main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Birth. Movies. Death: 94% of RT voters signed up in Dec. A 3rd quit after review.

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by Ender_and_Bean, Dec 21, 2017.

1. NHB0M

NHB0M Jedi Master star 4

Dec 13, 2016
    I got a similar reply after I posted what I liked less about TPM after the movie came out, lol. It was wild how some couldn't take a tiny bit of criticism.

Count Zero likes this.
  2. MotherNature's SilverSeed

MotherNature's SilverSeed Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 4, 2013

Here's an idea (to AhsokaSolo as well):

- read the article

3. jamminjedi23

jamminjedi23 Jedi Master star 5

Feb 19, 2015
    One thing you shouldn't do though is form the mindset that audience reviewers will have a better idea of a films quality than professional critics will. Audience reviewers tend to be extremely reactionary, in many cases very stubborn, and they tend to judge something on rather or not the film fits into the very narrow window of what they wanted to have happen. While at the same time professional critics tend to give a better overall picture of how good something is. They do a better job of weighing the good and the bad than audience reviewers do.

4. moreorless12

moreorless12 Jedi Master star 4

Jan 4, 2016
    I wouldn't say its something I look to much when considering what to watch at the cinema but equally I wouldn't say critical response to blockbusters is either a lot of the time. Whether Disney do have direct influence or not is questionable but for me whats not questionable is that modern critics tend to be creatures of hype, a film that's expected to be good will tend to get a far better response than one that is expected not to be. A lot of the time of course the pre release hype is a reflection of actual quality but in the case of the ST I tend to think that the extreme positive hype was driven by other factors besides quality of recent films in the franchise(which there were none of course), most obviously simply being SW but also I think the perception that these films would be a return to the OT and not the mixed reaction of the PT.

As far as any audience or criticial response goes though I'v never looked to make this a central argument for my posting on these forums, to me its just a cheap appeal to authority that too often takes the place of an actual argument, basically "well your wrong because critics/audience say so". Honestly I felt that defence of TFA was used far too often here and I notice its the side with a positive view of TLJ that's know starting threads like this.

5. AhsokaSolo

AhsokaSolo Force Ghost star 7

Dec 23, 2015
    I did.