main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Tucson Birthday Party request! 05/05/06

Discussion in 'SouthWest Region Discussion' started by dialswiftjustice, Apr 17, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dialswiftjustice

dialswiftjustice Jedi Master star 4

Jul 12, 2005
    Ok, I KNOW this is a Friday. I KNOW this is the same weekend as the Metabolic Ferstival,at the department asked if Vader could show up at his son's birthday party for pictures. I said I would, and DID NOT commit anyone else. If anyone would like to join though, it would be at 3PM (I KNOW this is a tough time slot). If anyone would like to join , let me know, this is a favor to a friend of mine, and payment would be all the homemade Mexican food we can eat.

2. hal9k1

hal9k1 Jedi Master star 4

Dec 22, 2003
    I'd like to come but I'd have to clear it with the boss and my work load(I should be at work at that time), I'll see what happens.

3. cathiecat

cathiecat Jedi Grand Master star 5

Mar 24, 2005
    I will be there.. I can wear my human female Jedi costume :) as long as someone can provide me with a ride!!

4. Boga-the-Magnificent

Boga-the-Magnificent Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 13, 2005
    Let me check the schedule. I'm not sure if that is an early out day for my weeone.

5. Mugen

Mugen Jedi Padawan star 4

May 7, 2005
    I told Dustin already that this would be a tough one for me to be at, due to the fact that I get off on Friday afternoon at 6pm, usually. If anything changes, and I can make it..I'll let you know.

6. thatsMISTERwookiee

thatsMISTERwookiee Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 12, 2005
    No can do, amigo. I work 2-10:30 PM.

7. hal9k1

Dec 22, 2003
    No can do for me, sorry.

I was out Wed. with a nasty migrane (chich I still have) and my work load just piled up.

8. hal9k1

Dec 22, 2003

We had a few requests for birthday parties at the March of Dimes walk, anybody call back that we gave "cards" to follow up on that? Interesting concept but other than for other members in the group/family I"m not sure it's a wise thing to do. IMHO.

9. cathiecat

Mar 24, 2005
    I still really think we should do the parties.. however.. we should vote if we will do parties or not, I don't want to be willing to do parties for friends/group only.. because then if a friend of a friend of a friend wants a party we will feel obligated in some instances and not in others.. we should either do parties or not do parties.. only fair way to do it.

no calls have come in so far.. if any calls do come in I will let you know though.

10. firstsonofsolo

firstsonofsolo Jedi Padawan star 4

Feb 2, 2006
    Do we have a counter on the pictures? Maybe put up a banner? I am willing to do parties but the only problem is it is with children. So there are a few laws that need to be followed. I believe we can get by with only accepting donations claiming a "minimum" donation....

11. hal9k1

Dec 22, 2003
    No counter, I've found that they are mostly used for tracking by the provider of the counter. I can insert one with local software but it tends not to work on firefox, opera or under a Linux OS. I can put one in if anyone wants.

I can move the main page banner to the picture pages, most pictures are re-directs to photobucket. I can copy them into the site, but it will take a bit of time, that's also of data to transfer and re-size.

12. cathiecat

Mar 24, 2005

we are not a charity organization (we participate in some charity events, and we collect donations on behalf of charitable organizations when they allow us to do so, and we sign a waiver for permission to collect for them which they keep on record for their's and our protection)so as such at this time we are not bound by any specific laws on what we can and can not receive as payment, as it stands at this moment we are no different than any other entertainment that comes to parties, such as bounce houses, and clowns, therefore we are not bound by the same rules as the 501st or Rebel Legion. That being said we have to discuss what we want to do as/for payment, money to fund the group(which is not considered profit incidentally,it would be considered overhead for running the group), or donations to charities.. either by gift cards, checks, cash, or whatever..

We DID in fact have a vote as to whether or not become non-profit and the vote was that we would NOT go for non-profit status. you can see this link for more info on non-profit status and what it would mean... also see this link as well.then there is this link for Arizona specifically.

As for laws regarding children.. what specific laws are you referring to.. we should be up on those for sure.

13. hal9k1

Dec 22, 2003
    I know I said this before but I still think we need to have some sort of disclamer or waver so if an accident at an event happens and one of us are involved we can be held responsible.

14. cathiecat

Mar 24, 2005
    okay, so we want to discuss making a waiver in case of a an accident. I am going to ask Jen and Beverly what they use for events with this in mind...

15. hal9k1

Dec 22, 2003
    Ooooo..... great idea, U so smart

16. cathiecat

Mar 24, 2005
    ur the smart one.. you thought of a waiver in the first place !! I just sent the email to Beverly and Jen.

17. firstsonofsolo

Feb 2, 2006
    I was reffering a donation to our group not to a charity. If we charge for parties then we made need insurance if something does happen you guys just jumped the gun on me. I believe one of the main laws is there has to be at least two persons present at all times. I would say if you went by yourself and a parent is there that would be legal BUT if something does happen it would be better if an additional TFF memeber was there. I hate to say this but we needto consider the possibility of a lawsuit if something were to happen. Not saying that it will ever but as I always say prepare for the worse and pray for the best!

18. cathiecat

Mar 24, 2005
    thank you for the clarification.. yes, you have very good points here in all areas, I think there should always be two people on hand with the group.. and also if those two people are both in costume.. there should ALWAYS be at least one member on hand with no costume on at all. we will need to check to see if we need insurance or not.. I had not actually considered this.. I will check into it. thank you for your thinking on this matter.

19. Jada

Jada Jedi Master star 6

Apr 20, 2006
    OK, I'm going to have to say I can't make this event. :(

I've got less than two weeks til I get married and all of a sudden I see things that I'll need to be scrambling to do. [face_plain]

Sorry folks.

20. cathiecat

Mar 24, 2005
    this is the reply I got from Jen when I asked her about waivers.. take to heart she is a lawyer as well..

We (DSG) don't have anything like that. There would be no way to have every kid and parent sign such a thing. Besides, if someone is bound and determined to sue, boilerplate documents like that usually go down pretty fast. The good news is that for anyone to successfully sue us, they would need to establish gross negligence or intent on the part of one of our people, and would have to defend themselves from the fact that they were assuming some degree of risk by just being around guys with buckets on their heads.

Hope this helps.

21. hal9k1

Dec 22, 2003
    I was thinking a waver on the website or something, nothing as elaborate as having other people sign it. Just something that is posted saying because (as Jen said) we have buckets or other visual impairments any altercation is just an accident. Kind of like posting a disclaimer, it is posted on public for all to see, if they choose not to look at it then it's not our responsibility, but it is posted. Just what I can think of right now.

22. cathiecat

Mar 24, 2005
    we can't post anything like that on our website as a fan force group is not a costuming group. Members of the Fan Force choose to dress up for events that the fan force does, but it is not what the Fan Force is.

23. firstsonofsolo

Feb 2, 2006
    but any proceeds from said events would go to the fan force and not the memebrs? or they would go to the actual people that were costumed?

24. cathiecat

Mar 24, 2005
    Chris has brought up this very valid point that we should discuss.. as Fan Force is not a costuming group, in fact the Fan Force as a whole is considered a non-costuming fan organization, though as we well know many fan force members do indeed have and wear costumes to fan force events.. which is the norm for most all fan force groups. So therefore, TFF can not technically accept money from a costume appearance members of the group do.. if members of our group dress in costume and entertain at a party and recieve compensation for doing so.. I would have to say that it is up to those individuals what they choose to do with the money earned.. I would hope this would include their wrangler/or wranglers as the case may be.. as I think it can be agreed that you can't always function in a bucket without a person not in a bucket to help you(kind of like the party clown or magician that comes to a child's birthday party, they occasionally have an assistant as well). As we do not have an account set up for TFF there is no where to put money for the group currently anyway. I guess when I mentioned collecting compensation for parties I did not specify.. yes.. it would be those who did the party that would receive the money, and it would then be up to those same individuals what they chose to do with the money.. be it.. pay bills, eat out, buy toys, or work on their costumes.

Now another question that needs to be answered.. as three of our fan force members have applied for 501st membership and have been told it will be just a matter of time.. and they plan on appling for outpost status..does this already mean they are under the umbrella of the 501st.. which means they can not accept money for compensation already, they can only accept donations to charities.. this is a question that I think probably needs an answer.

this being the case it does not really fall to the Fan Force to make a decision about this, and if you are not a member of the 501st or the Rebel Legion it would then become a personal decision that would have to be made as to what someone would ask for as payment for a costumed appearance, however.. if you attend an event with a member of the 501st or the Rebel Legion then I would assume you attend under their umbrella of guidelines.

Now this is different from what we (TFF) do with organized events and fundraisers.. Tucson Fan Force can indeed attend/and organize Charity Events and Fundraisers. it just so happens that many members of our Fan Force group choose to do these events in Costume. This is something we have discussed.. but I fear we have not discussed it enough as perhaps it is felt that the Tucson Fan Force is in fact a costuming group, which in fact we are not, we just have many members that do costuming.. myself included, though not lately I know.. but that is hopefully soon to change.. I want to be in costume, I just think I look completely dowdy in my current costume.. but that is a different subject entirely and I digress.. so back to subject at hand.

This came about because many members of the TFF wanted to get into costuming, and get into we have.. in a great way.. and we certainly use the fan force to enjoy getting together to promote and enjoy celebrating costuming... which other fan force groups do as well, I want to be sure to get the point across.. I am not saying TFF is not into costuming.. because our members ARE into Costuming.. we are just not solely BASED on costuming. I point this out to explain the reasoning behind what I said about the TFF not accepting money.. though as members of the fan force we can in fact give money to fund what the group does, though currently we do not have a treasurer to do this.. and many fan force groups do in fact pass a hat at meetings to pay for the events they do, or they ask for dues or whatever.. our group has not chosen to do either of these things.. what we do is just pitch in on events when we can, I believe in fact we voted to not have dues or pass the hat, just to pay our own way for what we do.. and help e

25. firstsonofsolo

Feb 2, 2006
    Now here are some more questions. If a 501st memeber attends a function of TFN I would say they are not under the umbrella of the 501st but that of TFN. This being said if TFN were to accept compensation for time I would say that the 501st memebers percentage of such amount would have to go to a charity. Now this brings up yet another question. Is that person a 501st meber or is their costume, because for those that have multiple costumes they could in fact dress in something else to accept compensations. Now lastly if a 501st member were not at a sanctioned 501st event would they still be bound by not accepting said compensations? It seems to me that if someone asks another person singly to attend a party in costume that they would in fact be able to. I would then consider a compensation a "TIP" rather a donation or payment because it is an appreciation not a paymnet.

Sorry for all the rambling but I think I see where this is heading and that is the point I am trying to get across. It will be very difficult for us to do these things as a group. I would say if someone says "hey can I have the wookie attend my son/daughters party" I think the response should be " I don't know if he can but here is his contact information and you can call him and discuss it with him personally" Now keep in mind we will ONLY
    provide contact info if a memeber agrees to it. Now say said person wants to do said event I would think that they would set it up and ask for a wrangler of their own and then delegate where said "tips" where spent or used.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.