main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Birth. Movies. Death: 94% of RT voters signed up in Dec. A 3rd quit after review.

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by Ender_and_Bean, Dec 21, 2017.

1. Ender_and_Bean

Ender_and_Bean Chosen One star 6

May 19, 2002
    Chained Prometheus likes this.
  2. Count Zero

Count Zero Jedi Master star 4

Jul 20, 2014
    I read it. This happens in Video Gaming reviews a LOT.

3. Ender_and_Bean

May 19, 2002
    It’s probably the best article I’ve seen on it. Lots of info. Made sense after seeing it. I hadn’t considered the demo difference either.

Recommend the Read and some of the links and examples show.

4. Cantina Bassist

Cantina Bassist Jedi Knight star 2

Nov 5, 2012
  5. Bacbacca

Bacbacca Jedi Master star 3

Nov 26, 2011
    Now explain all the YT videos....

Defiance and TimeZone like this.
  6. Count Zero

Jul 20, 2014
    That's pretty easy. Those guys latch onto anything for hits. It's the moving version of "why they don't cast [insert literally anyone here] anymore."

7. Luke02

Luke02 Chosen One star 6

Sep 19, 2002
    How many threads do we need on this?

8. soul8luos

soul8luos Jedi Master star 4

Sep 19, 2013
    Yet TFA and Rogue One were not targeted by review bombing. TLJ is just **** to some fans.

dan1210 and Defiance like this.
  9. Defiance

Defiance Jedi Grand Master star 3

Jul 16, 1999
    Whelp, I guess the fact that TLJ is the first movie I disliked enough to want to leave a negative review on RT means that my review is fake.

10. Cantina Bassist

Nov 5, 2012
    Hes right, its very easy to explain: the film is bad

ChildOfWinds and Defiance like this.
  11. Count Zero

Jul 20, 2014
    I liked it and had better things to do with my time than rush to RT to give it stars. Your move.

12. Defiance

Jul 16, 1999
    Your point? I even logged into a TFN account I haven't used in years to give my opinion. So?

OriForce and ChildOfWinds like this.
  13. Count Zero

Jul 20, 2014
    Point is that the RT audience score is about worthless. Its about as trustworthy as the reviews on steam.

14. Ender_and_Bean

May 19, 2002
    This article isn’t implying anything about people not being real. It’s getting into review bombing culture and the kinds of people alongside those of you who left your 0.5 star reviews but who did so for reasons more related to politics. Some of which may not have even seen the movie. So, there’s weighting and skewing considerations.

The article shares some info he pulled and also highlighted how the sites don’t seem to have the same demographic breakdown as far as male and female as people who are actually going to the movie. It also gets into negative self-selecting and now angry people are more likely to vent than happy people will go out of their way to praise or defend. Just a good piece with good examples for others movies and games to highlight that this does happen.

15. AhsokaSolo

AhsokaSolo Force Ghost star 7

Dec 23, 2015
    If 94% of RT reviewers signing up in December is a sign of alt-righters review bombing TLJ even though they didn’t TFA and TLJ has a comperavle number of reviews to TFA, why isn’t TLJ’s score 6%?

16. Defiance

Jul 16, 1999
    Then you could have saved time by stating this in the first place. Effective communication. Try it sometime.

17. chris hayes

chris hayes Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 13, 2012
  18. Count Zero

Jul 20, 2014
    Unless you think that the 116,351 people who reviewed last year's Ghostbusters actually saw the movie...

19. prlrocks

prlrocks Jedi Master star 2

Jun 15, 2009
    I didn't like it, thought about leaving a negative review (3 stars really, given I did love some stuff), but haven't. I do believe there are a lot of unhappy people posting reviews because I'm seeing a large amount of the unhappy people on every social media platform (happy ones too). Also those reviews tend to be really long and detailed. That said, I'm sure there are also some less then honest behavior going on as well. People take things way too far.

OriForce and ChildOfWinds like this.
  20. Cantina Bassist

Nov 5, 2012
    This is sheer delusion. Just accept some people dont like the movie. Jeez Louise

Heres a neat fact: I saw it with a 9 person crew. 4 of us liked it, 5 of us hated it. Microcosm?

ChildOfWinds likes this.
  21. Strongbow

Strongbow Force Ghost star 5

Nov 6, 2014
    How do explain the other disparities mentioned in the article?

22. Gen Rendar

Gen Rendar Jedi Knight star 1

Sep 7, 2014
    Maybe some people just did not like the movie and wanted to voice their opinion? Maybe they are just regular people and did not know how else to make their voice and opinion heard? And then because it's the internet of course you will have some people just join in because they like to troll.

From the different audience reviews I saw on RT, most people that rated it poorly wrote fairly detailed reasons why (mostly about the direction of the story). There are of course troll comments on the negative side, but there are also people rating it very highly and leaving comments like "Fanboys are just upset about their headcannon." A comment like that is also pretty much a troll as well. Then you have people that generally really did like the movie and go into detail about how they really liked the surprises and direction.

We keep seeing articles like this one try to downplay the value of the people who dislike it, instead of focusing on why they disliked it. Maybe they dislike it for the wrong reasons and we should talk about that instead of trying to make it seem like they aren't real people. I don't know much about how someone uses bots to effect the reviews, but if it's possible to use a bot to rate it negatively, isn't it also possible for someone to use them to rate it positively to try and keep the score up for their own reasons (I am not saying this is what is happening, I am just pointing out it can go both ways).

Everyone is allowed to like or dislike the movie, and I think it is logical to assume that if you did not like the movie, you would be more likely to let people know about it. Just look at the prequels.

Dave Hoffman, OriForce, Mange and 3 others like this.
  23. Strongbow

Strongbow Force Ghost star 5

Nov 6, 2014
    Possibly. After all, my experience was the opposite. How do you explain the more scientific exit polling data?

24. Count Zero

Jul 20, 2014
    No one said that everyone likes the movie. Helen keller could see that some people don't like it. They won't let anyone forget that they didn't like it. Thread is about review-bombing. TLJ wouldn't be the first time its happend.

25. Ender_and_Bean

May 19, 2002
    When you mess with organized political groups though you’re playing with fire. Tribalism in the States is at an all time high and the alt right is tight nit and angry. They mobilize quickly and often and have big numbers of people.

Their previous efforts against Star Wars were to boycott. Following the Ghostbusters takedown I wouldn’t be surprised if this is their new tactic.

And again... the movie hasn’t enough to be divisive among a group of liberal Star Wars fanatics so a sizable portion is people like that obviously but throw this group on top and it’s significant. It’s not like there’s Bernie Sanders groups rallying to save the RT% score. Lol.

Chained Prometheus likes this.