main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Birthers, Tenthers, and now Thirteenthers

Discussion in 'Archive: The Senate Floor' started by DarthIktomi, Aug 4, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DarthIktomi

DarthIktomi Jedi Padawan star 4

May 11, 2009
    Has anyone else heard about the "original Thirteenth Amendment"? Don't worry, they're not favoring a return to slavery; their argument is that since Obama got a Nobel Prize, under the original Thirteenth Amendment, he'd no longer be a U.S. Citizen. Of course, that amendment was never ratified, so...

2. Lord Vivec

Lord Vivec Chosen One star 9

Apr 17, 2006
    That would mean that any American who got a nobel prize would no longer be a citizen. Considering the prize is as aspiration for many Americans in the sciences, this looks stupid.

Also it'll never get through. Ever.

3. Raven

Raven Administrator Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 5, 1998
    Do you mean the Titles of Nobility Amendment? Since it was never ratified, it was never on the books, and it could not be used retroactively unless specifically written as such. Further, since as written, Congress could authorize Obama to recieve his cash prize (didn't he donate it anyways?) it wouldn't affect his ability to govern.

4. Alpha-Red

Alpha-Red Chosen One star 7

Apr 25, 2004
    Leave it to the Tea Party to drag up some archaic piece of legislation that never got passed, is not important or relevant in any way, and which nobody has ever heard of....just to take another cheap shot at Obama.

5. DorkmanScott

DorkmanScott Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 26, 2001
    Imagine if they applied this level of close reading to all of the recent legislation they think they oppose.

6. Raven

Raven Administrator Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 5, 1998
    While they may be Tea Party members, there's also a possibility that they are not. Further, it certainly doesn't indicate that the average Tea Party member supports (or is even aware of) this idea.

7. DarthIshtar

DarthIshtar Chosen One star 10

Mar 26, 2001
    Okay, that is just desperation on anyone's part. Let's claim that our xenophobic paranoia is now justified by our nation's leader receiving a huge honor. Yay. As if it's not bad enough that in spite of voting for Obama, I still get all of the Sarah Palin ads on Facebook.

8. Lady_Sami_J_Kenobi

Lady_Sami_J_Kenobi Jedi Master star 6

Jul 31, 2002
    Unbesmurffingbelievable!

If anyone had any doubt about there still being racism in our country, this puts that doubt to rest.

If Obama were white, there would not be this ridiculous level of scrutiny into his birthplace, or anything else about him.

Many Americans have accepted the Nobel Peace Prize. I doubt very much that even if this amendment were ratified, it would apply to them.

I'll have to do a little more research, but I do think that the Nobel Prize Committee is made up of multi-national members.

So, it isn't just one government or foreign power conferring the honor, pension, or prize.

9. Kimball_Kinnison

Kimball_Kinnison Jedi Grand Master star 6

Oct 28, 2001
    The Nobel Peace Prize is awarded by the Norwegian Nobel Committee, which is made up of 5 people appointed by the Norwegian Parliament.

That could fit the definition of accepting a "present" or "honour" from a "foreign power" under the terms of that amendment (if it were to be ratified).

Kimball Kinnison

10. Cheveyo

Cheveyo Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 29, 2001
    Ahh, but you guys are missing the punchline to all this. You see, according to reports, it is the Republican Party of Iowa that has been promoting this idea in their party platform. Here's one link, duly noted as biased: huffingtonpost.com

Check out the punch line at the end:

[face_laugh] [face_laugh]

11. Lady_Sami_J_Kenobi

Jul 31, 2002
    Thanks for the info, KK. You always provide me with info I didn't have.

I would never accept a Nobel Prize in the first place because Alfred Nobel is famous for inventing TNT.

And, one other question, do we really need Iowa as a state? ;)

12. MeBeJedi

MeBeJedi Force Ghost star 6

May 30, 2002
    I was under the impression that that was part of his motivation for creating the Peace Prize.

13. Rogue_Ten

Rogue_Ten Chosen One star 7

Aug 18, 2002
    I somehow doubt the individuals favoring this have the prospect of winning a prize in the sciences in their future.

14. Espaldapalabras

Espaldapalabras Jedi Master star 5

Aug 25, 2005
    This is just one of those things that I just scratch my head and wonder why we are even talking about it.

We can't even get a party that had 60 seats in the Senate, a large majority in the House, and the Presidency to really be able to do all that much, and we are talking about potential Constitutional Amendments? Maybe when this country can just pass legislation on a regular basis then we can worry about the problems of not enough gridlock.

15. MeBeJedi

May 30, 2002
    QFT!

16. Lady_Sami_J_Kenobi

Jul 31, 2002
    That's what motivated the prize, yes. But, by the same token, the prize is still basically funded by blood money and I wouldn't feel right helping to assuage the guilt of a man who made his money in armaments by accepting the prize.

This will probably be worthy of its own thread, but now some Republicans want to redefine the 14th amendment where it states that all persons born in the US are US citizens.

17. Cheveyo

Oct 29, 2001
    Are they "Fourteenthers"? ;) Actually I've heard of this. There's a lot of talk in my home state (AZ) of pushing for the elimination of what they affectionately call "anchor babies", those children allegedly born in the U.S. for the sole purpose of establishing a fast path for the parents to get residency or nationalization.

So, in essence, they want to legislate a reinterpretation of the Constitution so that you are only born a citizen of the US if you are born on US soil to parents who are already US citizens. From this article:

18. Lady_Sami_J_Kenobi

Jul 31, 2002
    Hmm, I think the 'foreign visitors' might be stretched to cover babies born to illegals, especially those women who cross the border just as they are going into labor, then go back across the border a few days later. They cross the border to get better medical care, but under the law right now, the baby is a US citizen.

Don't know how it would affect babies born to illegals who have been here for years and years, as that would seem to nullify the visitor section of that clause.

19. Lord Vivec

Lord Vivec Chosen One star 9

Apr 17, 2006
    There is nothing inherently evil about TNT, but i guess that is for another topic.

20. Jedi_Keiran_Halcyon

Jedi_Keiran_Halcyon Jedi Knight star 6

Dec 17, 2000
    Point of order: Nobel invented dynamite, not TNT (and despite what Chuck Jones and Mel Blanc would have you think they are two different things:p).

21. Rogue_Ten

Rogue_Ten Chosen One star 7

Aug 18, 2002
    Constitutional Amendments are one of the aspects of the American political process that has always seemed fantastical to me, having grown up in the political climate that I did.

How the hell are you gonna find enough states to ratify an amendment on anything anyone cares about these days? :p

22. MeBeJedi

May 30, 2002
    Well, the Repubs that are vulnerable in their districts or beholden to the extreme right are going to run with it, because they KNOW it'll never pass, and yet can accuse who is against it of having contributed to its failure. It also makes for great sound bites for the uninformed.

23. Lady_Sami_J_Kenobi

Jul 31, 2002
    Tri-nitro-toulene or dynamite, which one has nitroglycerin in it? Or do they both?

I get their inventors confused, but then, I'm not an explosives expert. Just don't like things that make it easier for people to kill people.

I know both TNT and dynamite have uses other than warfare, but it seems warfare is where new devices are used/developed more often than not.

24. Jedi_Keiran_Halcyon

Jedi_Keiran_Halcyon Jedi Knight star 6

Dec 17, 2000
    Then I take it you also hate cars, airplanes, radio, radar, satellites, the internet, photography, writing, math, physics, chemistry, and biology (especially anatomy), among other things?:p

25. Cheveyo

Oct 29, 2001
    You forgot boulders.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.