I don't recall the source(s) off the top of my head---maybe the New Essential Chronology or some other Essential Guide---but I seem to recall that cloning technology was suppressed and restricted after the New Order was declared, with the Clone Wars given as the reason. The Empire still had access, of course, which is why an Imperial doctor would consider that a viable medical treatment, but it was forbidden in most of the galaxy.

Of course, that raises the question how common medical cloning was during the old Republic...

Starkeiller likes this.
  3. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    Have we seen any non-vong handheld bio-weapons?

4. FTeik

FTeik Jedi Grand Master star 5

Nov 7, 2000
    There might also be a cultural/religious taboo concerning biotechnology/life-sciences enforced by the Jedi/Republic because it is "against the will of the Force" (and the research might have also been forbidden to make sure, that the Jedi keep their advantages, so no creation of super-soldiers). Cloning might also be forbidden, because more than one group used it to create slaves (the Senex-Lords and the Kaminoans).

5. Starkeiller

Starkeiller Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 5, 2004
    Even in the old Republic, cyborg-ification seemed to be the most common way to deal with damaged tissue. What I think is this: giant supercorporations like the Techno Union would have lobbied intensely to have the Senate declare regrowing cells illegal, because, apparently, sticking robotic limbs onto people is a massive, massive industry in the SW universe.

6. Gorefiend

Gorefiend Chosen One star 5

Oct 23, 2004

Charon have them, as do the Ergesh.

7. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
  8. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012