main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Birth. Movies. Death: 94% of RT voters signed up in Dec. A 3rd quit after review.

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by Ender_and_Bean, Dec 21, 2017.

1. ShaneP

ShaneP Ex-Mod Officio star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 26, 2001

To him. That's even easier and obvious to explain.

Let me just say this. On imdb, the earliest ranking had several 10s,9,8,7s an then a huge gap and a large number of 1s. Now, the discrepancy is noticeable at that point.

Ender_and_Bean, you are correct. That is their tactic. I say this as someone who is more conservative, but the alt-right are people getting rankled bout just about anything, pulp sci fi included, and that amuses me.

2. Count Zero

Count Zero Jedi Master star 4

Jul 20, 2014
    They went after the HUGO awards a couple of years ago! The HUGO's!!

3. jamminjedi23

jamminjedi23 Jedi Master star 5

Feb 19, 2015
    There definitely does seem to be quite a bit of tampering on the RT audience score. The RT audience score would be a little more believable if it was similar to IMDB's audience score. But it's not. IMDB's audience score is a whole two and half points higher than RT's (and IMDB has more reviews as well).

So either the majority of people who hated the movie and decided to give it one star all went to RT and ignored IMDB or something is amiss with RT's score. IMDB is right along the same lines as TFA's audience score (just four tenths of a point lower).

4. prlrocks

prlrocks Jedi Master star 2

Jun 15, 2009
    I'm well known as being a Star Wars fan and have a job that allows me to talk about movie, books, etc a lot (library's can be fun :D ). People are always asking for my opinion and giving their own... off that alone the RT numbers make sense to me. People feel very passionately about this movie one way or the other. I've heard more disappointment than positive, but I'm sure someone else out there is hearing the opposite.

OriForce and ChildOfWinds like this.
  5. AhsokaSolo

AhsokaSolo Force Ghost star 7

Dec 23, 2015
    You know who’s tribal? SW fans that downvote people simply for saying they didn’t like the latest SW movie on reddit.

Also any SW fan that opinion shames people for disagreeing.

SW fans that try to lump all the legit criticisms of this movie in with bigoted alt-righters also fit the bill.

Oh also, people on Facebook that spam people for saying they don’t like the movie and call them names like “fanboy” and whatnot.

OriForce, Yanksfan and ChildOfWinds like this.
  6. jamminjedi23

Feb 19, 2015
    How do you explain RT's score being so much lower than IMDB's then?

7. prlrocks

Jun 15, 2009
    I was a bit insulted by that as well, but I am politically the opposite of that so....

8. Count Zero

Jul 20, 2014
    Reddit is one of the signs of the apocalypse, in general. Can't stand the site.

People aren't. But they're out there declaring victory over TLJ. Its most likely just them having swollen heads, but since they are involving themselves by claiming EXACTLY WHAT IS IN THIS THREAD it is a valid topic.

9. prlrocks

Jun 15, 2009
    I'm no expert. Could be that different people are drawn to different sites. RT is the most mainstream of all the rating sites, IMO and likely the first most people would go to.

10. AhsokaSolo

Dec 23, 2015
    Wait, narcissistic nazi wannabes are claiming credit for something? HOLD THE PHONES! It must be true then.

11. Count Zero

Jul 20, 2014
    Where did i say that? I said it was a valid TOPIC.

12. Strongbow

Strongbow Force Ghost star 5

Nov 6, 2014
    There are legit criticisms of the movie out there and a genuine hunk of the audience that didn't like it. Fair enough. There is also significant evidence the film got review bombed. Both things can be true.

FWIW, viewing number 4 tonight and the audience cheered at the end.

13. jamminjedi23

Feb 19, 2015
    IMDB has more votes than RT does though. If it was the first site people think of going to it should have more votes.

Eternal_Jedi likes this.
  14. AhsokaSolo

Dec 23, 2015
    Exactly how many threads need to be devoted to giving Nazis with a god complex attention?

15. Count Zero

Jul 20, 2014

IMDB has a different system. They have to since part of their score is a paid service.

16. Ender_and_Bean

Ender_and_Bean Chosen One star 6

May 19, 2002
    There’s a big difference between examining the yes/no tents in greater detail and pulling out data on which groups fall where than there is downplaying opinions.

If you proved that a significant portion of people who loved the film were between the ages of 7-12 years old I wouldn’t find offence or take that to imply that you’re saying ONLY people that age did. It would merely mean that some young people are part of the yes camp and I’m pretty confident that they are.

This article is merely presenting the evidence that suggests a signicant portion of alt right types are in the no camp for SJW hate and female hero presence, white villains, etc. They’re in it for different reasons than you but they could compromise a signicant portion of the score, skewing it down from what could be something closer to the IMDB score.

17. AhsokaSolo

Dec 23, 2015
    Alt righters hated TFA too. That movie actually had a woman and a poc as a lead. TLJ was mostly about two white guys. And yet, you guys think somehow the people that “organized” a TFA boycot never thought of review bombing RT until now?

OR, they’re trying to take credit for something they had very little to do with. Yeah, one of these things sounds more likely than the other.

18. Cantina Bassist

Cantina Bassist Jedi Knight star 2

Nov 5, 2012
    Must be the feminists tampering with IMDB

19. prlrocks

Jun 15, 2009

Than it is not. Interesting as people place way more weight on RT scores these days. Anyway, said I wasn't an expert, but I do think it could just be that the sites attract different people. Can't say for sure obviously.

20. Gen Rendar

Gen Rendar Jedi Knight star 1

Sep 7, 2014
    I assume you are referring to the Cinemascore exiting polling? They take a random selection of people and get their opinion as they leave the theater, and you are correct that the Last Jedi has an A rating. But if you check the previous Starwars movies you will find Episode 1, 2 and 3 all have an A-.

Perhaps people want to like the movie, and naturally leave feeling positively about it, but later come to a different opinion after they think about what they saw. I think general audiences have an overall decent opinion of the movie, because they are going to it for "cool visuals" and "space battles". A lot of people like the Transformers movies(Transformers: Age of Extinction also has an A-). But at the same time there are a lot of Starwars fans and they are divided over the direction of the film. I don't think everything has to be a conspiracy. It's possible I am wrong, but I just get the impression the people who dislike this movie really, really dislike it, and that is reflecting on sites like Metacritic and Rotten Tomatoes.

Cantina Bassist likes this.
  21. BlurryUFOs

BlurryUFOs Jedi Master star 3

Sep 24, 2016
    why does it bother op so much that there are fans that don’t like this movie? i’m glad so many people were able to take enjoyment out of tlj despite my feelings about it, i don’t see anyone trying to invalidate the opinions of those that liked it, and i don’t think i’m a better fan for having not liked it.

i’m not going to lie, it’s nice knowing people share your pov sometimes, but not everybody has to. keeps it interesting.

OriForce, prlrocks and AhsokaSolo like this.
  22. Ender_and_Bean

May 19, 2002
    There’s actual research on this stuff happening guys.

https://fivethirtyeight.com/feature...he-online-reviews-of-tv-shows-aimed-at-women/

And Ghostbusters was the first big film shift and it came out after TFA and around the same time period of Rogue One. So, they probably focused their efforts on the one that had taken an actual film starring men and replaced them with women.
    https://fivethirtyeight.com/feature...t-example-of-how-internet-ratings-are-broken/

AL Gore’s latest movie this year on global warming was review bombed by the alt right even before it was released.
    https://fivethirtyeight.com/feature...exposes-the-big-flaw-in-online-movie-ratings/

Notice the trend? It’s becoming more common.

23. Count Zero

Jul 20, 2014

APOLOGIST!!! :p

24. Ender_and_Bean

May 19, 2002
    Why do you think this topic has anything to do with your perception of the movie at all if you didn’t participate in a politically motivated and organized review bombing effort that had been organized by a site you frequent?

This topic is about review bombing and there’s been plenty of evidence (heck, Mark Hamill is making enemies with Ted Cruz right now!) that Conservatives will target this and that’s a huge portion of the population. It DOES NOT negate your feelings or change the very real divisive nature of TLJ but it’s folly to ignore the role that something like this could play in the total score.

25. Gen Rendar

Gen Rendar Jedi Knight star 1

Sep 7, 2014

Maybe people think of Rotten Tomatoes when they want to review something instead of IMDB? Maybe majority of people think of IMDB when they want to know which actor stars in a movie, not to review movies.

I think that is why Metacritic and RT are the two sites with the lowest audience reviews. Maybe those are the sites that first come to mind when you think of Movie review scores? The people that are upset are using these sites as a protest vote to let people(Disney/Lucasfilm) know they are unhappy. I don't think it's that complicated(but again, it's possible I am wrong).