main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

JCC Birth videos: Why are people so freaked out about it?

Discussion in 'Community' started by TheGuardianofArlon, Mar 19, 2012.

1. yankee8255

yankee8255 Force Ghost star 6

May 31, 2005
    I was in attendance for the births of both of my daughters, and followed my wife's advice of staying "up top" with her. No need to see what's going on down the there, the view of the giant bulge in her pelvic area when the head was about to come out was freaky enough for me.

2. alt0233

alt0233 Jedi Master star 2

Apr 4, 2002
    You're still my favorite.

3. Jedi_Dajuan

Jedi_Dajuan Administrator Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 30, 2002
    Why are people freaked out?

1. It hurts. Take your worst pain and at least double it.
    2. Blood and guts are involved.
    3. Death. Childbirth still occasionally kills women. If not for modern medicine both I and my sister would probably be dead.
    4. Body parts ripping. Imagine something so big coming out of you that it rips the orifice that it comes out of. It doesn't always happen, but it happens often enough.
    5. Giant hemorrhoids. All the pushing and straining can cause some serious 'roids. If you've never had one consider yourself lucky.

The list goes on but I'm bored of this already.

4. Mortimer_Snerd

Mortimer_Snerd Jedi Grand Master star 6

Mar 14, 2004
    You just made duende really horny.

5. R2-DK

R2-DK Jedi Master star 2

Apr 13, 2011
    http://www.cracked.com/article_19121_7-basic-things-you-wont-believe-youre-all-doing-wrong_p2.html

6. Kyle Katarn

Kyle Katarn Force Ghost star 6

Jul 10, 1998
    I really needed to read that while eating, honest.

7. Jedi_Dajuan

Dec 30, 2002
    It didn't matter what position I was in, it still hurt. Plus there was the indignity of it all.

EDIT: But Kyle Katarn, according to Arlon it's natural so it shouldn't bother you at all!

8. DantheJedi

DantheJedi Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 23, 2009
    If a birthing video is like the birthing scene in Caligula, no thanks.

9. Kyle Katarn

Jul 10, 1998
    Ya know, if you take out the line in your post about child birth, what you mentioned sounds a lot like the after effects of eating anything off the menu at Taco Bell. But I guess that's natural too and the smells that come from the bathroom after are so notorious.

10. Aytee-Aytee

Aytee-Aytee Jedi Master star 5

Jul 20, 2008
    A SERBIAN FILM.

11. Mortimer_Snerd

Mortimer_Snerd Jedi Grand Master star 6

Mar 14, 2004
    Butterfist.

12. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    Not sure about doubling the worst pain, but the rest of it sounds pretty bad.

13. DantheJedi

DantheJedi Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 23, 2009
    My mother described giving birth as having the biggest, most painful bowel movement in your life.

Does that sound about right?

14. Jedi_Dajuan

Dec 30, 2002
    I had a c-section, so can't tell you on the actual birth itself. (And thank God for that. Abdominal surgery was much less scary than the prospect of more giant hemorrhoids and the ripping and stretching. I was relieved when that decision was finally made.) But labor felt like ramped up period craps to me or perhaps being punched in the kidneys repeatedly with increasing intensity and frequency (for a male friendly comparison).

EDIT: I need to make sure this isn't my last post on the old boards. Posting about giant hemorrhoids isn't how I imagined going out.

15. Harpua

Harpua Chosen One star 9

Mar 12, 2005
    It's painful, but it really isn't the nightmare that you are making it out to be.

16. ApolloSmileGirl

ApolloSmileGirl Jedi Knight star 8

Jun 18, 2004
    C-sections also take way more recovery time, and do lead to risk of infection greater than natural childbirth. But that doesn't matter Arlon wants to watch the beautiful nature of childbirth. You're like 20 dude, go find a date.

17. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    I had two C-sections. Hurt like hell afterwards, but yeah, I'll still take abdominal surgery over the descriptions I've heard of "natural" birth.

Plus legally nobody is allowed to videotape. :p My husband was told not to go behind the curtain and try to "help" the doctors. His reaction was, "That's a joke, right?"

18. Harpua

Harpua Chosen One star 9

Mar 12, 2005
    My dad has video footage of nurses wheeling my newborn brother into the wrong room... true story.

19. Jedi_Dajuan

Dec 30, 2002
    Maybe not a nightmare for you, but it featured in mine for quite a while. One of my top 5 fears associated with a kid #2 is they make me go natural for the birth.

I don't remember too much pain with the section. The epidural spot hurt more than the incision.

20. Harpua

Harpua Chosen One star 9

Mar 12, 2005
    It is frightening at first, but once you're in the thick of it, the fear goes away (for me, at least). The fear was replaced with determination to get the critter out of me.

I was fairly modest before childbirth, but, again, once I was in the thick of it, I could have delivered my son on a street corner during rush hour. :p

21. Lord Vivec

Lord Vivec Chosen One star 9

Apr 17, 2006
    Why rush hour? With no traffic flowing people would have nothing better to do than watch. :p

22. Harpua

Harpua Chosen One star 9

Mar 12, 2005
    Yeah, that's what I meant... the modesty flew out the window. :p

23. Jedi_Dajuan

Dec 30, 2002
    Luck you, seriously. I'm too much of a tightass to let go like that. Probably why I had to have the c-section in the first place. I was so thankful when it was all over because it meant random people would stop touching me. Yeah, I'm type A :)

24. TheGuardianofArlon

TheGuardianofArlon Jedi Master star 6

Feb 26, 2007
    I was born via C-Section due to I think the cord wrapped around my neck or shoulder.

25. Kyle Katarn

Jul 10, 1998
    That says a lot...

I have a friend who was born c-section. He seems pretty normal in most every way, except he always seems to want to leave using the window instead of the door.