main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

JCC Birding Thread

Discussion in 'Community' started by Boba Nekhbet, Jan 17, 2016.

1. mrsvos

mrsvos Jedi Grand Master star 5

Nov 18, 2005
    And here I thought someone else had nailed the 2016 meltdown early on in the game. But silly me, it is so early yet.

2. Diggy

Diggy Chosen One star 8

Feb 27, 2013
    Are wocky and neckbeard flirting?

[​IMG]

3. Obi Anne

Obi Anne Celebration Mistress of Ceremonies star 8 Staff Member Manager

Nov 4, 1998
    My favorite bird is the eagle owl, mostly because we have had a pair nesting in the open pit at work (a mine museum). Unfortunately we also have to deal with a group of paranoid bird people that reports everything that's happening in our whole area to the media and claim that it's all done to make the eagle owls disappear. One thing they claim is that there have been a pair there for the last 50 years, which is probably correct, now though the birds need protection because if we as much as drive down the open pit for safety inspections, then we will disturb them. They don't realize that for 30 of the last 50 years the mine was in full use, including a lot of blasts and heavy traffic in the open pic, and the eagle owls kept their nests there.

Juliet316 likes this.
  4. Diggy

Diggy Chosen One star 8

Feb 27, 2013
    I wish to feast upon these birds.

5. Rylo Ken

Rylo Ken Force Ghost star 7

Dec 19, 2015
    Crows used to dip down into our garden and find the baby bunnies, then fly up to our garage roof and rip them into tasty little shreds. It was a sight that horrified my oldest kid. But then West Nile came through Chicago like the birdpocalypse and completely wiped out the crow/blackbird population. To this day, I never see any around. That summer we'd find them dead in the alley or on the sidewalk. A bird plague to end all bird plagues.

Now we have urban hawks that have filled at least part of the eating baby bunny niche.

Darth Punk likes this.
  6. Darth Punk

Darth Punk JCC Manager star 7 Staff Member Manager

Nov 25, 2013
    i met up with a friend this morning, and on our travels, a magpie flew past. i caught my friend saluting it.

i'm reviewing our friendship

7. jp-30

jp-30 Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 14, 2000
    Went for a day at the beach at a local (45 minute drive) regional park yesterday. Amongst others, saw native Wood Pigeons doing swoop/stall dives (these are big, beautiful, 60cm long, fruit eating forest dwellers, not the urban rats you normally think of), plus an Oystercatcher pair with juvenile, and a NZ Dotterel with 2 chicks. It might interest you Boba Nekhbet that this is the same dotterel species that landed Taylor Swift's video crew in trouble at my local beach not so long ago.
    [​IMG] [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Admiral Volshe likes this.
  8. TaradosGon

TaradosGon Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 28, 2003
    From Yellowstone:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    From my Zoo intern days
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

jp-30 and tom like this.
  9. jp-30

jp-30 Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 14, 2000
    Went for a walk with the family around an inner city lake today (Western Springs, Auckland).

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Pied Shag.

[​IMG]

Paradise Duck (Female, males are all black)

[​IMG]
    Pukeko

[​IMG]

Male NZ Scaup.

[​IMG]

Female NZ Scaup & chicks.

tom likes this.
  10. Zapdos

Zapdos Force Ghost star 5

Jan 7, 2013
    i had bird babies once. but then their father got eaten by a bigger bird and their mother couldn't feed them alone and they all starved to death.

11. H-BOMB

H-BOMB Jedi Master star 3

Feb 21, 2009
    I haven't really gotten into birding formally, but my mom was a casual observer. I have fond memories of sitting at our dining room table as a kid, as my mom pointed out all the different species that came to the feeders in our backyard.

I do like birds quite a bit though! And whenever I see a rare or interesting one I'm always excited. There's this great big arboretum by my university's campus, and its home to a bunch of Peliated Woodpeckers, which are pretty awesome (not my picture by the way):

[​IMG]

Also, I was hiking around in the arboretum and I happened upon this guy (the camera I had at the time sucked but I snapped a semi-decent one):

[​IMG]

Very cool-looking (and big!) Barred Owl!

tom and jp-30 like this.